Author Topic: Cleveland: Little Italy: Development and News  (Read 181661 times)

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Little Italy Developments
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
^an Irish pub is coming to Little Italy?

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2010, 03:32:51 PM »
There goes the neighborhood...
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2010, 03:52:52 PM »
Sorry, it was a joke.  I guess I needed a sarcasmiley.

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2010, 03:57:25 PM »
I was going to say!  Danny Green took out the mafia but theres still enough community pride/regulators down there to keep us "Micks" out!
Work hard.

Offline mikel

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »
I think the corner of Murray Hill and Mayfield is going to be a restaurant but not totally sure on that one.  I also passed by the old folk guitar center on the corner of Cornell and Random rd..  A guy was working on it and said they were opening up a restaurant (he did not seem 100% confident with his answer) but he also mentioned that the place was a mess and would need a lot of work.  The folk guitar building is pretty ugly right now but is on a nice piece of real estate because everyone that lives in the heights and goes up Edgehill rd. has to pass it.  It would be nice to see that improved.  I was also wondering if anybody has info on the industrial building on Random rd. that they took the windows out of in the fall.  What is this going to be?  Are these plans still in the works?

http://www.littleitalyredevelopment.org/masterplan.htm#singer

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »
I was going to say!  Danny Green took out the mafia but theres still enough community pride/regulators down there to keep us "Micks" out!

Um, I think it was the other way around despite what I wrote eight years ago....

http://www.americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_241.html
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #181 on: March 20, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
Does anyone know what is going into the corner of Murray Hill and Mayfield?  There were people there today working on it.

I had actually heard (on here I believe) that it may become a Souper Market.  Does anybody know if this is true?

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2010, 10:36:17 AM »

Um, I think it was the other way around despite what I wrote eight years ago....

http://www.americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_241.html

My point exactly, his death was the catalyst for bringing the Mafia down from Kansas City to Chicago to NY... I only read the first 1/3 of the article but surely you mention the sketch artist who happened to watch the stupid gangsters plant the bomb. 

Work hard.

Offline BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2010, 11:39:40 AM »
Does anyone know what is going into the corner of Murray Hill and Mayfield?  There were people there today working on it.

I had actually heard (on here I believe) that it may become a Souper Market.  Does anybody know if this is true?

I know at one point that Souper Market had put on its website that they were going to add a location in Little Italy, but there was no location listed...if that is the case...great spot.

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2010, 03:03:08 PM »
Does anybody know what's going on with Mayfield Lofts?  Are they having trouble getting financing?  You would think with the Coltman condo's selling well, and this being arguably a better location in Little Italy, that the project would be going forward.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »
It may be substantially more difficult simply because they are condos and not townhomes.  Might not seem like a big difference to us.  But I can't emphasize enough how tough banks are being on condo buildings right now.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline tradition7

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
It may be substantially more difficult simply because they are condos and not townhomes.  Might not seem like a big difference to us.  But I can't emphasize enough how tough banks are being on condo buildings right now.

McCleveland, I've seen you mention this a few times now.  Could you explain to me why the banks view condos so unfavorably compared to townhomes?

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2010, 05:19:22 PM »
well, let's see... about a year ago fannie / freddie changed their requirements for issuing mortgages at condos making it significantly harder for a potential buyer to get a loan.  I just dug up an old WSJ article that can give you more information here:

Fannie Tightens Its Conditions for Backing Condo Mortgages
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123733304341863319.html

With these guidelines it can be nearly (but not totally) impossible to get loans as a consumer.  Then factor in how many banks got burned by the spec condo craze (think all the 90% empty towers in places like miami), and getting a construction loan is nearly (but not totally) impossible.  And then factor in for most consumers to get loans you need a 71% sold building.  Which means you will normally need 71% presales now to get your construction loan.  I actually read somewhere at some point that K&D was supplying 2nd loans to buyers to help them meet these new thresholds just so they can get units sold.  Are there exceptions?  Sure.  I've heard Key has been bending over backwards to help sales go through at the Park Building.  So case by case it can be done.  But if you're building you better be able to bring a LOT of equity to the table.  And if you're buying one, you better be prepared to bring a LOT of equity to the table.

Crummy situation all the way around for condos right now.  My wife works for a local bank.  Condo loans are nuclear to them.  They won't even look at giving people loans for condos.  Sadly, it's just the way it is right now.  These tighter regulations seem to be hurting a lot more than they are helping.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #188 on: March 23, 2010, 10:51:51 PM »
This does not sound like good news for the residential component of Uptown right down the street.  Isn't most of it condos?

Offline doctabroccoli

• UO Resident Mad Scientist
  • Premium Member
« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »
This does not sound like good news for the residential component of Uptown right down the street.  Isn't most of it condos?

Yes.  I've always expressed to Zaremba that there is a need for nice APARTMENTS in the University Circle area, but I don't know that they're interested in apartments.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »
I had actually heard... though this is probably more appropriate for the uptown thread.  that the zremba portion (mostly condos) would not be moving forward with the initial phase of the development across the street of MRN's (mostly apartments).

Offline jrosen

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2010, 07:08:29 PM »
I just wanted to reiterate what McCleveland said about bank loans and condo projects.   Most banks used to sell these mortgages to Frannie and Freddie.  Now if a bank gives a condo mortgage  they have to keep them as portfolio loans since Frannie and Freddie won't take them.  Which means the interest rate is higher and tends to be more variable for the first few years.

Offline cah55

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2010, 10:53:11 PM »
While cruising around on facebook yesterday I found a group for a soon-coming restaurant by the name of Mia Bella. Under location it says 12200 Mayfield Road, this is the spot that is currently in question correct? It says that it will be opening in Spring 2010. If anybody else want to check it out, just search Mia Bella Restaurant in the search box of facebook!

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2010, 12:14:13 AM »
Yeah thats it.  Its also up on this coming weeks zoning appeals: From bakery to restaurant

Ward 9       Calendar No. 10-29:
 12200 Mayfield Road    Kevin Conwell

Roseanne Passalacqua, owner, appeals to change use from a retail bakery to a restaurant with a maximum of 60 seats and 15 employees in an existing three story building on a 50’ x 175’ corner parcel in a General Retail Business District...........
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2010, 06:39:54 AM »
Yeah thats it.  Its also up on this coming weeks zoning appeals: From bakery to restaurant

Ward 9       Calendar No. 10-29:
 12200 Mayfield Road    Kevin Conwell

Roseanne Passalacqua, owner, appeals to change use from a retail bakery to a restaurant with a maximum of 60 seats and 15 employees in an existing three story building on a 50’ x 175’ corner parcel in a General Retail Business District...........

I was just there Saturday night and was checking out the building permit.  Roseanne Passalacqua was indeed the name on the permit.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: March 29, 2010, 08:04:25 AM »
excellent research skills  :)

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2010, 09:52:23 AM »
Two things:

1) Mia Bella is having their grand opening this Friday.  It is located across Murray Hill Rd from La Dolce Vita, in the original Corbo's bakery spot.  They've done a nice job with the remodeling and there are two murals that are being finished up for this weekend.  I believe they are the only place in Little Italy who will serve Great Lakes beer along with all the italian stuff (I could be wrong on this one, but I just never see Great Lakes beer anywhere in the neighborhood).  They also have a pretty decent $7 Martini menu.  Food...guessing it's mostly pretty decent italian ;)

They will be open for dinner this week to get some of the kinks out, but the grand opening is this FRIDAY.

2)  In the old Gina's Boutique spot (she moved up the hill to Coventry), the windows are all papered up and big signs in the window that say "Murray Hill Market.  Coming soon".  I don't have anymore details on this, but I'm hoping it's a decent-sized grocery store, something Little Italy hasen't had in a couple decades.

EDIT: I probably should have posted this here instead: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,577.60.html   One of the mods, could you move it? 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:57:37 AM by MuRrAy HiLL »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
  • Fish worship... Is it wrong?
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:11 AM »
I think the neighborhood should start letting people know that it actually does have a food co-op nearby. I am blown away at how many live near there and are clueless as to its existence.

For those who may not be familiar, food co-ops are an entirely different concept than the typical grocery stores in that for the most part they promote and foster the distribution of locally made products and/or independently owned companies/economies; local food/products.

A very cheap lifetime membership provides a discount for every time you shop and in the long run, although some prices may seem higher, the food and products are often superior and since you can walk to this place, you don't have the expense of the car which offsets other savings people might get elsewhere. Plus, you will be supporting a local/independent business.

I follow their newsletter and frequent it as often as I can. I do not live around there anymore, but I do know they are going through efforts to largely improve the establishment. It has been there since the 60's.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:16:55 AM by Etheostoma Caeruleum »
This city desert makes you feel so cold....
Its got so many people but its got no soul...
And its taken you so long...to find out you were wrong..
When you thought it held everything. -- Gerry Rafferty, "Baker Street"

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
^^ I would think those both qualify as "developments"  :)

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2010, 01:13:22 PM »
2)  In the old Gina's Boutique spot (she moved up the hill to Coventry), the windows are all papered up and big signs in the window that say "Murray Hill Market.  Coming soon".  I don't have anymore details on this, but I'm hoping it's a decent-sized grocery store, something Little Italy hasen't had in a couple decades.

That's certainly exciting.  Is there anywhere to buy Italian food imports now in LI?
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #200 on: June 13, 2010, 03:46:57 PM »
^^ honestly not really.  Most neighborhood people seem to go to Gallucci's or Alesci's.  Each place usually has a few items...like Corbo's or the wine store near the top of the hill.

Mia Bella opened this weekend, and I hear they had a decent showing.  Here's a good picture of the place: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=228816&id=108594565829265
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:47:27 PM by MuRrAy HiLL »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2010, 08:10:05 AM »
New signage of the remodeled new restuarant Mia Bella.  They even found ways to have outdoor seating....put it right on the side walk!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=17247&id=108594565829265

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2010, 01:36:40 AM »
Wow, I had no idea they wanted to restore the balconies.  This would be AMAZING!

For Cleveland's Little Italy, a new gem at the corner of Mayfield and Murray Hill Roads
Published: Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 3:24 PM     
 Joe Crea, The Plain Dealer

There's finally a new business operating at Mayfield and Murray Hill Roads. Mia Bella, a casual spot combining Italian and other Mediterranean cuisines, recently opened in the space that formerly housed Corbo's Bakery, long since relocated a few doors up the block.

For her part, property owner Roseanne Passalacqua couldn't be happier for the transformation.

"Everyone has put their heart and soul into this," she says, explaining that before the market crash of the Great Depression, the property was home to the Italian Savings and Loan. "We restored the tin ceilings, [and] a crystal chandelier, arches and other architectural features have been installed. My grandfather's safe is still here. The Mehmetis still use it as an office and wine room."

Passalacqua says she hopes to soon have balconies erected on the front of the building. This treasure trove of a neighborhood appears to have a new gem in the fold.

http://www.cleveland.com/dining/index.ssf/2010/06/post_3.html#_login

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2010, 01:40:02 AM »
You can see where the balconies would go in the middle two windows on the left (facing Mayfield Rd):

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=238063&id=108594565829265#!/photo.php?pid=238065&id=108594565829265&fbid=131509663537755
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:42:51 AM by MuRrAy HiLL »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2010, 07:19:47 AM »
That's awesome to be able to open a business in the same spot where your grandfather had a business 80 years ago.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline tedolph

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
I thought that the power lines along Mayfield were going to be relocated to the rear of the buildings.  What happened with that idea?

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2010, 10:44:25 AM »
I thought that the power lines along Mayfield were going to be relocated to the rear of the buildings.  What happened with that idea?

When/where did you hear that?  I'm not familiar with that proposal.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: June 30, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »
Probably a reccomendation out of the Mayfield Rd TLCI.  I don't know where they are at with this or if it will ever become reality.

http://www.noaca.org/ucilittleitaly.pdf

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2010, 01:05:17 AM »
All discussion of Baricelli Inn's closing has been moved here:
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,6769.msg496106/topicseen.html#new

Once again folks, these "Development" threads are here for actual real estate or infrastructure development and related issues, not for discussion of restaurants or general dining trends.

Offline BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2010, 10:37:37 AM »
The "Murray Hill Neighborhood Market" is moving into the property on the corner of Paul and Murray Hill...slated for Summer 2010.  I am interested to see what they will have.

Remove Ads