Author Topic: Cleveland: Detroit-Shoreway / Gordon Square Arts District: Development and News  (Read 597638 times)

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
The former Midland Steel site is at Madison and West 110th. The city kennel is going to the former Monarch Aluminum plant on Detroit at West 92nd -- another dumb decision of where to put a public building that will stifle neighborhood development. Although the city has "tried" to market the Monarch site but with no takers (same with Midland) thus far.

It would encourage development if it was designed the right way.

Cat cafe's are all the rage. A retail component fronting Detroit Ave. could invite the public to better interact with the animals who are up for adoption. 

Offline jws

• 367'-PNC Bank
The former Midland Steel site is at Madison and West 110th.

There was a comment from the councilman that this site potentially has someone lined up in some capacity, but it wasn't far enough along for more details. I'm fearful it'll just be suburban business park style as shown on the Madison corridor development plan.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio

There was a comment from the councilman that this site potentially has someone lined up in some capacity, but it wasn't far enough along for more details. I'm fearful it'll just be suburban business park style as shown on the Madison corridor development plan.

I heard something about that, but I was confused as to whether it was this site (Midland) or the cleaned/cleared site next to I-77. From what I'm hearing, it may be both. The industrial/warehousing sector is bursting at the seams right now.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa

I heard something about that, but I was confused as to whether it was this site (Midland) or the cleaned/cleared site next to I-77. From what I'm hearing, it may be both. The industrial/warehousing sector is bursting at the seams right now.

Hmm, any chance on earth that Cudell will push for an urban street-friendly portion along Madison?

Offline jws

• 367'-PNC Bank

Hmm, any chance on earth that Cudell will push for an urban street-friendly portion along Madison?

I know segments of Madison through the Cudell Improvement service area are pedestrian retail overlay districts. Not sure the specific coverage or if this extends into the DSCDO service area.

In terms of the Midland site, I'm not sure how willing they will be to minimize the setbacks.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 02:33:59 PM by jws »

Offline Urbanophile

• 665'-Queen City Square
^ Unfortunately the overlay district does not cover the Midland Steel site's frontage on Madison.

Offline CbusTransit

• 408'-Kettering Tower
The Detroit road streetscape from lake to 52 is on the planning commission agenda this week but I can't for the life of me find out what, exactly, the streetscape entails. Is Detroit getting rebuilt like the core streetscape? Or is this some sort of half effort? Anybody have any links or renderings or info on what this streetscape looks like? Thanks folks!

Remove Ads