Author Topic: Cleveland: Detroit-Shoreway / Gordon Square Arts District: Development and News  (Read 613105 times)

Offline X

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Detroit/Shoreway & Gordon Square Arts District Developments
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 10:32:28 PM »
That's what I thought might be making the number so high.

Offline OompaLoompa

• 408'-Kettering Tower
  • Rockin' the Cleve
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 10:37:51 PM »
I'm so looking forward to a Cedar Lee for the west side.  But I assume the Capitol Theater will have one screen, one large theater only?  That seems like a serious drawback to be able make a viable business.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 10:52:35 PM »
Yet that project carries something like a $50 million price tag (at least that's the ODOT contribution). I suspect the total cost may be double that.

Even so, there's another $650 million out there. OK, so Battery Park is about $100 million. Gordon Square Homes is $16 million. The Zone Recreation Center is a big chunk of money, though I can't remember how much ($10 million? $20 million?). And we're not even half-way there.... Well I'm stumped!
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Online ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2006, 10:58:36 PM »
^The rest is my consulting fee.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2006, 11:59:55 PM »
^ You're fired.
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Online ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2006, 12:31:41 AM »
^You can't fire me, I'm in with Taft!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2006, 08:56:25 AM »
I think that you guys are forgetting about the new $500 million subway system that RTA's Schipper has been fighting tooth and nail for.  ;)

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2006, 08:59:26 AM »
That figure is unbelievable. It must be a misprint.

Offline Ewoops

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2006, 11:30:38 AM »
^I was under the impression that they were going to take the 1 large theater and create 3 or 4 screens. 

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2006, 04:07:26 PM »
I believe it to be three screens.  two long and narrow that will split the current screen and one that will, as i understand it, be short and wide in what is now the back of the theater, which also has a balcony.  this last theater will potentially feature a bar/lounge from which movies can be viewed.
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2006, 11:49:40 PM »
It's a stretch, but perhaps the proposed West Side Reliever High School is in the mix as well. That is slated to go near/on Walworth Avenue which, although south of I-90, is still in the Detroit-Shoreway Neighborhood.

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2006, 11:20:43 AM »
West Side group plans 85 new apartments

Saturday, February 04, 2006
Thomas Ott

With trendy housing driving up prices in Cleveland's Detroit-Shoreway area, neighborhood leaders want to make sure they save room for people of modest means.

The Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization plans to renovate 64 low-income apartments at the Gordon Square Arcade and carve out 21 new low-income apartments in a former furniture store and two other vacant buildings.

The $12 million project will provide a haven for the poor and help preserve the neighborhood's mix of races and incomes, said Jeff Ramsey, executive director of the nonprofit group, and Michael Bier, its housing director. Detroit Shoreway recently developed 18 other low-income apartments...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:42:38 PM by McCleveland »

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2006, 01:55:26 PM »
Hey all, just this week I started a new job at DSCDO as the District Coordinator for the arts district. So if anyone has any questions about the district specifically, ask away and I'll do my best to answer. I can also try to answer questions about Detroit-Shoreway in general, though I'll have less expertise there. I'm going to take a camera to work one day to snap photos of some great-looking renderings, plans for Madison and Lorain avenues, etc.

In the meantime, theguy and ewoops are right about the Capitol Theatre. It is currently slated to be redeveloped into three or four screens. Four screens would be financially safer, but cramming that many screens in could compromise the theater's gorgeous lobby. So that's still up in the air. In its current, one-screen configuration, it seats 1,200 people.

The theater was built in 1920 and was retrofitted to show "talkies" in the 30s.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2006, 02:22:10 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens if Wolstein is successful in putting an art theater in the East Bank before West 65th can.  I don't think that two would be able to survive so close together.

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2006, 04:24:07 PM »
I've wondered the same thing. Frankly, I don't think an art theater makes sense in the Flats. But, I also think Wolstein may have a more liberal interpretation of "art theater" than we do. He's probably envisioning something like Crocker Park, where they show higher-end mainstream stuff with the occasional "independent" flick tossed in.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2006, 07:44:06 PM »
"Gee, isn't Brokeback Mountain an arts flick?"
--typical suburban resident

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2006, 08:56:49 AM »
^Exactly!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2006, 10:51:26 AM »
I've wondered the same thing. Frankly, I don't think an art theater makes sense in the Flats. But, I also think Wolstein may have a more liberal interpretation of "art theater" than we do. He's probably envisioning something like Crocker Park, where they show higher-end mainstream stuff with the occasional "independent" flick tossed in.

Blinker,

That makes sense.

Offline Cincykidbc1

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2006, 12:07:22 PM »
Holy crap!!!
I didn't know I lived in Michigan. :drunk:
Get it? Detroit? Oh, never mind.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 12:13:56 PM by Cincykidbc1 »
I feel weak. Development... too slow. Someone... help us...please!!!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »
^ You should know that you have the best avatar here

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2006, 04:14:59 PM »
Capital ideas may lead to Capitol Theatre makeover

By JAY MILLER

9:24 am, February 6, 2006

Some of the most complicated financing deals these days are being done by community development corporations, the nonprofit groups that are helping to rebuild neighborhoods in cities such as Cleveland.

One such effort finally may reopen the Capitol Theatre on Cleveland’s West Side.

Jeff Ramsey, executive director of the Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization, said the group is getting closer to restoring the theater on West 65th Street, thanks to some creative financing. Mr. Ramsey said it will take a little more than $4.5 million to restore the 1920s-era movie house, and he believes Detroit Shoreway will be able to
offer investors significant tax credits on almost every penny of that investment, either as tax credits or through a conservation easement.

The tax credits and easement are creatures of the Internal Revenue Code, which allows investors to reduce their taxes by investing in older or low-income neighborhoods. Because of the credits, equity investments are less risky, and loans can be made at lower rates.

Jonathan Forman, owner of the Cleveland Cinemas chain, said he has discussed the Capitol Theatre with Mr. Ramsey and would consider operating the movie house should the restoration program succeed.

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2006, 09:45:14 PM »
Some exciting details to report on the Arts District.

Regarding the Detroit Avenue streetscape improvements, already funded by NOACA (to the tune of $2 million, I believe, though I don't have the exact figures with me):

- New sidewalks and curbs will be built all along Detroit between W. 58th and W. 73rd, and new street lights installed

- Detroit will be narrowed from 48 feet to 42 feet in that span; sidewalks will be widened and curbside parking eliminated

- The street will be further narrowed to 36 feet at 65th Street, to make room for a piazza with new brick paving

- Overheard wires will buried (would have thought this would push the cost way above $2 million but who knows...)

Other random developments in the district:

- Detroit Shoreway is in serious negotiations with a local coffee retailer (not Metro Joe's, thank God -- they're dropping like flies) to open a new coffee shop at Detroit and 65th, in the old dollar store space.

- The old Craciun funeral home site at 61st and Detroit has a new owner who wants to build townhouses on the site. Detroit Shoreway is trying to talk him into street-level retail with condos above.

- Exact same situation at the old factory site next to Club Azteca, at 58th and Detroit. The building is to be demolished, with new mixed use buildings to replace it. (Honestly, the building itself is nothing special, and it's set back from the street.)

Before anyone asks -- no timeline on these last few items. The streetscape improvements are supposed to start next year.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 09:47:21 PM by blinker12 »

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2006, 09:54:19 PM »
Also new: Near West Theatre will not occupy any part of the old Lou's building. They will be entirely contained in a new building to be constructed in an empty lot behind Lou's on W. 67th. Richard Fleischman has been retained as the architect. (I've seen some renderings, but the design is still very much in process.) This new building has always been in the plans, but there was talk for a while of connecting to Lou's and using the ground floor as a lobby. Instead, Detroit Shoreway is looking for a restaurant to occupy the ground-floor space; NWT would collect the rent from this tenant.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2006, 10:55:28 PM »
Awesome stuff. Mind if I pass this along to my partner in crime at the West Side Sun? Or is it too soon?

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2006, 11:48:15 PM »
Awesome update, Blinker, all very cool.  It's great having narcs to give us the scoop from the inside.

Is there any concern about removing the curbside parking?  I can't imagine the businesses are so excited about that part.  Smarter folks than I have pointed this out in other contexts, but that row of parked cars is also a useful barrier between the sidewalk and the moving traffic-not sure I am excited to see it go.  I am definitely psyched about the widened sidewalks though.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2006, 09:31:14 AM »
Agreed, Blinker...great updates!  The curbside parking, as you know, was one of my first questions for you.  How will businesses react?  Also, as Straphanger mentioned, this is an ages-old tool for buffering pedestrian from auto traffic.  Interesting, nonetheless. 

I like the sidewalk widening and especially the focus on W. 65th as a "place."  This is one of Cleveland's most unique and historic intersections and the hub of a vibrant neighborhood.  It should be treated as such!

Cleveland Cinema's interest in the Capitol Theatre appears to me to be a good sign, as does the creative financing scheme.  You must be learning a lot about these things!  DSCDO is one of the most innovative and effective CDCs in this regard.

Also, I thought that the NWT was going to have some sort of office space in the old Lou's Furniture building, but that may have just been the lobby.  I'm surprised that they wouldn't still want to retain this, even with a restaurant front (which I think is a great idea).  What will the lack of a Detroit Ave. facade do for their visibility and for the street's activity?  It all remains to be seen!

One last question...somewhere in there, are there plans to remove that awful dumpster dock/bay from West 67th, north of Detroit?  I can't believe that's allowed!

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2006, 10:32:48 AM »
Regarding the loss of street parking: That is actually something that is being discussed with local business owners. I think the general feeling is that enhancing the street's walkability will generate more pedestrian traffic, thereby making up for the loss of parking. With the widening of the sidewalks, too, traffic will be slowed and the need for a "buffer" from the street will be less acute. The whole plan aims to give priority to pedestrians rather than cars, particularly at the 65th/Detroit intersection.

MGD, exactly what dumpster dock are you talking about?

As for NWT's visibility: The hope is to acquire the one-story TRD Leather building, just to the east of Lou's, demolish it and create a plaza in front of NWT's new building, thereby giving it greater visibility from Detroit. But even if that didn't happen, the new building would be easily seen from Detroit.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 10:34:57 AM by blinker12 »

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2006, 10:47:23 AM »
A plaza?  I think it's a bad idea to get rid of an existing business to create a plaza in an area that doesn't have the pedestrian activity to keep that plaza active.

Besides that, I think that the goings on in Gordon Square are very exciting!

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2006, 11:06:27 AM »
Is the leather shop still open?  I like the idea of a plaza that creates another node of activity on Detroit.  The only thing I'd miss is the opportunity for a marquee on Detroit for the new theater!

The dumpster in question is on W.67th, attached to the Gordon Sq. building, and hangs over the sidewalk on the east side of the street, just north of Detroit.  I've grumbled at it several times in passing, but it's always there the next time I come back!

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2006, 11:12:55 AM »
I'll try to ask around about that dumpster.
Yes, the leather shop is still operating. I see your point in a way about getting rid of it... but keep in mind, there's another leather store just a couple blocks east on Detroit (next to the Romanian Orthodox church) to take care of all your leather needs! ;)

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2006, 11:15:24 AM »
One store can't handle "all" of my leather needs!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2006, 01:00:26 PM »
^ TMI (too much information)

Offline Cincykidbc1

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2006, 12:01:05 PM »
^ You should know that you have the best avatar here

Thanks!! 8-)
I feel weak. Development... too slow. Someone... help us...please!!!

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2006, 02:59:48 PM »
Breaking news from the Arts District! :clap:

A lease has been signed for the Kennedy Building, on the SE corner of Detroit & W. 65th. The tenant will be a bakery/coffehouse/lunch place called Gypsy Beans & Baking Co., owned by the former manager of Talkies Coffee House in Ohio City.
The owner recently purchased Ohio City Muffins and will be moving operations of the bakery to the space.
Significant build-out will begin soon, with an anticipated opening date of July 1.

This is fantastic news for the neighborhood, and a harbinger of more good things to come!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2006, 08:29:53 PM »
Good news. What's the owner's name?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 08:30:38 PM by KJP »

Remove Ads