Author Topic: Cleveland: Warehouse District: Development and News  (Read 344279 times)

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
Cleveland: Warehouse District: Development and News
« on: May 08, 2005, 07:38:21 AM »
From cleveland.com
Historic Warehouse District to get $500,000 makeover
Sunday, May 08, 2005
Donna Iacoboni
Plain Dealer Reporter
Browning scrubby shrubs adorned with wind-strewn trash along St. Clair Avenue will become history in the Historic Warehouse District.

Next month, the district's community development corporation will begin a $500,000 streetscape project that will include benches, trees, stone planters, huge hanging flower baskets and flags.

More at http://www.cleveland.com
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:06:54 PM by ColDayMan »

Offline bizbiz

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • I Just Can't Get Enough.. OF CLEVELAND!
Re: Cleveland: Warehouse District Developments
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 09:43:56 AM »
This is another small project that will help shape up Cleveland in the long-run. It's lots of small projects throughout that make a difference. I overheard a woman speaking last week to someone else about the Warehouse District. The woman was asking where it is and what it's all about. The woman seemed anxious to see it and said she is planning to check it out this summer. My point is that she obviously has never been there and has high hopes of visiting it now that she has heard so much good about it. While most of us Clevelander's on urbanohio.com probably go downtown and see the WD 50-100+ (or some of us who see it and live it 365+) times a year, this is good news that outsiders who were stuck in suburban neighborhood's their entire lives are now coming back into the city again because of its new "fun and safe" image that is emerging. I know a lot of people who used to fear downtown, but nowadays they have a new outlook on things. My brother used to work downtown in the early 90's and hated it. When I told him about all the stuff going on, especially with living in the WD, he didn't believe me and he still said there is no hope.. but when I sent him pictures and told him how things have changed, he was very surprised. In general, that image is slowly changing for those who used to dis-like the city into an image of opportunity for anyone who is willing to return.

-John
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 09:50:11 AM by bizbiz »

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 01:29:31 PM »
I was very happy to read this article in this morning's PD!  I'm curious to see what these "pocket park" look like, but I know from my experience in other cities that these types of additions (plantings, pocket parks, etc) can do WONDERS for a neighborhood's feel both to residents and visitors. 

Another thing I'm curious about is that this comes at the same time as Downtown business/property owners are considering establishing a Business Improvement District.  Greening and streetscape improvements are typically projects that BIDs engage in, so maybe this will set a good example of what a neighborhood BID can provide.  Also, BIDs have traditionally provided clean-up and maintenance crews that could be responsible for tending to various green elements of the Downtown area...a bit more glamorous than just sweeping up litter!

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 03:11:02 PM »
allll riiight tee now!

as mgd said, pocket parks downtown are where it's at! maybe one will be a dog run? also, they need to make sure they can lock'em up at night.

yay for small parks on your block!
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 08:07:11 PM »
Good for the WD!  This sort of thing definitely helps to make a neighborhood that's as "hard" as the Warehouse District work.  Right now those streets are a little sunbeaten and barren, and there is nowhere to sit and relax if you don't want to pay for a drink or a meal.  Trees and a couple little parks will definitely help that.

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 08:55:52 PM »
Do they ever mention whom to contact for corporate sponsorship??
Work hard.

Offline WoollyBear

• I'm a Witness
  • 468'-Scripps Center
  • Born: Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 08:55:52 PM »
The best news from this article is that they expect 10,000 to be living there in 10 years. Right now we are at 3,000 so I guess we can start hoping for some more large scale projects in the near future. The parks are a step in the right direction, and is definately going to make the place more attractive.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 09:20:26 PM »
yeah, that's one of those optimist projection sort of things that doesn't really have an grounds in reality...they've probably been saying 10,000 since 1985.  Of course I'd love to see it, but we all know there are some big time hurdles to get over before that golden number is reached!

Offline WoollyBear

• I'm a Witness
  • 468'-Scripps Center
  • Born: Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 09:43:49 PM »
It could be one of those aim high, so if you hit half-way you are still happy things. But saying 10,000 by 2015 in 1985 is a lot different then saying 10,000 by 2015 in 2005. Either way it is awesome that 3,000 people live down there now.

Offline zaceman

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • zaklong.tumblr.com
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 10:21:30 PM »
some project renderings for the new corner parks

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 11:57:06 PM »
that's great!  anything that says "we care about our neighborhood" is great for residents, merchants and developers.  Now, to fill in those empty spaces around the pocket parks...

this is a great move for the CDC and it's great to know that this type of thing can happen from the neighborhood level, since it would likely take much longer if run out of City Hall.  it should provide a great example to others around Downtown and the rest of the city!

Offline nsc

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 09:50:39 AM »
This is very exciting.  It will really give the area the residential look it needs.  A smaler scale developement but probably one of the more important in the city right now.  I think this bueatification will entice homebuyers.  Instead of looking like a "warehouse district" it will look more like a neighborhood.

Offline nsc

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 09:53:13 AM »
This will give all the drinkers a place to pass out on a Saturday night after they leave the bars.

Offline JohnOSU99

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 10:35:23 AM »
The Short North has also started building "pocket parks" along High St.   Is this an old concept that has regained popularity or is this a new concept for urban neighborhoods?

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 02:01:02 PM »
^pocket parks are old old news. good ideas as long as they are watched and maintained.

ps--the cheapo alternative to a pocket park is the much more informal empty lot casita, another good thing any of the neighbors can do and share.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline bizbiz

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • I Just Can't Get Enough.. OF CLEVELAND!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 09:45:12 PM »
I was hanging out on West 9th yesterday because my friend does valet parking for a few places. I was there for a few hours and I happened to walk from East 14th and it was 90 degrees outside, so when I got there, I was finding myself quite exhausted. I ended up sitting on dirty ledges in front of the Hart Condominiums at the Hart Building (since the only other place to sit was on the ground or a dirty garbage can). I kept saying, "Damn, I love sitting here watching the action from the street level, but I wish I had a place to sit!" And now from these renderings, I am very happy.. I can already see myself sitting at the pocket park at West 9 and St. Claire on a weekday night for several hours.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 09:46:13 PM by bizbiz »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2005, 10:22:27 PM »
Where are the Hart condos?

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2005, 02:14:59 PM »
this is nice now that the neighborhood is starting to mature and grow without the "purposed" advertising/Marketing.

Now lets hear some GOOD news on developments in PARKING LOT LAND!!
my 2 ˘     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 01:21:44 PM »

Offline Ewoops

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 11:10:39 AM »
^Has there been any progress on these pocket parks?  I haven't noticed that they've done any work, and was wondering if I'm just missing them or if the project has been put on hold.  Does anyone have any info on this?  Thanks.

Offline ohiocity1

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 06:26:32 PM »
this is too cool.  Think other neighborhoods will follow suit downtown?  The city should force all of the new developments to get in on this as well. 

I heard that there's a group trying to brand cleveland as the Green city on the blue lake.  Stuff like this surely helps that.

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 06:51:20 PM »
Cool idea..but I'm more in favor of central meeting points....urban plazas of sorts (know what I mean).  Dont get me wrong...this will be a neat thing for this extremely neat neighborhood, but it could be more urban to me.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 12:17:56 PM »
What? No bike racks.
So sad.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 07:20:10 PM »
I did not mean to sound negative.
This is really good.

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 07:38:34 PM »
I heard that there's a group trying to brand cleveland as the Green city on the blue lake

That is ecocitycleveland's tagline.  www.ecocitycleveland.org
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Offline zaceman

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • zaklong.tumblr.com
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 08:11:17 PM »
http://www.greencitybluelake.org/

what about this website...?

Offline metrocity

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Wherever you are, Whatever you do, Look Around You
    • 650sq ft...Inspired and creative design for small spaces
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 11:26:41 AM »
I heard that there's a group trying to brand cleveland as the Green city on the blue lake

What ever happened to being "the Forest City", did the Ratners trademark it and steal it?
Cul de sac is just another word for Dead End.

www.650sqft.com

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 11:51:20 AM »
^Ya, and they gave the name to NYC. 

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 02:23:52 PM »
greencity blue lake is a project of ecocitycleveland.  i believe the site is currently being redeveloped to enable more community participation.  something along the lines of http://realneo.us 
does anyone have any word on when the parks are to be completed? it would certainly add a lot to the area, esp if they included bike racks! (i for one am tired of locking my bike to the trees)
  it looks like bike racks may be a standard for all future parkworks projects as their most recent project at e. 9th and huron has quite a few and employs them in an interesting way, almost as a sort of fence.
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 01:37:24 PM »
new site for the long proposed greening of the warehouse district

WoW in the Warhouse District promises lots of giant hanging planters, but as of yet, little else...

http://www.wowinwarehouse.com/
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 07:43:41 AM »
I got the following press release this morning...

Next week, on July 13th, Cleveland’s Historic Warehouse District will begin construction on a new streetscape.  The streetscape improvements will occur on West Sixth Street between St Clair Avenue and Frankfort Avenue will include widened sidewalks, pedestrian “bump outs” at the crosswalks , street furniture, seating, plantings, and historic markers.  The street will be restriped. It will include parking lanes, a center turn lane and two travel lanes designed to be shared bike lanes.  This configuration was designed to accommodate Warehouse District traffic.

Through the leadership of Councilman Joe Cimperman, the Historic Warehouse District Development Corporation was able to work with District stakeholders to enhance the streetscape in front of their businesses.  Councilman Cimperman secure City funding through the Public Service and Economic Development Departments.  This funding solution has allowed the District to creatively implement ideas developed in the District’s Master Plan now as opposed to waiting for more complex funding strategies such as Federal Transportation Dollars.  Councilman Cimperman stated that, “It is important to put every dollar that we have toward the growth of the city.  Using this money for economic development will strengthen the businesses in the Warehouse District and bolster one of the City’s economic generators.”

This project represents one of the first steps toward implementing the Historic Warehouse District’s Public Realm Plan—a multi-year community planning process focused on improving the quality of life in the District through physical improvements.  The Plan, which was adopted by the Cleveland City Planning Commission in 2007, identifies opportunities in the District for amenities such as park space, public art, and a wayfinding system that provides information about the District and its history.

Rick Parker, architect for Brandstetter Carroll in the Bradley Building and Chairperson of the Historic Warehouse District Public Realm Committee stated, “With a mature, established residential district such as the Warehouse District, enhancing public spaces is essential to sustaining its vitality.  This project will act as a model for the rest of the District as we continue to implement the community’s plan.”
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
Wow, I was wondering when this was going to FINALLY happen...and it looks like only a baby step at that.  Glad to see that some progress is being made...as usual looks like $$$ was and is the big hold up.  Welcome to America.

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 11:54:54 AM »
I'm a little surprised they opted with going from st. clair to frankfurt first, as opposed to st. clair to lakeside.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline jpop

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Banned!
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 01:48:52 PM »
Yeah .. me, too. I actually just re-read that and was just as surprised.

Maybe they want to help kickstart that stretch up a bit?

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 01:50:48 PM »
Maybe I'm missing it...what is the general timeline?
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Remove Ads