Author Topic: Euclid: Development and News  (Read 12702 times)

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
Re: Euclid: random developments
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »
Photo update on the site of the new Wastewater Treatment Plant building and its associated underground 300 million gallon equalization tank. IIRC, this is hole between and 80 and 100 feet deep.

Reference photo:

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 02:13:29 PM »

Cross-posted for your enjoyment as well as theirs:

HGR announces new national automotive tenant

Nope, HGR Industrial Surplus is not getting into the used car business, but DriveTime, a new national automotive tenant, will be joining HGR Industrial Surplus and NEO Sports Complex at Nickel Plate Station, 20001 Euclid Avenue, Euclid, Ohio, in September.

The company is based out of Arizona and sells used cars. It currently has 139 dealerships throughout the country and is planning to open 10 more by the end of the year. Its geographic region started in the west and is expanding to the East Coast.  It employees more than 1,000 people. The company’s largest competitor in the area is CarMax.

The facility in Euclid will be used as an inspection and distribution center. DriveTime will buy used cars and ship them into Euclid for service and detailing. From there, they will be sent to one of its retail locations for sale.  The inspection center will have more than 20 car lifts, mechanics area, spray booths, wash stations, and other car service features.  The center will be its largest in the country, eventually feeding at least 11 retail locations. The retail locations will stretch from Detroit to Erie, Pennsylvania.

The inspection center will process approximately 56 vehicles per day.  It will utilize the large parking lot for unfinished and finished cars. The center will employee between 85 to 100 people.  The company will be conducting a fit out for new offices and bathrooms within the facility and will be investing more than $2 million into its operation.

https://hgrinc.com/hgr-announces-new-national-automotive-tenant/

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:38:02 PM by FerrariEnzo »
Work hard.

Offline plinth857

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 06:51:13 AM »
I have a fledging Urban Farm in Euclid on the old St. Roberts site.  Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/VeteransCombatingChildHungerFarm/photos/a.652743118196333.1073741828.652643151539663/831717496965560/?type=3&theater

This is a great re-use of this land.  What if all of the unused/underused land in Euclid became urban farm?  Sure, it wouldn't generate a whole lot of tax revenue, but neither is unused land!  Plus, think of all the good an urban farm does; environmental, humanistic, aesthetic. 

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 07:01:12 PM »
I have a fledging Urban Farm in Euclid on the old St. Roberts site.  Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/VeteransCombatingChildHungerFarm/photos/a.652743118196333.1073741828.652643151539663/831717496965560/?type=3&theater

Thats exactly why we do it.  Utilize vets who want to be used.  Reduce municipal budget spent on maintaining these lots.  Teach kids/community about soil/environment/nutrition/sustainability.  As we get better we will find a way to monetize parts of it to self sustain but first we are learning to work with our soil.  City of Euclid aka Paul Beno have been very helpful obtaining leases/permissions etc. 

This is a great re-use of this land.  What if all of the unused/underused land in Euclid became urban farm?  Sure, it wouldn't generate a whole lot of tax revenue, but neither is unused land!  Plus, think of all the good an urban farm does; environmental, humanistic, aesthetic. 
Work hard.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Euclid: Development and News
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 12:11:16 PM »
Simon's Supermarket opening Feb. 4 aims to be fresh food oasis in former food desert
By Janet H. Cho

Simon Hussain didn't want to simply open a supermarket in the Euclid Richmond Shopping Center; he wanted to open a neighborhood grocery store that would draw people now driving miles out of the city to feed their families.

On Feb. 4, when he formally welcomes customers to the grand opening of his third family-owned food market, he will find out if he succeeded.

More importantly, his store will provide an oasis of fresh food in an area that both the city and state had previously identified as a food desert -- a census tract with a poverty rate of 20 percent or higher, where residents live more than 1/2 a mile from a full-service supermarket, but may not drive.

Local and state officials believed so strongly in Simon's Supermarket that they awarded Hussain $775,000 in grants and loans to help defray his startup costs: a $250,000 grant and a $400,000 loan from the Healthy Food For Ohio Program; and a $125,000 grant from the City of Euclid's HUD-funded storefront renovation program.

Roger Sikes, program manager for the Cuyahoga County Board of Health's Creating Healthy Communities initiative, said officials are pleased with how the store turned out, as well as how responsive Hussain has been to his neighbors' suggestions. Hussain has a strong track record of listening to his customers.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2017/01/simons_supermarket_opening_feb.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:11:33 PM by musky »

Offline Down_with_Ctown

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 08:12:15 PM »
Gaining a grocery store, especially a locally owned non-chain, is a great step for this neighborhood.  Frankly, I'm surprised the area turned into a food desert in the first place.  It's less than a mile south of the old Euclid Square Mall, which featured a full service Rini-Rego grocery store in its day.  In fact, the shopping center where the current Simon's operates used to support a decent sized Bi-rite as well.  The neighborhood has extensive built-in freeway access, is very close to the Lake county line, and (as the article states) is a in the middle of a dense residential area with several high-rise apartment complexes to the south and west.  I really hope it succeeds.  This region could use another Marc's- or Dave's-type local grocery company.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:14:04 PM by Down_with_Ctown »

Offline CLE618

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »
Gaining a grocery store, especially a locally owned non-chain, is a great step for this neighborhood.  Frankly, I'm surprised the area turned into a food desert in the first place.  It's less than a mile south of the old Euclid Square Mall, which featured a full service Rini-Rego grocery store in its day.  In fact, the shopping center where the current Simon's operates used to support a decent sized Bi-rite as well.  The neighborhood has extensive built-in freeway access, is very close to the Lake county line, and (as the article states) is a in the middle of a dense residential area with several high-rise apartment complexes to the south and west.  I really hope it succeeds.  This region could use another Marc's- or Dave's-type local grocery company.

I do think it's great, but there also is a Giant Eagle and a Dave's less than a mile away. Within 2/3 more miles you have 2 more Dave's, another Marc's, an Aldi, and Sweetberry Fresh Market, and two more Giant Eagle's not far after that. I get the idea that not everyone can drive- but this is hardly a food "desert" when it comes to grocery stores. The writer is exaggerating a bit.

Offline Matches

• God of skinny punks.
  • 574'-Carew Tower
  • Eloquently sarcastic
    • Benander Games / Sports Data
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 07:32:12 PM »
It isn't the writer exaggerating.  "...both the city and state had previously identified as a food desert -- a census tract with a poverty rate of 20 percent or higher, where residents live more than 1/2 a mile from a full-service supermarket, but may not drive."

Poorly written, yes.
"May I drive to the grocery store?"

No you may not.

It's not surprising to me that this area was a "food desert".  It is a geographically isolated area, with the railroad, dead mall and industry, and the Shoreway to the north, more industry to the west, the 90 spur to the East, and the Euclid-Chardon bluff to the south.  Rini-Rego operated out of Euclid Mall which made sense in the heyday of the mall as the center of retail for the region but once that died it was only a matter of time before this little section of town, which has been the poorest section of Euclid going back at least 30 years, did too.
"The urban core is a net importer of young adults and a net exporter of old adults. That's the antithesis of a dying city."

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2017, 01:36:46 PM »

Offline tj111

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
@musky

• Where did you get this information?  There's no text or article or anything, just a photoshopped screenshot of a facility and Google Maps.
  • If this is true, please let it mean same day Prime deliveries!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »
@musky

• Where did you get this information?  There's no text or article or anything, just a photoshopped screenshot of a facility and Google Maps.
  • If this is true, please let it mean same day Prime deliveries!

Go back and look through Musky's old posts to see how he knows. Awesome tip, Musky. Thanks!
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »

Offline Clefan98

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2017, 03:20:40 PM »
I just had a convo with a friend of mine who accepted an HR mgmt position with Amazon in Cleveland .  She wouldn't tell me where they will be located, but did mention they are planning on opening three or four distribution centers around Cleveland. 

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »
I think I saw something on the news about Twinsburg already hiring for one of the locations

Offline plinth857

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2017, 07:39:21 AM »
I think I saw something on the news about Twinsburg already hiring for one of the locations

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170423/NEWS/170429935/amazon-is-leasing-large-space-in-euclid

Curious how many jobs this will be.  Great to see this.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
Meh

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2017, 09:29:28 AM »
In other Euclid news:

Please join us for Chipotle’s Grand Opening!
Thursday, April 27th, 2017
10:30am = Ribbon Cutting
10:45am = Doors open to the public
Chipotle: 22250 Lakeshore Boulevard (Downtown Euclid)

We hope you can join us at 10:30am for brief remarks by Chipotle General Manager, Brooke Shultz, Euclid Mayor Holzheimer Gail and Director of Planning and Development Jonathan Holody. A ribbon cutting by the Euclid Chamber of Commerce to proceed doors opening to the public at 10:45am.

No RSVP needed.

Please share the Grand Opening with your network via the link found here. The first 100 customers will receive a free Chipotle swag bag.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:30:17 AM by musky »

Offline plinth857

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
Meh

Ahh... bummer.  I guess this is the future of retail.

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »
Too bad there isnt a business case for Amazon to re purpose old malls.  90% Amazon distribution center, 10% restaurant / retail
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2017, 03:56:33 PM »
Too bad there isnt a business case for Amazon to re purpose old malls.  90% Amazon distribution center, 10% restaurant / retail

And part of that 10 percent being an Amazon outlet store of unclaimed merchandise sold at a discount.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2017, 09:58:59 AM »
Oh, I wouldn't worry about that old mall very much. It has been officially condemned and has been completely vacated. All of the churches that were there are gone.

All of this is about to change very soon though and it will include a complete remake of about 65 acres of the site into something pretty awesome.

Offline plinth857

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »
Oh, I wouldn't worry about that old mall very much. It has been officially condemned and has been completely vacated. All of the churches that were there are gone.

All of this is about to change very soon though and it will include a complete remake of about 65 acres of the site into something pretty awesome.

Cool!  Now if only they would consider extending the Red Line out there.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2017, 10:24:09 AM »

You suck. So bad.

Cool!  Now if only they would consider extending the Red Line out there.

Oh they've considered it, weighed it against the alternatives, and would love to recommend it if only for a lack of funding.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »
Well, someone did file for next month's Planning and Zoning Commission meeting on May 9.
So, I suppose it is public record... if only someone where to submit a public records request to the City

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2017, 11:38:05 AM »
Meanwhile... down on the farm:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:39:47 AM by musky »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »
Well, someone did file for next month's Planning and Zoning Commission meeting on May 9.
So, I suppose it is public record... if only someone where to submit a public records request to the City

Consider it done.

Offline CLE618

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »

IKEA...

:roll:

A boy can dream.

Offline inlovewithCLE

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »

You're killin me, smalls! Lol. When will we have more info on this? Sounds exciting

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2017, 08:54:21 AM »
Planning and Zoning Commission meeting agenda:
https://goo.gl/xzHAcV

Offline plinth857

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2017, 09:08:40 AM »

That is very interesting...

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2017, 09:55:36 AM »
Bye, Euclid Square Mall; hello Amazon?
Ken Prendergast
May 3, 2017

After 40 years, Euclid Square Mall is destined to be physically replaced by the latest thing in retailing -- E-commerce. The mall, having closed Sept. 19, 2016 after years of limping along with two dozen churches as its remaining tenants, is vacated and officially condemned by the city for safety violations. Euclid Square Mall had succumbed to the changing retail market and population shifts long ago.

Circumstantial evidence suggests the replacement for the 687,000-square-foot shopping mall will be a massive distribution facility for the online retail giant Amazon. Called a Fulfillment Center, the facility would measure at least 650,000 square feet and possibly be as large as 1 million square feet. Based on similar projects elsewhere in Ohio, it would represent a capital investment in facilities and equipment of more than $100 million and result in the hiring of more than 600 permanent jobs.

MORE:
http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2017/05/bye-euclid-square-mall-hello-amazon.html

Offline CLE618

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »

That is very interesting...

Very intrigued.  :-o

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2017, 10:10:32 AM »
Euclid Square Mall, now dead, could be demolished for massive industrial project
By Michelle Jarboe

Another dead Northeast Ohio mall could be bulldozed for an industrial project, under plans being floated by an Atlanta-area developer that has constructed sprawling distribution centers for Amazon.com and other retail behemoths.

On Tuesday, Euclid's Planning and Zoning Commission will consider a request to rezone a 66-acre site, spanning Euclid Square Mall and a few adjacent parcels, from retail to industrial use. Documents filed with the city identify Seefried Industrial Properties, Inc., of Georgia as the potential buyer of the properties.

And those documents show that Seefried wants to construct a massive building - 650,000 to 1 million square feet - where the vacant mall now stands.

MORE:
http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/05/euclid_square_mall_now_dead_co.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:11:02 AM by musky »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »
Copy cat.

Remove Ads