Author Topic: Cleveland: Detroit-Shoreway / Gordon Square Arts District: Development and News  (Read 597637 times)

Offline math

• 468'-Scripps Center
Re: Cleveland: Detroit/Shoreway & Gordon Square Arts District Developments
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2007, 02:12:53 PM »
yep.  I don't know where in the development of the stonework your picture is, but to the right of the building there now is a large pillar thing with a pyramid on top.  it is really something.  nice to have bocci, since the area has italian heritage.  while I am not much of irish pubs, I may try it out a little.  I mostly go to the parkview when there are no bands, or the happy dog when I want some food.  the proximity to battery park, about 5 blocks, and 65th, about 2 blocks, makes this a sure fire hit.  definately a walkable area. 

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2007, 05:47:08 PM »
Anyone know what this is about? It's from Friday's Design-Review agenda....

ADMINISTRATIVE APPROVALS
Ordinance No. 195-07 : Authorizing the Director of Parks, Recreation and Properties to enter into an amendment to the Lease between the City of Cleveland and the Detroit Shoreway Corporation for a public parking facility located at 6518 Detroit Avenue.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2007, 05:54:30 PM »
This thread title is already so descriptive why dont you give us the longitude and latitude coordinates? I'm on google earth.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 05:55:10 PM by David »
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2007, 06:20:23 PM »
Anyone know what this is about? It's from Friday's Design-Review agenda....

ADMINISTRATIVE APPROVALS
Ordinance No. 195-07 : Authorizing the Director of Parks, Recreation and Properties to enter into an amendment to the Lease between the City of Cleveland and the Detroit Shoreway Corporation for a public parking facility located at 6518 Detroit Avenue.

That sounds like it might be the parking lot behind the Gordon Square Arcade...

The City owns it and probably leases it to DSCDO
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 06:30:31 PM by Map Boy »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2007, 06:27:08 PM »
I think you may be right.

Offline peabody99

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2007, 08:06:19 PM »
This thread title is already so descriptive why dont you give us the longitude and latitude coordinates? I'm on google earth.
Oh yeah...and people wonder why this place has a reputation as geeky
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 08:07:00 PM by peabody99 »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2007, 09:22:32 PM »
David is just being feisty today, based on his other messages. Or he imbibed a little too much of the adult beverage.

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »
^^Yeah, that's the surface lot behind the Gordon Square Arcade. Detroit Shoreway is building a garage there to support the movie theater. I begged them not to let people enter the theater directly from the garage (a la Playhouse Square) but was told, essentially, that suburbanites were too scared to use sidewalks. So.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »
^^Yeah, that's the surface lot behind the Gordon Square Arcade. Detroit Shoreway is building a garage there to support the movie theater. I begged them not to let people enter the theater directly from the garage (a la Playhouse Square) but was told, essentially, that suburbanites were too scared to use sidewalks. So.

What bullshit!  If people want to come into a neighborhood, they should do as the natives do.
my 2      Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2007, 10:47:42 AM »

Can the garage at least be designed to funnel the people towards a staircase/elevator near the sidewalk, aka front of the theater.  Maybe even the "bridge" to the theater can be near the sidewalk, with windows so that people can at least see the activity in the neighborhood.  Hopefully, this would help draw more of them outside....?  Just some quick thoughts...

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2007, 10:52:24 AM »

loves it

Offline Florida Guy

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »
^ When in Rome...

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2007, 11:04:38 AM »

Can the garage at least be designed to funnel the people towards a staircase/elevator near the sidewalk, aka front of the theater.  Maybe even the "bridge" to the theater can be near the sidewalk, with windows so that people can at least see the activity in the neighborhood.  Hopefully, this would help draw more of them outside....?  Just some quick thoughts...

I 100% agree!!  Although, such a great project, why fucking subcombing these punk a$$ suburbanites insecurities?!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2007, 11:36:15 AM »
I 100% agree!!  Although, such a great project, why fucking subcombing these punk a$$ suburbanites insecurities?!

Subcombing? OK, I can take some misspellings on this site, but I can't let that one pass! It took me a few seconds to realize what you were trying to say. I presume you meant "succumbing"?  :whip:

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2007, 11:45:40 AM »
ahhh...interesting.  I recall that one of the excuses for why the Centrum on Coventry was no longer viable was because the Coventry garage was built too far from the theater.  I always thought that was ridiculous, but hey, I'm no theater owner!  I would love to think that neighborhoods like Coventry and Detroit-Shoreway could support a theater with walking distance crowds & transit, but I guess if they're trying to make the Capitol the "Cedar-Lee of the West Side," then they'll need more parking than they already have.  Blinker, do you think the parking behind the Gordon Square Arcade is inadequate for this purpose?

What does CPT do?  They're a pretty big destination...

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2007, 12:53:04 PM »

Subcombing? OK, I can take some misspellings on this site, but I can't let that one pass! It took me a few seconds to realize what you were trying to say. I presume you meant "succumbing"?  :whip:

sory.  painkillers are mking me loopy.  I guess I should have hit the "spell check" button.

Offline Vulpster03

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2007, 01:42:51 PM »
The whole anti-urban-sidewalk suburban contigency is dying in my opinion. Peope are going to travel out to Gordon Square percisely for the purpose of walking around in a neighborhood - even people from the suburbs. I don't think this was the case 20 years ago, but today is different.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2007, 01:52:22 PM »
The whole anti-urban-sidewalk suburban contigency is dying in my opinion. Peope are going to travel out to Gordon Square percisely for the purpose of walking around in a neighborhood - even people from the suburbs. I don't think this was the case 20 years ago, but today is different.

Exactly!

Offline jmjr

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2007, 09:23:54 PM »
I am so glad I found this thread! 8-)  For those of you who have seen my posts b4 -- still looking/considering a move from Euclid to OC or Battery Park.  This whole Gordon Square thread makes BP look like a no brainer!
Having two bathrooms ruined the capacity to co-operate. -- Margaret Mead

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »
On this week's City Planning Commission agenda:

Ordinance No. 71-07 (Zone/Ward 17) : To change the Height District of land on the north side of Detroit Avenue between West 65 th St. to West 67 th St. from a 1 or a 2 Height District to a 3.

That upgrades this segment from a 35' - 60' limit to a 115' limit.  I'm wondering why...

The only thing on this block is the Gordon Square Arcade and the parking lot behind it.  Unless the recent talk of developing a garage on the parking lot includes building a few stories of housing on top of it (which would totally kick a$$!).

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2007, 01:23:42 PM »
Unless the recent talk of developing a garage on the parking lot includes building a few stories of housing on top of it (which would totally kick a$$!).

this has certainly been talked about with the plan being more theaters, a parking structure, and housing on top.
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2007, 01:28:16 PM »
oh, please let it be so!  Is this a DSCDO project or has a private developer entered the picture?

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2007, 01:33:13 PM »
the current priority is to finalize funding for the capital theater renovation.  i have no info on the garage, housing, or additional theaters, but the height  increase is indeed thought provoking!
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2007, 02:04:27 PM »
This may have something to do with easements. I believe DSCDO wanted to sell conservation easements for the air rights over the Arcade, to help finance the movie theater. Maybe this upzoning was needed to allow air rights to be sold, which seems a byzantine maneuver!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2007, 02:14:04 PM »
^smart.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2007, 10:14:17 PM »
I don't know if I'm more impressed with this purported strategery by DSCDO or by B12's leviathan vocabulary!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2007, 10:40:25 PM »
Maybe this upzoning was needed to allow air rights to be sold, which seems a byzantine maneuver!

I'm not impressed. I perform byzanize maneuvers quite freqently.

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2007, 11:13:12 PM »
This may have something to do with easements. I believe DSCDO wanted to sell conservation easements for the air rights over the Arcade, to help finance the movie theater. Maybe this upzoning was needed to allow air rights to be sold, which seems a byzantine maneuver!

For those not in the planning profession, or the conservation easement brokerage field (:wink:), what are the implications of this?  Who would want to buy the air rights? and why?

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #203 on: March 15, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »
That's a logical (and good) question.  Who will buy the air rights?  I believe these have to be sold to someone in surrounding blocks.  Not sure where these would be applied.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »
^OK, I'll come clean. I'm planning on building the Detroit-Shoreway Space Needle.

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2007, 03:41:42 PM »
I *think* a local developer was interested in buying them. It means they would have exclusive rights to build additional stories on the arcade, if/when the neighborhood gets "hot." I'm not sure how this would work, though, considering the Arcade is currently affordable housing for seniors and probably must remain so for a while (considering it was just renovated using low-income tax credits).

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2007, 10:13:13 AM »
I overheard that the Cleveland Clinic is looking at putting in some doctor's offices at the old RiteAid on W. 65th
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »
Wish that they would do somthing similar to what they did next to Rockport Square in Lakewood. That old Rite Aid is quite the ugly duckling. Still, it would be great it something were in there.

Offline math

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2007, 11:09:31 AM »
inside the old rite aid, or on that corner?  it is a thoroughly under utilized crossroads, especially with its proximity to all the good news one block up.  a new building, maybe built up to just one of the sidewalks would do wonders for extending the franklin ave streetscape.   

Offline bizbiz

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • I Just Can't Get Enough.. OF CLEVELAND!
« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2007, 09:25:38 PM »
Howabout a new thread specifically for this up-and-coming neighborhood. Battery Park isn't the only thing going on this neighborhood, so let's be creative and stir up some discussion on one of the hottest places to be in Cleveland right now!

Gypsy Coffeehouse recently opened and is an awesome little place to hang out! They have some VERY unique sandwiches and drinks!

Cleveland Public Theatre, The Happy Dog, King's Terrace, and BP spur development. Let's talk it up!

Remove Ads