Author Topic: The Official *I Love Cleveland* Thread  (Read 462238 times)

STRIVE2THRIVE, Klingaling87 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: The Official *I Love Cleveland* Thread
« Reply #2765 on: July 10, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
Cool video. It really captures the vibe!  The Flats are awesome. I really need to make time to go down there soon. It's therapeutic :)

There's nothing like it along the Scioto or Ohio River :)

It's weird to me that so much attention is paid to the East bank. You get such an awesome view of Downtown Cleveland from the west side  :-P

I'd really like to experience Cleveland like that on boat. Sadly, I've never had the opportunity. Those are really beautiful views of the city. My favorite footage is on Lake Eerie in front of the Rock Hall! That would be so cool to experience that in person.  Hopefully one day soon :)

East Bank is newer, and was also where the Flats resurgence began during the late 80s and early 90s.  The West Bank (Shooters et al) came in later, and is now older.

Yes David, E Rocc is right.  You may not have been here a decade or so ago when the East Bank was totally dead.  It was torn down in hopes of the development that Fairmount/Wolstein has not built but, because of legal and financing hassles, it was in doubt.  And people were depressed remembering the good old days of the 1980s and 90s.  The West Bank has pretty much been the same, esp with Shooters being the lone holdout -- along with Odeon, now, reborn on the East Bank.
Odeon was always East Bank

I know.  I just meant that, like Shooters on the West, Odeon on the East was a holdover from the olden days.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #2766 on: July 10, 2017, 06:55:14 PM »
Cool video. It really captures the vibe!  The Flats are awesome. I really need to make time to go down there soon. It's therapeutic :)

There's nothing like it along the Scioto or Ohio River :)

It's weird to me that so much attention is paid to the East bank. You get such an awesome view of Downtown Cleveland from the west side  :-P

I'd really like to experience Cleveland like that on boat. Sadly, I've never had the opportunity. Those are really beautiful views of the city. My favorite footage is on Lake Eerie in front of the Rock Hall! That would be so cool to experience that in person.  Hopefully one day soon :)

East Bank is newer, and was also where the Flats resurgence began during the late 80s and early 90s.  The West Bank (Shooters et al) came in later, and is now older.

Yes David, E Rocc is right.  You may not have been here a decade or so ago when the East Bank was totally dead.  It was torn down in hopes of the development that Fairmount/Wolstein has not built but, because of legal and financing hassles, it was in doubt.  And people were depressed remembering the good old days of the 1980s and 90s.  The West Bank has pretty much been the same, esp with Shooters being the lone holdout -- along with Odeon, now, reborn on the East Bank.

To a large degree, the east bank was killed by overzealous "enforcement", possibly to help pave the way for that development.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2767 on: July 16, 2017, 03:03:33 PM »
Cleveland, once called the mistake on the lake, is on the cusp of cool

By Fran Golden
July 16, 2017 6:00 AM

I am sitting on the deck of a once-derelict building that is now the city's trendiest microbrewery, watching the sun set over old smokestacks, the arches of early 20th century bridges and a river that once burned, and I am thinking that something intriguing is happening in Cleveland.

The city is getting, uh, cool. Cleveland? Yes, Cleveland.

Count me among the most surprised to see amazing stuff happening in the Rust Belt. I fell for a local guy and moved here a few years ago, a baby boomer who spent 30 years in Boston, which in my mind is the center of the universe.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-cleveland-20170716-story.html

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2768 on: August 12, 2017, 02:08:39 AM »
I Chose Cleveland Over My Ex-Boyfriend, and I Have No Regrets

August 11, 2017
By Jeanne Li

Cleveland is my city, my home, my direction. But for Dean, Cleveland is filled with bad memories he needs to escape. He’s lived here his whole life. He thinks he's maxed out the possibilities for new friendships and connections. He hates the small-town feel and that you can bump into a friend or acquaintance anywhere, which I adore. He needs something new, needs to leave to find purpose. I need to stay.

I don’t really believe in fate, but I can only describe my time in Cleveland as one of magical serendipity. I first came to Cleveland on a whim in August 2007 to attend Case Western Reserve University. It was wonderful. I met my best friend. I got a great education. And I met Dean, who was one of the first guys to message me on OkCupid. Compared to the usual “hey girl, sup” notes, his several-paragraphs-long message was intriguing. We met at a bar a week later and shut the place down.

https://www.self.com/story/i-chose-cleveland-over-my-ex
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2769 on: August 12, 2017, 02:38:55 AM »
On a whim to attend Case? I don't think that's how their application process works.

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #2770 on: August 12, 2017, 09:13:46 AM »
^^In general, a good article, though I didn't like her characterizing Cleveland as 'small town'.  Also this: 

"In Cleveland, I feel like I can make a difference. This is as opposed to big-time cities I've lived in before, like Chicago, Atlanta, and Columbus, where I felt lost and invisible. "

I don't know if I'd consider Atlanta "big-time", but Columbus????

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #2771 on: August 12, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »

"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline ws966112

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #2772 on: August 14, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »
Cleveland development corporations buy, flip abandoned homes to improve neighborhoods

Awesome stuff!!

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #2773 on: August 16, 2017, 04:12:44 PM »
I Chose Cleveland Over My Ex-Boyfriend, and I Have No Regrets

August 11, 2017
By Jeanne Li

Cleveland is my city, my home, my direction. But for Dean, Cleveland is filled with bad memories he needs to escape. He’s lived here his whole life. He thinks he's maxed out the possibilities for new friendships and connections. He hates the small-town feel and that you can bump into a friend or acquaintance anywhere, which I adore. He needs something new, needs to leave to find purpose. I need to stay.

I don’t really believe in fate, but I can only describe my time in Cleveland as one of magical serendipity. I first came to Cleveland on a whim in August 2007 to attend Case Western Reserve University. It was wonderful. I met my best friend. I got a great education. And I met Dean, who was one of the first guys to message me on OkCupid. Compared to the usual “hey girl, sup” notes, his several-paragraphs-long message was intriguing. We met at a bar a week later and shut the place down.

https://www.self.com/story/i-chose-cleveland-over-my-ex

I'm pretty sure you can bump into a friend or acquaintance anywhere in bigger cities.  Regardless, I don't feel that happens often enough in Cleveland to put it as a primary characteristic of the city.  I just ran into a HS classmate of mine I haven't seen in 20 years.  He lives about 5 blocks away from me.  I actually rarely run into people I know.... at least not in places I would not expect to find them.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2774 on: August 16, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
I always feel that someone who is uncomfortable with a place because they might run into people they know probably has bigger problems than that place itself, at least if we're talking the scale of a city.  Likely, they'll eventually find themselves not wanting to run into people they know wherever they go.

edit- I bet their FB feed is full of "people so fake" memes.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:53:07 PM by X »

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #2775 on: August 16, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »
I went to an Indians game a couple weeks back with my girlfriend and her co-workers at Cleveland Neighborhood Progress. It was really cool because it was my first Indians game. I've only been to Reds games, prior. I also got to meet all of my girlfriend's coworkers that she always raves about. I had a really good time! We were playing the Angels.

Honestly, I was really surprised at how good the food was, at Progressive. I imagine Cleveland Neighborhood Progress probably got a discount on the tickets that managed to be only $25 but I actually spent double that, just on the awesome food. Before we sat at our seats, I bought us both burritos at Ohio City burritos and in the 8th inning and they were delicious. After a long, boring game, I decided to get up to get us nachos. Low and behold, I decided to go on an excursion for nachos from this place we went to in Tremont over a year ago that I can't think the name of, for the life of me, right now. I didn't get much sleep last night and my memory is shot.  It's driving me nuts. After I got up in the 8th inning to get those nachos, we ended up scoring 7-8 runs and I missed the whole thing! I think the nachos were actually worth it, though. I did get to experience at least some of the glory when I made it back to my seat.

That's so typically Cleveland, though. Gloriously making a come-back, at the last minute. We did the same thing, with the last Indians game I saw - CLE vs. the Colorado Rockies.  Grand slams/ home runs at the last minute, when we were down and it seemed like all hope was lost. Cleveland is the comeback-kid  8-) It's fun to get to be a part of it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:15:44 PM by David »
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #2776 on: Yesterday at 03:30:02 PM »
^ sounds like a nice time. why were you surprized about how good the food was? dont you go very often? all ballparks have upped their food games quite considerably. a hotdog is fine for me, but im sure not complaining about all the options.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline originaljbw

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • Livin in the OB!
« Reply #2777 on: Yesterday at 11:01:14 PM »
Yeah the food has gotten progresively better ever year since I've lived here. Except for the cargo boxes in the upper deck they have done a pretty good job making the ballpark a microcosm of cleveland for everyone to try.
-Mea Gloria Fides-

Remove Ads