Author Topic: Cleveland: Warehouse District: Development and News  (Read 344548 times)

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
Re: Cleveland: Warehouse District Developments
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2010, 11:21:16 AM »
They did have this property on the last Landmark's Commisssion agenda.  There are quite a few pictures of the strucutre with some in what looks like a tunnel/basement. 
It also looks like they plan to install some attractive :| signage and landscaping at that corner :roll:, to complement the new surface parking. 

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/photo/07222010/index.php
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »
Just so I am clear, is the building coming down also? Hard to tell from the pics.
live small  dream big

Offline Niko

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2010, 06:37:03 PM »
From this pic in the landmark commission agenda it looks like the old building is coming down too.  I guess a lot is better than a condemned structure.

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »

:drunk:

#Alien #Aliens #Alien3 #AlienResurrection #Prometheus # AlienCovenant
The real greatest story ever told

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
  • Fish worship... Is it wrong?
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »
Hmmm.. More flowering pears/junipers  that will end up half dead.... (sigh!) I wish planners would sometimes listen to other people besides landscapers to choose some much better and suitable and definitive for Ohio plants. If we are going to have all these empty lots, then they can at least be looking the best they can. Consult with Ohio Prairie Nursery and Cleveland Museum of Natural History. I guarantee these planter beds will not be maintained. Just look at the existing ones surrounding the existing lots... All the parking lots.. GRRR!! Its all an abomination, especially when seen from the Terminal Tower OB Deck! Sorry, I just cannot get excited about this or find a positive twist.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 07:23:29 PM by Etheostoma Caeruleum »
This city desert makes you feel so cold....
Its got so many people but its got no soul...
And its taken you so long...to find out you were wrong..
When you thought it held everything. -- Gerry Rafferty, "Baker Street"

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2010, 08:11:49 AM »
What's this new Numb'rs place on Frankfort?  I saw there sign go up last week, but I haven't been able to find any information on the place.  Anyone?

Howard Hanna finally put up a permanent sign at their St. Clair offices.  It's fairly unattractive and about a year and a half late, but whatever.  At least they stayed in the building.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »
Numb'rs have been there since the 80s.  I was a gay club.
my 2      Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2010, 12:00:50 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the demolition of that building.  There is no scenario where that structure was going to stick around.  It is historic in that it is, as i have heard, the oldest building outside of the dunham tavern.  But anything 'historic' in nature was removed decades ago.  The facade is long lost and it can not be restored.  There were discussions taking place when stark was involved to save some of the bricks and stone and potentially reuse them on a portion of the new development with some sort of plaque. But that was about it.  Given the condition of that garage and incorporated building, the fact that there would have been no way to restore said building, and certainly could not have been incorporated into any type of development we would like to see... this may be the first case in the history of civilazation where the demolition of a structure replaced by surface parking may actually be an aesthetic improvement.  here's to hoping that some time this century, economic conditions improve and the right type of development can take place on these properties.  At least the owners actually want to develop these parking lots, that is a first step. credit markets allowing development would be a nice second step.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:01:11 PM by McCleveland »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2010, 12:01:34 PM »

You were a gay club???  :?

Offline jborger

• examiner.com, twitter, blog
  • 665'-Queen City Square
  • Now living in Detroit Shoreway
    • Jeremy Borger from Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2010, 12:19:35 PM »

Uh...  It's been Motion, a female strip club, since around 2007 or so.  It was another female strip club by a different name before that.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »
RATS.  Stupid browser.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:35:24 PM by rockandroller »

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
  • Fish worship... Is it wrong?
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the demolition of that building.  There is no scenario where that structure was going to stick around.  It is historic in that it is, as i have heard, the oldest building outside of the dunham tavern.  But anything 'historic' in nature was removed decades ago.  The facade is long lost and it can not be restored.  There were discussions taking place when stark was involved to save some of the bricks and stone and potentially reuse them on a portion of the new development with some sort of plaque. But that was about it.  Given the condition of that garage and incorporated building, the fact that there would have been no way to restore said building, and certainly could not have been incorporated into any type of development we would like to see... this may be the first case in the history of civilazation where the demolition of a structure replaced by surface parking may actually be an aesthetic improvement.  here's to hoping that some time this century, economic conditions improve and the right type of development can take place on these properties.  At least the owners actually want to develop these parking lots, that is a first step. credit markets allowing development would be a nice second step.

Is this the building that was occupied by Stark Ent.?  The one that had the disgusting yellow/brown facade that was painted in recent years to actually look respectable?
This city desert makes you feel so cold....
Its got so many people but its got no soul...
And its taken you so long...to find out you were wrong..
When you thought it held everything. -- Gerry Rafferty, "Baker Street"

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2010, 12:54:34 PM »
^no...corner of W 6th and Superior

Offline urbanlife

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • don't be complacent. innovate.
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2010, 01:05:26 PM »
it would have been nice if the city could have required standard parking to extend the landscaping buffers on at least one side of the lot - for instance continuing down w6 to frankfurt.   

as bad as these surface lots are, they are a lot better when there is a landscape buffer - as exists along the north side of much of frankfurt for instance.
"Never mistake motion for action." - E. Hemingway

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2010, 01:15:29 PM »

Uh...  It's been Motion, a female strip club, since around 2007 or so.  It was another female strip club by a different name before that.

I can't remember ever seeing Motion open since I moved downtown in late 2008. 

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2010, 02:10:50 PM »

You were a gay club???  :?

LMAO!   :P

Offline bumsquare

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2010, 05:25:37 PM »

I can adamantly vouch that it used to be a female strip club.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2010, 05:56:55 AM »

But it was a gay club prior to that.  I'm sure I didn't go there on Tuesday's and Friday's to see T&A!

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2010, 06:06:28 AM »
Note the spelling folks - 620 Frankfort was Numbers (a gay club) for quite some time - I want to say the late 80s to the mid-90s. It then became Atlantis (still a gay club) for a year or so. Then it became Hydra (a strip club), then Motion (another strip club). As to what "Numbr's" is, who knows?

Offline CBC

• Just a Gigalo in the "Real Housewives of Cleveland!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2010, 08:19:28 AM »
... this may be the first case in the history of civilazation where the demolition of a structure replaced by surface parking may actually be an aesthetic improvement. 

Agreed. The core building may have been historic but the current structure was a frankenstein mess of additions and facades. 2 story parking deck? huh?
If I were a color, I'd be bitter brown. As in Cleveland Browns fan bitter....

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »

But it was a gay club prior to that.  I'm sure I didn't go there on Tuesday's and Friday's to see T&A!

Just A?
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline tedolph

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2010, 11:06:42 AM »
What is a female strip club? Is that where females go to strip? Is that where females go to watch other females strip? Is that where females go to watch men strip, or is that where males go to watch females strip? I know there is one more kind but I do not want to get into that. 

If it is the last, then you just shoudl have said a "strip club".  I would have understood that.  Adding "female" confuses me. 

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #162 on: July 27, 2010, 11:09:50 AM »
^Boy some banks have got to start lending some developers $$$ if this is all we are left to discuss in this thread.

Offline jborger

• examiner.com, twitter, blog
  • 665'-Queen City Square
  • Now living in Detroit Shoreway
    • Jeremy Borger from Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2010, 01:19:58 PM »
What is a female strip club? Is that where females go to strip?

Yes.

Is that where females go to watch other females strip?

Perhaps, if the women going like that sort of thing.

Is that where females go to watch men strip,

No.

or is that where males go to watch females strip?

Yes.

Offline Scav

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2010, 10:32:43 AM »
i wish i could just "like" someones post.. that would be cool. but i nod my head jborger. your post has been liked.

I would also like to say that i am not necessarily a proponent of this building coming down. i think whatever is put up there needs to have some sort of public walkway maybe underground access with glass so you can see the oldest building in the city and its foundation. i think things like that are important. i think its a shame this will become a parking lot. even though it was ugly before. its still going to be ugly now.
Cleveland is "a communal act of defiance against a nation's celebrity culture." Wright Thompson

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2010, 10:57:49 AM »
i wish i could just "like" someones post.. that would be cool. but i nod my head jborger. your post has been liked.

I would also like to say that i am not necessarily a proponent of this building coming down. i think whatever is put up there needs to have some sort of public walkway maybe underground access with glass so you can see the oldest building in the city and its foundation. i think things like that are important. i think its a shame this will become a parking lot. even though it was ugly before. its still going to be ugly now.

I don't understand that.  I'm not sure that would even be a draw or cost effective.  As said earlier the majority of the buildings "historical" makeup has been stripped.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2010, 11:38:52 AM »
plus doing so would essentially completely end the thought of ever developing this portion of the block.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
If we're serious about preserving an old building in downtown Cleveland, then save the 1840s building on Ontario just south of Prospect...

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,7006.msg501862.html#msg501862

Please discuss this building at the above link so we can continue to discuss Warehouse District developments here.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:59:22 AM by KJP »
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »
Please take any discussion of Warehouse District Safety or crowd control here:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,24137.0.html

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
^I tried... but I guess it takes Moderator authority to enforce...

Anyway, back on topic.  Has anyone noticed how business has been in the new outdoor bar of Metro Kitchen or whatever it's called?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:33:03 AM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline Scav

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2010, 11:42:22 AM »
plus doing so would essentially completely end the thought of ever developing this portion of the block.

naw my suggestion is simply based on a whim.. i havent been to the site in years. im just curious if it were at all possible to at least save some of the foundation and expose it somewhere. it would be just a nice gesture to the city, its history, and give the site SOME merit. if they want to build over it they still can.
Cleveland is "a communal act of defiance against a nation's celebrity culture." Wright Thompson

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2010, 01:45:20 PM »
Anyway, back on topic.  Has anyone noticed how business has been in the new outdoor bar of Metro Kitchen or whatever it's called?

I've been there a few times (Thursday's and Friday's mostly) and it's been crowded every time.  Not so crowded that we couldn't get a seat, but the outdoor space was always packed and inside was usually pretty full.  Their bar is really nice inside and the whole place has been done very well.  The outdoor bar is also a VERY welcome addition to the neighborhood.  Hopefully they put in some outdoor heater things so that space can be enjoyed deep into the fall.

Oh, and the food's not bad either.  The hamburger's are pretty awesome.  I've also had the half chicken (very good) and the ribeye (OK, but undercooked.  Asked for medium got rare).  I recommend it for a happy hour + dinner.  The happy hour deals are very good for a place like that and it's just a nice, casual, reasonably priced place.  Fills the gap between the nice expensive places (Blue Point, XO, Johnny's, Chophouse, Crop) and the bars that serve food (Nauti Mermaid, Panini's, Barley House, Golic's, House of Cues, Map Room, etc).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:00:15 PM by Hootenany »

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2010, 02:39:02 PM »
^Wow, thanks for the report.  Looks like the sidewalk widening has been great for the street.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline tedolph

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2010, 06:34:13 PM »
What is a female strip club? Is that where females go to strip?

Yes.

Is that where females go to watch other females strip?

Perhaps, if the women going like that sort of thing.

Is that where females go to watch men strip,

No.

or is that where males go to watch females strip?

Yes.

Got it. 

Offline Land of Cleve

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Numb'rs is a slot machine gaming hall that will have slot machines which are based on skill, not luck. Thus they are legal in Ohio. Prizes will be awarded as gift cards, tokens, etc. instead of cash. I believe they will be open starting this weekend.

Remove Ads