Author Topic: Cleveland: Demolition Watch  (Read 362055 times)

Offline lafont

• 665'-Queen City Square
Re: Cleveland: Demolition Watch
« Reply #1820 on: November 21, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
^Wow--awesome tile in the lobby.
Really, really bad shape!

Offline sooner

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #1821 on: February 15, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
I have noticed in recent weeks, several homes on the west edge of I77 between Fleet and Broadway that have been boarded up and appear to have been readied for demolition.  There may be as many as a dozen houses.....all very old.  I am wondering what might be planned for the site...... you don't just clear such a large area for nothing, right?
Anyone know what is going on there?  Thanks.

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #1822 on: February 15, 2017, 10:38:05 AM »
I have noticed in recent weeks, several homes on the west edge of I77 between Fleet and Broadway that have been boarded up and appear to have been readied for demolition.  There may be as many as a dozen houses.....all very old.  I am wondering what might be planned for the site...... you don't just clear such a large area for nothing, right?

According to the Councilman the houses have been condemned and are awaiting demolition. Might be tied to this info: http://www.clevelandcitycouncil.org/news-resources/current-news/2016/2016-01-news/fine-levied-against-serial-flipper-used-to-demolis
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:38:44 AM by BCCLE1 »

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #1823 on: February 15, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
I was surprised the other day to see the Lakeshore power plant on the East Shoreway was in the midst of being torn down.  I guess I knew it was going to happen, just not prepared to see it. 
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1824 on: February 15, 2017, 11:48:22 AM »

That site is also next to a very large former mill property that was cleared, cleaned and leveled and prepped at great expense by the city and a real estate developer to make it ready for a return to productive industrial use. The site is clearly visible from I-77 and there is a billboard next to the highway marketing the site. Since there's only so many clean places to build large-scale industral facilities in the urban core, I'm hopeful the site will be developed soon, especially after reading two weeks ago that Charter Wire is adding to it facilities in Cuyahoga Heights with a new $150 million steel mill....
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2017/01/charter_steel_to_build_new_150.html
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1825 on: February 15, 2017, 01:54:06 PM »
Whatever they do I hope they do it soon. I think it looks horrible to have all those homes rotting away right in front of everyone approaching Downtown from the south.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1826 on: February 16, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
I was surprised the other day to see the Lakeshore power plant on the East Shoreway was in the midst of being torn down.  I guess I knew it was going to happen, just not prepared to see it. 

It's about 2/3 torn down, for some reason they have left most of the wall facing 90 standing.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1827 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:13 AM »

That site is also next to a very large former mill property that was cleared, cleaned and leveled and prepped at great expense by the city and a real estate developer to make it ready for a return to productive industrial use. The site is clearly visible from I-77 and there is a billboard next to the highway marketing the site. Since there's only so many clean places to build large-scale industral facilities in the urban core, I'm hopeful the site will be developed soon, especially after reading two weeks ago that Charter Wire is adding to it facilities in Cuyahoga Heights with a new $150 million steel mill....
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2017/01/charter_steel_to_build_new_150.html

It should probably be noted that this is the site of the Forman Mills fire and some of that cleanup was necessary for safety related reasons.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1828 on: February 16, 2017, 11:57:13 AM »
It should probably be noted that this is the site of the Forman Mills fire and some of that cleanup was necessary for safety related reasons.

I thought this was a Wheeling & Lake Erie railroad yard that was abandoned when the W&LE was abandoned through Slavic Village about 20 years ago? Are you thinking of the Worsted Mills fire in the early 1990s. In terms of size of buildings destroyed, that had to be one of, if not the biggest fire in Cleveland history, BTW.
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #1829 on: February 16, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »
That was a New York, Chicago and St. Louis (Nickel Plate) yard and what appears to be a coke plant for the steel mill (that closed around 2000?) (via http://historicaerials.com?layer=1994&zoom=17&lat=41.46875481041432&lon=-81.66374802589417).

Interesting to note, check out the stub at Broadway for the US 21 freeway, which is still visible today. The alignment, when it became I-77, shifted west to avoid impacting more of the neighborhood.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:41:17 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1830 on: February 16, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
That was a New York, Chicago and St. Louis (Nickel Plate) yard and what appears to be a coke plant for the steel mill (that closed around 2000?) (via http://historicaerials.com?layer=1994&zoom=17&lat=41.46875481041432&lon=-81.66374802589417).

The yard and its overall Cleveland Division line to Canton was built by the Connotton Valley Railway in 1880, acquired by Wheeling & Lake Erie in 1899, leased to the Nickel Plate RR in 1949, became part of Norfolk & Western after the 1964 merger, mothballed in 1974, and sold to a new start-up Wheeling & Lake Erie regional railroad in 1990. The tracks north of the South Broadway neighborhood and into the Flats were abandoned circa 2000.

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #1831 on: February 16, 2017, 02:48:56 PM »
That explains why the line over I-490 near its eastern end is practically abandoned now. Were the tracks redundant?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:49:10 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1832 on: February 16, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »
That explains why the line over I-490 near its eastern end is practically abandoned now. Were the tracks redundant?

Different right of way owner. The line that bridges over the east end of I-490 was the main line of the Erie Railroad's Mahoning Division's Second District. It was significantly downgraded in the five years following its absorption into Conrail in 1976. After 1982, the tracks weren't active west of Broadway Ave where it served a small petroleum business. It was all that remained of Standard Oil's massive #1 refinery that had been there for more than 100 years.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1833 on: February 17, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »

I thought this was a Wheeling & Lake Erie railroad yard that was abandoned when the W&LE was abandoned through Slavic Village about 20 years ago? Are you thinking of the Worsted Mills fire in the early 1990s. In terms of size of buildings destroyed, that had to be one of, if not the biggest fire in Cleveland history, BTW.

Yeah, Worsted.  Though I thjnk East Ohio Gas in 1944 had it beat.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1834 on: February 18, 2017, 01:08:53 AM »

You may be right. I remember driving past the huge site after the fire. The crumpled, charred remains of those massive brick buildings looked like a war zone. I've heard the East Ohio Gas explosion site looked the same, especially since it occurred during World War II.

Worsted Mills fire
http://frank-dutton.blogspot.com/2012/08/cleveland-worsted-mill-fire.html?m=1
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:11:35 AM by KJP »

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1835 on: February 19, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »

You may be right. I remember driving past the huge site after the fire. The crumpled, charred remains of those massive brick buildings looked like a war zone. I've heard the East Ohio Gas explosion site looked the same, especially since it occurred during World War II.

Worsted Mills fire
http://frank-dutton.blogspot.com/2012/08/cleveland-worsted-mill-fire.html?m=1

Looked it up.  EOG killed 130, this was fewer than the Collinwood School Fire that killed 174 and about the same as the Cleveland Clinic fire in 1929..   It did about a quarter billion dollars damage in current dollars, and the explosion has been calculated as 1/6 of a Hiroshima. 

- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1836 on: February 19, 2017, 02:06:03 PM »
Looked it up.  EOG killed 130, this was fewer than the Collinwood School Fire that killed 174 and about the same as the Cleveland Clinic fire in 1929..   It did about a quarter billion dollars damage in current dollars, and the explosion has been calculated as 1/6 of a Hiroshima. 

It's why there's a few streets of post-war bungalows surrounded by a sea of pre-Depression era Cleveland Doubles south of the blast site.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:06:39 PM by KJP »

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1837 on: February 19, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »

It's why there's a few streets of post-war bungalows surrounded by a sea of pre-Depression era Cleveland Doubles south of the blast site.

A really stubborn and determined elderly community leader named Anton Grdina made that happen.  People literally moved into new houses with the exact same neighbors.

The blast was on the same absolute scale as Port Chicago and Texas City.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1838 on: February 23, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
Shoreway power plant remains are to be blown up at about 1am tonight.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1839 on: February 24, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »
Here's video of the power plant demo:

WATCH: Lake Shore Power Plant smoke stack comes crashing down
http://fox8.com/2017/02/24/watch-lake-shore-power-plant-smoke-stack-comes-crashing-down/

Jump ahead to the 2-minute mark:

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1840 on: February 24, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
Here's video of the power plant demo:

#ThingsIHaveSleptThrough
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #1841 on: February 24, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »
What will become of the land where the power plant formerly stood?

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1842 on: February 24, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »
^ I am assuming a lot of remediation will be needed before anything happens.

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #1843 on: February 24, 2017, 10:38:58 AM »
Agreed. Does CEI have plans for it or will they unload it?

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1844 on: February 24, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
Agreed. Does CEI have plans for it or will they unload it?

Latest plan is a grass field for now.

I know there's been talk about moving the Shoreway, but I drive by there all the time and as long as a building was raised a bit (perhaps over a parking garage) it's close enough to the lake to be considered "lakefront".
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1845 on: March 02, 2017, 08:41:58 PM »
Driving by the remains, it looks like they may not have done such a good job.

I suspect the stack was meant to fall in that direction, but the boiler building appears only partially collapsed.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1846 on: March 03, 2017, 07:48:51 AM »
In the demolition, the boiler building looks like it just rolled over.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #1847 on: March 03, 2017, 08:08:52 AM »
In the demolition, the boiler building looks like it just rolled over.

Which is how the wreckage looks.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #1848 on: March 03, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »
Driving by the remains, it looks like they may not have done such a good job.

I suspect the stack was meant to fall in that direction, but the boiler building appears only partially collapsed.

I think this may have been done on purpose. In watching many demo's seemlier to this one, buildings are usually meant to fall a certain way, and this demo mimic's many others that can be found on YouTube.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1849 on: March 08, 2017, 12:55:57 AM »
Near West Design Review District
Agenda
(8:30 a.m., Wednesday, March 8th, 2017)
Dollar Bank, 3115 West 25th Street

8:30 a.m. 1. NW 2017-005: Commercial & Residential Building Demolition (C)
4302 Pearl Road
Project Representatives – Bob Goff, Jr., Leelila, LLC, Property Owner & Andy
Kiss, Andy’s Empire Demolition, Inc.
Proposed demolition of former commercial/residential building.

4302PearlRoad-Goff by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #1850 on: June 05, 2017, 05:19:54 PM »
Anyone know what Scranton Averell Inc is up to? This building has a 300k demolition order pending.
live small  dream big

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1851 on: June 05, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
Anyone know what Scranton Averell Inc is up to? This building has a 300k demolition order pending.

Might want to post that in the Scranton Peninsula thread!
https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,4043.0.html

BTW, I know someone who owns a lot of Scranton Averell stock and goes to their shareholders conventions. Every so often he hears little nuggets about Scranton Peninsula and passes them along, but I've not heard from him in a long time. I should bug him to see if he knows anything.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:42:23 PM by KJP »

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1852 on: June 05, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
Oh man, sucks. The setting is still great, but so much of the Flats is on the road to Genericville as we lose all these cool old industrial structures.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1853 on: June 05, 2017, 06:20:23 PM »
Wait, demolition order? You mean the city has ordered the demolition (ie: condemned)?

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #1854 on: June 05, 2017, 06:36:46 PM »
Hmm It's under building permits, application pending - fee paid by Scranton Averel. So I don't think it is a condemned property. Shockingly.
live small  dream big

Remove Ads