Author Topic: Cleveland: Random Development News & Info  (Read 1097801 times)

Offline X

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #4620 on: May 17, 2017, 12:07:19 AM »
Make sure you're on the 1874 map.  Click the 4 squares arranged in a grid to bring up the "basemap gallery".  And remember that Carnegie was "Ohio Street" in 1874.  Also, they spelled it "Plumb" in 1874, but not in later maps, when it was "Plum".
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:08:53 AM by X »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4621 on: May 17, 2017, 12:30:44 AM »
Got it, thanks. But that's not Bay Street now. It's 13th Street, right? The application says it would vacate Bay Street, formerly Plum Street. Still confused.
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline RMB

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #4622 on: May 17, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »
I don't totally agree with you KJP in that the idea of supply and demand would say that adding more supply eventually will meet demand. if it exceed demand, rents will go down. That said, I think you are saying that the supply still has not met, and certainly not exceeded demand. I agree. This particular tower wouldn't stop Nucleus. We will get to that point one day.

I would like to think we're getting close to a critical mass around E9th and Euclid.  There is starting to be a palpable energy at most times of the day and with Leader, Garfield, Halle coming online I hope it will continue.  I think there is a point where you start to get an increase in demand because enough people live there.  People move to new york and chicago simply because there are lots of other people to meet there and their friends are all moving there.  This has not been the case in Cleveland, but if we can get to that point it could get exciting.  I wonder how far off we are from rents justifying new construction?  Or maybe we are close but demand concerns are lingering?

Online Oldmanladyluck

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #4623 on: May 17, 2017, 01:07:56 PM »
^I think the threshold for new construction is when rents top $2.00/psf.  With some construction projects in the city (just none downtown yet), we've passed that mark.  I think it's only a matter of time.
A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
-Mohandas Gandhi

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4624 on: May 17, 2017, 01:41:52 PM »
Got it, thanks. But that's not Bay Street now. It's 13th Street, right? The application says it would vacate Bay Street, formerly Plum Street. Still confused.

Yes, 13th St.  I can't find a Bay St. through any kind of search.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4625 on: May 17, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »
Yes, 13th St.  I can't find a Bay St. through any kind of search.

If true, this is surrounded by Frangos properties. Is someone about to make a move on these properties? If so, does Frangos purchasing all those properties along East 14th up to Prospect have anything to do with this?? Wondering aloud...
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4626 on: May 18, 2017, 11:46:05 AM »
Interesting 1920s era map.  Of note: Chester Ave, from downtown, ended at E. 30th street.  There was a small section of (what became) it named Windsor Ave (between E. 40 and 55th streets), which explains for that tiny block of those still surviving old Philly-style row houses on Windsor Terrace in about the 4100 block.  Most of what we know of as Chester today was an extension built during or after WWII IIRC (which is why, until recent years, there were very few homes, apts or businesses that actually fronted on Chester). 

Also, of course, there was no Shaker Square at that time, but Moreland Circle where, in the middle, the 2 Rapid lines split, as opposed a block east of that location where they now separate.  Surrounding it were mostly numbered lots in the Van Sweringen allotment... Also the Shaker Rapid, called the Cleveland & Youngstown RR, heading downtown, ended on a ramp up to the street at E. 34 where rapid cars headed to Public Square over city streets... Terminal Tower and the (then referred to as) Terminal Group buildings were still on the drawing board.  Some numbered streets were referred to as their original names, like Highland Street for W. 117... good stuff.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:47:55 AM by clvlndr »

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4627 on: May 18, 2017, 12:13:46 PM »
... also the large building on S. Woodland in Shaker, now known as Woodbury 1-8 Elementary, which was Woodbury Junior High in my day, was originally Shaker's High School, as noted by the map... Onaway ES next door, was only planned on the map.  The current HS, at that time, wasn't even projected...

Online Matches

• God of skinny punks.
  • 574'-Carew Tower
  • Eloquently sarcastic
    • Benander Games / Sports Data
« Reply #4628 on: May 19, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
A while back 4 homes were torn town along near the border of University Heights and Beachwood. The owner intended to put a car wash in. This was a horrible idea.

They've "upgraded" to a drive-in burger joint.

http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/local_news/swensons-drive-in-eyes-university-heights-location/article_6c06444a-39b4-11e7-860e-c394e8a00f83.html
"The urban core is a net importer of young adults and a net exporter of old adults. That's the antithesis of a dying city."

Online BigDipper 80

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #4629 on: May 19, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »
Swenson's gets a pass, they have good enough food to allow for bad urbanism!  :laugh:

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4630 on: May 19, 2017, 12:54:05 PM »
Indeed!  Glad to see Swenson's expanding!

Online mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #4631 on: May 19, 2017, 01:01:26 PM »
Swenson's gets a pass for ANYTHING...!!!  This is actually a great location, It will definitely be popular for the area.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:01:47 PM by mrclifton88 »

Offline inlovewithCLE

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #4632 on: May 21, 2017, 04:23:19 AM »
Awesome!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4633 on: May 21, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »
Preservation tax credits energize Cleveland's aging urban landscape
May 20, 2017 UPDATED 2 DAYS AGO
By STAN BULLARD   

After the Leader Building opened in 1912 at 526 Superior Ave. in downtown Cleveland, reporters and printers hustled to meet daily newspaper deadlines for 20 years there for The News-Leader. After the paper was sold to The Plain Dealer, it was moved, but the ornate lobby remained a feature after the structure became a multitenant office building.

At the same time, across the Cuyahoga River, at 1526 W. 25th St., a building constructed in the 1870s for the family-owned Baehr Brewery was serving as a machine shop and would later become a warehouse for convention displays.

Both buildings have just joined the lineup of adaptive reuse projects of historic buildings that are becoming apartments at a rapid rate. They are among an onslaught of more than 1,100 suites that will open in 2017, and will later be joined by buildings such as The Standard, 99 W. St. Clair Ave., and Garfield, 1965 East Sixth St., and further the transformation of downtown Cleveland as a residential neighborhood and boost the population of the city's West Side neighborhoods.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170520/NEWS/170529996/-preservation-tax-credits-energize-clevelands-aging-urban-landscape

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4634 on: May 21, 2017, 11:04:14 AM »
I was thinking of writing an article about this subject, but including more of the other huge sites in Cleveland and inner-ring suburbs that are being targeted for warehouses, light industrial or other large-scale commercial uses. Crain's only scratched the surface of everything that's in play right now...

NEO's warehouse boom is built by e-commerce
May 21, 2017 UPDATED 2 DAYS AGO
By STAN BULLARD   

The rise in demand for huge warehouses to serve the expanding e-commerce market is combining with a tight industrial market in Northeast Ohio to produce what looks to be the region's first great industrial-zoned land rush of the 21st century.

In a striking sign of the times as internet retail sales climb and bricks and mortar stores weather an epic shakeout, an affiliate of Atlanta-based United Parcel Service just bought a 65-acre parcel in Middleburg Heights from heirs of the original 19th-century farming family that put it into service on Engle Road in the 1800s.

The price: $7.5 million, according to Cuyahoga County land records.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170521/NEWS/170529985/neos-warehouse-boom-is-built-by-e-commerce

Online ASPhotoman

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #4635 on: May 22, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this so here you go! Hopefully opening is right around the corner!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4636 on: May 22, 2017, 03:07:28 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this so here you go! Hopefully opening is right around the corner!

Here:
https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,16941.0.html

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4637 on: May 26, 2017, 06:36:36 PM »
FRIDAY, MAY 26, 2017
Is Cleveland erring in the marketing of its industrial sites?

Development of the largest shovel-ready industrial/warehousing sites in the City of Cleveland aren't attracting much private-sector interest despite discounted asking prices. Meanwhile, inner-ring suburbs offering large parcels that are almost shovel-ready are having greater success in drawing private sector interest and potentially thousands of jobs from significant planned developments.

What, if anything, is the City of Cleveland doing wrong vs. what, if anything, are the suburbs doing right?

Take, for example, the largest available site in Cleveland in more than a half-century. Located off Interstate 77 south of the Pershing Avenue exit, the 65-acre Cuyahoga Valley Industrial Center offered the potential for up to 750,000 square feet of new manufacturing space and 1,000 new jobs, according to promotional materials for the site.

Two prospective users of the former International Steel Group coal/coke plant are finalizing plans for their building construction projects that will occupy about half of the center. More than $5 million in taxpayer funds from the city and state were used to clear and clean the polluted property. But the number of jobs involved will likely be far less than backers of the redeveloped site had hoped.

MORE:
http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2017/05/cleveland-erring-in-marketing-industrial.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:31:51 PM by KJP »

Offline RE Developer In Training

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #4638 on: May 30, 2017, 08:59:32 AM »
I heard some bad news over the weekend.  Hopefully it's not true, but I heard from a Sherwin employee that due to the Valspar acquisition - the expansion of Sherwin may come outside of downtown.  I forget the location, but certainly not the tower on Public Square that we all wanted.

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4639 on: May 30, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »
^Don't quite understand why this acquisition would have an effect on the location one way or the other.

Offline mack34

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #4640 on: May 30, 2017, 09:13:33 AM »
Morikis is flexing his muscle......

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4641 on: May 30, 2017, 09:47:07 AM »
I heard some bad news over the weekend.  Hopefully it's not true, but I heard from a Sherwin employee that due to the Valspar acquisition - the expansion of Sherwin may come outside of downtown.  I forget the location, but certainly not the tower on Public Square that we all wanted.

I responded in the downtown office speculation thread:

https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,4266.msg856410.html#msg856410

Online sir2gees

« Reply #4642 on: May 30, 2017, 09:50:34 AM »
I heard this weekend from a Sherwin-Williams employee they are building downtown and they understand to attract talent they need to be downtown. Again, just a rumor I heard.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4643 on: June 03, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »

Offline David

• Premium Member
« Reply #4644 on: June 03, 2017, 09:50:58 AM »

When is this opening? Taco Bell is my guilty pleasure and I never see them in Cleveland.
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4645 on: June 03, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »
^you must not be looking very hard

Offline MissinOhio

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #4646 on: June 06, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »
^you must not be looking very hard

No, Cleveland doesn't like chains.  Remember?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4647 on: June 06, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
Taco Bell is everywhere. But Cleveland Heights doesn't strike me as a Taco Hell kinda place....

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #4648 on: June 06, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »
South Euclid can give you your Taco Bell fix. Mayfield Road, just east of Green!

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #4649 on: June 06, 2017, 10:33:36 PM »
Interesting new job posting. Turner usually oversee large construction projects....

Preconstruction Manager
Req ID: 8868
 Find More Find Similar Jobs
Division:   Turner
Project Location(s):   CLEVELAND OH US , 44115
Apply On-line!
Minimum Years Experience:   
Travel Involved:   None/Not Specified
Job Type:   Full Time
Job Classification:    Experienced
Education:   Bachelors Degree
Job Family:   Construction
Compensation:   Not Specified

Position Description:
 Overall responsibility for the preconstruction process from project  inception through start of construction.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities
MORE
https://turner.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=8868&site_id=148

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #4650 on: June 16, 2017, 01:21:07 PM »
I couldn't find an appropriate thread for the Hope Memorial Bridge.  Call me oldschool.  So I put this here for now--mods please move if necessary.

Cleveland guardian bridge lighting out, no government agency wants to make repairs

http://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cle-guardian-bridge-lighting-out-no-government-agency-wants-to-make-repairs
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #4651 on: June 16, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »
I couldn't find an appropriate thread for the Hope Memorial Bridge.  Call me oldschool.  So I put this here for now--mods please move if necessary.

Cleveland guardian bridge lighting out, no government agency wants to make repairs

http://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cle-guardian-bridge-lighting-out-no-government-agency-wants-to-make-repairs

These types of things have been an issue since...... since we have had a mayor that is ok with mediocrity and dysfunction. 

This story reminds you of how pathetic these types of things have become, and without the pushing of the private community, there really is nobody at the city level that seems to care about such things. 
Other examples have included the multiple bridge lightings, Rockefeller Park bridge and other lighting, stretches of street lighting (especially downtown).   
In a properly run city, these things would be unacceptable. 

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:27:51 PM by willyboy »
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline dave68

« Reply #4652 on: June 16, 2017, 01:48:47 PM »
Someone should contact LAND Studio with regards to the lighting out on The Hope Memorial Bridge. They were the ones responsible for the lighting and should be able to maintain their investments

Offline mack34

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #4653 on: June 16, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »
I think this city has forgotten that it needs to COMPETE for residents.  We are all free agents to some extent......I lived in Cleveland for a few years 20 years ago and was shocked at how poor the services were.  Seems they've gotten worse.  I'd like to move back into the city....but leadership HAS to do better. Lights.....Garbage......potholes.....cracked poles........  This is basic stuff.

Online freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #4654 on: June 16, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »
Anyone know if there was a CPC meeting today, there is no agenda posted.  Playhouse tower review was today. Looks like @mjarboe is out of town.  And the planning commission Twitter sucks so don't know what happened.
live small  dream big

Remove Ads