Author Topic: Cleveland: Little Italy: Development and News  (Read 181695 times)

Offline X

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Little Italy Developments
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
I am impressed with the Coltman Rd. Townhouses.  I wish they had a little more transparency on the first floor.  I think it would make sense, too, if those are going to be workspaces along the street level.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2008, 08:38:40 PM »
I am impressed with the Coltman Rd. Townhouses.  I wish they had a little more transparency on the first floor.  I think it would make sense, too, if those are going to be workspaces along the street level.

I agree. I like them, but they seem to be lacking something on the first floor. Too much brick.  I think that they could benefit a bit more from some height. UC has a decent little skyline at night.

Offline Scav

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2008, 11:33:49 PM »
they are as high as you want townhomes.. 4 floors is definitely high enough. If they want to go any higher your gonna have to start building apartments.

lets talk first floor brick. I think its VERY well done. Think about it this way, if you have one room for your office, would you want people watching you 100% of the time? its a personal question as people are diverse enough im sure some said yes and no. so because not everyone really wants to be completely enclosed either, there was a great compromise in keeping what looks like a foot and a half tall glass pane stretched across the top of the space. this adds natural lighting and keeps the space both connected and disconnected. dont forget about the port window! i think it was well done in this regard. also, take a closer look and notice that only every other house has that brick first floor feature. half of them are a full glass window with some natural plants in front to screen the owner. I can see how you would find the use of brick confusing, however as the rendering is done, it looks to connect very well to the ground floor pathways and sidewalk. causing a nice flow of materials from bottom up moving from brick (work space) to window/wood (living space) to a rooftop deck (leisure space).

At least that is how I stand. Wether or not the designer was intentional with his use of materials, we never know, however my gut points to yes. (and yeah, my gut can point! haha  :lol:)

also notice the horizontal (and sometimes vertical) wood screening on the stairwell. That is a nice touch because it adds a sweet sweet level of privacy/shade and also reinstates the whole materials progression idea from bottom to top.

and thats about the best i can do as an 18 year old with 6 months of architecture at the university of cincinnati. was my time worth it?  :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
Cleveland is "a communal act of defiance against a nation's celebrity culture." Wright Thompson

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2008, 09:16:13 AM »
ryanscav:  i enjoyed your analysis from the architectural perspective.

I really like the look and apparent functionality of this design, esp the fourth floor covered decks.  Looking at the architects website http://dimitarchitects.com , I see the principal, Scott Dimit, led the design of the Brownstones at Derbyshire (clv hts), which, IMHO, is the best example of creative re-use (old church) combined with new con, that I've seen in Clev+inner ring.  I really like the Derybshire project all around, including use of greenspace and addition of smaller (1 bed) units.  I think it'd be great if more condo projects in Clev included in-law suites on the lower level (like EcoVillage townhomes) as a means of providing rental options in the neighborhood.  Also, with all the churches closing in NEO, would be great to see a few converted to housing with Derbyshire as the benchmark!
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »
the mayfield lofts building is ok, they didn't really try too hard on the design end, but its a good fit.

otoh wow the coltman development is striking. check out those rooftops. very cool. nice take ryanscav thx.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »
Little Italy condos deserve zoning approval
Posted by Steven Litt/Plain Dealer Architecture Critic
April 25, 2008 12:31PM

One would think that the modest condominium tower proposed for a long-vacant lot on Mayfield Road in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood would be cause for rejoicing.

But that's not how it has been received in the community. Critics continue to raise objections, even though the project would bring fresh life to a dark and scary-looking corner of the neighborhood...

more at: http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2008/04/little_italy_condo_project_sho.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:27:29 AM by McCleveland »

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 07:41:57 PM »
wah wah, "it would be taller than the church"? So flippin' what. I understand that Holy Rosary is a huge part of the community, but to be against a building because it would be taller than a church is absurd. Grow up Little Italy, change is coming, and its been happening for years (as reflected in your last census where less than 20% claim Italian ancestry).

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 08:01:28 PM »
I agree. It's ridiculous to stop this project over that.

Offline buckeye1

• Premium Member
  • UO Certified "Thread Cleaner"
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »
From uhhospitals.org:

Resident Salary 2007 - 2008:

Residents are paid according to their level of training as follows:
Post-Graduate Year -1 $41,850.00
PGY-2 $43,851.00
PGY-3 $45,232.00
PGY-4 $46,770.00

The building will contain 17 condos with two- or three-bedroom units, selling for $250,000 to $400,000.

He said he expects that the apartments will be snatched up quickly by interns and residents at nearby University Hospitals and the Cleveland Clinic.

Not fricking likely, given those resident salaries.  Isn't one of the more important rules of development to "know your target market"?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 09:32:46 PM by buckeye1 »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2008, 10:45:14 PM »
With tax abatement and reduced rate financing, a resident with a partner who makes a comparable salary would be able to afford the $250,000 range.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:46:37 PM by 3231 »

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2008, 12:25:49 AM »
The key line in this article:

Perotti said the zoning code would make sense in a suburb, but not on a busy city street where virtually all other buildings -- filled with apartments and offices set over restaurants, cafes and galleries -- come right up to the sidewalk.

Cleveland's zoning code is ridiculous given its existing built form, and what qualities make for desirable urban development.  Come on, form based zoning!

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2008, 12:14:44 AM »
Was driving down Edgehill the other day and noticed "something going on" just west of the townhomes that line the cliff (that were built about 10 years ago).  The work was being done closer to the older houses near the curve just before the intersection of Murray Hill and Cornell.  Curious if this is just some utility work or the construction of a house or houses.  I just got a fleeting glance but it looked like they were bracing the cliff for more homes (but I could be wrong).  Anybody have any information?

Offline JeffreyT

• 468'-Scripps Center
    • The Haps
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2008, 12:23:55 PM »
From what I know, it's a singly home being built - by Lillian Kuri, I'm fairly certain.  Unless someone can correct me?

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2008, 07:57:04 PM »
Approved!

Little Italy condos win approval
Posted by Steven Litt/Plain Dealer Architecture Critic
April 29, 2008 14:38PM

The controversial condominium tower proposed by developers Tim and Edward Perotti for Mayfield Road at East 119th Street in Little Italy won approval Monday at the Cleveland Board of Zoning Appeals.

"There was a lot of drama," Tim Perotti said. "It wasn't until the end (of the meeting) that we felt like we were going to win the day."

The board voted to accept the six-story, $6 million project as it was, without requesting design changes, even though some residents in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood felt the building would be too high and too bulky for its site...

more at: http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2008/04/little_italy_condos_win_approv.html

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:29:01 AM by McCleveland »
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »
Cool. I hope his final design is better than his first one. Gotta have that street-level retail, coffee shop, etc. considering its location next to where the RTA station will be located.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2008, 12:31:52 PM »
Check out the proposed new Coltman Road Townhouses, 1850 Coltman Road, on the Cleveland Landmarks Commission agenda....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/photo/050808/index.php

Question is, how many parking spaces do these townhouses need? Two parking spaces are in each townhouse's garage, with two more head-in parking spaces on the street. Why the head-in spaces?? Teach the kids how to parallel park -- or walk -- for crying out loud.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:35:18 PM by KJP »
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2008, 01:17:36 PM »
^If you zoom in on the really small/gray writing on the site plan, I think it says that the "head-in" parking spaces are "privately controlled parking".  I suppose that explains it?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:19:06 PM by FrqntFlyr »

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2008, 07:44:09 AM »
Bringing in the dough
Credit crunch does not stymie Little Italy developer’s plans
By STAN BULLARD
4:30 am, December 8, 2008
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20081208/SUB1/812059933/1072&Profile=1072#

http://27coltman.com/

With most plans for real estate development stored in the deep freeze until credit markets thaw, a proposed $10 million townhouse project is cooking in Cleveland’s Little Italy, near University Circle.

Taking its name from the planned number of townhouses and its Coltman Road location, the 27 Coltman project has snared something that eludes many developers today: construction financing. Cuyahoga County records show the project proposed by Little Italy Preservation Partners LLC recently received a $5 million loan from KeyBank.

Ask Andrew Brickman how he and his two partners secured a construction loan at a time when lenders are super wary, and he credits the win to the project’s “location, quality of product and vision.”

Partner Justin Campbell describes the location as the “cultural epicenter of Cleveland.” It is in the dynamic Little Italy neighborhood, within 900 steps of the landmark Presti’s Bakery on Mayfield Road and just east of the city’s concentration of cultural, educational and health care institutions at University Circle.

Moreover, the project borders the University Circle rapid transit station, which the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority plans to replace as part of a $4 million project designed to garner transit-oriented development nearby. The new HealthLine bus-rapid line connecting the Circle and downtown Cleveland also is next to the site’s triangular point at Coltman, East 119th Street and Euclid Avenue.

The project consists of two- to four-bedroom townhouses ranging from 1,700 to 3,400 square feet and costing between $299,000 and $499,000 each. Designed by Lakewood architect Scott Dimit, 27 Coltman will have a contemporary look with eco-friendly bamboo floors, granite countertops, large windows and wide open rooms.

Mr. Brickman, Mr. Campbell and their partner, contractor Nathan Barrett, are doing 27 Coltman as an encore to their last joint venture, the Brownstones of Derbyshire in Cleveland Heights. That 30-unit project, launched in 2006, is sold out, with its most expensive unit snagging a price of $750,000.

Townhouse and condominium projects may be the dreariest category in Northeast Ohio’s beleaguered residential real estate sales reports, but Mr. Brickman said his trio has another thing in its favor: economic incentives.

Buyers who work for University Circle institutions are eligible for a buyer incentive program that provides a grant for as much as $15,000, which can serve as a down payment. Buyers also are eligible for KeyBank’s urban assistance mortgage program that slices one-and-a-half percentage points from typical 30-year mortgage rates. There also is Cleveland’s most potent incentive: 15 years of residential property tax abatement.

Even so, the office-broker-turned-residential-developer is aware of the risks in today’s bleak climate.

“I’m glad we only have to sell 27,” Mr. Brickman said. The developers plan to start work on the site by month’s end.

In today’s lending environment, “securing financing for a condominium project is something to be very proud of,” said Mark Jablonski, a principal of Great Lakes Resources of Cleveland. Mr. Jablonski draws on a background as a bank lending analyst and Ernst & Young real estate consultant to do studies for city neighborhood groups and to develop urban shopping centers for his own portfolio.

Bringing it home
Keith Brown, founder of the Progressive Urban Real Estate brokerage of Cleveland, which has a focus in urban homes, sees 27 Coltman’s allure.

“If it’s going to work anywhere, it’s going to work there,” Mr. Brown said. “You’ve got all the job growth at University Circle that brings people into Cleveland who can buy without having to sell their home here first. You can walk to Little Italy restaurants and drive to nearby grocery stores.” Moreover, due to its urban location, the project has less recently constructed townhouse competition than in outlying suburbs, Mr. Brown said.

The developers also have devised a novel way to overcome a marketing challenge for the project — namely, that the site is visible from Euclid but far enough from Mayfield to miss the busy weekend dining trade. They’ve just completed a model center in a Mayfield storefront. With a new bamboo-wood storefront on the outside and bamboo floors and trendy furniture on the inside, the center lacks the stacks of carpet and tile or faucets typical in builder sales centers.

“We wanted to do something different from the traditional sales center,” said Mr. Brickman, who already lives in Little Italy. The tony sales center with a plasma screen PowerPoint displaying the project’s selling points reflects the work of Mr. Campbell, who owns Brandtechnique in Solon, a consultancy in branding for the upscale market.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:46:02 AM by jpop »

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2008, 12:59:03 PM »
The web site and design of these condos is stunning, in my opinion.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2008, 01:14:54 PM »
they are ok.  but master bathrooms with one sink and no tub are not a good design in my mind.
my 2 ¢     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2008, 02:02:46 PM »
The web site and design of these condos is stunning, in my opinion.

It's definitely one of the better developer web sites.   I like the design overall, but I am not a fan of the mostly blank ground floor front facade....what's up with that?  Is it a privacy thing to have only those little windows up high?  Can't they just put up curtains or blinds like the rest of us?
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline shakeratl

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2008, 02:08:30 PM »
Whats the distance in separation from these units and circle 118.  This is exciting stuff

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2008, 02:13:54 PM »
^Not much distance at all- Circle 118 is just on the other side of the RTA/freight tracks and Euclid, immediately to the NW of this project.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2008, 02:15:41 PM »
Circle 118, along with this project and the redesigned RTA station will make this a really cool little area!

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »
I am not a fan of the mostly blank ground floor front facade....what's up with that?  Is it a privacy thing to have only those little windows up high?  Can't they just put up curtains or blinds like the rest of us?

That's a common feature of a lot of recent construction.  I think it's to create a sense of privacy and security.  Seems geared more toward local suburbanites than those looking for a traditional rowhouse.  I also hate the little landscape buffer around everything... but there's a lot to like about this project and I'm optimistic.     
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
I am not a fan of the mostly blank ground floor front facade....what's up with that?  Is it a privacy thing to have only those little windows up high?  Can't they just put up curtains or blinds like the rest of us?

That's a common feature of a lot of recent construction.  I think it's to create a sense of privacy and security.  Seems geared more toward local suburbanites than those looking for a traditional rowhouse.  I also hate the little landscape buffer around everything... but there's a lot to like about this project and I'm optimistic.     

Its like that in many new construction townhouses in various cities.  NOT just Cleveland.   :roll: :roll:
my 2 ¢     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline SergeViteli

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2008, 03:02:19 PM »
The issue with the townhouses is that the first floor is predominantly taken up by garage and mechanical, not the type of thing you want a ton of windows into.  It's nice if you can create an entry on a half level between the ground floor and the first floor to give some sense of relation to the pedestrian.

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2008, 03:14:24 PM »
Its like that in many new construction townhouses in various cities.  NOT just Cleveland.   :roll: :roll:

Undoubtably, but they also get other new projects with traditional styling.  Check out the Columbus E Gay St thread.  Why can't we do something like that once in a while?  Plus, other cities haven't torn down as much of their original building stock.       

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »
The issue with the townhouses is that the first floor is predominantly taken up by garage and mechanical, not the type of thing you want a ton of windows into.  It's nice if you can create an entry on a half level between the ground floor and the first floor to give some sense of relation to the pedestrian.

I hear ya, but for these units, the front room on the ground floor is described on the floorplans as work/sudio- it's not garage or mechanical.  The room is going to be dark no matter what because it's under the terraces, but those tiny high windows make the ground floor streetscape look more cheap motel than luxe condo.  From http://27coltman.com/:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:37:40 PM by StrapHanger »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »
hey now.

those are pretty groovy looking.

they have kind of a throwback 60's jet age vibe.

and that's the way to put the roof to use!!!

no worries mr. brickman, they'll sell just fine.

"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2008, 05:13:16 PM »
Luxury townhouses planned for Little Italy in Cleveland
Posted by Michelle Jarboe/Plain Dealer Reporter
December 08, 2008 16:26PM

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2008/12/luxury_condominiums_planned_in.html

Developers have snagged a $5 million construction loan and plan to break ground soon for 27 townhouses in Little Italy.

Launching a residential project now might seem risky at best and, at worst, a tad insane. The housing slump has driven new home construction to its slowest pace in decades, and developers in Northeast Ohio and nationwide are shelving plans until the credit crisis is over.

But Andrew Brickman, a partner in Little Italy Preservation Partners LLC, just opened a design and sales center across from Presti's Bakery on Mayfield Road...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:30:21 AM by McCleveland »

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
If I could pick anywhere in town to live, it would be in this area.  So I'm just glad they're doing all this new housing there.  I like these and I like the other ones too.  That stretch of Euclid is going to look very different in a few years and the new stuff mostly looks good on paper. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:33:27 PM by 327 »

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2008, 06:34:33 PM »
IMO, best website I've yet seen for a CLV project.  I really like what I've seen in terms of finished work (townhomes on East Derbyshire) from architect Scott Dimit.
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2008, 07:31:41 PM »
Not a fan of the parking arrangement represented in the rendering.

I also greatly prefer the Derbyshire style over these modern-boxy designs.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline msa1092

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2008, 08:13:21 PM »
Not a fan of the parking arrangement represented in the rendering.

I also greatly prefer the Derbyshire style over these modern-boxy designs.

I don't like the parking arrangement either..

Remove Ads