Author Topic: Dubai: Developments and News  (Read 111022 times)

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
Re: Boomtown Dubai
« Reply #385 on: January 04, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »
Burj Dubai Receives Opening Celebration — and New Name

At the opening of the Burj Dubai, the world’s tallest skyscraper, there were 10,000 fireworks, a dancing fountain, traditional Emirati dancers, skydivers and an impressive light show — but the biggest surprise of the evening came from Dubai’s ruler, Sheik Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum.

Shortly after making his signature entrance in his white G55 Mercedes, number plate 1, Sheik Mohammed stopped to make a brief speech, saying that the tower, which has so far been known as Burj Dubai, would be renamed Burj Khalifa, after the president of the United Arab Emirates and emir of Abu Dhabi, Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahayan.  It is perhaps the most expensive naming rights deal in history and likely a reward for Abu Dhabi’s $10 billion bailout of Dubai in December after the emirate admitted it was struggling to deal with more than $80 billion of debt.

More at http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/01/04/burj-dubai-receives-opening-celebration-and-new-name/
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. -- Vincent van Gogh (1853-90)

Offline Scrabble

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #386 on: January 09, 2010, 07:37:46 PM »

Offline Scrabble

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #387 on: January 09, 2010, 07:46:34 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Look on my works, ye Mighty
Jan 4th 2010
From Economist.com

The world’s tallest building opens in Dubai

At 828 metres (2,717 feet), the Burj Khalifa, which opened on Monday January 4th, dwarfs Taipei 101, which was previously the tallest tower anywhere, by 320 metres.  The tower has more than 160 floors and cost some $1.5 billion.  It is in danger, however, of being seen as the height of folly.  Construction began in 2004, when the economy of the United Arab Emirates was growing at 9.7%.  It is forecast to grow by just 2.4% this year and probably shrank by 0.2% in 2009.  This is not the first tower to be planned in the good times and then opened in a slump.  Countries home to many of the world's highest buildings (when they opened) saw their economies slump in the years between the start of construction and the official opening.  Our chart compares economic growth of the relevant country when a tower was opened, with the respective annual growth rate enjoyed half a decade earlier.

Full article at http://www.economist.com/research/articlesBySubject/displaystory.cfm?subjectid=7933596&story_id=15205024
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:32:22 PM by rider »

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #388 on: February 09, 2010, 01:30:36 PM »
World's tallest tower closed a month after opening
Published - Feb. 8, 2010 - 11:21AM EST
By ADAM SCHRECK - AP Business Writer

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — The world's tallest skyscraper has unexpectedly closed to the public a month after its lavish opening, disappointing tourists headed for the observation deck and casting doubt over plans to welcome its first permanent occupants in the coming weeks.

Electrical problems are at least partly to blame for the closure of the Burj Khalifa's viewing platform - the only part of the half-mile high tower open yet.  But a lack of information from the spire's owner left it unclear whether the rest of the largely empty building - including dozens of elevators meant to whisk visitors to the tower's more than 160 floors - was affected by the shutdown.

The indefinite closure, which began Sunday, comes as Dubai struggles to revive its international image as a cutting-edge Arab metropolis amid nagging questions about its financial health.  The Persian Gulf city-state had hoped the 2,717-foot (828-meter) Burj Khalifa would be a major tourist draw.  Dubai has promoted itself by wowing visitors with over-the-top attractions such as the Burj, which juts like a silvery needle out of the desert and can be seen from miles around.

Full article at http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/9000/10287992/Worlds_tallest_tower_closed_a_month_after_opening
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. -- Vincent van Gogh (1853-90)

Offline Scrabble

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #389 on: February 09, 2010, 03:15:21 PM »
I wonder how long it will take for Dubai to turn into a scene out of Mad Max.

Offline unusualfire

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #390 on: February 09, 2010, 04:05:16 PM »
WOW can it reach rock bottom???

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #391 on: February 09, 2010, 04:14:33 PM »
Well, keep in mind most large projects deal with issues.  The Empire State Buliding for a long time was once the Empty State Building; Disneyland didn't open exactly as planned; and EPCOT was a massive failure in the beginning.  This ain't new.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #392 on: March 28, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »
Researching this thread....

My wife has the offer to transfer to an affiliated school in Dubai- she's a teacher in Lorain, OH.  Right now the school administrator over there is considering her salary request.

If it's reasonable to her, she's going to accept. It's a temporary position, ending mid- June.

Offline unusualfire

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Re: Dubai: Developments and News
« Reply #394 on: February 20, 2015, 11:01:50 PM »
79-story apartment tower in Dubai engulfed in flames!!
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6724728
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #395 on: February 23, 2015, 06:27:10 AM »
79-story apartment tower in Dubai engulfed in flames!!
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6724728

The Torch tower, no less....
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #397 on: September 28, 2015, 09:42:51 AM »
the dubai marina seems to be the hotspot of development lately:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/hard-rock-hotel-set-open-in-dubai-marina-569580.html

also, i saw something about restarting a world's tallest residential tower, the pentominium, hows that for a moniker? not sure what happened or how that is going:

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/work-to-restart-on-world-s-tallest-residential-tower-2014-03-17-1.541834
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #398 on: December 19, 2015, 12:28:32 PM »
In reference to Star Wars-The Force Awakens being released this weekend, I bring you two photos. First, Galactic City:

Second, Dubai -- a photo from Doug Nagy....

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #399 on: December 20, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
In reference to Star Wars-The Force Awakens being released this weekend, I bring you two photos. First, Galactic City:

Second, Dubai -- a photo from Doug Nagy....

That looks like art not photography...
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #400 on: December 20, 2015, 08:53:08 PM »
It's quite real.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #401 on: December 31, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #402 on: February 12, 2016, 03:54:22 AM »
Building the largest mall in the world you have to make it a car free city with transit. https://t.co/tVo6icTZgP @theoverheadwire @nraford

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #403 on: March 20, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »
just incredible!

World’s first 3D-printed skyscraper to be built in UAE

'Through our technologies, we will be able to build architecturally complex buildings at never-before seen speeds'

A construction firm based in Dubai has announced plans to build the world’s first 3D-printed skyscraper.

The company, called Cazza, has confirmed that it will be erected in the United Arab Emirates.

It says it will use a new technique called “crane printing” to create the building.

Buildings have been 3D-printed before, with the key benefits being low costs and speedy completion REUTERS/Karim Sahib/Pool

more:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/3d-printed-skyscraper-worlds-first-built-uae-united-arab-emirates-cazza-crane-printing-a7629416.html

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #404 on: March 20, 2017, 01:44:30 PM »
Fewer slave laborers when you can 3D print it!

Offline TroyEros

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #405 on: March 20, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »
Never been to Dubai but from what I've seen on google street view, Dubai looks like the most artificial city I've ever seen. It's pretty much one main strip of really tall skyscrapers. The lack of intricate side streets and alley ways is a bummer. I'm sure it will change over the decades, but I'm not sure how this differentiates between say Vegas or other artificial cities other than the fact it's more business orientated regarding the skyscrapers being built.

IMO the city has a neat futuristic niche going but at this point everything currently about the city screams no character, nor a soul for that matter. Dubai looks like oil tycoon the city.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:55:44 PM by TroyEros »

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #406 on: March 20, 2017, 11:18:10 PM »
Never been to Dubai but from what I've seen on google street view, Dubai looks like the most artificial city I've ever seen. It's pretty much one main strip of really tall skyscrapers. The lack of intricate side streets and alley ways is a bummer. I'm sure it will change over the decades, but I'm not sure how this differentiates between say Vegas or other artificial cities other than the fact it's more business orientated regarding the skyscrapers being built.

IMO the city has a neat futuristic niche going but at this point everything currently about the city screams no character, nor a soul for that matter. Dubai looks like oil tycoon the city.

I've been to Dubai and no, Dubai is not all like that.  There is an actual city of Dubai that is more urban than almost every city in this country except New York/San Fran/CC Philly.  Al Ras alone is would change your opinion quick.  Now Sheikh Zayed, Jumeirah Beach, etc I'll agree with you that they are touristy (not just for oil tycoons but for European, African, and Asian tourists who don't want to fly to America for fun) and "soulless" but it serves a purpose, much like how Las Vegas and Orlando do in this country.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #407 on: March 20, 2017, 11:57:06 PM »
I'm really curious how Dubai is doing. I was intrigued back in '06 - '08 when I heard all about the economic and real estate boom and about all these cool buildings being proposed and the large scale, unique tourist attractions but there isn't much news about the city anymore. Seems reasonable to believe it's because they're not doing so well. Something tells me it has to do with the fact that they don't actually have freedom of speech and press in UAE and that the town is actually in an epic downward spiral. The government is able to get away with blocking the outside world from knowing about it.
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #408 on: March 21, 2017, 12:50:52 AM »
The bike race is a great way to get a better idea for the city...blink and you'll miss the BW3's at 29:57:

Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Qatar have been doing major multi-day races in January and February for about five years.  It's warm when Europe's cold and I'm sure the prize money is pretty big.  Traditionally this was the off season for pro biking except for the occasional race in Australia or South Africa. 

The Tour of Dubai is actually a pretty cool race because they get up in the arid mountains about 20 miles from the coast for a mountain stage and one or two of the stages end out on the Palm.  What this means is that an inland race in calm weather can all the sudden have nasty crosswinds for the sprint finish.  These guys are very scientific in how they plan out their energy exertion and so if they think they've got enough gas for the last 3 miles and all the sudden they hit a wall of wind all that discipline means nothing! 

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #409 on: March 22, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
^ thats a great view of dubai and that was pretty funny about the bw3.

that bw3 remineded me, i dk if cafe bene is in ohio, its a big mediocre knockoff starbucks coffeeshop chain, but i was poking around streetview in ulan bataar in mongolia for some reason and on the one street i zoomed on where they had any noted food/retail suddenly there was a brand new cafe bene shop. it was kind of shocking to see that. the city did seem to be booming, so maybe more of that kind of thing to come. i imagine its like that in the new dubai areas, like suddenly, oh look a kfc or burger king lol. i noticed a lock of bootleg knockoffs in central asia, like mac burger with the arches, so i bet they have that kind of thing too in these pop-up boomtown city places.

Remove Ads