Poll

How many games will the Cavaliers win in the 2016-17 season?

70 or more
4 (22.2%)
60-69
12 (66.7%)
50-59
2 (11.1%)
40-49
0 (0%)
Fewer than 40
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: November 05, 2016, 02:09:38 PM

Author Topic: Cleveland Cavs Discussion  (Read 751912 times)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Re: Cleveland Cavs Discussion
« Reply #8225 on: February 24, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
I recorded that chase down block last night and posted it on Facebook a few minutes later. It was a thing of beauty.
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #8226 on: February 24, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
I recorded that chase down block last night and posted it on Facebook a few minutes later. It was a thing of beauty.

His mastery of that tactic has probably lifted his D enough that he may now be considered the GOAT.  Especially when you consider that Jordan had dispensations well beyond "superstar rules" when the NBA needed his marketability desperately.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline AmrapinVA

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #8227 on: February 24, 2017, 10:45:43 AM »

His mastery of that tactic has probably lifted his D enough that he may now be considered the GOAT.  Especially when you consider that Jordan had dispensations well beyond "superstar rules" when the NBA needed his marketability desperately.

If the Cavs beat GSW again with Durant it's not even a question about GOAT anymore. Jordan never faced a team with that level of talent in his career. The 80s Celtics and the 90s Pistons, Rockets, Jazz and Knicks aren't even close. No disrespect to those teams either, it's just a matter of fact.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:47:20 AM by AmrapinVA »

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8228 on: February 24, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »
LeBron's block was a thing of beauty just like his much more important Game 7 saving block on Iguodala  -- of which I have the black T-shirt immortalizing it.  Thompson has also suddenly become a shot-blocking machine since the playoffs.  He had 4 last night and the team total was 10; at least tying a team record, I believe.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #8229 on: February 24, 2017, 11:05:12 AM »
LeBron's block was a thing of beauty just like his much more important Game 7 saving block on Iguodala  -- of which I have the black T-shirt immortalizing it.  Thompson has also suddenly become a shot-blocking machine since the playoffs.  He had 4 last night and the team total was 10; at least tying a team record, I believe.

Tristan was shutting down Rose so well his Twitter nickname was "Meniuscus".
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8230 on: February 24, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »

Tristan was shutting down Rose so well his Twitter nickname was "Meniuscus".

OUCH  :-D
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Online Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #8231 on: March 01, 2017, 12:36:02 PM »
With virtually no trade assets, Griff restocked the bench with Korver, both DWills, and Bogut. Give him Exec of the Year Award now.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #8232 on: March 01, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »

If the Cavs beat GSW again with Durant it's not even a question about GOAT anymore. Jordan never faced a team with that level of talent in his career. The 80s Celtics and the 90s Pistons, Rockets, Jazz and Knicks aren't even close. No disrespect to those teams either, it's just a matter of fact.

Cleveland Cavaliers players, coaches react to news of Kevin Durant's knee injury

Cleveland Cavaliers players and coaches reacted Wednesday to news that Golden State Warriors All-Star Kevin Durant will be out of action for about a month after he sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee and bruised a bone in his leg earlier this week.

As the Cavs prepared for tonight's game in Boston against the Celtics, LeBron James said of the news: "I hope it's not serious. We'll see what happens."

The Warriors said Wednesday they have not ruled Durant out to return before the end of the regular season.

Durant hyperextended his knee early in the Warriors' 112-108 loss to the Wizards on Tuesday. He later underwent an MRI, which revealed a Grade 2, sprain in the knee and a bruised tibia.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/03/cleveland_cavaliers_players_co.html#incart_m-rpt-1
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:43:22 PM by musky »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #8233 on: March 04, 2017, 08:41:05 AM »
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8234 on: March 06, 2017, 10:42:55 PM »
Andrew Bogut breaks his leg just 58 seconds into his debut as Cavs' D once again waves the red cape defensively in losing to the (currently) Lottery Heat for the 2nd straight time.  To add salt in the wound, the previously slumping Dion Waiters torches us in the 1st half then banks in a 3-point dagger to close out the game... Too many guys are having career nights against the Cavs.  We have no defensive ball pressure, aren't covering the 3-point line and are getting pick 'n rolled as if its going out of style.  Now just 20 games left and our D is as bad as its been all year.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #8235 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »
The Cavaliers are catching some static for sitting the Big Three Saturday for the Clippers game.   Iím going to say Good For Them.  If you donít like the league scheduling back to back road games for the higher end teams, itís one thing to complain.  Itís more effective to strike back, which sitting them out of the TV game in LA most certainly did.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8236 on: March 20, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
^ I think this is some passive aggressive work to shorten the season as well.  Almost all players want a shortened regular season.  Im sure most coaches do as well.  Owners probably not because of the money, and NBA probably not because of the money.  In all reality, playing each team in your conference 3 times (3*14=42)...and playing each team in the other conference twice (2*15=30)...would shorten the season 10 games...which is probably about the rest the players want anyway.  For whatever reason, they a fourth game with 10 other conference opponents in. A 72 game season would probably go a long way in terms of rest and eliminating back to backs.

Conversely, if the season was shortened 10 games, it wouldnt be as easy for people like Lebron to break scoring, assist and Rebounding records

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #8237 on: March 20, 2017, 03:59:03 PM »
^ I think this is some passive aggressive work to shorten the season as well.  Almost all players want a shortened regular season.  Im sure most coaches do as well.  Owners probably not because of the money, and NBA probably not because of the money.  In all reality, playing each team in your conference 3 times (3*14=42)...and playing each team in the other conference twice (2*15=30)...would shorten the season 10 games...which is probably about the rest the players want anyway.  For whatever reason, they a fourth game with 10 other conference opponents in. A 72 game season would probably go a long way in terms of rest and eliminating back to backs.

Conversely, if the season was shortened 10 games, it wouldnt be as easy for people like Lebron to break scoring, assist and Rebounding records

More interested in spacing than shortening, I suspect.   And prioritizing.   You may have to schedule an Eastern team to play back to back in LA in March, but make it someone unlikely to make the playoffs.   Not the defending champs with a 13 year veteran superstar.

Nothing "passive" about it.   They could have picked either game and picked the national TV one.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:59:23 PM by E Rocc »
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #8238 on: March 20, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »
^NBA season is already too long.  Finals ends in June and regular season schedule starts just four months later.  They can't really space it out any better. 
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8239 on: March 20, 2017, 09:39:09 PM »

More interested in spacing than shortening, I suspect.   And prioritizing.   You may have to schedule an Eastern team to play back to back in LA in March, but make it someone unlikely to make the playoffs.   Not the defending champs with a 13 year veteran superstar.

Nothing "passive" about it.   They could have picked either game and picked the national TV one.

I'm sure the players were told, you are sitting out one of the next two games...which one?  They aren't going to sit out the Lakers game. Even though they suck compared to the Clippers and they play in the same building.  I can't imagine them sitting out the lakers game.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #8240 on: March 22, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
Goosebumps....

"The Block"

By Richard Jefferson:

https://twitter.com/SN_Ohio/status/844356008025735170

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8241 on: March 22, 2017, 08:52:04 PM »
Korver back tonight.

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8242 on: March 23, 2017, 09:22:15 AM »
Defense still not back last night

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8243 on: March 23, 2017, 11:14:53 AM »
^Chris Fedor in today's PD noted this is Thompson's first full season at the 5, but he appears to be wearing down.  Frye was even worse last night -- a disaster in the paint, and neither got a lot of help from Love.  Maybe Sanders can give us a tad bit of help in the paint, but we shouldn't count on it.  Fedor correctly tabbed Sanders as a "Wild Card."  Cavs have their work cut out for them and only 12 games/3 weeks till postseason.

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8244 on: March 23, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »
... oh and did I mention that, within the course of a week, the Cavs will dine on a diet of Washington (a very tough opponent who, in our last meeting in D.C., we squeaked by in a thrilling OT game on a desperation tying 3 by LeBron to force OT), the Bulls, who we have yet to beat (although pesky D. Wade is out for the season), and San Antonio, which even without LeMarcus Aldridge, will still be a royal pain... and, oh yeah, Boston is just 1 game behind us with the Wizards, who we go head-to-head with, Saturday, not far behind.  Oy!

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8245 on: March 23, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
I'm still not concerned with seeding. A lebron team has won a road game in like 20 something straight playoff series. But the bigger issue is how in the world they are losing to this podunk teams with no name guys? I mean it just makes no sense that a team of stars and veterans can eat night in and night out humiliated like that. Anyway, I think the Cavs like going into the playoffs with people doubting them, it seems like they are more comfortable like tht

Online Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #8246 on: March 23, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »
I honestly think they are just not motivated at this point.  I won't start to be concerned until the lack of defensive intensity carries into the playoffs.  That is where we are lacking at the moment.  We are a team that thrives on effort on the defensive end, not so much system.  I personally don't want them burning themselves out over the course of the last 12 games of the season.  Cruise into the playoffs and then flip the switch.  The playoffs are so damn long (2 full months), they have those first two rounds to get things rolling again.  It's not a talent issue, it's not a chemistry issue, it's not an issue with the ability to score.  Their recent issues have been all about lack of defense.  They've probably grown tired of getting the other team's best shot night in and night out.  I realize that may say something negative about the team.

Online Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #8247 on: March 28, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »
I'm officially concerned.  This downward spiral is unsettling.  I thought it was just a hiccup.  There seems to be larger issues here.  Not confident at all going into this post-season.

Online BelievelandD1

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8248 on: March 28, 2017, 02:40:28 PM »
^the way i look at it is they were in probably the worst scenario you could be in, down 3-1 to the best NBA team ever, with no home court and dug out of that.  I think their mentality is that they can so whatever they want, when they want...and based on his post game presser last night, he doesnt seem too concerned.  my question is, are they actually that bad at defense or are the conserving energy on that ened and not giving 100% because they have a somewhat aging roster and they dont want to burn out.  i dont really know.  One thing ive learned about Lebron and his teams, there have been so many times you want to sell his stock becuase of spurts like this...and then he proves everyone wrong.  Part of me wonders if he likes the media and everyone counting him out...like he plays better that way or something

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #8249 on: March 28, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »
There doesn't appear to be enough communicating and coordinating the various defensive assignments. That usually happens when there's a number of new players and the existing players who have been injured haven't had enough games together to know their roles and tendencies yet.

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8250 on: March 28, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »
My brother has been concerned that the Cavs were old -- to his credit, he's been saying this since we won the title... And they look old and slow, ever since the Houston game where, I was proud of them even in losing because they left it all on the floor in a close battle and, at the time, had a legitimate excuse for "tired legs."  Last night was truly the low point of the season, but I don't think we've 'quit' as I've heard some people saying.

Now we really need to forget about Boston and Washington for the best record, and focus on protecting our players.  LeBron has literally been taking a beating and done practically all the heavy lifting for the team of late -- especially last night, where Thompson's 11 points were the only other double-digits... I would not object to sitting 23 for several games down the stretch.  Starting a series on another team's floor shouldn't be a huge deal for this team -- still the deepest and most talented in the East (and maybe the League).  We just need to enter the playoffs with all our troops healthy.

Online Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #8251 on: March 28, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »
They do keep getting older and more perimeter oriented.  One thing that doesn't get discussed is they should've paid Delly.  He brought that toughness and grit to our perimeter defense that has been lacking all year.  He stabilized the bench bunch, made numerous momentum swinging play, and was often on the floor in crunch time.  Mozgov was not as valuable IMO, but it was nice to have him when we played against the bigger, more physical teams.

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #8252 on: March 28, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »
Cavs are bored out of their minds. And they truly believe it doesn't matter where they place in the playoff picture. You are going to see minimal effort for the rest of the regular season as they prepare for the playoffs. Let's hope they are right.
live small  dream big

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #8253 on: March 29, 2017, 11:47:43 AM »
^ yeah they sure are sandbagging it -- only 9 regular season games to go.

korver's foot, shump's knee, jr's progress, that love guy, and then tristan and lebron's mega minutes all need to be resolved somehow.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/29/15105072/cavaliers-nba-playoffs-2017-lebron-james-worried
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #8254 on: April 05, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »
Apparently TT didn't travel with the team to Boston...

Tristan Thompson's MRI is precautionary though his 447 consecutive played game streak in jeopardy. Cavs have recalled Larry Sanders from D-League.
https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/849622269194256384

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #8255 on: April 05, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »
^ Test was negative and Thompson could still fly to Boston and keep his streak alive. Sanders has been called up and will be available tonight.

Online Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
« Reply #8256 on: April 05, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
TT is out tonight.  AC Green's streak is safe for another generation.

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #8257 on: April 05, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
^ And seing that TT is dating a Kardashian he will not be breaking A C Greens other streak either :-D
live small  dream big

Online CBC

• Just a Gigalo in the "Real Housewives of Cleveland!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8258 on: April 06, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »
Sooooo the Cavs turned it on last night and demolished Boston, on the second night of a back to back, which they were 0-9 for the year as the away team.

That was good to see, apparently the plan is to do just enough for the 1st seed in the east.  Barring any major injury, who is a serious challenge for them in the East? They have had their problems with Washington and Chicago, Toronto and Boston are pretty good, but I don't see anybody taking more than 1 or 2 games in a series.
If I were a color, I'd be bitter brown. As in Cleveland Browns fan bitter....

Offline CleveFan

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #8259 on: April 09, 2017, 08:28:12 PM »
Ok anybody just a little worried now after two abysmal losses to Atlanta?  Everybody still think they'll just "flip the switch" in the playoffs?  Other than LBJ I don't believe they're mentally strong enough this year - hope I'm wrong....

Remove Ads