Author Topic: Cleveland: Stonebridge/Flats West Developments  (Read 74576 times)

Online simplythis

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
Re: Cleveland: Stonebridge/Flats West development
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of the tenk building

Offline twok2lcdcnc

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2008, 11:48:56 AM »
^ I will go take one, brb...

Offline twok2lcdcnc

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »
Okay, well, I took a couple from my balcony... they didn't turn out as great as I thought they would... so I got carried away a little bit. Sorry for the low quality pics (my cell phone is the only camera I have right now, my digital cam isn't here with me)

Here we go...

Front of the building on Center st.

Washington Ave. side.

Front, again.

Awning/loading docks on the corner of Center/Winslow

North side of building, I'm facing east towards Center.

Around back. I had my arm thru the fence to take these pics. I thought about climbing over it but that's probably not a good idea wearing gym shorts and flip flops.

Offline twok2lcdcnc

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2008, 12:36:20 PM »
And not to be negative or anything... but after seeing it in person, if this building was to be rehabed, it would need a TON of work. And I'm sure the layout of the building(s) are nowhere near what the stonebridge developers have in mind.

Don't get me wrong. It'd be cool to have something historic, but I don't think it's very practical at all. Just my opinion!

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2008, 01:30:09 PM »
I don't think SB is going to do anything at all with it, it may be up for grabs. I actually like the front a lot.  I hope someone gets a hold of it and does something with it. I have no idea what it looks like from the inside though.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »
And not to be negative or anything... but after seeing it in person, if this building was to be rehabed, it would need a TON of work. And I'm sure the layout of the building(s) are nowhere near what the stonebridge developers have in mind.

Don't get me wrong. It'd be cool to have something historic, but I don't think it's very practical at all. Just my opinion!

thats whats wrong with you whippersnappers.  You see "problems' instead of "opportunities"!  Damnit!!

I see:
– 4,5 no more than 10 new construction levels but at varying heights.
– Balcony's or sun rooms
– Large windows (I get the feeling lots of windows, have been covered)
– Brink interiors
– unique floor plans
– industrial curb appeal
– potential for lower level unit's to have private entry

my 2 ’     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline twok2lcdcnc

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2008, 03:34:59 PM »

thats whats wrong with you whippersnappers.  You see "problems' instead of "opportunities"!  Damnit!!

I see:
– 4,5 no more than 10 new construction levels but at varying heights.
– Balcony's or sun rooms
– Large windows (I get the feeling lots of windows, have been covered)
– Brink interiors
– unique floor plans
– industrial curb appeal
– potential for lower level unit's to have private entry

I will agree that maybe I'm a little bit handicapped with my creative side when it comes to stuff like this... but I'm just remembering how when phase 5 was built, everybody bitched that it wasn't friendly or inviting on the street level. Just looking at this building, I'm having a REALLY hard time seeing how it could be made to have the retail stores, restaurants, etc. that we all know the neighborhood could use.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:36:47 PM by twok2lcdcnc »

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
hopefully Tenk will be saved. Don't think K and D is going to do it. Maybe who ever buys the left bank building will do something with Tenk too.  :wink:

The west bank will still rise.

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2008, 10:06:52 PM »
Peabody, why do you think K and D wont be doing anything with it?  Shifting priorities?  Hands full?  I can see that...
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline glutmax

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »
LOL, I was in a wedding party that got some of their post wedding shots outside the Tenk building, about 3 weeks ago.  The photographer wanted some urban grit--half the wedding party thought it was awesome, the other half thought that it was "ghetto" and wanted to go to the beach.  We went to Edgewater, had some good pics, and then one of the brides maids looked down at their feet and noticed a used condom stuck under their choo's.  We scrambled out of their fast, finished on the mall across from the marriott.  The point at the end was we should have stayed at the Tenk building, the best photos ended up being there-great contrast.
Born in Paine, livin the 'Wood. . .

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2008, 03:49:12 AM »

Um, some perspective please!! Get in my time machine and ride back with me to the early 1990s to see what the National Terminals building, between West 10th and West 9th next to Main Avenue looked like. It's a massive building that was in horrible shape, and few people thought it could be saved.

And you should've seen what the Powerhouse on the West Bank of the Flats looked like in the mid-1980s. It had no roof, no windows and piles of junk and tires illegally dumped in the center of its crumbling walls. There's a picture of it on here, I think in one of those great photo threads of Cleveland in the 1980s.

You'd be amazed what some vision, some TLC and a good chunk of money can do for a building.

The Tenk Building is a very sound building. And Bob Corna of K&D can't wait to get his hands on doing some cool stuff with its exposed brick!
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #186 on: June 29, 2008, 09:40:42 AM »
Bob Corna is no longer with K&D. And they have suspended growth on the WB. As we know they are focused on other parts of downtown now.

Offline Firenze98

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #187 on: June 29, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »

And you should've seen what the Powerhouse on the West Bank of the Flats looked like in the mid-1980s. It had no roof, no windows and piles of junk and tires illegally dumped in the center of its crumbling walls. There's a picture of it on here, I think in one of those great photo threads of Cleveland in the 1980s.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/juice95m3/3066.jpg
Cleveland Press
Knipper, Clayton
Cleveland State University Library Special Collections

Kind of like that huh.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:00:08 PM by Mildtraumatic »
"All architecture is shelter, all great architecture is the design of space that contains, cuddles, exhalts or stimulates the persons in that space."
Philip Johnson

“Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!”  
Leonardo da Vinci

AIA, LEED BD+C, EDAC

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #188 on: June 29, 2008, 09:12:25 PM »
Yep, kinda. Except you can tell they've already started site preparation. Gone are the small trees, piles of tires and junk with weeds growing up through them, and then there the rats. They didn't get much bigger than the ones that grew in the Flats back then! As big as dogs, I tell ya!

I wasn't aware Bob Corna is no longer at K&D. I guess that little tiff between Doug Price and Bob Corna over the Bruer project got things going?

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »
Yep, kinda. Except you can tell they've already started site preparation. Gone are the small trees, piles of tires and junk with weeds growing up through them, and then there the rats. They didn't get much bigger than the ones that grew in the Flats back then! As big as dogs, I tell ya!

I wasn't aware Bob Corna is no longer at K&D. I guess that little tiff between Doug Price and Bob Corna over the Bruer project got things going?
knowing the players, it could have been any number of reasons I suppose.

I still think other eyes have drifted over to the westbank when the ball was in play in other parts of the city field. K and D openly said they were slowing growth for now on the westbank to look at other parts of the city as well as let the market pick up.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2008, 11:11:56 AM »
whats this with the formage? please say it ain't so!?!?  :x  :whip:

"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2008, 11:18:31 AM »
The arch is already there. The design review is for the lettering. Which, I agree, is a horrid idea.

Why do so many tenants/companies have to have a freaking branding sign?

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2008, 11:24:52 AM »
The arch is already there. The design review is for the lettering. Which, I agree, is a horrid idea.

You just answered your own question!  How are you going to know who we are?  It's call brand extension!  Get used to it!
my 2 ’     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2008, 11:27:54 AM »

You just answered your own question!  How are you going to know who we are?  It's call brand extension!  Get used to it!

MTS, I didn't answer my own question. That didn't even make sense.

I'm stating an opinion, which, the last I checked, I'm allowed to do on this group. I'm sick and tired of your badgering, quite honestly. Stop attacking me and other people for the opinions we have. Start showing some respect for people and stop acting like a spoiled little brat.

You don't own the group, you're not a mod. You have no right to do that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:30:34 AM by jpop »

Online gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #194 on: July 09, 2008, 11:35:13 AM »
I hear you JPOP.  I can't stand when complexes put big signs on them like that as if you are leaving the city of Cleveland and heading into the City of Stonebridge.  It really breaks up the inner city neighborhood fealing and makes it feal less like a continuous neighborhood stretching from Ohio City to Flasts westbank to Downtown.  It is almost like a sign they would put on an apartment complex in the burbs.  Gives it that gated fealing that means people other than tenants can't venture into there.  I would hate it if the Avenue District spanned a sign across 12th as if you were leaving the city. 

Offline Florida Guy

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2008, 11:43:37 AM »
It's not so bad... when altered... :wink:

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2008, 11:49:11 AM »
I hear you JPOP.  I can't stand when complexes put big signs on them like that as if you are leaving the city of Cleveland and heading into the City of Stonebridge.  It really breaks up the inner city neighborhood fealing and makes it feal less like a continuous neighborhood stretching from Ohio City to Flasts westbank to Downtown.  It is almost like a sign they would put on an apartment complex in the burbs.  Gives it that gated fealing that means people other than tenants can't venture into there.  I would hate it if the Avenue District spanned a sign across 12th as if you were leaving the city. 

EXACTLY my point.

Offline Eparabola

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »
I actually don't mind that arch.  It's different, looks kind of neat, and, hell, maybe it acts as a disincentive for criminals/"undesirables" from walking around the area

Offline Eparabola

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2008, 12:01:45 PM »
and oh my god did the Powerhouse look like crap

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2008, 06:56:57 PM »
I hate that Stonebridge lettering . Is that just proposed? I did not see that as of yesterday. AWFUL. I agree the viaduct is part of the city. It is open to everyone which makes it awesome. As that stands it looks like a gawdy suburban subdivision entrance. wrong. wrong. wrong. I wish more city people would design urban  developments
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:58:12 PM by peabody99 »

Offline Ipsilon

• 408'-Kettering Tower
    • Cleveland Rising
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
...then there the rats. They didn't get much bigger than the ones that grew in the Flats back then! As big as dogs, I tell ya!

I couldn't pass up this joke.  I'm sorry. :)

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2008, 07:43:18 AM »
I hate that Stonebridge lettering . Is that just proposed? I did not see that as of yesterday. AWFUL. I agree the viaduct is part of the city. It is open to everyone which makes it awesome. As that stands it looks like a gawdy suburban subdivision entrance. wrong. wrong. wrong. I wish more city people would design urban  developments
Sorry... you're dealing with Doug "suburban fake urban" Price.  Guy gets things done, which is great... but sometimes I just think he doesn't get it.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline w28th

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2008, 08:07:24 AM »
The parking on the entire viaduct pisses me off more than that horrid sign.
"When you stand at the corner of Euclid Avenue and East Ninth Street in Cleveland, you stand at one of the busiest corners in the world -- and in the heart of a shopping district known far and wide for its many fine shops."

Offline shs96

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2008, 09:11:21 AM »
The parking on the entire viaduct pisses me off more than that horrid sign.

Last week they roped off the end of the bridge (past Ponte Vecchio) so there is no longer parking there, which I thought was good.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2008, 09:27:57 AM »
Hey, I agree!  It seems like the parking had been creeping down the viaduct over time, to where there was only a little sliver at the end left as a plaza.

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2008, 04:52:59 PM »
you're welcome. 8-) That had to stop.  A few neighbors from Towers and Plaza advocated for the chain to go back up.  Flats oxbow assisted as nothing was being done and Stonebridge finally did the right thing. The viaduct had become the third surface lot to surround the plaza. In the last week alone I have seen scores more people using it again. It was beautiful sight-bikes, bbq'in , pups and kids a playing.  It was becoming ridiculous. Cars were parked everywhere and speeding out there. Then they looked at you like you had a problem if you were sitting out there in their parking lot.  So come one and all and enjoy it again
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:56:03 PM by peabody99 »

Offline shs96

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2008, 08:55:04 PM »
you're welcome. 8-) That had to stop.  A few neighbors from Towers and Plaza advocated for the chain to go back up.  Flats oxbow assisted as nothing was being done and Stonebridge finally did the right thing. The viaduct had become the third surface lot to surround the plaza. In the last week alone I have seen scores more people using it again. It was beautiful sight-bikes, bbq'in , pups and kids a playing.  It was becoming ridiculous. Cars were parked everywhere and speeding out there. Then they looked at you like you had a problem if you were sitting out there in their parking lot.  So come one and all and enjoy it again

Ha!  When I would be walking my dogs and cars would come by they would look at me like "get the F out of the way".  It's a dead end bridge...where exactly are you going in such a hurry?

And I have noticed more people out there...a couple was sitting out there enjoying the evening just now.

Speaking of dogs, if you have any influence, I think they need to put some doggy bags outside there (I think they have a thing outside the Towers).  I always take bags with me, but apparently other dogs owners aren't as courteous...which is unfathomable to me how you could let your dog crap and just walk away, but maybe that's just me.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2008, 11:19:39 PM »
If you're looking for a place for your doggy to take a dump, see if one of these motorists-with-an-attitude parks their cars with the windows open.

An efficient solution is one that addresses two problems at the same time.  :wink2:

Offline twok2lcdcnc

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2008, 12:27:08 AM »
If you're looking for a place for your doggy to take a dump, see if one of these motorists-with-an-attitude parks their cars with the windows open.

An efficient solution is one that addresses two problems at the same time.  :wink2:

Like the brilliant individual the other day, that parked a brand new land rover RIGHT in front of the P2 parking garage entrance on Washington. It made me want to start a riot... prolly could've flipped the thing over myself tho. haha...

Offline shs96

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #209 on: July 11, 2008, 09:21:53 AM »

Like the brilliant individual the other day, that parked a brand new land rover RIGHT in front of the P2 parking garage entrance on Washington. It made me want to start a riot... prolly could've flipped the thing over myself tho. haha...

This happened one fall weekend when I first moved in...not sure how someone misses the big ole garage door they are parking in front of.  It was a Browns Sunday though so I imagine they weren't in the proper state of mind when parking.

But the security guards slapped one of those big, hard to remove notices on their window, waited two hours, then the car was towed.  I laughed at the thought of some guy, plastered out of his mind barely remembering where he parked in the first place, returning in an attempt to find his car with it nowhere to be found.

Strangely, they always were attracted to the vehicle's wheel as a spot to pee.  Even more strange, I seemed to not be paying much attention when they would start to pee on the car and by the time I noticed, it was too late   :?

Remove Ads