Author Topic: Cleveland: Little Italy: Development and News  (Read 181697 times)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Re: Cleveland: Little Italy Developments
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2009, 09:44:04 AM »
I like the black and brown color scheme. Very manly! It will be a Bit*h to cool those in the summer, but they'll be nice and toasty on a sunny winter day.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »
Thanks Clueless for the photo updates!  Both projects looking good.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2009, 03:01:52 AM »
wow...what a deal!!

La Dolce Vita building in Little Italy sold at court-ordered auction
By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer
November 02, 2009, 5:44PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A high-profile building in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood sold at a court-ordered auction Monday, ending a foreclosure process that began in early 2005.

Lender JDI Murray Hill LLC entered the only bid -- $333,334 -- for the three-story building that houses La Dolce Vita bistro.

MORE AT CLEVELAND.COM http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2009/11/la_dolce_vita_building_in_litt.html
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2009, 11:09:17 AM »
That seems like all good news.  Now if only someone could get a hold of the former Corbos building across the street  :)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline sfbob

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2009, 01:49:42 AM »
McCleveland I agree something needs to be done with that building. I have no idea what the history is concerning the owners but during my last visit it was really depressing to see such a vital corner looking so ghetto. Something strange must be going on because someone should have snatched that building up by now. Perhaps someone on here has the inside scoop.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »
Well... I meant to post this a while ago, but the last few times my wife and I have headed down for our Mama Santa fix, I noticed that the storefronts are being renovated in the old corbo's space.  There is construction paper up, and building permits in the windows.  No idea what is going on, but it's great to finally seeing this space get spruced up.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline tedolph

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
Has there ever been any progress on getting the powerlines/telephone poles on Mayfield behind the buildings or is this an abandoned concept?

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »
Well... I meant to post this a while ago, but the last few times my wife and I have headed down for our Mama Santa fix, I noticed that the storefronts are being renovated in the old corbo's space.  There is construction paper up, and building permits in the windows.  No idea what is going on, but it's great to finally seeing this space get spruced up.

I was over there today and I noticed that Patrizia's just across the street has been emptied out. And the space is for rent. I wonder if that store is moving across the street to the Corbo's place. I hope that it's not leaving the Mayfield & Murray Hill intersection totally...it had great character with the Italian music playing and the Italia Soccer club shirts hanging over the sidewalk... although I think there is another(?) Patrizia's at Random Rd. & Mayfield, or at least it's something very similar.

Here is Patrizia's  (or was):

45% Cabbage (and so are you if you're reading this)

Offline BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2010, 06:20:53 AM »
Souper Market's website says they are looking to put a shop in little Italy.  Perhaps they are responsible for some of the movement.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »
This is very interesting and encouraging.  Shows that a quality product in a great location can work even in these dark days for real estate.  So c'mon UARD, what's taking you so long?!

Luxury townhouses in Cleveland's Little Italy are selling, but court fight looms
February 08, 2010, 2:50PM

A luxury townhouse development in Little Italy appears to be thriving, despite the rough real estate market and an escalating dispute with neighboring property owners.

Developers of the 27 Coltman project, townhouses on the rim of Cleveland's University Circle, say they have sold 23 of the 27 homes since early 2009.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/02/luxury_townhouses_in_cleveland.html
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »
Goes to show that, outside of the downtown core, the market for townhomes, rowhouses and cluster homes is much stronger than condo buildings.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
^Judging from the Avenue District, that may even be true downtown.

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2010, 02:45:57 PM »
^I wouldn't say that's true throughout downtown.  I think it's more an issue of the location.  There just isn't much there to draw people to the area.  Projects in the WHD seem to enjoy quite a bit of success (Pinnacle, Cloak Factory, etc...) and apartments/condos on E4th and up and down Euclid seem to sell very well too.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »
^ We see eye to eye again :).  That is why I said "core".... I consider the Ave District to be more on the fringe (que the onslaught of responses) and, for high priced condos, very poorly placed.

More relevant to the current topic, does anyone know whether Circle 118 is experiencing similar success.  Just judging from the exterior design and location, I personally like Coltman much, much better.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:02:04 PM by Hts44121 »
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »
when referring to the avenue district... let's not forget that banks are making it almost impossible for buyers to get a loan in a condo building these days.  they are much more lenient towards townhomes, clusterhomes, etc.  Most of the "success stories" of downtown condos were projects that were sold before the financial collapse.  and before said collapse, the avenue district sold very well...

And now back to our little italy success :)

Offline AJ93

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2010, 03:13:56 PM »
I was under the impression (practicing lawyers, please correct me) that an easement carries with the deed, unless a specific time period is listed and/or both current landowners agree to let it expire (with consideration). What are Geis, et al contending, then? Some version of adverse possession?

I go back to the old adage, 'vested in fee, and a man ye be...." Y'arr. Tis true. (that last thing has no meaning whatsoever. But how many times do you get the chance to rhyme about property law?)
Cleveland: Tell your dame it's the bee's knees! - 327

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
I agree that the Avenue district loft building is on "the fringe" and very poorly located for its target market, which is why they're having trouble moving units for the prices they're seeking.

And yes, of course people here like townhouse/rowhouse arrangements.  This is a major city.  Instead of comparing their popularity to that of large condo buildings... I'd compare to that of detached single-family homes.  The larger buildings are more appropriate for rentals rather than condos, while detached homes are more appropriate outiside city limits.  We need a lot more townhouses and rowhouses in Cleveland.  It should surprise no one that they're generally well-received.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline Cleveland

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »
Agreed

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2010, 05:05:41 PM »
Let's keep this thread to actual discussion of Little Italy's development projects.  If someone wants to start a thread on general consumer preference or finance by housing type, that's great, but not here.

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
according to the article, if Geis offered to sell the easement a year or so ago, that means he must recognize it as still valid an not defunct cause of lack of use.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2010, 06:58:49 AM »
wow...what a deal!!

La Dolce Vita building in Little Italy sold at court-ordered auction

November 02, 2009, 5:44PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A high-profile building in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood sold at a court-ordered auction Monday, ending a foreclosure process that began in early 2005.

Lender JDI Murray Hill LLC entered the only bid -- $333,334 -- for the three-story building that houses La Dolce Vita bistro.

MORE AT CLEVELAND.COM http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2009/11/la_dolce_vita_building_in_litt.html

*UPDATE*

La Dolce Vita bistro owner buys his restaurant's building in Little Italy
By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer February 02, 2010, 6:17PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Restaurateur Terry Tarantino has purchased the building that houses his La Dolce Vita bistro in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood.

Property records show that Tarantino has paid $725,000 for the three-story building. The sale closed today -- barely three months after the property changed hands at a court-ordered auction.

"Right now I have some aspirations," Tarantino said, adding that he wants to see whether the building can be converted into a small hotel. "It's got a great location. And it's got a pretty good restaurant underneath."

MORE AT
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/02/la_dolce_vita_bistro_owner_buy.html
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:59:38 AM by MuRrAy HiLL »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »
27 Coltman townhomes:

Offline Oldmanladyluck

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2010, 01:05:42 PM »
Looking Good!
A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
-Mohandas Gandhi

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2010, 02:07:03 PM »
Much better than Circle 118... IMO... even if I am not terribly fond of garage in the front design.

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »
Coltman does not have garage in front (it is in the rear), although in the renderings they did have some rediculous looking parking in front.
Coltman is pretty much the only new construction we looked at and liked in Cleveland.

Note the layout:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:17:18 PM by willyboy »
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2010, 02:21:08 PM »
the "ridiculous parking" is part of that easement dispute discussed above...

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2010, 02:49:17 PM »
Ok, I wasnt sure exactly the area in question.  That setback just seems totally unecessary and dumb.  They could have been built up to the street (to come up to that corner unit) and had additional parking in the back if they wanted.   
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »
^if you're talking about the strip of parking spaces... technically, that is the "street", those spaces were already in existence and not owned by the developer. I think they were really just dealing with the footprint available to them.  At the crux of that argument is actually that the owner of that land doesn't want residents or their guests using those spaces.  The actual parking for the units is in the rear of the buildings...

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »
Coltman is pretty much the only new construction we looked at and liked in Cleveland.

What new construction did you look at that you didn't like?  To keep this on topic, what was it that you liked about Coltman that the other places did not offer?

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2010, 11:19:25 PM »
It was about the best quality (materials) and design that we have seen.  Interiors a little more unique. 
Plus theres no vinyl siding and it wasnt designed by city architecture like most everything else. :wink: 

Oh, the majority of the other stuff we have seen just seems cheaply constructed out of cheap materials.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:21:47 PM by willyboy »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2010, 10:56:03 AM »
Ok, I wasnt sure exactly the area in question.  That setback just seems totally unecessary and dumb.  They could have been built up to the street (to come up to that corner unit) and had additional parking in the back if they wanted.   

Built to the street? what! Sounds like you are trying create a sense of urbanism, that's ridiculous!

It was about the best quality (materials) and design that we have seen.  Interiors a little more unique. 
Plus theres no vinyl siding and it wasnt designed by city architecture like most everything else. :wink: 

bingo!

Offline Confiteordeo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • It's Britney, b*tch!
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »
FWIW, I've walked past the units on Coltman that are already constructed, and they are built up to the street (and interact with it nicely.)  The ones on E. 119... I suppose they could have been built up to the street, but for what purpose? There's nothing on the other side of E. 119, except for more parking and railroad tracks.
Progress and prosperity.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2010, 07:41:18 AM »
FWIW, I've walked past the units on Coltman that are already constructed, and they are built up to the street (and interact with it nicely.)  The ones on E. 119... I suppose they could have been built up to the street, but for what purpose? There's nothing on the other side of E. 119, except for more parking and railroad tracks.

good point, and yes, the one's in MayDay's pic do see to be right up to the street parking.

Offline mikel

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »
Does anyone know what is going into the corner of Murray Hill and Mayfield?  There were people there today working on it.

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
Flannery's

Remove Ads