Author Topic: Cincinnati Enquirer  (Read 103579 times)

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
Cincinnati Enquirer
« on: June 08, 2005, 07:32:48 PM »
I just noticed the Enquirer just started charging $1.99 for any searches older than one week, what a cheap-a$$, bullsh!t move!  So, if you see any images in the online edition you like, you may want to copy them to your computer right away.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:50:46 PM by I Love Lee's! »
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 08:18:14 PM »
I thought they had been doing that for a while.  But it seems kind of backwards to me--shouldn't you charge for fresh content and let people look at the out-of-date stuff for free?

You can get around it though...if you search through Google and the article comes up, you don't have to pay.
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 08:42:46 AM »
Grasscat, that is exactly what I did.  It just pisses me off though.
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline Buckeye Native 001

• Coastal Dick
  • 367'-PNC Bank
  • Dry air, please
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 11:56:41 AM »
At least you don't have to pay $4.95 a month just to access the front page, like the Columbus Dispatch.
"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

Offline SarahBeth

• 468'-Scripps Center
    • flickr photo album
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 12:00:47 AM »
You know what's kind of funny about the Dispatch... I subscribed for weekend delivery in 2003, and stopped getting the paper in summer 2004, but they are still sending me the daily headlines in my email and allowing me to access the website free of charge.  ??
Go Bucks!
my photos

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 05:58:52 PM »
I got to thinking of this, and today is a perfect example.  In the "Local News" section, there are more than twice as many Northern Kentucky stories as there are Ohio stories:
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=NEWS01

This happens every day.

Even back when the Coingate scandal was heating up, the Enquirer barely covered it at all.  Their Ohio coverage in general is piss poor.

Meanwhile, they create "nky.com" and bombard their Enquirer.com newspaper site with NKY stories that are better covered in a small community papers (Meaning, stories with little broad appeal.).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Sorry for the rant.

Offline Cincinnatus

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Male/33/Cincinnati - BBW - Enjoys parks
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 07:14:45 PM »
I say we all try to get jobs there and take the place over! Who's with me?  ;)

I can write.  :-D
The opening of IKEA just might save Cincinnati from the nation-wide economic downturn. -Jack Atherton

Offline RiverViewer

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • CincinnatiRoads.com
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 11:15:26 PM »
Are there any papers that ever cover the statehouse well?  It's surprising, since that's really where the rubber meets the road for most residents and businesses, sometimes much more than foreign policy or federal law, but coverage of it has always seemed weak, when I lived up north (although the paper I read then was the Medina County Gazette), and down here...

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 11:44:47 PM »
The Toledo Blade has done an excellent job in covering the statehouse, at least in the two years I've looked at it.  The Dispatch is probably second, and they have the benefit of having things going down in their own backyard.  I would put Cleveland and Dayton somewhere around third and fourth for the major dailies.  Akron's paper's been crap recently.

Offline Magyar

• Former Ohio Highway Historian
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Delaware County Historian
    • Last Louisiana Juke Joint
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 02:00:34 AM »
Are there any papers that ever cover the statehouse well?  It's surprising, since that's really where the rubber meets the road for most residents and businesses, sometimes much more than foreign policy or federal law, but coverage of it has always seemed weak, when I lived up north (although the paper I read then was the Medina County Gazette), and down here...

Little papers like the Medina County Gazette and the Delaware Gazette can't afford to have reporters at the statehouse.  They get their state news from the AP wire.
Other than the Enquier, Plain Dealer, and Dispatch, I wouldn't be surprised if the other papers in Ohio get the majority of their statehouse coverage from wire reports.

Offline Mr Sparkle

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 01:41:37 PM »
They cover too much UK sports too

Offline Jeff

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 06:32:04 PM »
The last statement all of a sudden makes sense.

Since the Dayton paper and Middletown paper dominate the area directly north of Cincinnati, from Middletown and Lebanon north, the Cincinnati papers out-of-city market probably dips way down into rural northern Kentucky...deeper than just the Covington/Newport/Boone County area but extending to the next tier of counties south, like Pendleton and Grant, and east along the Ohio River to probably Augusta.

So they Enquirer is could be really reaching down into Kentucky for their market and readership, beyond metro Cincinnati.

Offline xumelanie

• Premium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 06:35:36 PM »
Since they call themselves "The Cincinnati Enquirer," it would be nice to seem them actually cover the good stuff about downtown and the neighborhoods within the city.  I get the impression that the Enquirer only likes to cover positive stories if it's in Northern Kentucky, West Chester, or Mason.  If it's going on in the urban core, then forget it!

Offline Jeff

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006, 07:59:52 PM »
Yeah, there has been discussion here of percieved bias in the Enquirers urban coverage.  I dont read that paper, but from what ive read on this Urban Ohio site, it seems they really are "not helping" when it comes to urban revitalization.

Offline kendall

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 07:11:55 AM »
I've been noticing the NKY favoritism lately too.  Curious considering that a minority of the region's population lives there, and they're not even in a newspaper turf war. I remember reading an article under a headline that started "Downtown business ..." and it was about Florence!!!

The Enquirer was already a worthless piece of S**t, but now that it doesn't talk about things that happen where I live or frequent, I hardly ever read it anymore, even online.

Offline Cincykidbc1

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 09:07:04 PM »
   As far as sports go, I had just started accepting the fact that NKY is part of the tri-state and so therefor there are a lot of Kentucky Wildcat fans.
   But lately I've noticed a lot of Louisville Cardinal coverage in the paper and on the radio also.
   It's getting a little ridiculous. The other day 1360 HOMER had the Louisville basketball game PLUS the Rick Pitino show on. I thought I was in the wrong city.
   I can see the Kentucky coverage, but come on, Louisville? Give me a break. Stop helping these schools recruit kids from our city for Christ sakes.
I feel weak. Development... too slow. Someone... help us...please!!!

Offline Mr Sparkle

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 07:01:14 AM »
I would like to see more coverage of tOSU --- for example, Sunday (yesterday) the game previews had 1 story for tOSU and 2 stories plus a UK "notebook" for Kentucky - I would like to think there are more fans of tOSU in the Enqurier's market area, since there is more population in Ohio in the metro. Then again UK is the only sport for the most of Kentucky. Maybe there is more UofL coverage since they have been in UC's league for a few years

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 09:28:37 PM »
I saw the front page of The Enquirer and it was talking about new development in OTR and it sounded like they were suggesting OTR is changing for the better. I don't know.  Maybe they're changing that.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 09:29:54 PM by David »
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline skram

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 10:27:57 AM »
Talking about their sports coverage...Look at Miami.  They are only 40 miles from Cincy and you don't see a damn thing in the paper about their hockey team, which is #2 in the nation. 

I guess it's b/c they have 2 things going against them:
1. No news (tv or paper) gives a damn about Miami (unless its about rapes & drinking)
2. No news (tv or paper) gives a damn about hockey
"If Bob Taft supports it, you know it's screwed up"
~ Bill Cunningham

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • Premium Member
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 12:48:29 PM »
For one I don't call Greater Cincinnati, Tri-State.  Hearing Tri-State is quite annoying. 

Second, Cincinnati is in Ohio and while the metro spills into Kentucky & Indiana, the news from the papers should be about Ohio first and foremost.  As for sports, UK is not even located in Greater Cincinnati and should not be part of any headline associated with a local paper.  Miami Univerisity of Oxford is located in Greater Cincinnati and should get more attention.

Lastly, we all need to buy the Cincinnati Post from Scripps and make it a morning paper again that competes with the Enquirer head to head.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 03:40:18 PM by montecarloss »

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 08:26:08 PM »
Since they call themselves "The Cincinnati Enquirer," it would be nice to seem them actually cover the good stuff about downtown and the neighborhoods within the city.  I get the impression that the Enquirer only likes to cover positive stories if it's in Northern Kentucky, West Chester, or Mason.  If it's going on in the urban core, then forget it!

This is very true.  The writer that covers regional development, for the enquirer, came into my urban lobbying class and spoke with us.  I asked him why it seems that every story about the inner city is negative while most stories about the suburbs are postive.  He responded by saying that he reports what the story is and how it has been developing.  As for the fact of not covering positive stories at all...he said that he is new to the job and that he would try to address that.....we'll see

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 08:28:03 PM »
Maybe lack of inner city coverage is a reflection on the geographical location of their staff??
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline Magyar

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 08:46:09 PM »
^^Urban Lobbying Course?! :?

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • Premium Member
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 09:12:54 PM »
Maybe lack of inner city coverage is a reflection on the geographical location of their staff??

David we probably don't realize how close to the truth your comment really is...

Offline penna_rosa

• New User
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »

Ha. Having worked at a paper in Northeastern Ohio, I was amazed how many staff members lived in the same part of town. Where I'm working now (not Cinci, mind you, but another C-town) there seems to be a good number of people eschewing the 'burbs and such.

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 01:37:01 PM »

Ha. Having worked at a paper in Northeastern Ohio, I was amazed how many staff members lived in the same part of town. Where I'm working now (not Cinci, mind you, but another C-town) there seems to be a good number of people eschewing the 'burbs and such.
It was just a thought. I wasn't claiming that it was true, however someone in Kentucky can live closer to their job at the Enquirer compared to someone still in Columbus' city limits working at the Dispatch (If the Dispatch is centrally located. I'm under the impression it's downtown.) Since metro and city population are two entirely different things, I think every paper needs to cover all parts of the metro for the benefit of the whole region. This includes small papers doing articles on downtown and the inner city.

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 06:20:37 PM »

Why yes...how did you guess?  Professor Grundy is awesome, I am taking the 3rd class this quarter and looking forward to it I might add.  I just love group discussions (this is why I enjoy UrbanOhio)

Offline Magyar

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »

Why yes...how did you guess?  Professor Grundy is awesome, I am taking the 3rd class this quarter and looking forward to it I might add.  I just love group discussions (this is why I enjoy UrbanOhio)

I guess because you mentioned it beforehand.  What's discussed/taught in Urban Lobbying?

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2006, 02:33:29 PM »
^It is a class about urban politics.  Every class you have two speakers come in and discuss a guided topic for the class.  These speakers usually have a connection to the topic you are discussing.  Last quarter we talked with those who deal with politics in the media.  This quarter will be about 'citizen activism'.

Online ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 02:41:29 PM »
^Is that offered in the summer?

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • Premium Member
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2006, 10:31:45 AM »
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 10:32:04 AM by montecarloss »

Offline Magyar

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2006, 11:55:03 AM »
^^ 13 months later, you can read the Dispatch online for free now.  :clap:

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2006, 11:59:51 AM »
Go to the downtown library. They're the best archive for the Cincinnati Enquirer. ;]

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2006, 05:46:58 PM »
Its starting to get awfully disgusting!!!  I went on the Enquirer's website to see what news there was in Cincinnati today, and I believe that out of the entire paper there were only a handful of articles about the city itself (even Hamilton County).

Almost every damn article I went through was for Butler County this....Warren County that.....Nky, etc!!  I couldn't believe it.  One Headline read something along the lines of 'Downtown looking for artists to fill empty storefronts'.  I was intrigued to say the least......then I opened the article and it was for Middletown!?!?!?!?!?!  No offense to Middletown, but when you say downtown in a headline without mentioning a city name.....then its CINCINNATI.  This is the CINCINNATI metropolitan region, NOT Middletown!!!!

The Enquirer better start getting these things right SOON!  I am one of their rare young subscribers, and I will quickly quit subscribing and visiting their site all together, if this S**t continues!!!

THIS IS CINCINNATI.....DON'T FORGET THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2006, 05:53:42 PM »
LOL.

Downtown, as in a downtown, it has nothing to do with Cincinnati or Middletown.

Headlines read like that. If you read "Mother eats spinach with ecoli" do you assume its your mother? Or "Cats die in heat streak," would you assume its the Bearcats?

Sounds like wining to me. ;)

Remove Ads