Author Topic: Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport  (Read 64161 times)

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport
« Reply #280 on: February 08, 2017, 08:55:23 PM »
^ BKL-LUK which quickly became Ultimate's busiest route, is a good spine to build on. I'm expecting BKL-MMU to become LUK-BKL-MMU at some point. Their profitability depends on cheap fuel, however; who knows how long that will last?

Are they hedging fuel?   Hopefully they have some cash to buy now.
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #281 on: February 23, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »

DoT's latest data release shows Ultimate's BKL-LUK route has grown to 1,598 passengers with a 66.9% load factor in November (typically a weak month at CLE). 

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #282 on: February 23, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
Ultimate just added a Burke to Peachtree-Atlanta route.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #283 on: February 23, 2017, 08:23:54 PM »
^announced, but didn't begin yet. supposed to start on 3/20/17.  Morristown, NJ service from BKL was supposed to start in January, I believe, but as far as I know, it didn't.

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #284 on: February 24, 2017, 12:10:48 AM »
^announced, but didn't begin yet. supposed to start on 3/20/17.  Morristown, NJ service from BKL was supposed to start in January, I believe, but as far as I know, it didn't.

Morristown started but apparently didn't succeed, the schedule was not great for business travel. Last operation was 2/22/17.

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #285 on: February 24, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
^I thought they were a smart company, but not sure why they thought "NYC" 3x/week and all trips requiring an overnight stay on both sides would be a sellable thing. ANYONE would pay $100 more and fly into LGA and be able to fly in and out the same day---that's what they were competing against.  I'd love to see BKL-LGA---but it must be done right to be enough of a market differentiator if they're trying to take from UA/DL/AA--and maintain schedule flexibility for the passenger.

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #286 on: February 24, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »
^I thought they were a smart company, but not sure why they thought "NYC" 3x/week and all trips requiring an overnight stay on both sides would be a sellable thing.

I agree the 3x/bad schedule thing was a mistake. Still, LUK-MMU runs with 70% loads. With better timing, I think BKL-LUK could work. Better timing, however means Ultimate leaves  their planes on the ground for the middle of the day, flying only a few hours unless they can pick up a mid-day charter.  I guess that's why they're growing slowly; they have to find really cheap planes to afford the low utilization - and while fuel is relatively cheap, the prices of their preferred aircraft have risen. 

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #287 on: February 24, 2017, 12:16:36 PM »
^I thought they were a smart company, but not sure why they thought "NYC" 3x/week and all trips requiring an overnight stay on both sides would be a sellable thing.

I agree the 3x/bad schedule thing was a mistake. Still, LUK-MMU runs with 70% loads. With better timing, I think BKL-LUK could work. Better timing, however means Ultimate leaves  their planes on the ground for the middle of the day, flying only a few hours unless they can pick up a mid-day charter.  I guess that's why they're growing slowly; they have to find really cheap planes to afford the low utilization - and while fuel is relatively cheap, the prices of their preferred aircraft have risen. 

I'm surprised they aren't using prop aircraft, especially on a short route like BKL-LUK.   With a similar luxurious seating configuration I don't think many would complain.  Porter has had huge success up in Canada with their entire fleet of Q400's including on their international routes to NYC and Boston. 

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #288 on: March 17, 2017, 03:40:36 AM »
More good news for Burke. Final numbers are in for 2016 and BKL passengers were 16,418. To put this into some kind of context, that is a bigger number than most airports in the federal Essential Air Service subsidy program.

Ultimate Shuttle's load factor for the year was 55.5%, although traffic built through the year. Sept-Dec all had loads over 60%.

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
^Excellent. That makes Burke the 382nd biggest airport for passenger departures in the US. Hopkins ranks 45th....(was around 36th/38th with the CO hub).

Offline Dougal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #290 on: April 27, 2017, 12:53:03 AM »
January '17 traffic at Burke was up 51% over the prior year.  I know we're dealing with tiny numbers, but it's still interesting.  Raw numbers of passengers: 647 this year vs 428 last. It's not clear how much of this was Morristown flights, but Ultimate operated only 4 more flights this January than last; so most of the growth is real.

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #291 on: April 27, 2017, 07:49:13 AM »
January '17 traffic at Burke was up 51% over the prior year.  I know we're dealing with tiny numbers, but it's still interesting.  Raw numbers of passengers: 647 this year vs 428 last. It's not clear how much of this was Morristown flights, but Ultimate operated only 4 more flights this January than last; so most of the growth is real.

Just a visual note, in driving by on the Shoreway I've seen a LOT more private turbine and even small GA piston aircraft parked on the new Signature ramp.  I wonder with the new building if Signature isn't upping their aircraft services out of this location. 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #292 on: August 12, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »
Was downtown on Thursday having dinner at Nuevo and then playing with my son at crowded Voinovich Park afterwards. Every month or so we shoot off rocket copters there and this time there seemed to be a lot more planes landing than I can recall. Is there a website that publicly reports general aviation flight operations at Burke? And does anyone know how Ultimate Air is doing?
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #293 on: August 12, 2017, 11:43:00 PM »
Was downtown on Thursday having dinner at Nuevo and then playing with my son at crowded Voinovich Park afterwards. Every month or so we shoot off rocket copters there and this time there seemed to be a lot more planes landing than I can recall. Is there a website that publicly reports general aviation flight operations at Burke? And does anyone know how Ultimate Air is doing?

Does this help?

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBKL

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #294 on: August 13, 2017, 07:02:54 AM »
County (KCGF) was closed for the summer, which definitely increased operations at Burke.   I believe it has just reopened.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »

Does this help?

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBKL

It would if the historical data was free, which it should be coming from a publicly owned airport. So who's the non-profit informational resource from which this information is derived?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:49:19 AM by KJP »
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #296 on: August 13, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »
FAA ops site can give you operations data by aircraft type (military, airliner, commuter jet, etc.)  and flight type (itinerant or local) by month.  Re Ultimate, their numbers are strong and steady; 70% load factors in May.

Remove Ads