Author Topic: Suburban Cleveland: Development and News  (Read 32900 times)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Re: Suburban Cleveland: Development and News
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2016, 08:10:15 AM »
Cleveland’s $132M Rockside Road Project Gets Green Light
by Bogdan Odagescu
The development has received zoning approval, with plans including luxury apartments, retail, a hotel and more.

Cleveland—The Seven Hills, Ohio, city council recently approved the PUD zoning required by LSB Seven Hills LLC for its 52-acre, mixed-use Rockside Road project. According to Cleveland.com, the estimated cost of the Rockside Crossings development is $132 million.

LSB bought the site in 2015 and is now looking to develop luxury apartments, retail, a 120-key hotel and an independent senior living facility close to the intersection of interstates 77 and 480. Neighbored on one side by a dense residential area and a large cluster of offices and hotels on another, Rockside Crossings will rise 10 miles south of Downtown Cleveland.

MORE:
https://www.multihousingnews.com/post/clevelands-132m-rockside-road-project-gets-green-light/

"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline AmrapinVA

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
Cleveland’s $132M Rockside Road Project Gets Green Light
by Bogdan Odagescu
The development has received zoning approval, with plans including luxury apartments, retail, a hotel and more.

Cleveland—The Seven Hills, Ohio, city council recently approved the PUD zoning required by LSB Seven Hills LLC for its 52-acre, mixed-use Rockside Road project. According to Cleveland.com, the estimated cost of the Rockside Crossings development is $132 million.

LSB bought the site in 2015 and is now looking to develop luxury apartments, retail, a 120-key hotel and an independent senior living facility close to the intersection of interstates 77 and 480. Neighbored on one side by a dense residential area and a large cluster of offices and hotels on another, Rockside Crossings will rise 10 miles south of Downtown Cleveland.

MORE:
https://www.multihousingnews.com/post/clevelands-132m-rockside-road-project-gets-green-light/

Where in Seven Hills is there a dense residential area? Or are they extending "one side" all the way past Broadview into Parma?

Please, please no more retail. Midtown Plaza struggles to keep tenants.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:23:56 AM by AmrapinVA »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2016, 09:26:57 PM »
Planning commission approves plans to raze former Sun News office in Berea, adjacent buildings
Beth Mlady, Special to cleveland.com
November 19, 2016

BEREA, Ohio -- A former Sun News office and adjacent buildings in a small shopping center in Berea will be demolished to make way for future redevelopment.

The structures are located at 24-28 Park Drive, just across the parking lot from Giant Eagle.

"It's four separate structures that have a unified façade on the front," explained Planning Commission Chairman Matt Madzy prior to the Nov. 17 commission meeting. "When you look at the building from the front, it looks like it's in pretty good shape, but when you look at the back, some of the brick is crumbling and it's not in tip-top condition. They haven't had good luck in trying to get the space filled and have been trying to market it for a while."

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/berea/index.ssf/2016/11/planning_commission_approves_p.html
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2017, 07:22:46 PM »
Downtown Willoughby could see changes in 2017 https://t.co/lzQsf9rmgS

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2017, 11:59:26 AM »

It's definitely doing well, busy whenever I pass through (which is almost always daytime).  Nice blend of old and newer, and the activity has some depth beyond the main street.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »

It's definitely doing well, busy whenever I pass through (which is almost always daytime).  Nice blend of old and newer, and the activity has some depth beyond the main street.

The city needs to step up their visions at the corner of Erie and Vine Sts.  The city's crucial intersection has a god-awful new build courthouse, a BP station and 2 suburban-style banks.   They can change the complexion there by promoting walk-ability.
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2017, 05:20:40 AM »

The city needs to step up their visions at the corner of Erie and Vine Sts.  The city's crucial intersection has a god-awful new build courthouse, a BP station and 2 suburban-style banks.   They can change the complexion there by promoting walk-ability.

I think they view the bend where Euclid becomes Erie as their focus.  Chagrin Riverwalk may pull some development towards itself and fill in some gaps.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2017, 08:14:37 AM »

I think they view the bend where Euclid becomes Erie as their focus.  Chagrin Riverwalk may pull some development towards itself and fill in some gaps.

Yes, that's the center, but I thought a few years ago they said they wanted to extend downtown to the north of Mentor/Vine toward the railroad tracks.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2017, 05:43:02 AM »

Yes, that's the center, but I thought a few years ago they said they wanted to extend downtown to the north of Mentor/Vine toward the railroad tracks.

Doubt it goes too far in that direction.   Riverwalk is supposed to add stores.   I suspect any development makes the turn onto Mentor.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline showsbro

• New User
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2017, 10:05:09 PM »
Read in the Chagrin Valley Times that the Landerwood Plaza (at Lander and Pinetree) where the Heinen's is located will be getting a facelift.

I also saw that the Fresh Thyme opened up at the Golden Gate Shopping Center in Mayfield Heights. In one of the empty storefronts are plans for a facelift for that shopping center as well. The plans looked great, assuming they get approved. Its about time, because that shopping center needs it.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
Broadview Heights developer scraps plan for 23-home subdivision at Royalton and Avery roads
By Bob Sandrick, special to cleveland.com
on February 13, 2017 at 11:30 AM, updated February 14, 2017 at 11:48 AM

BROADVIEW HEIGHTS, Ohio - Broadview Heights home builder Petros Development Corp. has scrapped plans for a 23-lot subdivision at the northwest corner of Royalton and Avery roads.

Instead, Petros will sell the land to Zinc Insurance, a Broadview Heights insurance agency, which will expand its blueprint for a new headquarters at Royalton and Avery.

"The site was cramped," Seth Zaremba, founder and principal of Zinc, told cleveland.com last week. "Now, we can make it a campus feel."

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/broadview-heights/index.ssf/2017/02/broadview_heights_developer_sc.html

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2017, 07:03:50 AM »

Some posts were removed and the discussion of Richmond Town Square Center Mall was moved to the Cleveland Retail thread.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »
Commercial development continues to boom in Avon (photos)
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/04/commercial_development_continu.html

Offline Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »
I laughed at the Taco Bell in the list of commercial buildings.

Online PoshSteve

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2017, 08:17:04 PM »
A few big box stores which will cannibalize other big box stores, a company poached from a neighboring city, and more soulless cul-de-sacs. Yes, a boom worth celebrating for sure, thank you PD.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2017, 08:28:41 PM »
A few big box stores which will cannibalize other big box stores, a company poached from a neighboring city, and more soulless cul-de-sacs. Yes, a boom worth celebrating for sure, thank you PD.

Was that your post?

I asked about "sponsor content" because it sure read like it.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online PoshSteve

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »

Was that your post?

HA! Nope, was not me, but I see my words are popular enough for people to steal from here. I usually can never bring myself to even look at the comments on there, let alone create an account.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2017, 09:17:48 AM »

Was that your post?

HA! Nope, was not me, but I see my words are popular enough for people to steal from here. I usually can never bring myself to even look at the comments on there, let alone create an account.

Called him on it.   :)
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Down_with_Ctown

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2017, 03:33:48 PM »
http://www.cleveland.com/hillcrest/index.ssf/2017/03/richmond_heights_28.html#incart_river_index

Interesting article about Richmond Heights' developing Master Plan, currently being put together with the help of the county Planning Commission.

Most interesting is the plan floated for the "Five Points" intersection of Chardon and Richmond where the city owns some property.  The county PC's Manager is talking up a plan for mixed use office/retail with residential units on top (!), which is a pretty bold goal for a suburb.  Right now, the area is not a retail destination but it would be interesting to see if new residential units would transform the intersection.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2017, 08:42:20 PM »
UPS buys 65-acre parcel in Middleburg Heights, says there are no firm plans for development - yet:
https://t.co/gCCjLESgTK

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2017, 11:12:18 AM »

DiGeronimo-Baldwin Wallace project could give downtown Berea a lift
May 21, 2017 UPDATED 2 DAYS AGO
By STAN BULLARD   

In a more than $15 million development project, a joint venture by Baldwin Wallace University and DiGeronimo Cos. of Independence plans to develop a four-story mixed-use building in downtown Berea.

The plan calls for replacing two single-story commercial buildings on the north side of the suburb's downtown at 111-118 Front St. with a structure with retail on the ground floor and a total of 81 units capable of housing 131 students above it.

Robert C. Helmer, president of Baldwin Wallace, said, "This novel collaboration will expand the attractive, contemporary housing options available to BW students and, at the same time, provide vibrant economic development for downtown."

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170521/NEWS/170529983/digeronimo-baldwin-wallace-project-could-give-downtown-berea-a-lift

Offline Mendo

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2017, 11:59:39 AM »
Glad to see BW getting into the downtown student housing game. Larger schools like Kent and Akron have been doing this for a decade.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2017, 12:40:19 AM »
Crazy warehouse development!!

Highland Heights business gets grant toward big project in Mentor
By: Betsy Scott (BScott@News-Herald.com)
POSTED: Friday, May 19, 2017 - 1:17 p.m.
UPDATED: 3 DAYS AGO

Another international industrial company plans a move - and a major investment - in Mentor.

Heilind Electronics, a global wholesale distributor of electronic connectors and circuits, intends to build a 181,000-square-foot warehouse and office in which to relocate its Highland Heights operation.

The project is planned for about 14 acres at 6240 Tin Man Road, southwest of the Tyler Boulevard/Heisley Road intersection.

MORE:
http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20170519/highland-heights-business-gets-grant-toward-big-project-in-mentor

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
Yet another big commercial building, but this one is a factory....

De Nora Tech is investing $31.2M in move to Mentor
Manufacturing company has been in Chardon for 48 years
May 21, 2017 UPDATED 10 HOURS AGO
By RACHEL ABBEY MCCAFFERTY   

De Nora Tech LLC last week officially kicked off a construction project that will move more than 150 employees from Chardon to Mentor in the coming years.

And that's a big change, because the plant that today is known as De Nora Tech has been in Chardon for about 48 years. But as the company has grown and changed, it's now in need of a larger, more technically advanced plant.

De Nora Tech makes anodes and cathodes for various industries, said project manager Jamie Schafer. Some recognizable products under that umbrella are in-ground pool chlorinators and equipment for chrome plating on vehicles. And that's been the case throughout the company's history. It got its start as Diamond Shamrock and became Eltech before being purchased by Italian-based De Nora in 2005.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170521/NEWS/170529989/de-nora-tech-is-investing-31-2m-in-move-to-mentor
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:59:03 AM by KJP »

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2017, 07:36:11 AM »
Brecksville appears to be very close to acquiring title to the 102 acre former VA site at Miller & Brecksville roads.  This is a huge asset, that is great news to redevelop but I don't see how the City can just turn the asset over to a developer with a memo of understanding.  How would there not be some RFP to transfer the property to create competition among developers for highest & best use/tax & job generation back to the community?

http://www.cleveland.com/brecksville/index.ssf/2017/06/brecksville_close_to_acquiring.html#incart_river_home

Developer is unnamed in the article per Mayor Hruby but I believe it's the DiGeronimo family of Independence Excavating and Pinecrest development

Offline audidave

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2017, 07:52:38 AM »
^I can see them trying to approximate a First and Main type of development there.

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2017, 08:24:09 AM »
This is a nice sizable piece of land for development.  I might guess that it is likely one of the largest remaining in the county. 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2017, 08:28:58 AM »
Legally, there has to be a pre-advertised RFP or auction for the sale of any publicly owned property.

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
^I can see them trying to approximate a First and Main type of development there.

I think the goal is much more office, lab, research, HQ type site.  They don't want to draw retail from downtown.  Imagine a tenant like Sherwin Williams R&D from downtown or similar tenants with a mix of Class A office.  It's a perfect setting for a corporate HQ and possibly some mixed tenant buildings as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:55:40 AM by gottaplan »

Offline bjk

• 468'-Scripps Center
    • BJK Research LLC
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »
I always thought this is where the IKEA should go.

Offline mack34

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
Why would you want to take SW R&D from Downtown?   Its a nice chunk of land.....I just wish it could be used to recruit a company from outside the area to come in. 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2017, 08:13:34 PM »
Seven Hills developer asks to amend PUD for luxury apartments
Updated on June 27, 2017 at 10:04 AM Posted on June 27, 2017 at 10:00 AM
BY MARK HOLAN/SPECIAL TO CLEVELAND.COM

SEVEN HILLS, Ohio - The plans for the Rockside Crossings at Seven Hills have changed.

At the June 26 meeting, council voted 6-1 to refer the ordinance, which would amend the Planned United Development District (PUD), to the planning commission. Council Pro Tem and Ward 2 Councilman Timothy Fraundorf was the lone dissenting vote.

Alan Ritchie, the attorney for LSB Seven Hills LLC, came before council caucus to ask for the change to move the apartments that were to be built above the retail/commercial/office building on Rockside and move them back on the property "standing on their own."

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/seven-hills/index.ssf/2017/06/seven_hills_developer_asks_to.html

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2017, 12:02:29 AM »
Not so fast....

Seven Hills developer withdraws proposal for apartments
Posted on July 10, 2017 at 8:29 AM
Seven Hills city officials are still working with the developer to finalize plans for Rockside Crossings.
http://www.cleveland.com/seven-hills/index.ssf/2017/07/seven_hills_developer_withdraw.html

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2017, 08:51:20 PM »
North Olmsted City Schools administration tours $90 million campus construction
Updated on July 13, 2017 at 6:54 AM Posted on July 13, 2017 at 6:49 AM
By John Benson, special to cleveland.com

NORTH OLMSTED, Ohio - Construction of North Olmsted City Schools' new grade 6 through 12 educational, performing arts center and athletic complex isn't supposed to be completed until next year, but Superintendent Michael E. Zalar recently led a group of administrators on a tour.

"Obviously, there's a lot of curiosity about the building project," Zalar said. "People see what's happening on the outside as they drive by the school. And our administrators have not had the opportunity to be inside, and so we made arrangements during the workers' lunch break to have a tour.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/north-olmsted/index.ssf/2017/07/north_olmsted_city_schools_adm.html

Remove Ads