Author Topic: Cleveland: Flats Developments (Non-Stonebridge or FEB)  (Read 242329 times)

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
Cleveland: Flats Developments (Non-Stonebridge or FEB)
« on: January 01, 2006, 12:18:17 PM »
Before Christmas, Bob Corna, the architect for stonebridge came to our holiday wine and cheese party to give us an update on w. bank development.  There will be space in the new tower for  a coffee and or wine bar to be enjoyed in the the glass atrium (of course this is up to finding a vendor-but the space will be there). Maybe even a grocery store. The building will have a  catwalk from the viaduct, so it can be accessed from up top (perhaps and hopefully by public too).   this will be a great stort cut to the power house/flats for stonebridge 4 residents. Also people down on the main ave level could come up and catch the great view on the viaduct, w/o a  walk up some somewhat isolated streets.. Also in the works is better street lighting and easier access to whiskey island by foot or bike (currently we have to ride out to edgewater and back, or ride down an isolated dirt rode and lift bike over train tracks and a fence).  It is ridiculous we can see the lake from Stonebridge but cannot easily access it. Also in recent Stonebridge IV news: the whole building is going condo, so there will be more units available. I believe the long range vision is to have lot more development (hopefully with some archetectural {sic}diversity that fits in nicely with rest of flats,ohio city and warehouse districts) . I am sure I am forgetting more...after many wines with great neighbors this happens!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:50:11 PM by :(leveland »

Online X

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Flats Developments (Non-Stonebridge or FEB)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 12:48:57 PM »
Great to hear.  I was waiting for someone to connect Wendy Park to the Flats.  He didn't say anything about the rumored Stonebridge VI-VIII, did he?

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 02:18:06 PM »
I cannot remember anything residential beyond stonebridge 5. maybe he (B. Corna) is planning on office, retail, etc. At one point there was Stonebridge interest along with CMHA for that hill where riverview is...although the slope is unstable so nothing new yet.  I guess I am talking about wendy park when I say whiskey island (I think it is on whiskey island?). the park is great but a pain to get too.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 02:20:48 PM »
Welcome Peabody99 and thanks for your post. I hope you keep posting!

I suspect Grasscat will combine this with the Stonebridge string, so look for updates there.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 02:37:23 PM »
I've been trying to find this, but I could have sworn I read that the "stonebridge" project could go up to 12 phases.  any info anyone.  I mean there are three parking lots near this, does anyone know who owns those?
my 2 ¢     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 02:53:13 PM »
I will try and ask around. bits and pieces are coming back..both from Corna's visit and prior conversations with construction workers in the building. I remember something about an industrial building near Spaces being razed...and more plans for some of the flats parking lots. Some of it may be to build covered or indoor parking as for better of worse, home buyers, even urban ones, want a parking space. ah for the day when we won't need one, just jump on the train or trolly-and I can't wait for the tow path completion. I at one time saw blue prints at stonebridge for small residentiall building near the swing bridge...but no one knows if that project is still on. I just hope the building have some variation in style-I like what we have but it is enough.

Offline zaceman

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • zaklong.tumblr.com
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 03:07:49 PM »
hmm was it the building behind spaces that was razed, i know they're building something new over there.  otherwise Spaces and the "twin" next to it are pretty much occupied/fixed-up, i been inside both

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 06:58:07 PM »
Welcome Peabody99 and thanks for your post. I hope you keep posting!

I suspect Grasscat will combine this with the Stonebridge string, so look for updates there.

I probably wouldn't have because I wasn't sure how it tied in, if it was related, etc.

I can move it over there if you'd like.  Just say the word.
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 10:25:54 AM »
Now if Wolstein could just get his act together..

Flats in Flux
Developer Tricarichi lands $3.3M in East Bank property, eyes restaurant placement

By STAN BULLARD

6:00 am, August 7, 2006

A blue Makita power saw carrying case sits on the leather seat in the back of Michael Tricarichi’s gold Lexus SUV. It’s a tip-off to the hands-on way he and his partners plan to revive Old River Road south of Main Avenue.

With the recent $1.2 million acquisition of the empty Frank Morrison & Son building, 1330 Old River, and the building that’s home to BW3 at 1313 Old River, Mr. Tricarichi’s Telecom Acquisition Corp. now owns five commercial buildings in the Flats. All five buildings are just outside developer Scott Wolstein’s proposed $230 million Flats East Bank condo and retail development on the north side of Main.

The recent purchases are in addition to $2.1 million Telecom already has invested south of Main. Those buys include the building that housed the old River’s Edge, 1198 Old River; an unnamed one-story building at 1204 Old River; and the three-story Beacon Hausheer Marine Co. building, 1220 Old River.

Although there are tenants in two of the five properties — BW3 at 1313 Old River and Lucic nightclub at 1204 Old River — Mr. Tricarichi has a grass-roots plan to resurrect the three empty storefronts Telecom Acquisition controls. With two partners who know the food business, Mr. Tricarichi plans to form joint ventures to install their own concepts instead of leasing the spaces to operators.

One of Mr. Tricarichi’s partners in the real estate and in the soon-to-be-developed eateries is David Rudiger, a partner in the Blind Pig bar and pizza shop in the Warehouse District and three other bar-restaurants in Tremont and Westlake. The other is Rocco Whalen, who is partners with Mr. Rudiger in the Farenheit restaurant in Tremont.

“They’ll handle the food side, and I’ll handle the real estate,” Mr. Tricarichi said, noting the strategy allows the group to exert more control over operations than if the space were leased to outside tenants. Should a venture fail, fixtures could remain for the next concept the partners develop, a far-sighted approach to the Flats, which tends to churn restaurants and nightspots.

Concepts for the new restaurants are in the early stages.

“I don’t want a lot of boxes and Applebee’s,” Mr. Rudiger said. “I want home-grown Cleveland flair.”

The emphasis is on food, not drinks. “Leave the club scene up on the hill,” Mr. Rudiger said, in the neighboring Warehouse District.

Mr. Tricarichi added, “Our demographic is 30- to 50-year-old people.”

Prep work begins

First up is a concept the partners wouldn’t detail at the former Calabria’s restaurant space in the Morrison building. However, the partners also are working on the onetime River’s Edge bar and deli at 1198 Old River near the Main Avenue bridge. A new roof already is on the structure, and a new air conditioning system is on its way, Mr. Tricarichi said.

He also has ordered an elevator for the three-story Beacon Hausheer building, 1220 Old River, and is replacing an inoperable one at the Morrison building. Mr. Tricarichi said he’s interviewing architects to prepare drawings of the old buildings that are needed for future work. He plans to use the top floor in the Frank Morrison & Son Building as offices for his newly formed East Bank South LLC development company for his and Mr. Rudiger’s holdings. At this point, he plans to offer empty upper floors in the buildings as office space.

“We don’t want to tear anything down but work with what’s there,” Mr. Tricarichi said.

A closer look at the East Bank of the Flats.
Photo credit: KRISTEN WILSON 

Appetite for more

Mr. Tricarichi said he’s discussed joint operations or development efforts with Michael Samsel, president of Samsel Supply Co., the other major property owner on that section of Old River with six buildings. Mr. Samsel’s properties are the most viable on the strip, housing his construction and maritime supply firm in a building on the east side of Old River. Across the street, Samsel Realty has office tenants, Arhaus and the empty onetime-landmark Watermark restaurant space in two charming Victorian-era buildings at 1250 and 1269 Old River.

Mr. Samsel said “nothing’s etched in stone” as far as joint efforts go. However, Mr. Samsel said he’s pleased with his new neighbor.

“They’re working hard over there,” he said.

The two groups between them control one of the most intact parts of the Flats shipping heritage, so much so that the low-rise commercial buildings from 1220 to 1330 Old River were added in February to the National Register of Historic Places as “The Old River Road Historic District.”

Mr. Tricarichi wants to buy more property on Old River south of Main, but parcels aren’t available. The largest unused property left is the former Odeon Concert Club, 1295 Old River, which closed March 1.

Michael Belkin, Chagrin Falls-based Ohio Valley president of Live Nation of Miami, which owns the Odeon building, said “We’re just sitting on it.”

'A discount buy'

Some Flats insiders privately wonder if Mr. Tricarichi’s game is speculating to profit from reselling the properties later. Mr. Tricarichi insists that’s not the case, and he has taken more care than simply buying the buildings. He said he has talked to Councilman Joe Cimperman, whose Ward 13 includes the Flats, and Mayor Frank Jackson’s staff, although he doesn’t plan to ask for low-interest loans or other city aid.

Mr. Cimperman finds Mr. Tricarichi’s investments encouraging.

“He understands the importance of doing something,” he said.

Mr. Tricarichi’s built and sold two cellular phone concerns in Cleveland, but has dabbled in Las Vegas and West Coast condos since buying a house in 2003 in Las Vegas while retaining a home in Chesterland. That perspective shapes his view of the Flats beyond a 52-year-old’s memories of better times there.

“I see this as a discount buy,” Mr. Tricarichi said. “Where else in America can you buy waterfront land for less than $100 a square foot?”

Mr. Tricarichi also has a novel rationale for selling his first Flats acquisition, the former Jimmy’s bar at 1061 Old River, for the Wolstein project.

“Unlike most of the other people down there,” he said of Old River north of Main, “I plan to be here after the smoke clears. Wolstein’s project will benefit me.”

« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:58:36 PM by McCleveland »

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 10:57:47 AM »
“We don’t want to tear anything down but work with what’s there,” Mr. Tricarichi said.

:clap:

Great news all around. I'm glad to hear they're already starting work, too. I'm starting to feel "planned" out!

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 12:28:50 PM »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 12:51:19 PM »
^why would you tear anything down?  Its 95% intact with some awesome buildings.   

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 12:53:48 PM »
I'm not sure I understand surfohio's post.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 01:00:16 PM »
Great news!  This one's been flying under the radar to this point, but it's the type of stuff that we need to see spinning off throughout Downtown and the rest of the city.

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 02:34:45 PM »
I like that Settlers Lading will finally be getting the high end stuff around it that it deserves.  It is a beautiful landscape there on the river. 

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 02:39:51 PM »
I really wish that they could continue the walkway that hugs the river at Settlers.  Building a boardwalk that starts at settlers, continues past the Arhaus/Watermark block and into the Wolstein development would create a great space that would keep people in the Flats after a dinner or would provide a great stroll for those living in the warehouses on W.9th.

Offline jamiec

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 06:32:12 PM »
This sounds more MY speed. It's sort of pathetic that I'm 20 years under the demo, though. lol. Says something about me I guess.

I also like that they are getting this done without making a big fuss. As my journalism teachers used to say, show don't tell!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 06:34:29 PM by jamiec »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 08:35:52 AM »
264 more condos slated for Flats
Willoughby Hills developer hopes to break ground on first of four high rises in spring 

Flats Oxbow Association

By JAY MILLER

4:30 am, July 16, 2007

A development group led by Russell Berzin of Franklyn Development Co. is planning to replace a parking lot with a $50 million, 264-unit riverfront condominium complex in the Flats along Columbus Road south of the Carter Road bridge.

Mr. Berzin said the four high-rise buildings in the as-yet-unnamed complex will offer one-, two- and three-bedroom units in prices tentatively set in a range comparable to those at the nearby Stonebridge development. Condominium units in Stonebridge Plaza, a just-completed condominium building, run from $153,000 to $529,000.

Cleveland City Council last week approved a rezoning of the property from general industry to downtown residential. Mr. Berzin said final engineering drawings will be completed shortly, and he hopes to break ground on the first building next spring.

The complex, designed by Paul Volpe of City Architecture Inc., would bring new housing construction to a section of the Flats that is predominantly parking lots and old railroad depots. Mr. Berzin said the plan is to start with a nine-story building with 55 units on seven floors over two levels of parking. The second building would be identical, while the third building would have a total of 13 floors and the fourth would have 12 floors.

He said all the suites will have views of the Cuyahoga River.

“The concept was that as we get up in the air, we’ll also have a view across to the lake in some instances,” Mr. Berzin said.

Like any new housing in Cleveland, these units will be eligible for 100% tax abatement for 15 years.

Mr. Berzin said he and his partners paid nearly $2 million for the three-acre site in 1999. It had been owned by Sherwin-Williams Co. Since 2001, after buildings were demolished and the land cleared, the property has been a parking lot.

Mr. Berzin’s partners include Joel Cole, president of Network Parking, and real estate investors Hal LaPine and Michael Miller. Mr. Berzin’s Franklyn Development, a family business in Willoughby Hills that he took over from his late father, has developed single-family home communities in eastern Cuyahoga County, Lake County and Florida.

Tom Newman, executive director of Flats Oxbow Association, the neighborhood development group, has not yet seen plans for the project so he was reluctant to evaluate it.

“I think it’s appropriate for the site,” Mr. Newman said after hearing the project discussed at the City Council hearing. “City Architecture has a pretty good track record, and I’m sure it will be wonderful.”

Mr. Berzin’s project joins the Wolstein Group’s Flats East Bank development and K&D Group’s expansion of the Stonebridge complex as major residential construction efforts planned for the Flats.

K&D last year announced it plans to add 1,200 units to Stonebridge in the next five years, including 130 townhouses in the near term. The developer is just completing the 108-condominium Stonebridge Plaza, bringing to 600 the number of units it has built in the Flats since 1999.

Wolstein Group’s Flats East Bank development is projected to include 300 housing units.

With developers planning so many new housing units in the neighborhood, the Flats is bucking the generally sluggish housing market.

“There’s probably a stronger market for new construction there than in most of the region,” said Keith Brown, president of Progressive Urban Real Estate, which is marketing the Stonebridge complex.

Mr. Brown said the Flats attracts residents from across a broad range of demographic groups. “It’s across the board, it’s extremely diverse,” he said. “Professional would be the commonality there.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:47:02 AM by McCleveland »

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 08:39:14 AM »
^This would be on Scranton Peninsula I think. 

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 08:41:58 AM »
^^its getting to the point where we need a general Flats thread. There are now four major developments in the Flats (Wolstein, Stonebridge, lower Old River Road, and now this).

This project would be located on the land along the river that is just to the south of the RTA bridge. Its one giant surface lot right now. The city had wanted to use this land for the Canal Basin Park, but is now looking to work with the developer so that the land along the river is still accessible to the public (and the towpath).

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 08:43:09 AM »
^This would be on Scranton Peninsula I think. 

Nope. If I have some time, I could try and post a map.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 08:47:59 AM »
i cant picture this  can someone - calling MayDay - whip up map pretty please with a cherry on top ?

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 08:49:25 AM »
Must I do EVERYthing? ;-)

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 08:52:37 AM »
OK.  SO this would be right across from the Collision Bend bar and just down from the Flatiron, correct?

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:11 AM »
Must I do EVERYthing? ;-)

Yes dear.  gracias

Online w28th

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 08:59:10 AM »
Great news.
...City Architecture............
"When you stand at the corner of Euclid Avenue and East Ninth Street in Cleveland, you stand at one of the busiest corners in the world -- and in the heart of a shopping district known far and wide for its many fine shops."

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 09:01:39 AM »
Great news.
...City Architecture............

I'm beginning to think that I wouldn't be surprised to one day hear that a young architect has walked into City Architecture's lobby with a bomb...   ;)

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »
Actually, you can see the site here as well - the parking lot in the center foreground:

Offline Firenze98

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 09:14:15 AM »
Are they the only firm in town that is qualified to design urban housing?  Sheesh.  Every announcement of a new housing development project states that the project is being designed by C.A.
"All architecture is shelter, all great architecture is the design of space that contains, cuddles, exhalts or stimulates the persons in that space."
Philip Johnson

“Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!”  
Leonardo da Vinci

AIA, LEED BD+C, EDAC

Offline zaceman

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • zaklong.tumblr.com
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 09:48:48 AM »
thats such a strangely shaped parcel... i wonder how that will be configured.  Also isnt this near the proposed strip district in the flats?

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 09:51:30 AM »
This is the site I pictured as well, but is this south of the Carter Road Bridge?  Certainly, the article could've been wrong.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »
It's southwest of the Carter Road bridge. And yes, the Strip District is west, to the left of the Rapid bridge (along Fall Street):

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 10:00:33 AM »
Wow, the strip district sure is attracting a lot of residential development! Maybe Larry Flynt will sell the air-rights above his new club for some additional residential towers.  ;)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 10:01:59 AM »
Dammit! Crain's scooped me on the condo project proposed at Columbus Road and Center Street!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:54:55 PM by KJP »
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »
Ugh, I remember when the funky old B&O [?] freight depot was demoed to create that lovely parking lot, about 10 years ago I think.

I know nothing is left to be demoed for this project, but anyone else get a little worries about the flats?  My nightmare is that averything cool and old (which frankly is what makes the flats cool IMHO- it ain't just the brown river) is going to get knocked down.  The west side of Columbus, for instance, is a great stretch of very old industrial/commercial blocks.  Not too many of those left these days...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:05:25 AM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Remove Ads