Author Topic: Cleveland: FirstEnergy Stadium renovations, changes  (Read 109086 times)

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cleveland: FirstEnergy Stadium renovations, changes
« Reply #560 on: August 19, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »
How ironic that it's shaped like the state of Tennessee! #JimmyHaslamState

Also ironic: the seating is the same color as Jimmy Haslam's face.

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #561 on: August 19, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »
^ha, thats good
"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #562 on: August 19, 2014, 12:35:39 PM »

Also ironic: the seating is the same color as Jimmy Haslam's face.

Looked more red than orange last night:

"I play to people’s fantasies."
--Donald Trump

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #563 on: August 19, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »
Although not a part of the renovations the city announced yesterday it will be closing the pedestrian bridge that leads from the mall to the stadium indefinitely. Whatever that means.  They want to funnel everyone up W3rd. Does this mean they are very confident they will find the funds to complete the proposed 'new' bridge? If it's not going to be used I hope it is demolished soon.  It's definitely nothing to look at.

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2014/08/new_cleveland_browns_tailgatin.html
live small  dream big

Offline dave68

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #564 on: August 19, 2014, 09:18:27 PM »
How ironic that it's shaped like the state of Tennessee! #JimmyHaslamState

I prefer to think the shape is the bow of a boat

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #565 on: August 20, 2014, 09:03:46 AM »
Although not a part of the renovations the city announced yesterday it will be closing the pedestrian bridge that leads from the mall to the stadium indefinitely. Whatever that means.  They want to funnel everyone up W3rd. Does this mean they are very confident they will find the funds to complete the proposed 'new' bridge? If it's not going to be used I hope it is demolished soon.  It's definitely nothing to look at.

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index.ssf/2014/08/new_cleveland_browns_tailgatin.html

Do you mean replacing the existing pedestrian bridge or the new, $25 million, fully funded pedestrian bridge linking the malls and convention center with North Coast Harbor?
--Donald Trump

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #566 on: August 20, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »
^You're saying it's fully funded. I though they were still short from not getting the TIGER?

OK, 10 from the city,10 from the county, 5 from the state. I was thinking they needed 30...guess not.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:51:34 AM by freethink »
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #567 on: August 20, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »
Cost of the walkway itself is $25 million. All funding is in hand. But I don't think this walkway is terribly convenient for Browns fans. It's farther east than the existing walkway and, midway down the new walkway, it will make a right-angle jog even farther east, farther from the stadium. Better to hike down to West 3rd if you're stadium-bound.
--Donald Trump

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #568 on: August 21, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »
Couple of videos from WKYC about FirstEnergy renovation. Including the lifting of a Ford truck into the stadium. Browns indicate all major construction will be complete by the wkd. Judging from the webcams looks like a lot of finish work still needs to be done. I suspect that will go into the next couple of weeks.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2014/08/20/browns-ford-lift/14371503/

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/cuyahoga-county/2014/08/19/changes-for-browns-game-on-saturday/14320057/
live small  dream big

Offline TPH2

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Cleveland Boomerang via Washington, DC
    • Twitter
« Reply #569 on: August 24, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »
Here a few pictures I took from the game last night. I wish I took more, and I wish they were better quality. I'm a big fan of the new deck above the Dawg Pound. Overall, the stadium has a much cooler feel to it.

The quality of life in cities has much to do with systems of transport...Many cars, used by one or more people, circulate in cities, causing traffic congestion, raising the level of pollution, and consuming enormous quantities of non-renewable energy. -Pope Francis

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #570 on: September 22, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »
I was at yesterday's game, my first at the newly renovated FES. I think they did a great job. The place looked and felt like a new stadium. The scoreboards were great. The sound system was great. And yes, the crowd seemed a lot louder. Here I am with my sister at the game yesterday:

Browns Town bar.

Browns stadium club lounge.

--Donald Trump

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #571 on: December 16, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2014/12192014/121814_DRAC_agenda.pdf

Downtown/Flats Design Review District
Agenda
December 18, 2014 9:30AM
City Hall Room 514, 601 Lakeside Avenue

DF2014-121 – First Energy Stadium Renovations Phase 2*
Project Address: 100 Alfred Lerner Way
Project Representative: Don Williams, Gensler
*This project is scheduled for City Planning Commission on December 19th, 2014.
--Donald Trump

Offline dave68

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #573 on: January 02, 2015, 10:06:55 PM »
Browns win City Planning Commission approval for Phase II improvements at FirstEnergy Stadium
By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer
on December 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM, updated December 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – After fumbling over an incomplete design presentation that frustrated some members of a city review committee Thursday, the Browns won approval from the Cleveland City Planning Commission on Friday for a $50 million upgrade to FirstEnergy Stadium.

The commission voted 6-0 to approve plans authored by the respected architecture firm of Gensler, which will primarily address the interior of the stadium.

The 68,000-seat facility, originally designed by HOK Sport Facilities Group in Kansas City, Missouri, now known as Populous, was completed in 1999 at a cost of $282.5 million, or roughly $400 million in 2014 dollars. Nearly 75 percent of the original construction was publicly funded.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2014/12/browns_win_approval_for_phase.html
--Donald Trump

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #574 on: June 04, 2015, 09:42:51 AM »
Some phase ll stuff on CPC.
live small  dream big

Offline JG

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #575 on: June 04, 2015, 11:55:30 AM »
I still can't get over the new dog/dawg logo

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #576 on: June 04, 2015, 01:19:13 PM »
For some reason I dig the brown with the orange pants as well as the orange jersey.

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #577 on: June 04, 2015, 01:22:49 PM »
Random thought, but imagine how popular the waterfront line would be if the Browns stadium was domed, true fumble right there no pun intended. Also are the adding an awning of some sort? Is that what I'm seeing?

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #578 on: June 04, 2015, 07:37:57 PM »
Random thought, but imagine how popular the waterfront line would be if the Browns stadium was domed, true fumble right there no pun intended. Also are the adding an awning of some sort? Is that what I'm seeing?

I'm not following.   So the 143 people who ride it every day can see a domed stadium?
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #579 on: June 04, 2015, 08:02:30 PM »
^Probably means the stadium could be used much more often, thus the rail station and line serving the area would be used a lot more.
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #580 on: June 04, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
I still can't get over the new dog/dawg logo

It's childlike. Like "Snarly" should be the name.

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #581 on: June 05, 2015, 07:47:03 AM »
^Probably means the stadium could be used much more often, thus the rail station and line serving the area would be used a lot more.
That is exactly what i mean, so many people would pack the train to attend those events if there were more events that could be held there. This is especially true because of the trains close proximity to the stadium. I compare it to people catching the train to Tower city for the Q due to the convenience of the stadium being connected. This is a pipe dream though, and has been discussed in length so it's not important.

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #582 on: June 05, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
That is exactly what i mean, so many people would pack the train to attend those events if there were more events that could be held there. This is especially true because of the trains close proximity to the stadium. I compare it to people catching the train to Tower city for the Q due to the convenience of the stadium being connected. This is a pipe dream though, and has been discussed in length so it's not important.

This has been thoroughly discussed upthread, about the viability of a enclosed stadium as an additional venue.   As evidence, I always look to Lucas Oil Field in Indy, a similar sized market, geography etc.   Their stadium is connected directly to the convention center, so gets quite a bit of "spillover business," where they simply open the building to an event, but the stadium is not really being utilized.   For example, see the Deanna Adkins/Eric Wollenhaupt Wedding Reception coming up on their calendar:  http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/upcoming-events.aspx.   

I suppose we could have weddings and barmitzvah's in our stadium, but in actuality First Energy Stadium already hosts such events, in the dining spaces on the club level.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:10:11 AM by Cleburger »

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #583 on: June 05, 2015, 12:18:37 PM »
Wollenhaupt is a bear of a name to take on. 
"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #584 on: June 05, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »

Right?  But homeboy must have loot.   Probably not cheap to rent out a stadium for your wedding reception. 

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #585 on: June 06, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »

Right?  But homeboy must have loot.   Probably not cheap to rent out a stadium for your wedding reception. 

More likely her folks do....
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #586 on: July 26, 2015, 09:13:23 PM »
Video and story here too:
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/07/video_cleveland_browns_show_of.html

Cleveland Browns unveil progress of FirstEnergy Stadium Phase II renovations
Posted Jul 23, 2015
 Kevin Jones
Staff Writer
@Mr_KevinJones Facebook
Revamped venue ready for Dawg Pound on Aug. 13

Cleveland Browns team president Alec Scheiner on Thursday gave ClevelandBrowns.com a comprehensive tour of the club’s ongoing renovations at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Announced in Nov. 2013, Phase II of the two-year modernization primarily focuses on the interior and exterior design of the stadium and concourses, and it’s nearing completion.

In extensive surveys and meetings with fans, Scheiner and team owner Jimmy Haslam concluded FirstEnergy Stadium should reflect the city of Cleveland.

MORE:
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Cleveland-Browns-unveil-progress-of-FirstEnergy-Stadium-Phase-II-renovations-/5e7fa847-9a26-46d8-a9ea-347a41b84a81
--Donald Trump

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #587 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:28 AM »
Ever wonder why more non-Browns events aren't held at FirstEnergy Stadium?
https://t.co/dZy9LWFmFl
--Donald Trump

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #588 on: March 21, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
concerts no longer are the draw they used to be. Plus, it is not that Cleveland is competing with Columbus and Cincinnati and Pittsburgh for concerts, but they are also competing with Cleveland for the large acts too.  Artists like U2 have a choice on where they want to play in Cleveland. Is it more profitable to play 3 shows in Quicken Loan arena, or they could also play a show at Progressive too when the Indians are out of town. I know Paul McCartney played a show a few years back at Great American in August when the Reds were out of town.  So First Energy is not the only game in town either anymore.

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #589 on: March 21, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »
City-run venues are historically bad at attracting shows because they don't have the freedom to wheel-and-deal with promoters on rent, concessions sharing, rebates, and the like.

If you factor the CITY OF CLEVELAND into this, well, just imagine that nothing happens quickly and outside the lines of the jobs of those in charge.   Leaders like Frank Jackson will not help the cause either, unless you want to put a show on at a dirt track.   :-P

Offline ChiCleveKid

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #590 on: March 21, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »
At least CLE sold out the U2 show in only a few days...and while it's been 2 months since being announced (like Cleveland) the Pittsburgh show still has availability.

Remove Ads