Author Topic: Columbus: Scioto Peninsula Developments and News  (Read 47199 times)

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
Re: Columbus: Scioto Peninsula Developments and News
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »
Glad that this is moving forward but 5 story buildings with some free standing commercial seems weak and non-ambitious. Taller structures would take advantage of the view over COSI towards the Scioto Mile and downtown.

I wouldn't be surprised to see taller structures at some locations.  If we look back at the 2013 conceptual plan (shown below) it looks like a baseline rather than a cap.  There's nothing regulatory to prevent taller buildings, only the downtown residential market.  That market is red-hot right now and might push developers into taller towers.  Plus, it seems like taller than 5-story buildings would make sense at the back of the Scioto Peninsula next to those elevated tracks anyway:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:41:10 PM by Columbo »
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. -- Vincent van Gogh (1853-90)

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2016, 11:16:24 AM »
It's been 3 years since the initial Scioto Peninsula development announcement until this latest formal development agreement between the CDDC and the City.  Back in 2013, I looked at the five proposal projects related to the Scioto Peninsula and their progress (shown below).  Of those five projects, one is finished (Narrowing of the Scioto River / Scioto Greenways project); two are underway (New Vets Memorial, Underground Parking Garage); and one is part of this latest development agreement (New Residential Neighborhood).  Only one will not happen - the Columbus Zoo satellite project (Zoo Indoor Adventure next to COSI) - which might end up being for the best anyway.

So all in all, very steady and decent progress:
After the reports earlier this summer about some of the reports to redevelop the Scioto Peninsula, I was prepared to be underwhelmed by yesterday's announcement.  But I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the vision being shown and really can't argue with anything being proposed here.

The next questions are - How likely are these proposals to being built and what is the timeframe?  Here's my take on the various parts of the Scioto Peninsula Master Plan from that prespective:

1) Narrowing of the Scioto River - This is definately happening.  This was announced last year (and discussed here in the Scioto Mile thread).  The removal of the Main Street dam is funded and scheduled to be removed later this year.  Another lowhead dam to facilitate a similar river narrowing was done in Fall 2012 upstream at Fifth Street on the Olentangy River.

2) New Vets Memorial - This also looks like its definately happening.  A $25 million pledge from Limited Brands founder Leslie Wexner would fund this.  According to the Dispatch report, the final architectural designs of the New Veterans Memorial would begin this fall and demolition of the existing Vets would begin in Spring 2014.

3) Columbus Zoo Indoor Adventure - This looks very likely to happen.  However, it's still in the conceptual stage.  According to the Dispatch report, it would be a 50,000 square foot indoor site that could include an aquarium, rainforest and interactive educational components and would sit just southwest of COSI.  A possible opening date of 2017 has been mentioned.  The Columbus Zoo would likely fully fund this, possibly thru a new levy.

4) Underground Parking Garage - The existing surface parking lots west of COSI have been proposed to be replaced by an underground parking garage topped by a park.  The new underground garage would serve all three Scioto Peninsula attractions, COSI, New Vets and the Zoo.  It seems likely that would need to be built on a similar timeline with the new Zoo facility.  However, no funding or timeline is currently available.

5) New Residential Neighborhood - The most conceptual, but possibly most exciting part of the announcement, is a plan to add 1,200 residential units above ground-floor retail spaces.  The area west of Belle Street to the elevated railroad tracks is reserved for this new development.  According to the Dispatch report, this would be built by private developers.  It will very likely be based upon the Columbus Commons development model - which was managed by the Columbus Downtown Development Corp. (CDDC).  CDDC would also be managing this development plan.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:17:33 AM by Columbo »
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. -- Vincent van Gogh (1853-90)

Offline ck

• --ch4k1ng--
  • 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
High-rise apartments, restaurants, hotels envisioned on vacant land near COSI

Two 30-story residential towers with sweeping views of the Downtown skyline are among the new buildings envisioned to be built on long-vacant lots west of COSI.

A brand new city street lined with restaurants and shops and a boutique hotel or two also is planned for the 21-acre site on what's now called the Scioto Peninsula.

More at: http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170210/high-rise-apartments-restaurants-hotels-envisioned-on-vacant-land-near-cosi

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »
http://www.columbusunderground.com/master-plan-for-scioto-peninsula-unveiled-bw1
(For some reason I'm unable to see the image from the Dispatch - Here's one from CU)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:46:08 PM by Columbo »

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
Hopefully not another CDDC bait-and-switch. They get a good firm to do the master plan (Robert Stern here, MKSK for Columbus Commons), then execute with the worst developers possible (Carter...).

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »
Hopefully not another CDDC bait-and-switch. They get a good firm to do the master plan (Robert Stern here, MKSK for Columbus Commons), then execute with the worst developers possible (Carter...).
Cols. Commons was designed by EDGE, not MKSK.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2017, 01:11:18 PM »
Much more about this Scioto Peninsula news from Business First:

- $500 million plan would bring 30-story residential towers, offices and retail to Scioto Peninsula:  http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/02/10/500-million-plan-would-bring-30-story-residential.html

- Here’s why officials think downtown can handle another 3.1 million square feet of development:  http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/02/10/here-s-why-officials-think-downtown-can-handle.html

- Q&A on Scioto Peninsula plan: 'This is a once in a 100-year opportunity':  http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/02/10/q-a-on-scioto-peninsula-plan-this-is-a-once-in-a.html

Offline ink

« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2017, 01:11:46 PM »

Correct. But MKSK (or MSI at the time) did the original plan, which was much stronger.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:11:54 PM by ink »

Offline Pablo

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2017, 01:20:03 PM »

Correct. But MKSK (or MSI at the time) did the original plan, which was much stronger.
It was a pretty picture not based in reality or budget. Their plan didn't take into account keeping the parking garage below fully functional. It would have been physically impossible to bring Town St. through the park as MSI suggested and keep the garage below as CDDC required and within the budget. I agree that the Carter project is awful.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2017, 01:23:10 PM »
More renderings from the Scioto Peninsula Master Plan:

Online casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »
Here's the full site plan of the development proposal. Overall I think it's very strong!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:33:59 PM by casey »

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »
If they do even half of that, I'll be pleased.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2017, 11:47:59 PM »
Scioto Peninsula plan's architect on finding inspiration in the site's tight footprint

The architect behind the Scioto Peninsula design guidelines says the 21-acre site is ideal for urban development.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/02/16/scioto-peninsula-plans-architect-on-finding.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: February 20, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
Business First had this recap graphic of the Scioto Peninsula Master Plan in their Friday print edition:

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »
Came across these two recent construction pics of the New Vets Memorial (night-time shot and daytime shot) at https://www.reddit.com/r/Columbus/comments/5zz13b/the_new_vets_has_some_crazy_structural/

And this mid-March shot of the New Vets Memorial is from http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-italian-village-downtown-more

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2017, 03:05:13 PM »
Business First's instagram feed also had this older overhead shot of the New Vets Memorial:  https://www.instagram.com/columbusbiz1st/

Last Saturday's Dispatch contained this chopper photo showing the New Vets Memorial and the COSI Underground Parking Garage across Broad Street under construction.  Couldn't locate a digital image, so I scanned the print photo:

And CU had this ground level view of the COSI Underground Parking Garage from February:  http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-february-2017

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:38:10 PM by Columbo »

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »
10 developers in 4 teams named finalists for $500M Scioto Peninsula project

The $500 million plan to redevelop the Scioto Peninsula is closer to having a master developer. CDDC has winnowed the list of potential partners to four development teams, made up of 10 companies based from New York to Los Angeles.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/04/03/10-developers-in-4-teams-named-finalists-for-500m.html

Online casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2017, 11:26:41 PM »
Georgetown, Daimler, and Kaufman look like the best pick to me as far as first impressions go, with Crawford Hoying second.

Carter should be banned from the city for life after HighPoint, and Buckingham from Indy seems very cheap/meh from a quick glance at their work.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:27:18 PM by casey »

Offline Toddguy

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
Georgetown, Daimler, and Kaufman look like the best pick to me as far as first impressions go, with Crawford Hoying second.

Carter should be banned from the city for life after HighPoint, and Buckingham from Indy seems very cheap/meh from a quick glance at their work.

Yes! -especially the last part!!!!!

Offline eurokie

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2017, 08:20:52 PM »
I like the new-urbanism chops of Crawford Hoying and SunCal.

I like the design chops of Daimler and Kaufman, and the financing chops of Georgetown.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:21:15 PM by eurokie »
Travels, issues, and ideas: www.greenlakebluecity.com

Online tlb919

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
Some image updated form the flurry of work happening around COSI right now too.

How many cranes can you spot? Too bad COSI blocks at least 3 more in RiverSouth.

All of life is an experiment.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2017, 03:03:14 PM »
Veterans Memorial project taking shape on Scioto Peninsula

The country’s first National Veterans Memorial & Museum is taking shape on the western edge of downtown.

With construction about halfway through, I toured the site on Columbus’ Scioto Peninsula where the former Franklin County Veterans Memorial building stood until 2015.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/05/23/photos-veterans-memorial-project-taking-shape-on.html

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
Found this new photo of the Veterans Memorial project on reddit.  Nice view from W. Broad Street, now that the concrete structure has been freed from all the props and forms.  Funny thing about the reddit post was that the poster thought the building looks like a new X-Men HQ:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Columbus/comments/6jklf3/charles_xavier_is_getting_a_lot_less_subtle_about/?st=j4g9gl5h&sh=7842d9e9

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: July 02, 2017, 11:57:30 PM »
Hard Hat Tour: National Veterans Memorial & Museum

The National Veterans Memorial & Museum is starting to take shape on the Scioto Peninsula. The unique building’s concrete shell is now in place and the surrounding land is being shaped to eventually hold 250 trees, a reflecting pool and a network of walking paths.

Amy Taylor of the Columbus Downtown Development Corporation (CDDC), which is managing the project, recently gave Columbus Underground a hard hat tour of the site.

More below:
http://www.columbusunderground.com/hard-hat-tour-national-veterans-memorial-museum-bw1

Online casey

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2017, 07:02:14 PM »
Aaannnddd... It appears the winner is Crawford Hoying!

https://www.goscioto.com/

All of the images below are from the rendered fly-through video at the project's link,

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: July 17, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »

WOW!  That really looks good!

Crawford Hoying would be a good choice.  This looks like a more contemporary version of their outstanding Dublin Bridge Park project.

Offline drtom1234

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #201 on: July 17, 2017, 08:40:22 PM »
Absolutely spectacular. Love it!

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2017, 08:52:53 PM »
Sleepy area -- Transform!

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »
This looks great. This is a spot that has been begging for a proper urban neighborhood. Columbus's riverfront is turning into a premier area in the state.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2017, 09:51:22 PM »
It really should have been one a long time ago. Granted it's not a navigable river and the floodwall didn't go up until the Year 2000, but I don't think this exact area had flooding issues or else Central High wouldn't have been there.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2017, 11:29:21 PM »
Well, now build it :).

Offline jbcmh81

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • All Columbus Data
« Reply #206 on: July 18, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »
Meh, I'm not all that impressed.  They seem to have only just matched the bare minimum of what the city asked for.  They have the few requested towers, but the majority of the development is all exactly the same height and boxy shape. 
It's basically the Arena District or Easton with a few towers.  We've seen that already, let's see something different for Franklinton.  I'd like to see much more variation in style and height.  Not everything needs to be glass and/or brick, and not everything should be 5-6 stories. 
It's boring stuff, and looks like a planned neighborhood rather than having any organic feel.  The peninsula is a blank slate. Going back to the same development styles again and again and again in Columbus has been stale for a while now.  Think outside the box- literally.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:57:11 PM by jbcmh81 »

Offline JYP

• Planning for Urbanism in the 21st Century
    • Cincinnati's Premier Urban Blog
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2017, 02:12:13 PM »

Clicked on the link and it says website expired.
"All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: July 18, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »

Clicked on the link and it says website expired.

That's odd.  It was working last night.

I wonder if they jumped the gun on making this website public, because there hasn't been any local announcements about this.

Offline ink

« Reply #209 on: July 18, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
I was able to open the website around noon today.

Remove Ads