Author Topic: Cleveland: Restaurant News & Info  (Read 1042184 times)

Online mrclifton88

• Premium Member
Re: Cleveland: Restaurant News & Info
« Reply #6965 on: July 31, 2017, 10:30:44 AM »
I dont know the accuracy of this, but I heard over the weekend that the Mall owners raised the rents tremendously, almost triple (according to this person) and that led to Maggianos leaving.

Offline TBideon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #6966 on: July 31, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
It wouldn't be the first time General Growth has screwed over its tenants.

http://www.cleveland.com/beachwood/index.ssf/2014/03/school_officials_say_beachwood.html

School officials say Beachwood Place owner should have told merchants about tax hike
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:15:36 AM by TBideon »

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #6967 on: July 31, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
I read the article above. Why should tenants pay for property tax? Or does merchant own (condo-style) his/her unit?  Otherwise, property tax is something paid by owners---who build this into the rent. And rent levels are fixed by a lease agreement.

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #6968 on: July 31, 2017, 03:17:25 PM »
^^There are a few Penn Station's in the Cleveland region, but there are exactly zero within the city.  This will be the first.  And next time you go get the cheesesteak and add the banana peppers.  You won't be disappointed.

funny article. unless you have to commute through the actual Penn Station :-P. Maybe this should have gone on the Cincinnati restaurants thread since that's where it originated?

Penn Station as a Dining Destination? Yes, Really
By PATRICK McGEEHAN 
JULY 28, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/nyregion/penn-station-east-coast-subs.html

For many weary commuters who soldier through New York City’s busiest transit hub on a daily basis, eating at Pennsylvania Station is a last resort, reserved only for the most inescapable of delays. These days, Penn Station is prone to leaving most travelers feeling dyspeptic.

So those all-too-familiar with the grim rail terminal might be perplexed to learn that less than 600 miles west of Manhattan, the mere mention of Penn Station causes some people’s stomachs to rumble, their taste buds to tingle.

“I think Penn Station’s great,” Mark Rouse said.

“It’s awesome. It’s fantastic,” said Tim Craft of the food at Penn Station.

Of course, these men were not speaking of the Penn Station that has been the object of so much disaffection this summer, as Amtrak’s emergency track repairs have forced service cutbacks and train reroutings have upended many lives. Instead, they were among the many satisfied customers of a chain of sandwich shops in the Midwest and South that curiously, if not inexplicably, chose to brand itself Penn Station East Coast Subs.

Offline smith

• formerly CorySnyder
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
    • Kevin Smith Photography
« Reply #6969 on: July 31, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »
I read the article above. Why should tenants pay for property tax? Or does merchant own (condo-style) his/her unit?  Otherwise, property tax is something paid by owners---who build this into the rent. And rent levels are fixed by a lease agreement.

The norm in retail leases is that tenants pay prorata share of property insurance, real estate taxes, and common area maintenance. 

Offline osu87

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #6970 on: August 02, 2017, 01:24:01 PM »
Something fishy about Maggiano's closing, was there, not slow by any means, I literally saw 5 employees returning with huge black heat bags and I mean huge. Just doesn't jive not to mention this store was their top one a couple years ago as previously mentioned.

Online Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #6971 on: August 02, 2017, 01:44:31 PM »
^From what I am reading nothing seems fishy.  Their lease is coming up for renewal and apparently their cams will explode to such an extent that it does not make economic sense to renew even if sales are good.  Your rent, including cams, should only be about 8-12 percent of sales in order for a restaurant to  be viable.

Offline osu87

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #6972 on: August 02, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
 Well that's kind of my point it is fishy so then this leads me to believe with the huge space they have which they have had for 12 years that the rumor is true that General growth properties has increased their rent and that is foolish on General growth properties part then if true

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #6973 on: August 02, 2017, 09:29:44 PM »
Quote from: Htsguy
^From what I am reading nothing seems fishy.  Their lease is coming up for renewal and apparently their cams will explode to such an extent that it does not make economic sense to renew even if sales are good.  Your rent, including cams, should only be about 8-12 percent of sales in order for a restaurant to  be viable.

What are cams?

Online Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #6974 on: August 03, 2017, 08:06:29 AM »
^common area maintenance.  They can actually fluctuate during the term of the lease.

Online Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #6975 on: August 03, 2017, 08:22:05 AM »
Well that's kind of my point it is fishy so then this leads me to believe with the huge space they have which they have had for 12 years that the rumor is true that General growth properties has increased their rent and that is foolish on General growth properties part then if true

While pure speculation on my part, maybe General Growth did not increase their base rent at all or very little.  The huge increase could be the monthly cam rate (due to the huge property tax increase resulting from the resolution of the long assessment battle with the school board).  Very few landlords (if any) are going to or can afford to absorb increased cams.  And of course it you do it for one (say because you feel it is important to have a restaurant on as a tenant to help lure traffic for the other stores), then all the other tenants are going want the same deal.  17,000 square feet is a lot of space and if your cams go up even a small amount it is going to hurt your bottom line no matte what you sales are.  You can only increase prices so much.  Time to find a cheaper space or just give up the market if not worth it. 

I feel sorry for the few local "mom and pop" stores in Beachwood Place who are even less able to absorb increase cams due to the property tax increase (unlike national chains that can spread the cost over their entire operations).  Local stores (the few that are there) may be a thing of the past at Beachwood Place, especially with so many other options nearby.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:37:16 AM by Htsguy »

Offline eyehrtfood

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #6976 on: September 06, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »
Bomba, the taco/rum restaurant from the owners of Paladar, will be opening in the former Sushi Rock space at La Place in Beachwood.  Cedar Creek Grille is still planned to build a tavern BB&L (or something like that) in the front of La Place, adjacent to Cedar Creek. This from the Beachwood planning meeting last week.

Maggiano's in Beachwood - continues to place want ads for several positions (hosts, etc...) - including a few ads recent days -  despite a stated closing in 3 weeks (no mention of this in the ads..).. Odd to hire vs overtime or temps.. They may be closing - or moving at some point - but sure seems point to some other arrangement after end of Sept. We'll see.

3 Palms Pizzeria (from the Flip side folks) and Nada (from Cincinnati) also appear to be opening at Pinecrest. Plus, a strong rumor that a Nespresso coffee bar/store will open there, too.

Cooper's Hawk Winery/Restaurant - opening south of/across Harvard from Pinecrest in new Orange South section of Chagrin Highlands.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:27:20 PM by eyehrtfood »

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #6977 on: September 06, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »
I'm not sure that the place ever gained any traction but Old City Libations announced they are closing.

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #6978 on: September 07, 2017, 09:08:20 AM »
Bomba, the taco/rum restaurant from the owners of Paladar, will be opening in the former Sushi Rock space at La Place in Beachwood.  Cedar Creek Grille is still planned to build a tavern BB&L (or something like that) in the front of La Place, adjacent to Cedar Creek. This from the Beachwood planning meeting last week.

Maggiano's in Beachwood - continues to place want ads for several positions (hosts, etc...) - including a few ads recent days -  despite a stated closing in 3 weeks (no mention of this in the ads..).. Odd to hire vs overtime or temps.. They may be closing - or moving at some point - but sure seems point to some other arrangement after end of Sept. We'll see.

3 Palms Pizzeria (from the Flip side folks) and Nada (from Cincinnati) also appear to be opening at Pinecrest. Plus, a strong rumor that a Nespresso coffee bar/store will open there, too.

Cooper's Hawk Winery/Restaurant - opening south of/across Harvard from Pinecrest in new Orange South section of Chagrin Highlands.

eyehrtfood.  I recall it mentioned a year maybe 2 that Bomba was supposed to open there (although initially reported by a "Paladar exec" that Bomba would open in the current Paladar space with Paladar moving to Pinecrest), but is there still room for a tavern there? 

Happy about 3 Palms as I thought it was a cool concept in Hudson, just wish Shaker could have snagged it. 

Interesting and odd about Maggiano's     
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #6979 on: September 07, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
^shaker could've snagged it=sawyer could've snagged it. He decided to snag a James Beard place out Miami instead for pizza. I'm ok with no 3 palms

Offline sabotage619

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #6980 on: September 07, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
Citizen Pie pizza bistro to open in Ohio City
 Cleveland.com,  Staff
September 07, 2017
http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/09/first_look_citizen_pie_pizza_b.html#incart_m-rpt-2

If you haven't made it to Citizen Pie in Collinwood yet, maybe a new location on W.25th in Ohio City opening Tuesday will be more convenient.  I'm a pizza lover and I've tried some of the so-called best pizza in the country from Chicago to New Haven to New York, but I honestly think Citizen Pie is as good as any. Even the legendary DiFara's or Lucali's in Brooklyn. Of course there are different styles, but if you like a Neopolitan, this is hard to beat. Anywhere.

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #6981 on: September 07, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
^shaker could've snagged it=sawyer could've snagged it. He decided to snag a James Beard place out Miami instead for pizza. I'm ok with no 3 palms

Yeah but do they also have baked goods :wink:
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #6982 on: September 07, 2017, 10:28:06 AM »
^so does Luna!

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #6983 on: September 07, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »

eyehrtfood.  I recall it mentioned a year maybe 2 that Bomba was supposed to open there (although initially reported by a "Paladar exec" that Bomba would open in the current Paladar space with Paladar moving to Pinecrest), but is there still room for a tavern there? 

Happy about 3 Palms as I thought it was a cool concept in Hudson, just wish Shaker could have snagged it. 

Interesting and odd about Maggiano's     

There was a rumor of Paladar moving to Pinecrest a year or teo back as noted but think only a rumor. Nada "Modern Mexican" appears to be long on the Pinecrest leasing map - and similar enough to Paladar - and that may have caused the confusion about Paladar moving.

The Cedar Creek run Tavern at La Place apparently will go into the space next to Cedar Creek/patio that was the former Omaha Steaks and some adjoining spaces. Addition of 300+ square feet on Cedar side as part of this. Bombs also building an addition on side of 1200 sf?)

The Hello Bistro quick service concept from Eat'n Park will likely go between Bomba and massage place fronting Cedar.

Several other restaurants to be announced at La Place the GGP architect said during planning meeting last week..i think likely taking Williams-Sonoma space and maybe Pottery Barn Kids (if it moves to Pinecrest with the already announced Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma). Maggiano's? Beachwood Place itself has never been successful with full service restaurants and La Place gives great visibility(Nordstrom cafe aside... But it's a different, lunch and early dinner focused idea...)

Offline osu87

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #6984 on: September 13, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
Any word if one of these restaurants will be the Seasons 52

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #6985 on: September 13, 2017, 12:21:09 PM »
No clue on Seasons 52. Haven't heard their name tied to mall for a few years - though sister restaurant Capital Grille, originally named for mall lot along with Seasons, appears to be doing quite well... so... Mall architect said several more restaurants to be announced soon at La Place drawn (his words) by Container Store presence coming vacancies.

Note: There is a "new" restaurant right now at that Cedar/Brainard corner to be noted (Legacy) - in that Brio has changed concepts  (one of 4 testing this, nationally) from "Brio Tuscan Grille" to "Brio Coastal Bar and Kitchen." Remodeled interior and exterior and new menu.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #6986 on: September 22, 2017, 12:38:06 PM »
 Cleveland.com,  Staff
September 07, 2017
http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/09/first_look_citizen_pie_pizza_b.html#incart_m-rpt-2

If you haven't made it to Citizen Pie in Collinwood yet, maybe a new location on W.25th in Ohio City opening Tuesday will be more convenient.  I'm a pizza lover and I've tried some of the so-called best pizza in the country from Chicago to New Haven to New York, but I honestly think Citizen Pie is as good as any. Even the legendary DiFara's or Lucali's in Brooklyn. Of course there are different styles, but if you like a Neopolitan, this is hard to beat. Anywhere.

lithuanian naples style pizza? nice -- maybe he can make a kugelis pie? -- anyway, looks good -- only in cleveland folks!
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #6987 on: September 22, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
 Cleveland.com,  Staff
September 07, 2017

lithuanian naples style pizza? nice -- maybe he can make a kugelis pie? -- anyway, looks good -- only in cleveland folks!

Its very good, not sure about all the descriptions but ingredients wise i would say a top 3 neopolitan pizza in all of the city

Remove Ads