Author Topic: Cincinnati: $10M Tri-County Mall expansion  (Read 17816 times)

Offline preservationrestoration

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
Re: Cincinnati: $10M Tri-County Mall expansion
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 07:12:17 PM »
Isn't the the Penny's building the old Pogue's store?  I remember that from when I was younger...and the Gold Circle that was close by.

The inside of TriCounty isn't bad.  And the McAlpin's/Dillards store is one of the nicest around.

I never understood why they built Forest Fair/Cincy Mills so close by.

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 07:34:39 PM »
^Forest Fair was supposed to be a different market, much more high-end than Tri-County, but we all know how that turned out.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2006, 08:42:26 PM »
I don't care what you guys say. Tri-County has a guitar shop and a store that sells old Transformers and NES Games. It kicks a$$.

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • Premium Member
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2006, 09:54:15 PM »
I don't care what you guys say. Tri-County has a guitar shop and a store that sells old Transformers and NES Games. It kicks a$$.

If you want a store that sells old Transformers, you need to check out the toy store in Pleasant Ridge.  For guitars, Sam Ash is right next to Dave & Busters. :)

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2006, 08:29:23 AM »
^^ I was actually in the store at Pleasant Ridge the day I wrote that. It looked like somebody cleaned 'em out as far as Transformers went; well, at least the original "real car"-based ones. The ones at the mall are just beat up enough to make them cost $7 instead of $50, although they have the nicer ones as well.

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2006, 06:25:03 PM »
Pretty much what you all just said, from the 11/16/06 Tri-County Press:

Tri-County Mall renovation begins in Springdale

SPRINGDALE - Crews recently began demolition on the old JC Penney store in Tri-County Mall, starting the renovation project that was anticipated to be completed before the holiday season.

Several issues factored in to the late start, said Springdale Administrator Cecil Osborn.

Thor Group, the company that bought the mall last year, now has a lesser ownership position, and is primarily responsible for leasing spaces in the mall.

Coventry Real Estate Advisors is now 90 percent owner.

Osborn said it was the change in ownership that stalled the renovation.

"I would hope by this time next year we will see a great bulk of the work finished," he said.

http://news.communitypress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061116/NEWS01/611160371/1089/Local
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:00:26 PM by Cygnus »
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 08:17:04 AM »
Tri-County Mall renovation brings Chicago brewhouse
BJ's, at former J.C. Penney site, could help entice national tenants

LISA BIANK FASIG | LFASIG@BIZJOURNALS.COM
March 2, 2007

PHOTO: BJís Restaurant Brewhouse is scheduled to open at Tri-County Mall in early 2008.
Courtesy of BJís restaurants Inc.

SPRINGDALE - Tri-County Mall, which is undergoing a multimillion-dollar renovation to add a glass-enclosed atrium and several streetside storefronts, has signed a new-to-market Chicago brewery chain that could serve as the necessary lure for other national tenants.

The restaurant, BJ's Restaurant Brewhouse, will be a 270-seat, "premium casual" eatery that specializes in pizza, gourmet-like pub food and beer supplied by one of its 12 breweries. Some say it could be joined by the Elephant Bar, a California-based chain of 300-seat eateries featuring tropically inspired dishes.

BJ's marks the first significant tenant for Tri-County since Ethan Allen signed a year ago. Both will occupy the space once used by J.C. Penney, said Jeff Tulloch, director of economic development for Springdale. That space is being rebuilt and the mall's total project cost is now running north of $10 million, he said. "Our guess is that it will be closer to $15 million plus, and that's conservative."

http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2007/03/05/story10.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:01:25 PM by Cygnus »

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 10:23:59 AM »
BJs at the mall? Maybe I'll go more often.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2007, 06:43:56 PM »
From the 7/7/07 Enquirer:

Tri-County getting theme park
Krazy City will fill part of former J.C. Penney

BY MIKE BOYER | MBOYER@ENQUIRER.COM

SPRINGDALE - Krazy City, a family-oriented indoor theme park with a full-service restaurant, plans to open in Tri-County Mall early next year.

Pomona, N.Y.-based Advantage Entertainment Centers Inc. said Friday it has leased 50,000 square feet vacated last year by J.C. Penney on the second level of the mall.

Krazy City features rides, such as an 18,000-square-foot electric go-kart track, a nine-hole miniature golf course, a two-thirds-scale bowling alley, a build-it yourself toy factory and an assortment of arcade and prize-redemption games.

"Cincinnati is the type of market that meets our criteria for family entertainment. Our key demographic is kids 14 and under," said Joseph Moore, president of Advantage, which opened its first Krazy City location in West Nyack, N.Y., last year and is opening in two more malls in New York and Connecticut this fall.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070707/BIZ01/707070327/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:01:51 PM by Cygnus »

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • Premium Member
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2007, 11:15:48 AM »
Wonderpark anyone?

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2007, 03:43:49 PM »
Northgate and Cincinnati Mills both seemed doomed, and with the recent moves of Tri-County it might be headed in the same direction.  The mall era is surely coming to an end.

Offline ragerunner

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2007, 10:32:23 AM »
Northgate and Cincinnati Mills both seemed doomed, and with the recent moves of Tri-County it might be headed in the same direction.  The mall era is surely coming to an end.

I would agree, the suburban mall era is starting to come to an end.
Colorado Front Range - 300 days of sunshine, mass transit, and an outdoor paradise.

Offline dmerkow

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • Westerville's Philly Historian
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2007, 11:33:08 AM »
Agree for the most part, but I actually think that the decent ones that can survive will continue to do pretty well (see Kenwood Towne Center). I wouldn't be surprised that a small movement of folks will latch on to some malls in a sort of retro vibe, with Malls that can summon the 70s through early 90s, which was the peak era of mall culture.

Offline CincyDad

• New
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2007, 07:55:32 AM »
"I would agree, the suburban mall era is starting to come to an end."

This is bad news for parents.  From my experience, malls served America as the week-end baby-sitters of teenagers.  What will parents do if there are no malls near-by?

Offline xumelanie

• Premium Member
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2007, 08:05:12 AM »
[This is bad news for parents.  From my experience, malls served America as the week-end baby-sitters of teenagers.  What will parents do if there are no malls near-by?

What did parents and teenagers do before malls were built? 

I do not think there are enough things for teenagers to do.  I remember getting very bored at times when I was a teenager.

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2007, 11:19:38 AM »

This is bad news for parents.  From my experience, malls served America as the week-end baby-sitters of teenagers.  What will parents do if there are no malls near-by?
I'm not a father yet but I don't think I'd want my kids becoming mall rats. Even if it is a good babysitter on weekends. TV screens are good babysitters too and I've wasted too much of my childhood glued to one.
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline ragerunner

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2007, 11:56:49 AM »

Drop them off at the lifestyle center.
Colorado Front Range - 300 days of sunshine, mass transit, and an outdoor paradise.

Offline cincybearcat

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2007, 03:20:55 PM »
I don't think Tri-County is going anywhere, it lost one major store that has a new model and JCPenney stock price has reflected their change in business model. Now Cincinnati Mills and Northgate, who knows. Northgate seems old and outdated, not good with the new Towne Centre (SP? I don't know if we use old English or American English anymore).

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 11:16:40 AM »
but I actually think that the decent ones that can survive will continue to do pretty well (see Kenwood Towne Center).

Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 12:40:31 PM »
^^^ That looks like it was the Columbus City Center Sbarro.

edit: On second thought, no it's not.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 12:41:21 PM by GCrites80s »

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 12:43:17 PM »
Now Cincinnati Mills and Northgate, who knows. Northgate seems old and outdated, not good with the new Towne Centre (SP? I don't know if we use old English or American English anymore).

In the Cincinnati area, "town" always has a silent "e" for some reason.

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2007, 03:28:20 PM »
Mall opens up to vastly different uses
Amusement park fills department store space

BY LISA BIANK FASIG | CINCINNATI BUSINESS COURIER
November 23, 2007

IMAGE: The 50,000 square-foot Krazy City amusement park at Tri-County Mall occupies the second and third floors and includes carnival rides and a miniature golf course.
Courtesy of Krazy City

SPRINGDALE - Tri-County Mall is ready to take on the Tornado.

It's also prepared for the Velocity, a go-cart track and a 25-foot-high rock wall. That's because the Springdale shopping center, undergoing a massive renovation of a former anchor store, is in the midst of a whirlwind interior conversion.

Where its J.C. Penney anchor store once stood, architects and construction crews are reinforcing floors and blowing through ceilings. By late December, the Krazy City indoor amusement park, a $7 million undertaking that will include carnival rides, a miniature golf course, a 300-seat restaurant and a sand pit seeded with fossils - among other attractions - will open in the second and third floors of the former Penney.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:02:48 PM by Cygnus »

Offline The Nati Life

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2007, 09:06:36 AM »
And because Krazy City starts on the second level, its floors had to be strengthened to withstand the weight not only of the rides, but of the hundreds of people the 50,000-square-foot park can serve.

^Don't think they'll have to worry about that
"Those who govern, having much business on their hands, do not generally like to take the trouble of considering and carrying into execution new projects. The best public measures are therefore seldom adopted from previous wisdom, but forced by the occasion."
-Benjamin Franklin

Offline oakiehigh

• The majority of sprawl in this country is produced by those who are fleeing from sprawl.
  • 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2007, 07:40:51 PM »
^hahahah!
...there's a reason that Elm Street and Main Street resonate in our cultural memory. It's not because we're sentimental saps. It's because this pattern of human ecology produced places that worked wonderfully well, and which people deeply loved. - Jim Kunstler

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • www.cincystreetcar.tumblr.com
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2007, 10:00:44 AM »
didn't forest fair mall also try to have an indoor amuesment park?

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »
^ You'd think so by their carnival-style logo.

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2007, 12:39:40 PM »
Yeah, they have Wonderpark which is like Chuck-e-Cheese minus the mascot and plus a little rollercoaster thing.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2007, 12:06:58 AM »
Tri-County also opened their new glass atrium.  NEW GLASS ATRIUM!!!

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2008, 07:33:34 AM »
Springdale charts plan to revive aging retail row
City hopes ideas serve as road map for private investors

BY LAURA BAVERMAN | CINCINNATI BUSINESS COURIER
March 7, 2008

SPRINGDALE - A city of Springdale plan to revitalize its Tri-County retail corridor could spark as much as $100 million in redevelopment and include the repositioning of some properties as mixed-use centers.

Springdale nine months ago hired Covington architecture and planning consultant Kinzelman, Kline & Gossman to analyze demographic data and vacancy rates and to discuss the community's commercial viability with property owners, brokers and retailers. The firm and Springdale development director Jeff Tulloch will present initial findings and suggestions to City Council March 11. Officials hope to present plans to stakeholder groups by mid-April.

Among the ideas: provide new signage, streetscaping, transportation offerings, economic incentives and development guidelines to encourage private investment.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:03:23 PM by Cygnus »

Offline The Nati Life

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »
Mind-blowing stuff here.

Why don't they rename all of Sprindale "Krazy City" and have a bunch of carnival rides everywhere.  But then again, they'll have to reinforce the concrete floor to support 100s of customers.
"Those who govern, having much business on their hands, do not generally like to take the trouble of considering and carrying into execution new projects. The best public measures are therefore seldom adopted from previous wisdom, but forced by the occasion."
-Benjamin Franklin

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
I just visited Tri-County Mall and it's looking quite sad in there. There are a lot of vacancies, especially in the Sears wing. I was also puzzled by their decision to build new buildings on the outlots. Men's Warehouse and Starbucks have moved from inside the mall to one of the new buildings. If the mall is already starting to die, why would you build more retail space in front of the mall and poach your own tenants?
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »
Starbucks probably wanted to open earlier than 10am and have a drive thru.

Remove Ads