Author Topic: Cleveland: Little Italy: Development and News  (Read 181533 times)

Offline glutmax

• 408'-Kettering Tower
Re: Cleveland: Little Italy Developments
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2008, 09:00:21 PM »
I agree, the parking looks very motel 8.  The building looks cool though.
Born in Paine, livin the 'Wood. . .

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »
LITTLE ITALY PRESERVATION PARTNERS ANNOUNCES
27 COLTMAN LUXURY TOWNHOMES IN LITTLE ITALY

design centre opens, groundbreaking ceremony to be scheduled soon.

Cleveland, OH – December 11, 2008 – Situated in one of Cleveland’s most vibrant neighborhoods,
officials at Little Italy Preservation Partners (LIPP) announced 27 Coltman, its newest luxury
townhome project in Little Italy on Monday, December 8th. 27 Coltman, a $10 million private
gated community will feature 27 fee simple luxury townhomes.

With financing secured through KeyBank, Andrew Brickman, Partner, is enthusiastic about 27
Coltman’s prospects. “We already have several commitments from buyers, and the response from
the community, thus far, has been extremely encouraging. We feel, by adding 27 Coltman to the
neighborhood’s fabric, we’re going to make Cleveland’s best neighborhood even better.”

In anticipation of the soon to be scheduled groundbreaking, the 27 Coltman Design Centre opened
in the heart of Little Italy at 12026 Mayfield Road between Gustos and La Dolce Vita. Designed
with the same eco-friendly passion, the 27 Coltman Design Centre is a timeless “warm modern”
design, with an open space floor plan and contemporary finishes.

Situated on Coltman Road between Mayfield Road and the new RTA ‘Healthline’ on Euclid Avenue,
27 Coltman Luxury Townhomes is at the epicenter of University Circle’s world class cultural, educational,
and medical communities. Various entertainment, fine and casual dining, shopping, public
transportation, and recreational opportunities are just around the corner throughout Little Italy.

economic and financial incentives

Buyers, who meet certain conditions, are also able to take advantage of the many financial
incentives being offered.

• 15 year 100% tax abatement is provided by the City of Cleveland
• Up to $15,000 in forgivable loans available to apply towards down payment or closing costs
through the Greater Circle Living Program
• 1.5% below market fixed interest rates for 30 years through KeyBank’s Urban Assistance
Program for qualified applicants
• $7,500 first time owner’s tax credit from the federal government

For additional information about Little Italy Preservation Partners and 27 Coltman, please contact
Justin Campbell at 216.870.4442 or Andrew Brickman at 216.965.4514.

about little italy preservation partners:

Little Italy Preservation Partners, award-winning team responsible for The Brownstones at
Derbyshire in Cleveland Heights, develops first-class luxury housing and mixed-use properties both
locally and internationally. Well-capitalized and creative in working with lenders to secure
financing, LIPP ambitiously plans to break ground on their newest project, 27 Coltman, in early
2009. LIPP believes in exceptional product quality, architectural design, and customer service. To learn more about 27 Coltman, visit www.27Coltman.com.

###
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2008, 02:14:56 PM »
Is it possible the previous posts in the Univ. Circle thread can be moved here?
my 2 ¢     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2008, 10:55:32 AM »
I moved the messages that I could confirm were related to the 27 Coltman project.

Offline downtowndreamer

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Here's a link for WCPN, where Rick Jackson conducts a short interview with the developers.  Audio.  Text below.

http://www.wcpn.org/index.php/WCPN/news/15708/

Condo Boom In Little Italy
Posted Sunday, December 14, 2008
Topics: Economy, Other

In the face of a collapsed housing market, new construction has almost come to a standstill in parts of Ohio. An exception emerged last week though, from Little Italy...a neighborhood that's part of Cleveland's "University Circle" area. Activity is planned in Little Italy, where new, high-dollar condos seem to be the choice of developers. ideastream®'s Rick Jackson reports.
Llittle Italy is known for its galleries, shops, dining...and its history as home to the stone cutters and craftsmen who for decades built much of Cleveland’s most elegant buildings.  now Little Italy appears to be on the verge of another building boom.  Local developer Andrew Brickman is poised to break ground on a high-end condo development with a special look.

BRICKMAN: “A lot of the influence comes from the products that are being done in the top cities in Europe and South America where you’ve got people are living in the cities, because the cities are older.

Brickman’s project is attracting attention for another reason. it has secured a $5 million loan from cleveland’s Key bank.  Key bank community lending manager Paul Ettorre says it makes sense depsite the long slide in the housing market.

ETTORRE: “We are very bullish about the University Circle area.  We believe it is a dynamic growing area of the city and we’re excited to continue to participate.”

There are a number of incentives in play to lure buyers.  The city of Cleveland will give tax abatements ....that translates into no city real estate tax for 15 years; Key Bank will make loans through a special urban loan program that provides reduced interest rates; and buyers who are employed by University Circle businesses can get home purchase grants of up to 15-thousand dollars.

Many buyers will need the extra boost because these condos are expected to be priced at nearly one half million dollars. Building partner Justin Campbell is optimistic. 

CAMPBELL: “There is an audience out there that will respond to it; and Cleveland is a sophisticated city, and is looking for something like this. being located here in little italy with all the cultural institutions, the medical community - I think you’re going to have a captive audience that will respond to this.”

It’s a bold move; in an uncertain economy.
Rick Jackson, 90.3.

Offline Chadoh21

• Vive Le Canada
  • 555'-LeVeque Tower
  • Banned!
  • Kosovo est la Serbie et Quebec est le Canada!!!
    • www.xanga.com
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2008, 01:19:02 PM »
Good to see things still moving along, even in this economy! =-0)
"Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power” The Right and Honorable Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Offline downtowndreamer

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2008, 03:55:33 PM »
If anyone is on Facebook, there's a group that I started for Little Italy.  Here's the link. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=60086506440

Feel free to join and add pictures on it if you like.

Offline palijandro7

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »
Is there any interest in the Mayfield?  Can't it be restored into some decent apartments or something?  Have developers shown any interest?  God it is so horrible looking among everything.
"Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter, sermons and soda water the day after."  Lord Byron

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2009, 03:33:19 AM »
Is there any interest in the Mayfield?  Can't it be restored into some decent apartments or something?  Have developers shown any interest?  God it is so horrible looking among everything.

Talk is that it would take at least $1 mil to get it back to its glory. 
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline palijandro7

« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2009, 06:15:49 AM »
^I just think it would be a great investment.  One of the things LI surely lacks is modern apartments.  I would think it would be an absolute boon for anyone who can shell out the money.
"Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter, sermons and soda water the day after."  Lord Byron

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »

Talk is that it would take at least $1 mil to get it back to its glory. 

I agree that the Mayfield is really a black eye for Little Italy, and it has been like that for as long as I can remember.  I cant believe that it hasnt been more of a priority for the Community Development Corporation there(unless Im unaware of something).  They are managing to move on similar projects in other neighborhoods that are costing quite a bit more.  They also managed to get the support of foundations and the city. 

So a quick rundown of the others would indicate that 1 million would be a small price to pay in comparison......
The Variety on Lorain is going to cost at least 8 million (they have raised part of that and are moving forward) they are adding apartments and storefronts, then there's the Capital Theater in Detroit Shoreway which is costing 7 million, and finally the La Salle on E.185 which will cost 1.4 million to restore. 
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline Pete

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »
Is there a feasible market for this building, as a theater?  Shaker Square and the Cedar Lee are stiff competition within the market area, and the theater at Coventry has gone through several iterations, seemingly struggling to make a go of it.  The Play House and university theaters probably don't leave much market for a live theater.  The neighborhood might want to consider restoring the facade to its' former glory but demolishing the rest of the building and constructing a parking garage, disguised from the street as a theater with vehicular access from the alley at the back.  I have no idea if the theater is worth saving/restoring or not.  A new Mayfield RTA station will be great, but the neighborhood businesses would do much better with more plentiful parking available.  This building is long and narrow, tucked up closely to other buildings.  There is little opportunity to provide decent views, so a residential or office conversion might not have a lot of selling points.  Reliable parking is quite possibly the limiting factor to neighborhood growth in Little Italy, both from a commercial and residential standpoint.  Without the reliable, convenient (yet somewhat hidden) parking decks, Coventry & Cedar Fairmount would not be what they are today.  A parking garage is probably a more reliable way to pay for itself than a theater restoration.  The conversion to a parking deck could help reinvigorate the rest of the neighborhood - potentially a palatable trade off.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2009, 01:01:37 PM »
Although I haven't been to LI in years, I have to say, parking garages is not the answer.  MTS hates garages/parking lots!
 :whip:

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »
Yeah, there may not be much of a market for movie theaters , with all the others either operating, struggling or in progress.  And you can only have so many "arts" theaters.  What about performance space where performing arts groups can lease and perform/practice, or is that also overdone.... 
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2009, 01:23:07 PM »
Yeah, there may not be much of a market for movie theaters , with all the others either operating, struggling or in progress.  And you can only have so many "arts" theaters.  What about performance space where performing arts groups can lease and perform/practice, or is that also overdone.... 

Yeah .. I was wondering about that, too, actually. There has to be some kind of out-of-the-box kinda usage for spaces like this in Cleveland. It'd be such a shame to lose something like this.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2009, 09:28:45 AM »
Although I haven't been to LI in years, I have to say, parking garages is not the answer.  MTS hates garages/parking lots!

Uh oh, he's starting to refer to himself in third person....

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »

Uh oh, he's starting to refer to himself in third person....

MTS thanks you!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2009, 01:46:02 PM »
I heard that the Coltman townhomes should be going up soon. I'm not sure how they are phasing the development, but i do know that they have sold at least one unit.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
Thanks for the info 3231.  If they are indeed phasing, I really hope they start out with the Mayfield Rd and E.119th Corner, it has a lot more visibility.  But based on the site plan that wouldn't seem to make much sense.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2009, 01:34:02 PM »
^Mayfield and E119 is a different project/different developer from Coltman, no?
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2009, 01:46:55 PM »
holy crap you're right... it looks like 27 coltman only goes up to sadari's.  So which project is the one for 119th and Mayfield?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2009, 01:52:28 PM »
^The one with the silly cursive "Little Italy" written in lights on the southern facade...  There is definitely discussion of it on one of these boards.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2009, 01:55:17 PM »
This?

Offline palijandro7

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »
^Yeah.  That sign has been up for AGES even though I thought the planning commission gave the go-ahead a year ago.

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2009, 02:08:08 PM »
Sweet!  I love it.  Let's build 10 of those.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »
That's the one... actually I recall an article by litt saying most hurdles cleared and they were supposed to start soon? or maybe that was coltman.  now I have these confused.  I just did a search, there are a lot of mayfield lofts articles in various threads, random cleveland, general UC, etc.  This weekend I may try to bring all those into this thread.  In the meantime anyone know the status?

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »
I remember that debate now.  Cleveland needs to remove all height maximums from its zoning and replace them with minimums.  Nip that right in the bud.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »
http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2009/02/cleveland_architect_scott_dimi.html

Cleveland architect Scott Dimit raises his profile with two new residential projects
Posted by Steven Litt / Plain Dealer Architecture Critic
February 24, 2009 09:35AM

The recession has dampened residential real estate activity in Cleveland dramatically. But there are signs of life amid the gloom, including two new small- and medium-sized projects in Rocky River and Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood, led by developer Andrew Brickman.

Brickman said he has financing for both projects, from Parkview Federal Savings Bank and from Key Bank, respectively, and plans to start construction this year. That alone would be newsworthy in a climate that has seen large developments in Cleveland languish for lack of construction money...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:40:46 AM by McCleveland »

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
"The recession has dampened residential real estate activity in Cleveland dramatically."

Yeah. Just Cleveland. Only in Cleveland. Certainly nowhere else BUT Cleveland!!!

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
« Reply #134 on: February 24, 2009, 03:03:12 PM »
here is a link to his website, can someone yank the pictures of the two projects referenced?  The coltman project is of substantial size... bigger footprint then I expected.  Not too shabby.
http://www.dimitarchitects.com/residential.htm
Work hard.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2009, 10:56:20 AM »
Nothing too exciting going on yet, but dirt is being moved and some foundations getting laid at Coltman Townhomes...

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »
Some movement on the 27 Coltman project.  It looks like 5 of the 27 have been started.  Pictures from over the weekend.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 06:03:54 PM by FrqntFlyr »

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2009, 01:32:43 PM »
Drove past Mayfield Lofts the other day and, for the 1st time, noticed a rendering similar to that in Steve Litt's PD piece (below) 1.5 years ago pushing for condo zoning... Maybe it's been there for a while, but I only remember a blank sign before... The website claims it'll be up, soon, but so far, nothing... Is this project moving forward?

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2008/04/little_italy_condo_project_sho.html

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2009, 07:20:45 PM »
That sign has been up for perhaps a year.

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »

Here are some pics on the progress of 27 Coltman in Little Italy / UC.
It looks like there will be a bunch of these when it's all done. (I know... 27 of 'em)
(Circle 118 (no pics) directly across Euclid Ave is coming along too)

The McCullough Ctr of the CIA is directly across the Rapid tracks , the upper floors of many Coltman units will have this building within view.
The new many-paned green windows look good. Warehouse-y.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:02:13 PM by Clueless,Ohio »
45% Cabbage (and so are you if you're reading this)

Remove Ads