Author Topic: Cleveland: Wind Turbine Construction News  (Read 116827 times)

Offline Enginerd

• 468'-Scripps Center
Re: Cleveland: Wind Turbine Construction News
« Reply #490 on: March 01, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »
I'm genuinely curious about this, why the fascination with offshore specifically?  Not just in Ohio but globally?  Is it because the wind is more reliable offshore?  Or just land use and permitting headaches onshore?  We're not exactly land-poor onshore even in Ohio, and in places like Texas and much of the Great Plains and Southwest, they've got tons of land with tons of reasonably reliable wind.

I thinks it's because so much potential lies off shore. You can see on the map that the greatest wind resource is by far the coastal areas.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #491 on: March 01, 2017, 05:20:16 PM »
Also, the Ohio legislature enacted fairly strict setback requirements a couple years ago that make land-based turbines relatively difficult to site. No doubt somewhat hyperbolic, but Amazon described them as "an effective moratorium of sorts on new wind development."
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2016/05/19/amazon-wind.html

[typo]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:20:34 PM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #492 on: March 02, 2017, 08:45:46 PM »
I'm genuinely curious about this, why the fascination with offshore specifically?  Not just in Ohio but globally?  Is it because the wind is more reliable offshore?  Or just land use and permitting headaches onshore?  We're not exactly land-poor onshore even in Ohio, and in places like Texas and much of the Great Plains and Southwest, they've got tons of land with tons of reasonably reliable wind.

Wind turbines can be a little rough on birds, to say the least.  There aren't as many out away from the shoreline, and the mess isn't an additional issue.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #493 on: March 03, 2017, 09:16:25 AM »
^Yeah, wind turbines do pose a risk to birds and will kill some, potentially millions per year.  But the risk isn't unique to turbines and is mostly caused by the tower itself and not so much the spinning blades.  So the risk is really on par with any communication tower or large building. 

Modern large turbines spin at relatively slow speeds so the risk of bird death due to impact with a blade is limited to the last 1/3 or so of the blade (near the tip) which passes through any given point in space less frequently than the smaller blades of the past.  The belief that wind turbines are bird blenders started because the old, small turbines at Altamont Pass do kill thousands of birds per year, but the new turbines are much better and kill far fewer birds.  While mitigation efforts are warranted, especially for certain migratory bird paths, it is certainly no reason to curtail wind energy development in my opinion. 

Offline lockdog

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #494 on: March 03, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #495 on: March 03, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
non-flashing tower lights may increase risk to birds..

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/24/510811662/how-to-make-broadcast-towers-more-bird-friendly-turn-off-some-lights

Terminal Tower turns off the colors between midnignt or so and 4am for this reason.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #496 on: March 09, 2017, 09:02:43 AM »
interesting -- from the city website i saw bg's wind farm debt was all paid off early:

WIND TURBINES

Bowling Green is home to Ohio’s first utility-sized wind farm. There are four turbines that are 257 feet tall. These turbines are as tall as a 30-story building and generate up to 7.2 megawatts of power — enough to supply electricity for approximately 2,500 residential customers. Located about six miles from the city, the turbines can be seen for miles and have become a local attraction.

Debt on the wind turbine project was paid in full in 2015.   This is a tremendous accomplishment as the debt was paid off several years early and the project is now one of the City’s lowest energy resources.

"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #497 on: March 09, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
... the project is now one of the City’s lowest energy resources.

Word missing?  :?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:29:30 PM by Gramarye »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #498 on: April 12, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
You know what's infinitely worse for birds than wind turbines in the Great Lakes? Fossil fuels and climate change. https://t.co/22zF7qcEYH

Just a reminder that coal kills at least 24x more birds than wind turbines https://t.co/nQFpLuwgz6
"I play to people’s fantasies."
--Donald Trump

Offline Dougal

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #499 on: April 13, 2017, 01:02:12 AM »
Spliethoff is bringing the heavy lift ship Happy River into Cleveland April 25th, the day after the arrival of their regular liner service ship. I wonder if Happy River will be carrying wind turbine components. The caissons look massive.

Remove Ads