Author Topic: Cleveland: Midtown: Development and News  (Read 360452 times)

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
Re: Cleveland: Midtown Developments
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2007, 01:19:20 PM »
Quote from: JAY MILLER
The concept is built on the notion that there is a desire among some people to live and work in a neighborhood that harks back to the time before cars were so ubiquitous, when people sought to live and businesses sought to cluster around bus and streetcar stops.

Ugh. I know I whine about the PD all the time, but this was a particularly dense observation, IMHO. Transit-oriented development and mixed use are not some throwback to 1950s America ... they are and have been leading indicators of vibrant neighborhoods in urban areas nationwide. Even within Northeast Ohio, where we have often dropped the ball in terms of urban density, neighborhoods like the Gold Coast, Shaker Square, Cedar Lee, Coventry, the Warehouse District, E. 4th St., Little Italy, etc. highlight that transit proximity and mixed-use density are preferred by LOTS of people. I hate our newspaper  :x

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2007, 01:27:15 PM »
I cringed when I read that as well, but it was actually from Crain's this time -- not the PD.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2007, 01:35:27 PM »
Quote from: JAY MILLER
The concept is built on the notion that there is a desire among some people to live and work in a neighborhood that harks back to the time before cars were so ubiquitous, when people sought to live and businesses sought to cluster around bus and streetcar stops.

Sometimes I'd like to think we (Greater Clevelanders) say stuff like that to make ourselves feel good that we're really not behind the times and falling farther behind virtually every progressive, dynamic metro area in the U.S. and world. In reality, it's just sheer ignorance and reveals that some people just don't travel very much. And if they do travel, they must be doing it with their eyes closed.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." Winston Churchill

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2007, 02:10:48 PM »
Yeah. Not to go off on a PD rant, but I'm so sick of the international section not having so much INTERNATIONAL news. I mean, it's a big world we live in. Why not give us news outside of Cleveland/Ohio?? How much do you think it would cost to start up a new newspaper that actually covers the news objectively and with some intelligent, articulate writing that isn't meant to cater to a friggin 3 year old? Seriously. I'm wondering.

Even though NYC drives me crazy, I will never be able to replace the NY Times. I wish Cleveland had a paper more like that.

Okay. Off-topic rant done.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »
Yeah. Not to go off on a PD rant, but I'm so sick of the international section not having so much INTERNATIONAL news. I mean, it's a big world we live in. Why not give us news outside of Cleveland/Ohio?? How much do you think it would cost to start up a new newspaper that actually covers the news objectively and with some intelligent, articulate writing that isn't meant to cater to a friggin 3 year old? Seriously. I'm wondering.

Even though NYC drives me crazy, I will never be able to replace the NY Times. I wish Cleveland had a paper more like that.

Okay. Off-topic rant done.

Boogie Down...inhale......no slowly blow it out!  LOL

Valid points.  Have you fired off an email, fax or letter to the PD that expresses your frustration?

I'm sure that a well written letter will make you feel better.
my 2      Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »
No. Who would I write it to? The editor-in-chief, I guess?

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »
No. Who would I write it to? The editor-in-chief, I guess?

EIC and the Publisher.

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2007, 02:38:15 PM »
MTS, do you think the whole world's problem's can be solved by writing letters?

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2007, 02:43:04 PM »
Pope that was condescending. 

No, but I think writing a letter does more good than saying nothing at all.

It might encourage others to join a cause or do something positive.

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2007, 02:47:52 PM »
I agree. I'd rather write a letter than say nothing and not allow my voice to be heard.

Let's get back to the issue.

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2007, 02:49:02 PM »
I would write to the paper's "Reader's Representative".  It seems like that is what he is there for.

Frqntflyr, I think that the Victory Lofts are going to be in the building next door to the one you marked.  That is a four story building, as they indicate in the article.  The one you marked is only two.

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2007, 03:05:38 PM »
Frqntflyr, I think that the Victory Lofts are going to be in the building next door to the one you marked.  That is a four story building, as they indicate in the article.  The one you marked is only two.

Thanks, it's updated now.

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2007, 01:23:39 PM »
William Denihan fails to win support for new mental health board building
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Harlan Spector
Plain Dealer Reporter

Nobody can accuse William Denihan of lacking ambition....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:11:13 PM by McCleveland »

Online w28th

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2007, 03:12:29 PM »
Jesus, $480,000 a month?  22 months out of that place and you have the $10,000,000 for the new building.  Doesn't make much sense to me, but it is Cuyahoga County.
Wonder if this has any affect on the United Trust Building rehab.
"When you stand at the corner of Euclid Avenue and East Ninth Street in Cleveland, you stand at one of the busiest corners in the world -- and in the heart of a shopping district known far and wide for its many fine shops."

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2007, 03:16:21 PM »
Why would it? The Cuyahoga County mental health board is at Detroit and West 25th. The United Bank Building is at Lorain and West 25th.
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." Winston Churchill

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2007, 03:20:09 PM »
$480,000 per month?????????? That has to be a misprint.

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2007, 03:59:33 PM »
^That's got to be an annual number............right?

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2007, 04:35:30 PM »
$480,000 per month?????????? That has to be a misprint.

Very definitely a misprint.  That kind of money can get you 50,000 sf in the very best midtown Manhattan buildings.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2007, 12:55:53 PM »
I read a little while ago that the city designated an area of Midtown "The Art Quarter". I was just wondering if anyone has heard any new developments in line with this designation? Or is this only a name change on paper so far?

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2007, 01:02:39 PM »
I read a little while ago that the city designated an area of Midtown "The Art Quarter". I was just wondering if anyone has heard any new developments in line with this designation? Or is this only a name change on paper so far?

The district of design.  If you do a search you'll see a thread.

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »
I thought the two were different?

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2007, 01:50:06 PM »
I've never heard of an "arts quarter".  8shadesofgray or anyone else heard of these two distinct district?

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2007, 01:55:14 PM »
Group gets a handle on art haunts
Renaming area underscores trend
Monday, April 16, 2007
Jesse Tinsley
Plain Dealer Reporter

A Cleveland neighborhood is gradually becoming an art district - one of those funky, vibrant enclaves of artists' studios, galleries, bistros and live-work spaces that are spreading all over the country....

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:12:35 PM by McCleveland »

Offline Jax

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
I don't know if this should really go here or not..

LINK TO ARTICLE

Solon biotech firm headed to Midtown

By CHUCK SODER

4:30 am, August 20, 2007

Biotechnology company Analiza Inc. will move to Midtown Cleveland from Solon in October.

The company, which analyzes potential drugs for pharmaceutical companies, signed a lease to take 6,000 square feet in the Tyler Elevator Building, said Mark Stratton, vice president of marketing and business development. The extra 2,500 square feet will allow Analiza to add a few people to its staff of about 12, he said.

Its cancer diagnostics subsidiary, AnalizaDx LLC, will move with it. The unit analyzes the structure of proteins in bodily fluids to diagnose cancer.

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2007, 01:21:01 PM »
Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but this sounds pretty cool:

Victory Building on Euclid Corridor to be converted to lofts, shops
Saturday, September 22, 2007
Alison Grant
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Euclid Corridor Project has spawned its first residential development in the Midtown neighborhood -- a loft conversion of a warehouse and office property at East 71st Street and Euclid Avenue...

agrant@plaind.com, 216-999-4758
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:13:16 PM by McCleveland »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2007, 04:11:25 PM »
Cool, can't wait for these to open. It may still be too early to celebrate, but looks like the ECP is sparking the new development that was promised.
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2007, 10:18:48 PM »
And it's drawing investment from other cities -- note that two of partners are from LA and NYC.

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2007, 06:27:04 PM »
Cleveland Free Times
Volume 15, Issue 29
Published November 21st, 2007
Arts News

Cleveland is an old-school manufacturing town. What we know how to do is take raw materials and make something out of them, a fact that continually resurfaces as neighborhoods are reborn - not just in the old warehouse and factory space we find new ways to use, but even sometimes in the ways we find to use it.

The much collected artist Tom Balbo recently announced the establishment of the Morgan Art of Papermaking Conservatory and Education Foundation, which will be known as the Morgan Conservatory, for short. A graduate of Baldwin-Wallace College and Syracuse University, Balbo began his career as a potter and print-maker - media he continues to pursue - but over the last 25 years his interests have increasingly turned toward paper-making, casting and paper-based sculpture. He's worked mostly in Cleveland and maintains a gallery on Hough Avenue. He's in the process of equipping and moving into the space that will be the Morgan Conservatory, a former machine shop with 15,000 square feet of industrial space at 1754 E. 47th St., between Commerce and Payne.

When it's all up and running, the new organization will have three directions of programming: a kind of apprenticeship program that teaches and certifies people in the making of paper; an art lab, which Balbo says will bring artists of various disciplines to work in residency to make paper-based work, which could be anything from sculpture to cast paper to print-making; and a book arts program, which will bring master book-makers and printers to teach a range of skills and techniques involved in the hand-making of books, from binding structures to printing with letter press machines. The organization will also distribute fine, handmade papers. A small gallery will show the paper-making process, examples of papers and the work of artists.

In addition to parking, there's space on location where Balbo plans to grow kozo, a plant whose fiber is used to make one of the many Japanese styles known as "rice" paper.

The Morgan Conservatory plans to operate in conjunction with nearby printmaking cooperative Zygote Press, which should make the neighborhood even more noteworthy as a destination for printmakers and other artists. Details of the relationship are not yet worked out, but the two organizations plan to work together on visiting artist programs, as well as gallery shows and openings.

Balbo says the Morgan Conservatory established its 501 (c) (3) nonprofit status in August and is now raising funds. The space is under renovation, but he's planning a short workshop to take place in January, and hopes to have a residency program underway by summer 2008.

http://www.balbogalleries.com/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:16:35 PM by theguv »
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline tinkerbelle

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2007, 09:38:26 PM »
So is the District of Design within the Arts Quarter?

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2007, 11:09:37 AM »
They overlap. If I recall correctly, The QuARTer stretches from Payne to St. Clair between E. 17th and E. 40th. The design district, I believe runs from E. 9th (or maybe E. 12th) to E. 36th and from Euclid to the lake. I could be a little off on these boundaries, but I believe the main gap is that the District of Design doesn't cover the live-work stretch along E. 40th between Superior and Chester and possibly not all of Tyler Village.

Online w28th

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2007, 12:00:47 PM »
Why can't they just call it Midtown to make it easy on everyone?
"When you stand at the corner of Euclid Avenue and East Ninth Street in Cleveland, you stand at one of the busiest corners in the world -- and in the heart of a shopping district known far and wide for its many fine shops."

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2007, 12:06:33 PM »
For one thing, neither the QuARTer effort nor the District of Design are based primarily in Midtown. The QuARTer isn't in Midtown at all ... it's inside the downtown Quadrangle district and the St. Clair Superior service area. The District of Design is largely in the downtown Theater, Financial, Civic and Quadrangle districts and the St. Clair Superior Service area, with a relatively small sliver (about E. 26th to E. 36th between Euclid and Payne) in Midtown.

Offline zaceman

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • zaklong.tumblr.com
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2007, 03:31:52 PM »
"QuARTer"?  seriously?  its spelled like that? 

Offline Vulpster03

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2007, 08:53:36 AM »
Why can't they just call it Midtown to make it easy on everyone?

I agree. In my opinion, everything between Downtown and University Circle should be Midtown and it should be governed by a single CDC.

Online musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2007, 08:58:16 AM »
Technically, the Quadrangle is not a CDC but more of a Chamber of Commerce type organization for businesses in that area. Not entirely - but mostly.

Remove Ads