Author Topic: Cleveland: Stonebridge/Flats West Developments  (Read 77039 times)

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Stonebridge/Flats West development
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »
What like Kahiki in Sandusky?
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2007, 03:38:06 PM »
What like Kahiki in Sandusky?

I think its the kolahari hotel
my 2 ¢     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2007, 10:50:52 PM »
^frankly I dont know since its not my thing. He said something about waterslides and rides and watersports...and indoor waterstuff as well.  Kid love that crap. we took my step daughter "great bear" (?) louge in Sandusky one winter and she loved it.

Offline superceleb

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2007, 01:50:28 PM »
I noticed that they updated the Stonebridge website. There isn't any new information, but kinda interesting to check out and nice to see that the site has been updated:
http://www.stonebridge-condominiums.com/plaza/index.htm

Here is what it says for phase 5:
UNDER CONSTRUCTION – JUNE 2007 OCCUPANCY
-Affordably priced, starting at $146,000.
-Choose from 1-bedroom, 2-bedrooms or penthouses ($300,000 - $1 million).

Phases
Stonebridge has been carefully planned in 12 distinct phases.

Phases 1-3
Stonebridge began in 1999 when ground was broken for the first Stonebridge apartment building—Stonebridge Waterfront. Office/retail space was added as part of Phase 3 with the completion of Stonebridge Center, which hosts a number of commercial tenants, including the award-winning Ponte Vecchio Restaurant.

Phases 4-6
Phase 4 added condominiums to the mix with the advent of The Towers at Stonebridge. Currently, The Plaza at Stonebridge (Phase 5) is under construction with its 108 luxury condominium units, and work is underway for 35,000 square feet of additional office/retail space to be known as Stonebridge Square (Phase 6).

About Stonebridge Square
Currently under construction, Stonebridge Square represents 35,000 square feet of newly renovated office and retail space. Adjacent to The Plaza at Stonebridge, the new Stonebridge Square promises to be home to a number of retail shops designed to cater to the day-to-day needs of Stonebridge residents, including a deli, gourmet grocery store and coffee shop.

A focal point of the project will be its expansive skylight and foliage-filled atrium that will provide shoppers with a peaceful, out-of-the-way place to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee along with a good book or the morning newspaper. A glass skywalk will also connect Stonebridge Square with direct access to the historic Superior Viaduct Bridge—another scenic location for walking or reading.

Phases 7-9
Reaching out along the banks of the Cuyahoga River, Riverfront at Stonebridge (Phase 7) is projected to break ground in 2008 for its 30 riverfront townhomes. Each of these custom-built units will be set in a triplex building featuring a two-car garage with direct access to the unit. Large balconies, rooftop terraces and spectacular views of downtown and the river await the future residents of Riverfront.

Shortly afterward, Phase 8 is scheduled to begin with the development of 68 loft townhouses. Of course all of these new downtown residents will require additional retail sources for dining, shopping and servicing, so Stonebridge Commons (Phase 9) will become a massive 285,000-squre-foot office/retail complex.

Phases 10-12
The final three phases of development, scheduled for completion by 20??, will connect Stonebridge with Lake Erie via the construction of 1,200+ new housing units and another 650,000 square feet of office/retail space. All of the supporting service amenities, as well as the necessary infrastructure will be in place so that, upon completion, Stonebridge residents can live, work and play in the same thriving area that's just walking distance from downtown.

I'm not sure what phase this is, but it has a very interesting look to it:

please visit:

http://www.stonebridge-condominiums.com/index.htm
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:16:50 PM by Mildtraumatic »

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2007, 02:07:46 PM »
superceleb (damnit I love that name!)  I noticed that too, some of the rendering look very interesting!

I also wonder if the units they are showing are whats available?  I have floor plans of larger multi level units.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »
Comparing it to other images on the site, I'd say that's a model for phases 10-12. Fortunately, it looks as though those have made accomodations for first-floor retail/offices.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »
if you look on the first floor of the first building, it looks like the tree is inside.

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2007, 02:24:21 PM »
There is an updated site plan.  Notice the proposed change to Center St. as it gets close to the Old River channel.  I agree that the picture from above is probable phases 10-12, judging from the shapes on the site plan.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2007, 03:56:31 PM »
Is there a total price tag # for the entire project? Obviously its too preliminary for an accurate number, but is there one anyways?

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2007, 04:10:08 PM »
^The website quoted $500 million.

Offline zaceman

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • zaklong.tumblr.com
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2007, 04:18:58 PM »
these other images seem interesting too.  one of them is even a picture of the lakefront...??  whats that about?

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Those luxury condominium towers look an awful lot a failed proposal for the County Administrative Building.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2007, 04:47:12 PM »
Does anyone know if the final overall project has any plans to better the connection to the rest of downtown? 

That lakefront rendering is very interesting.
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline ytown2ctown

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2007, 05:39:13 PM »
So have they set any time tables???

Do they need to acquire a lot of land or just a little???

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2007, 06:04:34 PM »
Does anyone know if the final overall project has any plans to better the connection to the rest of downtown?

yes.

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2007, 06:39:58 PM »

See the older site plan posted here and then look at the area around Main Avenue Bridge.  You'll see a proposed pedestrian connection to the East Bank.
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=9195.msg127727#msg127727

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2007, 10:05:19 PM »
these other images seem interesting too.  one of them is even a picture of the lakefront...??  whats that about?

Bob Corna, partner and architect of the Stonebridge development, is a big proponent of redeveloping the downtown lakefront with publicly accessible parks. He doesn't agree with Stark's vision for the lakefront.

(Just answering a question -- not attempting to take this thread in a direction that doesn't have anything to do with the thread's subject)
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Online clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2007, 10:53:25 PM »
I have no doubt most, if not all of this will get done; and not that far in the distant future.  Corna-Price have near-perfectly engineered a carrot-stick approach with sexy current development fanning desire (and projected home-sales) for just around-the-corner development...

I can't quite tell from the schematic, but are they planning on keeping the old Spaghetti Warehouse loft apt building?  I sure hope so.  Melding old + new has made Stonebridge amazingly interesting, intriguing.

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2007, 02:50:45 PM »
OK.  So when do we start phase 6?  New thread....yeah!! :lol:

Yeah, so now that Stonebridge Phase 5 is essentially complete, does anyone have news on the next phases of Stonebridge? I think that this last spring we heard that when Phase 5 was complete, they would announce plans for Phase 6 and 7 together (the office conversion of the Tenk Building and the townhouses that fill in the "hole" next to the viaduct and Washington St. I think).  But there hasn't been much news since.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 02:51:10 PM by FrqntFlyr »

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2007, 05:31:36 PM »
boy from all this PR released press it makes you believe Cleveland is the only place booming when the rest of the country has come to a near halt with new residential contruction. Lets see SB 5 get even close to selling out first.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2007, 05:44:45 PM »
I'm not saying everything is all sunshine everywhere but "near halt"? Don't get me wrong - the market has definitely slowed, but it really depends on who you talk to...

Just an example - Chicago has seven residential towers over 700 feet tall (taller than the Terminal Tower) under construction (as in, cranes are in the air, floors are going up). I highly recommend the following section at the skyscraperpage.com forum - a rundown of most North American (and a few European) cities construction.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Is there a crash in the future? Who knows, but as nice as the development in Cleveland is (especially during a real estate turndown), it's a blip on the radar compared to its peers.

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2007, 05:48:42 PM »
I dont think Cle will crash..just stop for a while.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2007, 07:23:30 AM »
boy from all this PR released press it makes you believe Cleveland is the only place booming when the rest of the country has come to a near halt with new residential contruction. Lets see SB 5 get even close to selling out first.

So what are the sales/occupancy number?

I'm not saying everything is all sunshine everywhere but "near halt"? Don't get me wrong - the market has definitely slowed, but it really depends on who you talk to...

Just an example - Chicago has seven residential towers over 700 feet tall (taller than the Terminal Tower) under construction (as in, cranes are in the air, floors are going up). I highly recommend the following section at the skyscraperpage.com forum - a rundown of most North American (and a few European) cities construction.

Is there a crash in the future? Who knows, but as nice as the development in Cleveland is (especially during a real estate turndown), it's a blip on the radar compared to its peers.

I don't think Cleveland will crash, we have been smart and not overbuilt like many cities.  We don't have a glut of NEW homes/condos/townhomes sitting on the market. 

Currently in the city itself we do not have the type of housing first time and young people want.  I think that, that factor plays in our favor.  In the next three years when several project are completed I think the interest in city living will continue to rise and be more popular than ever.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »
But we do have a TON of vacant homes in the city.
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline AJ93

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2007, 11:25:18 AM »

I'm hearing rumblings that all is not perfect in Camelot. Possibly K&D has stretched themselves too thin...trades being delayed extensively with payments, etc. Maybe it's just a blip, but he hasn't always operated this way, so it's getting some people's attention.
Cleveland: Tell your dame it's the bee's knees! - 327

Offline Confiteordeo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • It's Britney, b*tch!
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2007, 12:12:01 PM »
But we do have a TON of vacant homes in the city.

That's a different market.  The people looking to buy condos are generally upper middle to upper class, retirees or young professionals. 
Progress and prosperity.

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2008, 02:04:51 PM »
Machine leaving longtime Flats home
Workers join new Strongsville employer; developer mulls Stonebridge expansion

By STAN BULLARD
4:30 am, May 12, 2008

Tenk Machine & Tool Co. is disappearing from Cleveland's Flats in a deal that has reopened the closed Demag Plastics Group plant in Strongsville and might allow the Stonebridge mixed-use complex to expand.

A skeleton crew last week arranged drill bits, lathes and cranes for an equipment auction at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow, May 13, at Tenk's 2111 Center St. location. However, most of the 35 workers who were Tenk employees already are working at the former Demag plant that newly formed parts and equipment maker JSM Cleveland will use to serve Tenk customers and others, said Mike White, JSM Cleveland's sales and engineering manager....

http://crainscleveland.com/article/20080512/FREE/641695489
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:25:58 PM by Mildtraumatic »

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »
The Tenk building is awesome.

Offline Pete

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2008, 07:06:04 PM »
The Left Bank building is owned by Mr. Newman, who is the executive director of the Flats Oxbow Association, a CDC for the Flats area.  The building is the most poorly maintained residential building in the area except for CMHA, but the views from the units must be awesome.  Mr. Newman has been delinquent paying his taxes for the last few years: http://auditor.cuyahogacounty.us/repi/taxbill.asp?txtParcel=00319007

He's smart: collect rent, don't pay taxes, don't maintain your building, and as the neighborhood sprouts new condos and apartments (and someday a towpath trail), sell the place!  Just what we all want from CDC directors. 

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
The Tenk building IS awesome. I am confused though since I thought K&D acquired the Tenk Building last year...or that is what they publically said. This deal is not complete? At the time my understanding the plan was for KD was going to raze it to put up more glass or  faux brick stuff (what is there is fine, but enough already-lets keep some diversity, something that makes me love the flats). I feel my recollection is correct b/c I was immensely disappointed it would be knocked down. It may not matter b/c  a a while back word was new  development on the west bank was on hold indefinitely.

The Left Bank building is amazing but needs work. I love the top floor space. It looks right out on the iron ghost and has a spectacular city view. The Superior Viaduct would be your patio.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:23:00 PM by peabody99 »

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2008, 07:10:57 PM »
The plans I've seen indicated that they were going to reuse the Tenk Building.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »
^I agree. All the plans that I saw showed that Tenk was going to be reused. They were going to expand a bit with some glass and steel. K & D, like any smart developer, sought control of the land via purchase options. If the market goes sour, then they don't have to exercise those options.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
Would love to see that building rehabbed. Without buildings like that,  the Flats just wouldn't be the same.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 03:54:19 PM by surfohio »

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »
^Indeed!  And yet they continue to get knocked down every year even still.  I worry about the Flats.  A lot.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »
The plans I've seen indicated that they were going to reuse the Tenk Building.
I think a saw the super duper crazy plans that had a water park and star ship. Kidding a little, but in all seriousness, I was told face to face by someone quite involved with this project that TENK was a goner. I do not remember who, but someone such as price or corna.  I only remember b/c I was really upset and could not understand why it could not be rehabbed for a new use.  While it is not like it is a spectaculat building, it is an example of a classic flat warehouse and should be preserved.   

Remove Ads