Author Topic: Painesville / Lake County: Development and News  (Read 25290 times)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Re: Lake County: Development and News
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
Ironically, the Fairport, Painesville & Eastern Railroad is being reactivated and rebuilt to serve an unknown customer. FP&E was a shortline which links to the Fairport docks to the busy CSX and NS mainlines that run parallel to each other between Cleveland and Buffalo. Interesting.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline Deech

• 279'-First Energy Center

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2015, 01:32:47 PM »
It might be a little bit of a stretch to call this area an "historic district," but the railroad museum is good idea--

City interested in adding preservation district for Painesville Railroad Museum

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20150128/city-interested-in-adding-preservation-district-for-painesville-railroad-museum

"City officials in Painesville are looking at adding momentum to a local group’s efforts in preserving and restoring a historic railroad station.

Painesville Ward 1 Councilman Andrew Flock is gathering support on a proposal to establish a historic preservation district around Railroad Street, the Painesville Railroad Museum that sits along the brick street, all the land north of the street, and an 80-year-old restaurant that sits across the street from the museum."

I didn't know the Lincoln Funeral train was shipped in on a truck and placed on a fake track! It seems so Disney-ish :-P  But I guess it always attracts a lot of people and in this case gave a lot of attention to the proposed railroad museum. But still...

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:40:20 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »
Taste of Painesville--tonight 5 to 10pm...

...also, Cuzin's Soul Food opens! Steele Mansion's Carol Shamakian (center) recommended the collard greens and peach cobbler. lol
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:48:08 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2015, 12:48:29 PM »
new Mexican place in town: Hungry Jose's Taqueria. Although their profile picture does little to debunk Mexican stereotypes--lol

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »
this is good news--

Fairport Harbor Marine Museum undergoing significant restoration

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20151019/fairport-harbor-marine-museum-undergoing-significant-restoration

By Tawana Roberts, The News-Herald
POSTED: 10/19/15, 6:08 PM EDT | UPDATED: 2 HRS AGO 0

The Fairport Harbor Marine Museum is reconstructing the mast that has stood on its property since 1949.

A mast is a structure on a sailing vessel that holds up a sail, but is now being used as a flagpole at the museum.

“The mast is originally from the USS Michigan,” said John Ollila, Fairport Harbor Historical Society trustee. “The uniqueness of a USS Michigan is that it’s the first iron-hulled ship in the U.S. Navy.”

The Fairport Harbor museum, located at 129 Second St., houses and preserves artifacts related to life on the Great Lakes and other maritime exhibits. The museum is located 129 Second St.

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »
Grind Time Cafe & Bakery opens within Your Vine or Mine wine bar :drunk:(It's a small town. The have to consolidate businesses)

Offline plinth857

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2015, 10:00:40 PM »
^^ I wonder if anyone ever takes that tuba off the wall and plays it.  THAT would be worth the price of admission and more in my opinion.

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »
^^ I wonder if anyone ever takes that tuba off the wall and plays it.  THAT would be worth the price of admission and more in my opinion.
only if they're dressed like this. Between doughnuts and wine maybe they can squeeze in a bierstube.

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
DekHockey will be coming in May  :wtf:--

http://www.painesvilledekhockey.com/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:00:14 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 12:57:43 PM »
What are they there to learn? How not to run a school system?! Apparently a batch of Fulbright Scholars from Argentina also visited in the fall :wtf: Maybe the Painesville Schools are improving after decades of chronic slackerism (oh wait, that was just me). I think they're still the lowest ranked in Lake County (because of--among a multitude of excuses--the large number of English-as-a-second-language students; though obviously a good fit for educators from South America). Who knows how good the schools in Uruguay are :|--

Once again this year, Painesville City Local School District welcomes visiting Uruguayan Fulbright Scholars from the  Fulbright International Scholarship Program. This year, the district is host to four Fulbright Scholars who will spend two weeks in February working with and shadowing teachers and administrators in Painesville City Local Schools and visiting area colleges, schools and businesses.   

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 12:04:35 PM »
what?!?!? (I already tried the Coastal Living link in the article. It didn't work for me. I guess that's a bad omen :-()

Fairport Harbor Lakefront Park in contest for ‘Best Beach in America 2016’

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20160311/fairport-harbor-lakefront-park-in-contest-for-best-beach-in-america-2016

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »
^Best in America?  No question! Fairport Harbor Beach is better than anything like Miami Beach or LA.

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2016, 01:39:47 PM »
It might be a little bit of a stretch to call this area an "historic district," but the railroad museum is good idea--

City interested in adding preservation district for Painesville Railroad Museum

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20150128/city-interested-in-adding-preservation-district-for-painesville-railroad-museum

"City officials in Painesville are looking at adding momentum to a local group’s efforts in preserving and restoring a historic railroad station.

Painesville Ward 1 Councilman Andrew Flock is gathering support on a proposal to establish a historic preservation district around Railroad Street, the Painesville Railroad Museum that sits along the brick street, all the land north of the street, and an 80-year-old restaurant that sits across the street from the museum."

If anyone is interested there's a fundraiser to benefit the RR museum tonight. As you can see it's not exactly black-tie. It looks like they're really making substantial  progress on this project--

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2016, 12:58:10 PM »
DekHockey will be coming in May  :wtf:--

http://www.painesvilledekhockey.com/

Dek Hockey premiers!

and little did I realize up until a few weeks ago that just steps from me on Sunday afternoons a form of this game (sans official rink) is played in Tompkins Square Park (but due to ongoing arthritic considerations it's unlikely I'll become a participant :laugh:)--
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:58:57 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2016, 01:14:34 PM »
just a few pictures of recent progress of the Painesville Railroad Museum (formerly the old train depot--1893). They don't have much of a budget and don't know when it officially opens, but it looks good--

Offline ts60

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2016, 08:45:52 PM »
Did the construction project Lake Erie College planned for the old Harvey high school lot ever start? I am not able to swing that way often, but I haven't heard anything for quite a long time.

Anyone know where some renders of it could be found?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 04:28:59 PM »
Close enough....

Unionville Tavern -- Ohio's oldest -- on path to restoration (photos and video)
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/08/unionville_tavern_ohios_oldest.html

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »
Did the construction project Lake Erie College planned for the old Harvey high school lot ever start? I am not able to swing that way often, but I haven't heard anything for quite a long time.

Anyone know where some renders of it could be found?
no, and I'm not even sure Lake Erie has even acquired that property yet. I think they are planning more dorms for that site, no? I don't think the immediate neighbors are too happy about that, but the high school was there for almost ninety years (although those kids went home for the day--lol). Maybe you know more about this than I do. Also, I think there was once a cemetery on that site before the school was built.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2016, 09:43:33 PM »
Close enough....

Unionville Tavern -- Ohio's oldest -- on path to restoration (photos and video)
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/08/unionville_tavern_ohios_oldest.html

Just an FYI, Newcom's Tavern in Dayton was built in 1796, two years prior to Unionville Tavern.  Unless they mean "(formerly) still in use?"
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 12:23:48 PM »
tomorrow--

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Painesville / Lake County: Development and News
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2017, 02:08:01 PM »
this is good to see, though the Railfest to which its referring will be at Lakeland Community College, not the museum--

A brighter Painesville Railroad Museum will host 2017 Railfest feast (photos, video)

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/03/a_brighter_painesville_railroad_museum_will_host_2017_railfest_feast_photos_video.html

PAINESVILLE, Ohio—"Brighter light will shine Saturday on the yearly Railfest banquet at the Painesville Railroad Museum.
Instead of temporary lights, new Victorian-style chandeliers will light up original hardwood beams at this 1893 station. Instead of boards and stained plexiglass, new acrylic will reveal the evening light through a massive bay window."

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2017, 02:20:35 PM »
luxury living...in Fairport Harbor??:| (good thing they cleaned up the river :-P)

Developer releases artist’s renderings of Fairport Harbor’s South Pointe on the River development

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20170324/NEWS/170329655

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:22:00 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 01:27:44 PM »
this looks like more fun than a person has a right to have, doesn't it? :| Since half the people in Painesville are still living in the 70's it won't seem like such a trip down mem'ry lane--lol (kidding :roll:)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2017, 03:02:56 PM »
Very sad....

The Lake County commissioners approved a bid to remove asbestos from the building ahead of its demolition in June.
http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20170511/lake-county-commissioners-ok-asbestos-removal-bid-ahead-of-dorthy-allen-building-demolition

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2017, 03:13:50 PM »
Why demo?  It looks like a nice building.  Seems to be in good shape too.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »
Damaged by fire, per the article. Either the owner didn't want to rebuild, didn't have fire insurance or the county gave him an he couldn't refuse.

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »
this is disgusting. In recent years this was regarded as a historic building worth preserving. It became the location of a popular casual restaurant and a place where various community organizations met, mainly a senior citizens center, but suffered a severe fire a few years ago from which it was never completely restored. The county purchased it for practically nothing, and wanted it to expand and consolidate government services, which are located in a former Cleveland Trust Bank building nearby. In the 60's the structure was a Sears store (back when is was still Sears, Roebuck & Co.!), the interior of which looked like something from the Depression well into the 60's when it closed and downtown was being drained of retail as a result of changing demographics in Mentor. We shopped a lot there because we couldn't afford fancy Carlisle's (aka Carlisle-Allen Co) across the park--lol. I found this video of a Memorial Day Parade in 1929 (I posted this ages ago) in which you can see a brief one second glimpse of the building at 2:01--when it was practically new! (and when downtown was a lively place!--well before even my time :-()

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »
just a few pictures of recent progress of the Painesville Railroad Museum (formerly the old train depot--1893). They don't have much of a budget and don't know when it officially opens, but it looks good--

Painesville Railroad Museum officially opens. Still very much a work in progress. I didn't think they would get this far!

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/05/painesville_railroad_museum_ce.html

Remove Ads