Author Topic: Cleveland: Flats Developments (Non-Stonebridge or FEB)  (Read 242326 times)

Offline shs96

• 771'-Terminal Tower
Re: Cleveland: Flats Developments (Non-Stonebridge or FEB)
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2009, 01:08:48 PM »
I don't think they have finalized a location of the park or even the path through the Flats.  The project is being managed by the County Engineer's office and, well, they are a little busy right now.  But you can check out the website here:  http://www.ohioanderiecanalway.com/  there is an interactive map you can browse to get an idea of what has been proposed.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
The location of canal basin park is the area immediately south of the ohio & erie canal entry point... essentially the surface lot areas behind the flat iron cafe.  but yes, there are still a lot of details to be worked out.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline tedders55

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2009, 02:15:52 PM »
I've met with the Cleveland Rowing Foundation and they really do have a great idea.  They definetly have a steep road ahead.  They need sponsers and are activly seeking out other Social/Athletic Clubs that may be interested in the site. 

More Information about the park can be found at http://www.clevelandrows.org/rivergate_park.php.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
^ aah interesting. the commodore club marina -- i am surprised the ratners or someone else hasn't grabbed that up by now.

good luck with rivergate park, that sounds like a great idea. an excellent spot for something like that too, especially as scranton and the flats get built up around there someday.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline tedolph

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2009, 03:05:25 PM »
Some of the nonprofits in this town have the best development ideas.  It is often said in business that you make your own luck.  This is one of those opportunities.  I hope one or more of the charitable Foundations see this the same way.  The return on investment would be enormous.  $3 million is really not that much money.  A matching grant of $1.5 million is probably all it would take. 

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2009, 03:11:24 PM »
i wonder what the cost of the development would be...
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline tedders55

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2009, 03:57:53 PM »
^ from their website $400K.  there is not a ton of buildings that are being erected.  so that cuts down on a lot of the costs.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2009, 04:10:09 PM »
wow... that seems oddly low to me.  I'd think it would cost more than that just to turn the asphault into "parkland" aside from the buildings.

Offline bjk

• 468'-Scripps Center
    • BJK Research LLC
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2009, 07:23:42 AM »
Is this the section of the riverbank directly across from the hillside that is close to collapse?

Offline Coneybear

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2009, 07:49:18 AM »
Yes, it is. Which is just another reason that we need the funding to fix that problem. But that's a discussion for another thread

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2009, 11:46:03 PM »
Good news!

Land purchase moves trail plan a step closer to reality
By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer
December 28, 2009, 9:50PM

The long-held civic dream of linking neighborhoods along Cleveland's Flats to the Cuyahoga River and Lake Erie with hike-and-bike trails just took a big step forward.

The Trust for Public Land, a national nonprofit land-conservation organization based in San Francisco, announced Monday it closed a $3.2 million deal to preserve 1.3 miles of abandoned rail bed on the west bank of the Flats for a future trail network.

More at:
http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2009/12/land_purchase_moves_trail_plan.html

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
  • Fish worship... Is it wrong?
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2009, 10:22:23 PM »
This will be one hell of a trail and enhancement of the community. I like the physical fitness component such things encourage for a city too, aside from the positive environmental aspects. Such helps foster a healthier population which can lead to producing a quality and more productive workforce..and ultimately better widgets!  :-D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:07:57 PM by Etheostoma Caeruleum »
This city desert makes you feel so cold....
Its got so many people but its got no soul...
And its taken you so long...to find out you were wrong..
When you thought it held everything. -- Gerry Rafferty, "Baker Street"

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
Thanks FqntFlyr, this is great news.  Can't wait to see some refined designs for the trail system down there!
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Online Oldmanladyluck

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2009, 09:24:58 PM »
Good to see that this is moving forward. 
A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
-Mohandas Gandhi

Offline cardsnxtyr

• Premium Member
  • We Are The People
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:43 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this article, please move it if it needs to be moved.

Radioactive industrial site stands in way of completing Cleveland's Towpath Trail
By Michael Scott
January 26, 2010, 9:00AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Uranium-235 has a radioactive half-life of roughly 700 million years.

Tim Donovan is afraid it might take that long to find a way to get the Towpath Trail built through Cleveland.

More at Cleveland.com:
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/01/radioactive_industrial_site_st.html
Modify - Preview - Save

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2010, 10:24:50 AM »
Actually some insightful commentary after the article.

The delays on the Towpath completion are extremely frustrating. 

I wish to hell the city would have given Larry Flynt the Harshaw instead of the Crooked River building. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:28:59 AM by surfohio »

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2010, 06:45:53 PM »
by the way the flynt building is looking lovely front and center on the tow path. the stucco will look nice with the floridian concrete acccents already up.  lol

Offline cdogz

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2010, 10:36:16 AM »
Nothing like a nice lap dance after a long day on the trail. :evil:

Online w28th

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2010, 02:25:24 PM »
It's a shame all the strip clubs in this town are all in generic stripmall-like buildings.  I really wouldn't have a problem with all the neon and gaudy crap if it became part of the street.  I wouldn't mind seeing one on E4th honestly (how many people are going to jump me for this one).
"When you stand at the corner of Euclid Avenue and East Ninth Street in Cleveland, you stand at one of the busiest corners in the world -- and in the heart of a shopping district known far and wide for its many fine shops."

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2010, 03:17:35 PM »
The neon doesn't bother me...nor the lapdancing lol.

More than anything, it's cheap hideous stucco and strip mall appearance of the building. The Flats have so much potential, but just like with Euclid Ave, it just seems like many in power do not share a grand, coherent vision of what Cleveland could be.

How this place (and the even worse Christies Cabaret...vomit) can look so ridiculous and end up in a historic district is absolutely beyond me.

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2010, 03:39:27 PM »
actually the flats is not designated as a historic district. It has a lot of history, and it is a district, but never had an official designation, which was part of the problem. Had this gone off of Hamilton av or a dozen other locals close to downtown there would not be an issue. But Jackson and especially Cimperman championed this location HARD (lol) so let the shame live with them. Now private clubs are starting to take hold. the increased potential for prostitution and drugs in the emerging red light light district has its appeal to them. Yes tons of research to show drug and prositutuion activities are higher in these areas.  You may say to each their own, but do we want this area to be a gross tacky area, or a place where most poeple would want to live and enjoy? Will we proud of this area?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:40:38 PM by peabody99 »

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
  • Fish worship... Is it wrong?
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2010, 08:04:23 AM »
^I agree with your thoughts...and  no, I don't think so. You can only sugarcoat strip clubs so much... If these are the best we can do for economic development in an area that should be prime, I feel sad. Unless it becomes an area like a small King's Cross in Sydney, these joints add little of any dynamics to a city.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:04:50 AM by Etheostoma Caeruleum »
This city desert makes you feel so cold....
Its got so many people but its got no soul...
And its taken you so long...to find out you were wrong..
When you thought it held everything. -- Gerry Rafferty, "Baker Street"

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »
Much like 668 Euclid Avenue is so much more important than just a new "apartment building"... This project is so much more important than just "some rowing club".  Both are transformative projects that improve their surroundings so much that they just won't be able to help but spur development around them.

Cleveland Rowing Foundation 'very near' to a deal to acquire land on Cuyahoga River for rowing center
By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer
March 17, 2010, 4:00AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A group of rowing enthusiasts is tantalizingly close to realizing the dream of a sizable permanent home in Cleveland for rowing, canoeing and kayaking on the Cuyahoga River as soon as this summer.

Cleveland Rowing Foundation plan for Rivergate Park on Cuyahoga River deserves support (Dec. 16)
The nonprofit Cleveland Rowing Foundation, an umbrella group for nine high school, collegiate and adult rowing programs, has raised $1.9 million of the $3.2 million needed to buy the now-defunct Commodore's Club Marina on Columbus Road Peninsula in the Flats.

Members of the group said that while raising the rest of the cash is preferable, they are prepared to borrow a portion of the purchase price to close the deal within several months....

more at:  http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2010/03/cleveland_rowing_foundation_ve.html

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2010, 09:51:16 AM »
It's a shame all the strip clubs in this town are all in generic stripmall-like buildings.  I really wouldn't have a problem with all the neon and gaudy crap if it became part of the street.  I wouldn't mind seeing one on E4th honestly (how many people are going to jump me for this one).

I would go.  Better digs than the Crazy Horse on Miles. 
Work hard.

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2010, 10:20:20 AM »
McCleveland I agree 100 percent.

I know this project is going to start a trend toward sprucing up our riverfront. It's going to lead to better access, and help build that valuable bridge between the public and the waterfront.

Online Oldmanladyluck

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
It very well should lead to a greater focus on our largely underdeveloped riverfront (for various reasons).  Thanks for the link!
A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
-Mohandas Gandhi

Offline Ctownrocks1

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2010, 04:09:30 AM »
Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson to propose $300,000 loan to aid Rivergate project for Cleveland Rowing Foundation

Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson will propose that City Council grant a $300,000 low-interest loan to the nonprofit Cleveland Rowing Foundation to help create Rivergate Park on the Cuyahoga River.

"We will be introducing legislation to authorize the loan in the next couple of weeks," said Chris Warren, the mayor's chief of regional development.

The loan would help the rowing foundation acquire the former Commodore's Club Marina on Columbus Road Peninsula, just west of downtown in the Flats.

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2010/03/mayor_jackson_to_propose_30000.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:09:43 AM by Ctownrocks1 »

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »
an RFQ was recently released to design the bike/ped bridge over the rail road that will connect the Willow Street Bridge to Whiskey Island

http://planning.co.cuyahoga.oh.us/about/pdf/lakefrontconnectorrfq.pdf

responses are due March 31
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2010, 05:42:29 PM »
Really?  A bridge to cross a railroad track?  People cross roads that are busier every day.  If we're all too terminally stupid to look for a train before crossing they could probably build a gate across the track for a small fraction of the money a bridge would cost.

Offline Loretto

• Premium Member
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2010, 05:53:38 PM »
It's 4 tracks actually, and a road within what I would consider the operational area of an active salt mine.  I think the pedestrian bridge is justified.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »
Really?  A bridge to cross a railroad track?  People cross roads that are busier every day.  If we're all too terminally stupid to look for a train before crossing they could probably build a gate across the track for a small fraction of the money a bridge would cost.

I believe that there is also a tall chain link fence. It is impossible to access Wendy Park from this area. The pedestrian bridge would connect directly to the Lake Link trail--which will connect directly to the Tow Path.   

see  http://buildingcleveland.org/what-we-do/projects/urban-design/lake-link-trail/

Offline shs96

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »
I heard today the Tenk Machine building has a sale pending.  The buyer intends to rehab the entire building and use it for 1) storage for some equipment for an existing business, 2) a recording studio, and 3) a music venue, like a Peabody's (or potentially another Peabody's location...this was unclear to me).  Won't close on the building for 60 days and then they'll get started on working on the building...

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2010, 02:35:36 PM »
I hope this is true and it pans out. If I recall correctly, Doug Price had wanted this building as part of Stonebridge.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." Winston Churchill

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2010, 04:43:35 PM »
maybe it could be something like mr. smalls in PGH, which is a combination of music venue, recording studio, and outdoor skate park.  http://www.mrsmalls.com/   the major difference is that the mr. smalls bldg used to be a church.
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Remove Ads