Author Topic: Cleveland: Warehouse District: Development and News  (Read 336595 times)

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
Re: Cleveland: Warehouse District Developments
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
Maybe one day.... I may open up a custom aquarium design, installation and maintenance shoppe in one of these places. It will be a great show room.

In addition, it will have a Vegetarian Nutritional Center and Nature conservancy.

I fixed that for you!
my 2      Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline Etheostoma Caeruleum

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
  • Fish worship... Is it wrong?
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2009, 12:31:30 PM »
Yes, thank you very much. That is actually how my old shop used to be. I had an entire section dedicated to replications of Ohio streams. It was like a small nature center. You can see the photos on the "Aquatic Urban-Ohio" thread.
This city desert makes you feel so cold....
Its got so many people but its got no soul...
And its taken you so long...to find out you were wrong..
When you thought it held everything. -- Gerry Rafferty, "Baker Street"

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2009, 12:58:51 PM »
I was curious about this building and thought I remembered reading something a while back.

I found this article from the PD that mentions the guy (Tony George) that bought the building where the old Spy Bar was and opened Barley House, was also pursuing this building. 

"Barley House will be Bobby George's first foray into the Warehouse District, but it might not be the last. The 27-year-old developer is pursuing the Liberty Textile Building, a rare vacant entertainment district property owned by James Kassouf."

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2008/06/michelle_jarboe_a_businessman.html

EC, you had a shop that sold replications of Ohio Streams???  :wtf: :drunk:
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2009, 01:30:54 PM »
One of the reasons this building has been vacant so long, is that it has some pretty significant structural problems that would need fixed (and wouldn't be cheap)... or at least so I heard awhile back.  So if that is being taken care of, it's a great thing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:31:31 PM by McCleveland »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2009, 01:34:27 PM »
One of the reasons this building has been vacant so long, is that it has some pretty significant structural problems that would need fixed (and wouldn't be cheap)... or at least so I heard awhile back.  So if that is being taken care of, it's a great thing.

Also, I didnt know how much Mr. Kassouf owning it had to do with it just sitting there.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »
^Probably alot.  I imagine Kassouff wants an arm and a leg for the building and has an inflated value of its worth.  A former employer was a partner in the renovation of the Spy Building which included the infill where the elevator shaft is located.  It was designed to also service the Kassouff building next door but if I recall negotiations (or Kassouff's interest in renovating his own property) went nowhere.  This would have been about 92-93.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »
I was curious about this building and thought I remembered reading something a while back.

I found this article from the PD that mentions the guy (Tony George) that bought the building where the old Spy Bar was and opened Barley House, was also pursuing this building. 

"Barley House will be Bobby George's first foray into the Warehouse District, but it might not be the last. The 27-year-old developer is pursuing the Liberty Textile Building, a rare vacant entertainment district property owned by James Kassouf."

Kassouf and George?? Boy, there's a winning combination.

Kassouf: buy property and let it sit and rot.
George: be the silent partner, let all manner of mayhem occur there, then pretend you had no knowledge of it while the visible partner goes to jail.
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2009, 08:36:18 PM »
Kassouf, or his parking company owed me $400.00 once in '89 and never paid it! If that is the same one...  What a piker! That was a heck of a lot of cash for a 21 year old to get screwed out of while taking classes!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:37:19 PM by Etheostoma Caeruleum »

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2009, 09:15:08 PM »

Kassouf and George?? Boy, there's a winning combination.

Kassouf: buy property and let it sit and rot.
George: be the silent partner, let all manner of mayhem occur there, then pretend you had no knowledge of it while the visible partner goes to jail.

FYI, I stated that it was Tony George but then quoted that it was Bobby George that bought the building.  It was actually Bobby who is Tony's son. 

EC I suspect that would be the same Kassouf.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:16:00 PM by willyboy »

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2010, 01:19:14 PM »
Resource Real Estate files to foreclose on Bingham apartments in Cleveland's Warehouse

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2010/04/resource_real_estate_files_to.html

Offline jborger

• examiner.com, twitter, blog
  • 665'-Queen City Square
  • Now living in Detroit Shoreway
    • Jeremy Borger from Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2010, 10:34:31 AM »
So Metropolitan turned into Metro and had its grand opening on Thursday.  (patio to open in a month or so)  I took a picture of their new signage on Friday.  I think it looks good - much better than that vinyl sign they used to have on the side of the building...

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »

That's a good picture.
I like their new look, and more is to come.

I think there has been some major progress on fixing the building down the street. If it has a particular name, I don't know it. But we were talking about this a few months back...

Here are a couple pics from this past week. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would seem that an entire new back wall has been built. Now, will they re-brick over this?

Over on W. 9th St, Sunset Lounge closed a few weeks ago for remodeling.
Here's what's coming (I'm glad):

#Alien #Aliens #Alien3 #AlienResurrection #Prometheus # AlienCovenant
The real greatest story ever told

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »

It's the Liberty Textile Building, c. 1873.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:11:56 PM by Clueless,Ohio »

Offline Scav

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2010, 05:14:09 PM »
they should rebrick over it or something, what you are seeing there is structural CMU, which is not an exterior solution in most buildings. I could be wrong though, but from what i CAN see it doesnt seem to be fit for a facia brick.
Cleveland is "a communal act of defiance against a nation's celebrity culture." Wright Thompson

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »
they should rebrick over it or something, what you are seeing there is structural CMU, which is not an exterior solution in most buildings. I could be wrong though, but from what i CAN see it doesnt seem to be fit for a facia brick.

Although when they brick over cinderblock like that dont they usually have those metal things sticking out that they use to anchor the exterior brick?

Offline Scav

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »
willyboy +1! exactly what i meant when i said it doesnt seem to be fit for facia brick. there are still a few other ways to do it, but is construction/site prep going on right now still? theres your answer. they wouldnt leave it for long if it needed a wall over it. but if nothings happening then you are lookin at the final result of some ugly but cheap restructuring.
Cleveland is "a communal act of defiance against a nation's celebrity culture." Wright Thompson

Offline jborger

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2010, 11:39:09 AM »
I'm sorry, I'm confused.  Which building is this?  Someone have an address?

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2010, 06:08:48 PM »

1275 and 1281 West Sixth St.
Technically it's got 2 street addresses.

Offline jborger

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2010, 07:52:31 AM »
1275 and 1281 West Sixth St.
Technically it's got 2 street addresses.

Ok.  That's the building I posted a pic of in this thread on October 23, looking through the window...

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
Some changes on W. 9th.  From Scene:

W. 9th Getting a Mini Makeover
Posted by Vince Grzegorek on Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM

The stretch of W. 9th street between St. Clair and Superior a block barren of entertainment, at least compared to W. 6th and E. 4th, except for Mallorca will see the addition of two new dining/clubbing options soon.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2010/05/24/w-9th-getting-a-mini-makeover

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »
Fantastic!  A place where people will finally have to dress up a bit. So tired of seeing so many males (more so than the ladies) dressing like slobs to visit rather nicer downtown venues... Sneakers, blue jeans, a tee, and a gut...beer/cigarette in hand...good to go!

Glad someone wants to see something more classy. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:24:00 AM by Etheostoma Caeruleum »

Offline jmpippin

• 279'-First Energy Center

Offline jborger

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »
Has anyone heard any details on the property on 1293 West 9th Street? I just saw it in the Board of Zoning Appeals. May need to wait til June 21st. Thanks!!

It's going to be run be the same people behind "Lucic's" on the East Bank of the Flats at 1204 Old River Rd.  (it used to be Scripts, The Jungle, Kaos, etc...)  It will probably be very similar to Anatomy in its vibe...  (for better or for worse)

The space on West 9th is currently the Lakeland Employment office, so I guess a restaurant/nightclub/lounge will be a step up.  Still, I really don't want the Warehouse District to take the same route the Flats took...

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2010, 01:51:10 PM »
Moved discussion about the safety and vibrancy of the Warehouse District vs. Flats East Bank to:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,23450.msg490215.html#msg490215
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline ccars

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2010, 12:31:11 PM »
Has anyone heard of _any_ plans to at least partially infill the darned parking lots on W6th and W. St.Clair? They really take away from the atmosphere of the place, IMO. And the one north of St. Clair is half the reason why traffic is always so congested!

I imagine though that those parking lots probably make more money than the bars do.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2010, 12:32:53 PM »
there have been several proposals and there are separate threads on them.  nothing happening any time soon. global. credit. crisis.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline CBC

• Just a Gigalo in the "Real Housewives of Cleveland!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2010, 01:01:15 PM »
there have been several proposals and there are separate threads on them.  nothing happening any time soon. global. credit. crisis.

(shakes head sadly)

Someday.....
If I were a color, I'd be bitter brown. As in Cleveland Browns fan bitter....

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »
by the way just as a side note... on a board like urban ohio, there really isn't ever a need to post something like "has anyone heard about anything going with this project?"  I mean... if news breaks on a 500m to 1b project involoving corporate headquarters, apartments, condos, and retail... someone will let us know about it.  ;)

Offline bumsquare

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2010, 02:15:05 PM »
by the way just as a side note... on a board like urban ohio, there really isn't ever a need to post something like "has anyone heard about anything going with this project?"  I mean... if news breaks on a 500m to 1b project involoving corporate headquarters, apartments, condos, and retail... someone will let us know about it.  ;)

Fool me once (flashback to me checking the "Gilbane" thread from the home page five minutes ago) shame on you,  fool me twice............really?  On two separate threads?

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2010, 02:19:03 PM »
sorry... the wink was thrown out to let it be known i wasn't trying to be a jerk. not to lead on that there was breaking news on a project :) (smiley face probably would have been the more appropriate emoticon)... and i was referring to the stark plan as the other thread.  nothing newsworthy currently happening.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:20:25 PM by McCleveland »

Offline ccars

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
My mistake! Next time...I'll keep 'em buried until I know something. Maybe time for some investigative research?

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »

Was out and got this shot.
Demolition of the 3-level parking deck has begun at W. 6th & Superior. By late afternoon and into dusk they were going at it full swing. Patrons dining on any of the W. 6th patios had front row seats as this was taking place. I'm not sure if this means there is some sort of forward progress on developing this vast sea of parking.
It could be that it will just become a surface lot (indefinitely?). I couldn't tell if the small building, around which this parking deck is built, will be getting the ax. As McCleveland said many months back, it is Cleveland's oldest building (aside from Dunham Tavern).

Here is a part of the very old building. Everybody get your historic stone blocks if you can!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:26:57 PM by Clueless,Ohio »

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
    • Quality Chatter!
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »
My ill-informed guess is that based on our history, it will remain a surface parking lot indefinitely. And, if we are going to have all these parking lots in the heart of the city, the least they can do is add some pedestrian appeal to them with trees, brick looking walk ways and a couple benches..then it might be nice if the lot operator actually took care of the place too with basics like litter clean-up and any planter maintenance. My guess is that it will be an empty black top lot....eventually get crumbly, littered.... and just plain dirty looking. Any wagers on this? With all this supposed "demand" for more parking downtown... I guess this means people and new businesses are banging the door down to come downtown, right? (by the way, I am just being sarcastic because I am over the surface parking lot thing, already!)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:41:41 PM by Etheostoma Caeruleum »

Offline TMH

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2010, 04:52:27 AM »
Why demolish a three-story parking garage to build a surface parking lot?

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • vive la France
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2010, 05:19:58 AM »

It is a condemned structure that is generating no revenue.
As a surface parking lot it can almost immediately start making money, and the stage is set to more easily develop this superblock of parking sometime in the future. Perhaps not for a long while.

Remove Ads