Author Topic: Cleveland: Historic Photos  (Read 393742 times)

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cleveland: Historic Photos
« Reply #1260 on: June 14, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
^Wish I had a time machine to go back to that very spot just for a day-- the inconveniences and backwards social attitudes would drive me too crazy to spend any more than 1 day's time there, though.

Virtual reality is going to allow us to do this.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1261 on: June 15, 2017, 07:47:09 AM »
^Wish I had a time machine to go back to that very spot just for a day-- the inconveniences and backwards social attitudes would drive me too crazy to spend any more than 1 day's time there, though.

Virtual reality is going to allow us to do this.

If so, it will be some idealized and incomplete version.  They will probably leave out the smell, for example.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1262 on: June 15, 2017, 09:16:01 PM »

If so, it will be some idealized and incomplete version.  They will probably leave out the smell, for example.

We could always add Scratch-n-Sniff History. :P Too bad folks under 40 probably don't remember scratch-n-sniff stickers. Or, worse, Larry Flynt's scratch-n-sniff Hustler centerfold.
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1263 on: June 17, 2017, 09:10:15 PM »
Cleveland 1920 (year of their first World Series championship) - Indians vs. Yankees at League Park, featuring Tris Speaker and BabeRuth.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/SharkyFin5/status/875820679219867648
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1264 on: June 18, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
Happy Fathers Day - Time for a nice afternoon East Blvd Sunday drive in the family Winton automobile ca. 1910s. #PhotoByWRHS #Cleveland https://t.co/At30H9121J

Offline YABO713

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #1265 on: June 18, 2017, 05:16:33 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how people got dressed up for the privilege of partaking in activities we now take for granted, like going to a ball game or driving in a car...... or voting
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1266 on: June 18, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »
People were simply better dressed 50-100 years ago.

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1267 on: June 18, 2017, 07:29:18 PM »
Clothing was more expensive back then too.   I don't think people had a lot of clothes.   They wouldn't have casual wear that we have now.

Offline roman totale XVII

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #1268 on: June 18, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »
^^^ Yep. Back then, a man would have a couple of suits (black, gray and/ or blue) and tweed suit for the winter. Throw in a handful of white shirts and collars, a couple of pairs of shoes, winter and summer hats and an overcoat and that was about it. Needless to say, the quality of materials and workmanship was, on average, way ahead of anything available in the mass market today.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:38:37 PM by roman totale XVII »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1269 on: June 19, 2017, 02:23:53 PM »
The Guardian Bank lobby at 629 Euclid in 1925 @MarbleRoomCLE #ThisWasCLE

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #1270 on: June 19, 2017, 02:33:45 PM »
I bet some serious 3-6-3 banking threw down in there!

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #1271 on: June 20, 2017, 06:56:22 AM »
I'm guessing that's before Walker and Weeks remodeled the space.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1272 on: June 20, 2017, 10:56:15 PM »
Rare aerial view showing Irish town bend in #Cuyahoga River from the 1920s #PhotobyWRHS #thiswascle #ohio #cwru #thisiscle #cleveland #theland https://t.co/UXojwtydVe

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:36:45 AM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1273 on: June 22, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »
Interesting connection between Public Housing and Erieview in this 1962 film:  "Cleveland: City on Schedule" http://flash.ulib.csuohio.edu/cmp/general/cmp-clevelandcityonschedule.html

Online freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #1274 on: June 29, 2017, 02:14:08 PM »
Just to the right of the  Erieview/Galleria site,  along St Clair where the One Cleveland Ctr garage now sits was a real beautiful building.  Would have made a great conversion if it was still standing.
live small  dream big

Offline bigbrian24

• New User
« Reply #1275 on: June 29, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
Why was erieview never built out the way it was shown in that video?

Offline viscomi

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #1276 on: June 29, 2017, 07:36:21 PM »
Just to the right of the  Erieview/Galleria site,  along St Clair where the One Cleveland Ctr garage now sits was a real beautiful building.  Would have made a great conversion if it was still standing.

Rotate the garage and put one cleveland center on top and  you could have left all three of those buildings to be converted, those nice narrow streets remain and room yet for some more in-fill. Crazy to think how very little of Cleveland survived these years in this area.

Offline viscomi

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #1277 on: June 30, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »
Here is a picture with the long warehouse building from the aerial shot provided above viewable at street level . Also before St Clair "kink" removed.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1278 on: July 03, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »
Ontario Street looking north at Prospect Avenue intersection in 1913.....

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1279 on: July 06, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »
East 55th was once an amazing street of late 19th century beauties. This was one of them. Before it was Union Trust, it was Woodland Savings Bank at Woodland & East 55th.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1280 on: July 07, 2017, 10:50:08 AM »
E.79 & Addison in the 1920's. At the time of this photo, no automobiles were allowed on E. 79th.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1281 on: July 11, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
Here's a short clip (42 seconds) on the 1959 demolition of Cleveland's second Union Depot. The first Union Depot was built in 1853 (at this same site), the second in 1864 and the third in 1930 (Cleveland Union Terminal and its afterthought Terminal Tower).

https://youtu.be/diuVio20aFs
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:59:26 PM by KJP »

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1283 on: July 17, 2017, 11:34:47 AM »
https://twitter.com/EncyCle_/status/886903797154545664

I saw that one this morning. A pretty timid strike considering some of the others including Pittsburgh railroad strike, Homestead steel strike and the East Chicago steel strike.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1284 on: July 18, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »
Cuyahoga River fire, 1948 ( just one of many river fires) https://t.co/DP81yK3Gnl

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1286 on: July 19, 2017, 09:24:36 AM »
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/114841859221344521/

What a great idea. I'm sure that would be a hit if they did that again.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1287 on: Yesterday at 03:32:37 PM »
North Side of #Euclid Ave.  Found @Cleveland_PL in Picturesque #Cleveland ca. 1895. @thiswascle @EncyCle_ @CleCityCouncil @TowerLightsCLE https://t.co/TipFINjJcq

Remove Ads