Author Topic: Off Topic  (Read 922545 times)

Online BigDipper 80

• 574'-Carew Tower
Re: Off Topic
« Reply #10150 on: September 07, 2017, 08:09:49 PM »
I have a theory that the more a website looks like its interface was last refreshed in 1998, the better the quality of the information on that website. Every hyper-detailed website related to specific, esoteric interests/hobbies (particularly transportation and roadfanning type stuff) looks impossibly old, and I've found it to be a pretty good sign of whether the information on the website is high-quality or not. It's not like these websites are necessarily "dead and forgotten" either; there's still some webmaster sitting around uploading photos of Dayton trolleybuses and highway bridges of Minnesota in 2017, but the look of the website itself never changes. Now I don't know if it's because these folks are more interested in just disseminating their information and don't really want to bother with updating the website or what, but I just think it's interesting. Obviously, it takes a lot of time to refresh the look of your site and I'm certainly not faulting any of these people for the looks of their sites, but it's just an interesting observation that these sites probably came online in the very early days of the internet and still stick around, virtually unchanged from the day they were launched. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:59:37 PM by BigDipper 80 »

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #10151 on: September 07, 2017, 08:56:48 PM »
It's easier to screw up and create a difficult-to-use interface using today's tools. An old style nav on the top and/or side link structure is hard to screw up unless the creator's mind is screwed up. haha

For example, Tim Brown's and jmecklenborg's roadgeek sites are straight up 1998 and have lots of good S**t. There is a NY-based roadgeek to remain nameless's site that I can't stand to navigate since it uses a somewhat modern design that is executed very poorly IMO simply because it can be. There's some decent content on there, but good luck finding it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:01:39 PM by GCrites80s »

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #10152 on: September 07, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »
That's a pretty good theory. The reason I got interested in urban planning, transit, and other related topics is by reading various website like @jmecklenborg's http://cincinnati-transit.net/ and UrbanOhio. Since it required a bit of effort to publish a website 10+ years ago, it weeded out people who weren't willing to put in the work.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #10153 on: September 12, 2017, 12:14:21 PM »
The three longest roads in the USA and four of the top six pass through Cuyahoga County.  The top three all pass through downtown Cleveland.

"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #10154 on: September 12, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »

The three longest roads in the USA and four of the top six pass through Cuyahoga County.  The top three all pass through downtown Cleveland.

On a related note, my wife and I took a road trip via US42 a couple of weeks ago. We started at the corner of West 25th and Detroit Avenue and head south to its southern terminus in Louisville, Kentucky. Took about 11 hours (vs the 4+ hours on the way back via I71)

Online BigDipper 80

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #10155 on: September 12, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »

This is pretty obvious on a map of the US, but you can reach nearly every major metro in the country just by picking one of the interstates that passes through Ohio and riding it all the way to the end. The I-10, corridor and SoCal are the two major exceptions, and a few other random metros throughout the south and Plains states.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #10156 on: September 12, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »

On a related note, my wife and I took a road trip via US42 a couple of weeks ago. We started at the corner of West 25th and Detroit Avenue and head south to its southern terminus in Louisville, Kentucky. Took about 11 hours (vs the 4+ hours on the way back via I71)

I've been tempted to do part of that (to West Jefferson where my dad lives) but maybe not with a six year old in the car asking "how much longer??!" every few minutes.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10157 on: September 15, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
RIP Cassini.  Been a wild ride.

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #10158 on: September 15, 2017, 10:55:53 AM »
Jesus. Just heard a huge bang noise and knew it couldn't be anything good. I looked out my window at Cedar Rd and Cottage grove Av. and saw this. A truck slammed into an 18 wheeler at a red light right in front of my house in Cleveland Hts. I called 9/11 to let them know what happened, in case no one else had called them before. I was particularly concerned and felt compelled to call them after seeing that no one involved in the wreck actually got out of their car. The fire department came soon after and sprinkled some sort of powder around the truck. I don't know what that was about but I'm curious what the hell that was. They're currently huddled around the truck for some reason. I have a feeling that the guy in the truck didn't make it out alive  :cry: I hope everyone is okay.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=n560k8&s=9#.Wbvs4YWcHug
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:59:02 AM by David »
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Online eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10159 on: September 17, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »
I dunno, the NY Times liked it, sort of :| (although admittedly I didn't understand half of the review). Maybe it's payback to Jennifer Lawrence for her ridiculous comments about Trump and hurricanes the other week :wink:

‘Mother!’ Is the Worst Movie of the Year, Maybe Century
By Rex Reed • 09/15/17 3:00pm

http://observer.com/2017/09/darren-aronofsky-mother-worst-movie-of-the-year/

"This delusional freak show is two hours of pretentious twaddle that tackles religion, paranoia, lust, rebellion, and a thirst for blood in a circus of grotesque debauchery to prove that being a woman requires emotional sacrifice and physical agony at the cost of everything else in life, including life itself. That may or may not be what Aronofsky had in mind, but it comes as close to a logical interpretation as any of the other lunk-headed ideas I’ve read or heard. The reviews, in which a group of equally pretentious critics frustratingly search for a deeper meaning, are even nuttier than the film itself. Using descriptions like “hermeneutic structure,” “phantasmagoric fantasia,” “cinematic Rorsach test” and “extended scream of existential rage,” they sure know how to leave you laughing."

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10160 on: September 17, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
I went looking for the perfect "Mother" cover to follow-up that post. 

Instead, I found this guy covering "Little Whip", probably the third-tackiest Danzig song behind She Rides and the above-mentioned Mother.  The dude doesn't even bother to tune the guitar, plus he messes up a solid 6-7 times:

Remove Ads