Author Topic: Kent / Kent State University: Development and News  (Read 61316 times)

Offline dski44

• 0'-Surface Lot
Re: Kent: Kent State University Developments
« Reply #210 on: September 30, 2015, 09:46:29 PM »
Here are somewhat recent pictures of the new Architecture building and the Institutional Advancement Center under construction. I will try to post more recent pictures soon.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:03:01 PM by dski44 »

Offline dski44

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2015, 10:06:19 PM »
Sorry everybody, I can't get the other picture to download. I will try again later.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:10:52 PM by dski44 »

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
Kent: Kent State University Developments
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
Rear view of the new art building still under construction.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:24:30 AM by McLovin »

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #213 on: February 26, 2016, 12:44:51 PM »
The progress for the Kent state AED building as seen from the side.

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: February 26, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »
That's the best looking Carnival Cruise Lines ship I've ever seen!

Offline JohnSummit

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2016, 05:41:58 AM »
I really wanted to like this.  The renderings looked really good.  I drive or walk by it several times a week, and as it has been rising, I've felt like it has just taken on such a dominating presence.  I was thinking Imperial Star Destroyer.  I guess I'll withhold final judgment until it's finished, but as of right now, I just feel it just looks like this massive thing plopped down with no relation to anything going on around it.

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »
I really wanted to like this.  The renderings looked really good.  I drive or walk by it several times a week, and as it has been rising, I've felt like it has just taken on such a dominating presence.  I was thinking Imperial Star Destroyer.  I guess I'll withhold final judgment until it's finished, but as of right now, I just feel it just looks like this massive thing plopped down with no relation to anything going on around it.

Kent State will do that to you, depress you. You're JohnSummit not JohnPortage. That building IS that stupid cruise ship that ran aground in Italy. Transfer to Akron!!!

GO ZIPS!!!!!

:-) Just kidding, I am still hurting for that beat down the Flashes put on Akron last week in hoops

Offline ExPatClevGuy

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
Reminds me of our old friend from just down the road.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:20:07 PM by ExPatClevGuy »

Offline JRC

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2016, 08:02:12 PM »

I don't have a strong opinion about the building either way.  As an alum, I wanted to be on the team that worked on it.  But, another team was chosen, so I sort of washed my hands of it.  But, IMO, the building should take a dominating presence, and doesn't necessarily need to relate to its surroundings.  The College of Architecture and Environmental Design is one of Kent's best programs.  Its current architecture building--Taylor Hall, a Brutalist concrete building in the middle of a bunch of mid-century brick buildings--sits on top of a hill not unlike the Parthenon at the Athenian Acropolis.  So, it's not like the new building is doing anything the old building didn't.

Finally, does the building really look like a cruise ship in person, or is it because the camera lens is putting a huge curve in it, making it look like the prow of a ship?

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: February 29, 2016, 11:17:32 AM »
It's the camera lens. The building is not curved.

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #220 on: March 04, 2016, 04:28:37 PM »
Froze my butt off to get more detailed pictures of the CAED buulding lol. The building was so long that I couldn't get the full building in but it's still 99% of it. The last picture is to show how long the building is. The back of it is where I am standing and the front is right in front of Lincoln st. with a small grass buffer. I began in the front and ended in the back the pictures are in order.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 04:29:40 PM by McLovin »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »
Thanks. Good to again see the street (Lincoln) I lived on for four years. So many memories flood back when I see it.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.
--Hannah Arendt

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #222 on: October 01, 2016, 07:59:17 AM »
In the "among other board business news," this article notes....

KSU’s president is compensated with hefty bonus in her annual review
By Marilyn Miller
Beacon Journal staff writer
Published: September 30, 2016 - 09:03 PM

As part of the comprehensive plan, endorsed the fundraising campaign for a new building for the College of Business Administration. The proposed project targets the construction of a three-story building of approximately 145,000 square feet to be located at the corner of Campus Drive and Summit Street.

MORE:
http://www.ohio.com/news/local/ksu-s-president-is-compensated-with-hefty-bonus-in-her-annual-review-1.715933
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.
--Hannah Arendt

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #223 on: December 09, 2016, 01:11:24 PM »
Kent State buys Starbucks building
Land surrounded by university property considered key for expansion
By ANDREW BUGEL Staff Writer
Published: Friday December 9, 2016 2:43 PM

In an effort to continue expanding Kent State University's main campus, the university has purchased the building anchored by Starbucks on the corner of South Lincoln Street and East Main Street. The decision was approved during the KSU Board of Trustees meeting Dec. 7.

MORE:
http://www.recordpub.com/news local/2016/12/09/kent-state-buys-starbucks-building
--Hannah Arendt

Remove Ads