Author Topic: Cleveland: Flats Developments (Non-Stonebridge or FEB)  (Read 226999 times)

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Flats Developments (Non-Stonebridge or FEB)
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 10:05:47 AM »
mods, can we merge? pretty please.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:06:10 AM by 3231 »

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 10:09:05 AM »
Does anyone have access to a master plan, city of Cleveland or otherwise, for the Flats area?  As 3231 mentioned, there are now 4 significant projects planned for the flats, yet I've seen little (aside from a cursory land use plan from Building Cleveland By Design) in the way of a plan regarding how all these projects will interact with each other and with the existing land uses.  If Cleveland City Council is approving these projects, is it based on an existing plan or simply on the concept of highest use of available land?

I, for one, am very concerned about how all of these projects will interact with the towpath and existing light rail, as well as how they might be best served in the future by newly constructed/re-purposed multi-modal connections, i.e. bike lanes/shared lanes, bike/walk paths, sidewalks, bus/rail, etc.  Is there a plan for this?  And if not, can we at UrbanOhio help to spur the creation of one??
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 10:12:29 AM »
ah, so the Carter Road Bridge is the one that says Old River Road on it?  And this is actually aligned to true north, which always throws me off.  I usually think of our east-west streets as actually being east-west...

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 10:14:34 AM »
I'm not sure about that site outline. A check of the interactive planning map at the Planning Commission's web site shows Columbus Road Realty's land not going farther north than the intersection of Center Street and Columbus Road. Yet the parking lot looks like it's spread over onto Sherwin Williams' land.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:56:36 PM by KJP »
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 10:17:19 AM »
Is there a plan for this?

Why yes, I do believe that there is an organization that will be taking a good look at this. ;) That organization is represented on UO.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 10:30:49 AM »
Does anyone have access to a master plan, city of Cleveland or otherwise, for the Flats area?  As 3231 mentioned, there are now 4 significant projects planned for the flats, yet I've seen little (aside from a cursory land use plan from Building Cleveland By Design) in the way of a plan regarding how all these projects will interact with each other and with the existing land uses.  If Cleveland City Council is approving these projects, is it based on an existing plan or simply on the concept of highest use of available land?

I, for one, am very concerned about how all of these projects will interact with the towpath and existing light rail, as well as how they might be best served in the future by newly constructed/re-purposed multi-modal connections, i.e. bike lanes/shared lanes, bike/walk paths, sidewalks, bus/rail, etc.  Is there a plan for this?  And if not, can we at UrbanOhio help to spur the creation of one??

Great post Guv!!!
my 2      Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Online musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 10:37:55 AM »
There was a question about an over plan for the flats in the Cleveland Thread. I looked through all of the plans the city has on their site and they only have the individual plans for East Bank and Scranton Pen.

Online musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 10:41:27 AM »
The city has nothing on record re: plan for the whole Flats.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/cwp/dist3links.htm

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 10:43:53 AM »
mods, can we merge? pretty please.

do you want in contained in this thread, or to keep the thread outside?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 10:44:53 AM »
can we add it to the thread that KJP created?

Online musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 10:46:22 AM »
edit****************

image and post removed due to duplication after merge

please resume your normal viewing habits
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:03:40 PM by musky »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 11:15:21 AM »
The Flats Oxbow Association is developing a masterplan, but I don't know where they are in the process.

Offline Avogadro

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • Bleeding a trail through the lens
    • Slavic Village Development
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »
The Flats Oxbow Association is developing a masterplan, but I don't know where they are in the process.
They're in the midst of data collection, and they've (Flats Oxbow and Jim Boniface) have already interviewed dozens of stakeholders.  I think that they're aiming at having the draft plan together by this Autumn.
Christopher Alvarado, Slavic Village Development

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 12:06:33 PM »
I've heard that the Flats-Oxbow is pretty much a useless organization (and most people in the Flats realize that). I don't think that their master plan would necessarily carry much weight.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2007, 12:53:03 PM »
If they don't have a design-review panel, then I can see your point.

Offline gavster

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »
add this to the exciting new cleveland developments. in ten years you wont recognize this city. keep em coming!

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2007, 06:39:14 PM »
they do have design review

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2007, 06:41:33 PM »
Wow, the strip district sure is attracting a lot of residential development! Maybe Larry Flynt will sell the air-rights above his new club for some additional residential towers.  ;)
NOW you are talking!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2007, 06:49:36 PM »

It sounds like a long range plan it is overdue...I could have sworn there was something of flatsooxbow site but cannot find anything. You are very right guv...I agree the potential should not be ruined by haphazardly piecing everything together and tainted by incompatable uses.  Lets do it right! I think current  residents need to be part of the stakeholder group.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:51:07 PM by peabody99 »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2007, 07:00:03 PM »

I've heard that the only keeping the Flats Oxbow Association alive is that the executive director is independently weather and does not charge members fees to keep the association alive. Additionally, I read in a recent news letter that the design review of the Flats Oxbow approved awnings for the renovated cantina building. It went on to say that the developer nor the city/public do not want the awnings. What's with that??

Offline jamiec

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2007, 07:12:31 PM »
^^ Just a friendly suggestion I guess!

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2007, 07:15:22 PM »

I've heard that the only keeping the Flats Oxbow Association alive is that the executive director is independently weather and does not charge members fees to keep the association alive. Additionally, I read in a recent news letter that the design review of the Flats Oxbow approved awnings for the renovated cantina building. It went on to say that the developer nor the city/public do not want the awnings. What's with that??
I read that too. Misprint? or was it something that is required due to some code? I know I paid my members dues- maybe my $5 a year is what keeps it alive!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2007, 01:26:17 PM »
I don't why I'm even posting this, since I got my a$$ scooped by Crain's on the story. But here it is anyway....

July 19, 2007
West Side Sun News
High-rise condominiums proposed for waterfront
By Ken Prendergast
Staff Writer

When the real estate market gets dry, just add water.
   Thats what a partnership led by developer Russell Berzin is doing by proposing four high-rise condominium buildings next to the Cuyahoga River in the Flats. The $50 million development of 265 for-sale housing units would be sought in phases, with construction of the first building starting as early as spring 2008.
   City Councils Planning Zoning and Development Committee last week recommended rezoning nearly four acres of land owned by Columbus Road Realty at Columbus Road and Center Street. Their recommendation follows an approval by the City Planning Commission.
   Columbus Road Realty was formed by real estate investors James Breen, Benjamin Cappadora, Joel Cole, Michael Miller and Raymond Schmidlin Jr. Cole is president of Network Parking. They bought the land in 1999 from Sherwin Williams Co. but has remained a parking lot.
   City Council will have to approve the rezoning change, from general industry to a relatively new zoning classification downtown residential, which allows other uses on the same property such as restaurants or retail. More than 600 housing units have been built and sold in the Flats with another 1,500 housing units planned among the Stonebridge and Flats East Bank developments.
   No housing market? Give me a break, said Ward 13 Councilman Joe Cimperman. Lakefront housing and riverfront housing is where its at.
   Ive learned over my career theres (marketing) buttons that can be pushed when water is involved, said Berzin. Well break ground right after enough sales contracts are in hand. Our most optimistic path is to be breaking ground in the spring, but it could be a year later.
   He has built housing in Lake County, Cleveland Heights and Naples, Fla. This will be Berzins first development in downtown Cleveland. Why now?
   Theres a need for quality housing downtown, he said. It (the site) is within steps to the federal building, the site for Canal Basin Park, Tower City and what could potentially be the convention center.
   City and Ohio Canal Corridor officials are putting together a funding package for building the Canal Basin Park, a 20-acre area between Settlers Landing and the Carter Road bridge. The city committed $3 million for the park and is seeking additional grants, Cimperman said.
   Paul Volpe, president of City Architecture Inc., said planning for the condo towers is still in the early stages. Envisioned are four glassy buildings ranging in from eight to 20 stories tall and built atop low-level parking structures.
   Despite the ground-level parking, he said the buildings will be designed with whats called a street presence. Thats planning parlance for larger structures having publicly accessible amenities along the sidewalk, like cafes and shops.
   Its a very important piece of riverfront in the Flats, Volpe said. The views are phenomenal. Its fabulous.

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Theres a need for quality housing downtown, he said. It (the site) is within steps to the federal building, the site for Canal Basin Park, Tower City and what could potentially be the convention center.

and the best nudie bar district this side of the Mississippi!
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2007, 07:18:58 PM »
fyi:

The City has its sights set on 2014 for a Canal Basin opening. They don't want to open it until the towpath reaches downtown.

Offline ragarcia

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2007, 12:39:13 PM »
I'm glad someone has the vision to develop those parking lots, I remember when the building that was there got demolished and I always thought, why the heck put a parking lot there when you can put housing and retail/restaurants instead.  The west bank (even though technically this is sandwiched between the north and south sides of the river) is going to rock.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:58:05 PM by the pope »

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2007, 02:59:02 PM »
All discussion regarding the Strip District has been moved back to

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=13073.msg201659#msg201659

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2007, 09:32:37 PM »
This sounds nice; I hope it get's done but let's be realistic.  Except for certain projects -- Stonebridge, Ave Dist, and hopefully soon on a Flats East Bank near you, Wolstein (that's gone quiet lately, what'z up over there?) -- a lot of projects are struggling.  If things had gone as planned,  Marous' District Park would be openning Phase one about now; there've seemingly been umpteen planned "Courthouse Square" condo projects that have disappeared into the netherlands, and even in booming Ohio City, the Jay Loft project is stopped in slow sales construction limbo (and that's largely adaptive reuse with some infill/new construction) ... In case you haven't noticed, in most towns, housing -- particularly new start condo/1-family housing is still slumping.  In downtown, while we've had fantastic adaptive reuse, totally new construction has been few and far between and seemily all of it one location: at Stonebridge.

I'm pulling for Zaremba over at Avenue District and the others, but it's tough right now.  Canal Basin sounds nice, and I'd obviously loooove seeing it, but right now I'd just be happy with the stuff already out there getting done downtown (and in town)... and that includes 515 E. Euclid, where the planned condo tower is... well, somewhere in the future, I guess... last I looked there isn't any ground-level retail there, yet.  Maybe when ECP finally finishes there will...

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2009, 07:51:27 AM »
[I cannot, for the life of me, find the West Bank Flats thread .. the search feature on this site is frustrating. I literally spent about 10 minutes looking. So if anyone can move this post to the correct thread, feel free.]

'Flats Connections Plan' would add parks, trails on west bank site
Posted by Steven Litt/Plain Dealer Architecture Critic
January 09, 2009 22:50PM

Click here to download PDF .

The gray industrial landscape and parking lots on the west bank of the Flats, now edged with housing and nightclubs, could soon be crisscrossed with parks, trails and green spaces.

The new "Flats Connections Plan," completed by the nonprofit organizations ParkWorks, Cleveland Public Art and Building Cleveland by Design, shows how an abandoned railway and the vacant strip under the Main Avenue Bridge could become playgrounds, bikeways and artificial wetlands.

"We think there's a huge opportunity to realize this in the short term," said Ann Zoller, director of ParkWorks. She said major elements of the proposal could be achieved within several years, despite the recent economic downturn and the sudden halt of major projects, including the $522 million Flats East Bank development...

more at:  http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2009/01/flats_connections_plan_would_a.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:57:42 PM by McCleveland »

Online Oldmanladyluck

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2009, 11:08:08 AM »
What a bunch of dumb @sses on cleveland.whatever.  Unbelievable.

I really like this plan.  If and when Forest City decides to develop their portion of the peninsula, this could be a great asset for them.  Here's hoping that federal dollars will come to the rescue of the hillside along Irishtown Bend. 
A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
-Mohandas Gandhi

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »
Yeah. I hope so, too.

I really hate depending on so many federal dollars, though. I guess these are the times in which we live right now, but I'd prefer there to be some other way, I think.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »
What a bunch of dumb @sses on cleveland.whatever.  Unbelievable.

I really like this plan.  If and when Forest City decides to develop their portion of the peninsula, this could be a great asset for them.  Here's hoping that federal dollars will come to the rescue of the hillside along Irishtown Bend. 

Off-topic - I absolutely LOVE it when people trolls on cleveland.com talk smack about this forum. It simply reinforces the notion that UrbanOhio isn't a place for mudslinging cowards - diverse viewpoints, yes. But mudslinging cowards and trolls? Nope.

Anyway, I think this plan sounds good in theory and I'm really intrigued to see if shoring up the Irishtown Bend hillside includes stabilizing the land for possible development.

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2009, 06:19:22 PM »
Off-topic - I absolutely LOVE it when people trolls on cleveland.com talk smack about this forum. It simply reinforces the notion that UrbanOhio isn't a place for mudslinging cowards - diverse viewpoints, yes. But mudslinging cowards and trolls? Nope.

I'm very thankful for UO. I think it's such a timely thing, and it's so helpful in terms of banding people together to actually dare to love their city and dream about moving it forward, individually and as a city. Cleveland needs this, a contingent of people who are proud of their city and aren't ashamed of that pride. In its own way, this can be a dramatic tool in terms of getting the word out that, even though it has its problems like every city does, Cleveland is a great place.

If people on cleveland.com want to whine and moan and stew in their self-pity and lazy bitching, then let them for all I care. But they're the ones who are responsible for Cleveland going downhill .. just as much as any corrupt city leader that might be out there.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:24:58 PM by jpop »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2009, 10:59:05 PM »
great plan. all kinds of awesome. obama make it so.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »
Great to see this article in print. An idea that's long overdue, and to be honest I'm very frustrated that it would take so long to become a reality.

Forest City, please take the lead on this project.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:11:52 PM by surfohio »

Remove Ads