Author Topic: Kent / Kent State University: Development and News  (Read 64614 times)

Offline andrew0816

• Premium Member
Re: Kent: Kent State University Developments
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
I actually like it, I guess it just depends on your personal taste.

Maybe it looks better in person.
I doubt it looks better in person because my pictures are amazing, lol. ;)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
Wow.... Kiva is still there 25 years later. And I spent many Saturday nights at Music & Speech, which was when my airshift was at WKHR.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2010, 03:01:04 AM »
as a KSU student with a dorm right across the parkinglot of music and speech: it is ugly
"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
KSU Plaza & Library Renovation Updates

follow on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=123372084353809

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
its pretty freaky to see the plaza like that, but it is for the greater good

Offline andrew0816

• Premium Member
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2010, 12:46:48 AM »
I hate that the fountain is gone and that it is not going to be replaced. :(

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:13 AM »
Big money:

Kent State University plans $250 million in projects paid largely with new student fees
By TIMOTHY MAGAW
9:07 am, September 16, 2010

Kent State University is planning $250 million in facility upgrades and new construction projects that largely will be paid for through borrowing financed by an expansion in student fees.

The university's board of trustees moved forward with the plans at its Wednesday meeting at Kent State's Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative at Playhouse Square in downtown Cleveland.

The bulk of the construction projects will be financed with $210 million in borrowings that hinge on state approval. The rest would be from state funds, fundraising and other money.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20100916/FREE/100919898
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »
"The campus improvements would include a new, $40 million home for the university's architecture program, now housed in three buildings; a $40 million home for art, now in six buildings; and $20 million for a renovated science building, probably Williams Hall."''

http://www.ohio.com/news/103027884.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2010, 07:34:17 AM »
Well, so much for that excitement:

Fingerhut bucks KSU proposal for more fees

By Carol Biliczky
Beacon Journal staff writer

POSTED: 06:20 p.m. EDT, Sep 21, 2010

The chancellor for higher education in Ohio has axed a Kent State proposal to charge students up to $24 a credit hour for academic buildings — at least in its current form.

Eric Fingerhut said Tuesday he is willing to work with KSU officials to find a way to pay for $250 million in improvements to the Kent campus.

But the university will have to come up with some better ideas, he said.

''I've made it pretty clear that the proposal they've submitted is not acceptable,'' Fingerhut said. ''We've not been successful in reaching an agreement.''

http://www.ohio.com/news/103480904.html

Offline andrew0816

• Premium Member
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »

Image from kentwired.com

Risman Plaza area to double in size soon
Written by Jessica White Tuesday, 28 September 2010 18:44

images The Risman Plaza area will double in size next year, Tom Euclide, associate vice president for facility planning and operation said.

Construction for a new “student green” in front of Risman Plaza will begin in the spring of 2011, Euclide said, and is expected to be finished by fall of the same year.

The green will be directly in front of Risman Plaza and stretch to Summit Street. As hinted by its name, the green will be mostly grass, but will also have a performance stage, clock tower and several sidewalks connecting the space to Risman Plaza.

Read More...

Some older news...

New recreation fields coming soon
Written by Darian Thomas Tuesday, 21 September 2010 19:03

The plans for the new recreation fields are in and are expected to be ready for the Fall 2011 school year and intramural season.

“As of right now, not much construction on the fields is being done, mostly just demolition,” Kim Rufra, associate director at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, said. ”The architects are still talking about the setup of the fields.”

According to the plans, the proposal includes two lit recreational fields, two tennis courts, a basketball court and an irrigation and drainage system to keep the turf in good condition.

Read More...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:38:56 PM by andrew0816 »

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »
Where is the road for the bus stop?

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2010, 03:53:19 PM »
I especially like the ball on top of the clock tower, very profound.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »
Architect Malcolm Holzman brings life to KSU with additions to Roe Green Center

Published: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 9:00 AM     Updated: Sunday, November 07, 2010, 8:45 PM
Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

Kent State University is a huge asset to Northeast Ohio. Its faculty and graduates are among the most interesting, successful and influential people in the region.

But let's be honest: Despite the presence of an architecture school on campus, the university does not look like a place that holds architecture, urban design, landscape architecture or city planning in high regard.

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2010/11/post_2.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2011, 10:05:17 AM »
Roe Green Center gets some international pub:

Curtain up for Roe Green Center
Editorial
Performing arts centre at Kent State University given complete transformation

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=15610

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »
KSU seeks more space, degrees for architecture: College applying for new master's program, wants to be in 1 building
Ben Wolford
February 21, 2011

And the lack of new facilities hasn’t seemed to drive away talented students. They grew just more than 2 percent between this spring and last to 747 undergraduate students (there are 74 grad students).
“Our incoming freshmen have the highest high school GPA of any college in the university. We have the highest SAT/ACT scores of any college in the university. We make up 11 percent of the Honors College,” Steidl said.
He listed three more statistics then said, “I could go on.”

http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/4984985

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »
KSU to resubmit building proposal

New student fee would pay for $250 million upgrade

By Paula Schleis

Published on Thursday, Apr 21, 2011

KSU's plans call for updating 30 buildings. Some need to be made more wheelchair accessible, some need technology updates and others need to be more energy efficient, Lefton said.

Because of leaking window panes in aging buildings, the university is ''spending tens of thousands of dollars, as my dad would say, 'heating the streets,' '' Lefton said.

The Art Building would be rebuilt and a new hall would be constructed for the College of Architecture & Environmental Design

http://www.ohio.com/news/120341009.html

It seems like they are trying to slip this by now that there is a new State Chancellor in place.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
KSU to get $300,000 grant for May 4 Center

Kent State University will receive a $300,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities for its future May 4 Visitors Center.

The NEH award to KSU is one of the largest to a university and is one of only eight in the state of Ohio.

The KSU project receiving NEH funding is a permanent, museum-style exhibit to create a May 4 Visitors Center on campus.

On May 4, 1970, members of the Ohio National Guard fired at demonstrators, wounding 13 Kent State students, four of them fatally.

http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/5078940

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »
this isn't a big development, but ever since my summer classes, Bowman Hall has been undergoing some renovations.  really minor interior stuff and it is so so so bad. we got lime green chairs and counters along the hallway.  They really dropped the ball.  I would post pictures but ive been awake for longer than I'd like to admit and i gotta test in an hour.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:38:39 PM by Whipjacka »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
this isn't a big development, but ever since my summer classes, Bowman Hall has been undergoing some renovations.  really minor interior stuff and it is so so so bad. we got lime green chairs and counters along the hallway.  They really dropped the ball.  I would post pictures but ive been awake for longer than I'd like to admit and i gotta test in an hour.

Bowman and Satterfield Halls
Interior Renovations    KSU-11L105    $1,000,000    
Design Firm: Office of the University Architect

That could be why right there

Offline andrew0816

• Premium Member
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2011, 01:17:54 PM »
Bowman and Satterfield Halls
Interior Renovations    KSU-11L105    $1,000,000    
Design Firm: Office of the University Architect

That could be why right there
True story; they don't have a good track record.

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2011, 12:56:52 PM »
Work has begun on the remodeling of Risman Plaza:

Relocation of bus stop

Also, an update on the progress of the Music and Speech Center:

As a KSU student I can say this was a terribly executed idea. The plaza was designed by the same people who did Arizona States plaza and they specialized in creating designs that create a "wind tunnel". While this is good for Arizona State to have a wind tunnel more wind is definitely not needed at Kent State because it's windy enough already. So now when you walk through the walkway past the Kiva a HUGE gust of wind just hits you and in the winter seasons this absolutely sucks...bad design choice by KSU

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »
KSU to resubmit building proposal

New student fee would pay for $250 million upgrade

By Paula Schleis

Published on Thursday, Apr 21, 2011

KSU's plans call for updating 30 buildings. Some need to be made more wheelchair accessible, some need technology updates and others need to be more energy efficient, Lefton said.

Because of leaking window panes in aging buildings, the university is ''spending tens of thousands of dollars, as my dad would say, 'heating the streets,' '' Lefton said.

The Art Building would be rebuilt and a new hall would be constructed for the College of Architecture & Environmental Design

http://www.ohio.com/news/120341009.html

It seems like they are trying to slip this by now that there is a new State Chancellor in place.

They really need to re-do Taylor Hall because for an Architecture building it is REALLY old and disgusting looking as an Architecture student I hate going through it because of how bad it looks I always have said that the AED building should have a cutting edge design and should really get peoples attention in a good way...this isn't doing it. This is just a prime example of how bad the brutalist designs were

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »
They really need to re-do Taylor Hall because for an Architecture building it is REALLY old and disgusting looking as an Architecture student I hate going through it because of how bad it looks I always have said that the AED building should have a cutting edge design and should really get peoples attention in a good way...this isn't doing it. This is just a prime example of how bad the brutalist designs were

I know the exterior isn't great, as well as the layout of the first 3 floors, but the studio space on the 4th floor works well and has great views that don't make it so bad to be there long hours.

They're gearing up to do some major work:

Renovations and Addition to MultipleScience Buildings
Construction Cost: $60,000,000

This project will renovate three existing science buildings as well as provide an addition for increased academic and
research space. The renovations will address deferred maintenance needs in Williams Hall, Smith Hall and Cunningham
Hal
l and at the same time will establish state of the art science facilities for teaching and research.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
KSU hikes tuition and dorm fees, approves union contract, borrows $170 million for capital improvements

By Paula Schleis

To pay for sweeping building renovations and new construction that has been on the university’s wish list for years, KSU will issue $170 million in bonds and pay the money back through its operating budget.

Lefton offered a few clues, noting that plans for new architecture, art and technology facilities have been discussed in the past, and that updating science labs is a priority.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/ksu-hikes-tuition-and-dorm-fees-approves-union-contract-borrows-170-million-for-capital-improveme-1.274404

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »
Click on the link to see renderings.  I think This is a good plan for two reasons: 1) The The driving entrance will no longer be at a busy intersection where it is annoying to cross the street while walking down summit. 2) The new parking lot will become a perfect spot if the need for a new building ever arises. not to mention, it is a great improvement from the wasteland of evergreens and parking booths which are there now.

Kent State Begins Student Green Project
http://www.kent.edu/news/newsdetail.cfm?newsitem=7E320F8F-9836-B325-ACC1CB302FAE4329

Fulfilling the commitment Kent State University President Lester A. Lefton made to students, the university today began initial construction activities on the Student Green project in the Kent Student Center area, located at the heart of the campus. The new Student Green will extend from the recently renovated Risman Plaza to the lawn area south, creating a contiguous green space from the current student center plaza to Summit Street.

“This is the second phase of a project to create an attractive entrance to campus for our university family, university guests and prospective students considering enrollment at Kent State,” said Gregg Floyd, Kent State’s senior vice president for finance and administration. “It also fulfills a promise to our students from President Lefton to provide attractive outdoor space dedicated to casual student use, as well as programmed student activities. Response to the Risman Plaza renovations has been very favorable, and the energized atmosphere produced by the heavy student use is great for the campus.”
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:48:34 AM by Whipjacka »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2012, 09:35:11 AM »
Seems unnecessary to me. Either people won't use the space for gathering as shown, or they will use the space which draws them away from the student center which is supposed to be a hub for student activity.

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »
Click on the link to see renderings.  I think This is a good plan for two reasons: 1) The The driving entrance will no longer be at a busy intersection where it is annoying to cross the street while walking down summit. 2) The new parking lot will become a perfect spot if the need for a new building ever arises. not to mention, it is a great improvement from the wasteland of evergreens and parking booths which are there now.

Kent State Begins Student Green Project
http://www.kent.edu/news/newsdetail.cfm?newsitem=7E320F8F-9836-B325-ACC1CB302FAE4329

Fulfilling the commitment Kent State University President Lester A. Lefton made to students, the university today began initial construction activities on the Student Green project in the Kent Student Center area, located at the heart of the campus. The new Student Green will extend from the recently renovated Risman Plaza to the lawn area south, creating a contiguous green space from the current student center plaza to Summit Street.

“This is the second phase of a project to create an attractive entrance to campus for our university family, university guests and prospective students considering enrollment at Kent State,” said Gregg Floyd, Kent State’s senior vice president for finance and administration. “It also fulfills a promise to our students from President Lefton to provide attractive outdoor space dedicated to casual student use, as well as programmed student activities. Response to the Risman Plaza renovations has been very favorable, and the energized atmosphere produced by the heavy student use is great for the campus.”
I like the plan it will be nice to have another green space that will be at the center of the campus so more people will use it but to me this should allow for some of the centennial green areas to have some type of usable structure on it imo KSU looks to flat and I like density....maybe because I'm from the city  :cool2:

Offline jeremyck01

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
^Perhaps while you are at Kent, you can take a basic writing course and learn to use punctuation! :wink:

Offline Keith

• Premium Member
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06:03 AM »
^Perhaps while you are at Kent, you can take a basic writing course and learn to use punctuation! :wink:
Kent read, Kent write, Kent State!
Occasionally known as Grumpy.

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »
Oops  :oops: I was rushing to respond haha

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »

Close. Try: can't read, can't write, Kent State.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline Keith

• Premium Member
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »

Close enough.
Occasionally known as Grumpy.

Offline MissinOhio

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »

Close enough.

I've always said it the same as well. 

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
I grabbed some photos of a few of the houses that will be demolished for the esplanade. The loss of the homes is not a great concern to me, but I am really curious how the esplanade will de designed and landscaped; I hope it is not overly apparent that it was just sliced through a neighborhood.

I could not tell what was going on with this house; it was lifted off its foundation and temporarily sitting near the esplanade's path.

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2012, 10:10:34 PM »
that was the house of the first women kent state faculty member, i think

Remove Ads