Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: 515 Euclid Avenue  (Read 179276 times)

Offline Klingaling87

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
Re: Cleveland: Downtown: 515 Euclid Avenue
« Reply #630 on: May 01, 2017, 12:52:13 AM »
The Crains article from last month said ground breaking, so to speak, is in June. And there seems to be enough confusion above that I won't hold my breath for tomorrow. Btw, anybody know if the building will be steel or ptc?

Steel

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #631 on: May 01, 2017, 08:36:02 AM »
So, I parked in 515 today and walked an extra 800 feet to work. There were 4-5 men sitting in the bed of a pickup truck with blueprints and a GIANT yeti cooler, so of course I approached them. They stated that GC, CM, and subs were mostly in line and that they are using this week and part of next as a "walk-through" of each phase with all of them. Not entirely sure what that means, but it appears that preparations begin today but construction will likely not begin until after these "walk-throughs" are complete.
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #632 on: May 01, 2017, 08:52:31 AM »
^ can anyone more in tune with construction tell me what the hell a walk through is?
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #633 on: May 01, 2017, 09:04:27 AM »
^^I guess my question is why would you have a CM and GC.  If they are going the CM route aren't all the other trades prime contractors?  Or are they going the GC and subcontractor route and the CM is more or less just reporting back to the owner and letting the GC run the show?

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #634 on: May 01, 2017, 09:40:37 AM »
^ can anyone more in tune with construction tell me what the hell a walk through is?

Basically it's reviewing the scope of the drawing set in relation to various trades so that all subs are (hopefully) on the same page with construction sequencing, who is handling what aspects of the project, scheduling, project requirements, submittals, staffing, shop drawings, purchasing, etc. etc. etc. so that the project can happen as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #635 on: May 01, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
^^I guess my question is why would you have a CM and GC.  If they are going the CM route aren't all the other trades prime contractors?  Or are they going the GC and subcontractor route and the CM is more or less just reporting back to the owner and letting the GC run the show?

I may have misspoken. Forgive me, I am not overly familiar with the procedural aspects of construction. What I was told is that all of the players are in line, basically

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #636 on: May 02, 2017, 12:10:56 AM »
Something like that...
live small  dream big

Offline cfdwarrior

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #637 on: May 02, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »
Nice rendering!  That building will then be blocked with the view of NuCLEus, correct?

Offline smith

• formerly CorySnyder
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
    • Kevin Smith Photography
« Reply #638 on: May 02, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »

I may have misspoken. Forgive me, I am not overly familiar with the procedural aspects of construction. What I was told is that all of the players are in line, basically

They very well could have both a CM and GC.  Construction Manager could be internal to Stark, who would work with, oversee, and manage the General Contractor. 

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #639 on: May 02, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
^That's very common for this type of project. A ton (most?) of big developers have internal construction managers that are savvy to exactly what the developer likes to do, how they like to handle certain situations that arise, how they like to value engineer certain areas if needed, etc. It streamlines the process and removes the need for meetings that take up valuable time and energy and replaces them with one internal expert who acts on behalf of the developer.

Offline sabotage619

• New User
« Reply #640 on: May 02, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »
Not to mention, that someone has to have the developers best interest at heart and not leave it to trusting the GC or the city inspector to make sure the project is built to plan and spec.

Offline Htsguy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #641 on: May 02, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
^There of course is nothing wrong with having an owners rep on site fulfilling the duties described above, but I would not consider that role a classic Construction Manager.

In a traditional CM scenario the owner contracts with the CM  and it basically guides all the other trades (scheduling, negotiating  change orders and the like, as a couple of examples).  The owner then directly contracts with all the other trades (steel erection, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.)

If you have a GC he basically runs the show and the trades are subcontractors who contract directly with GC not the owner.  There are important legal distinctions.

I would imagine if there is a GC and CM (again more of an owners rep) duties are going to have to be spelled out in writing or there could be mass confusion on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:38:41 AM by Htsguy »

Offline Clefan98

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #642 on: May 11, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
Looks like the height of the Beacon has increased by 20'. 

REHEARING FROM SEPTEMBER 26, 2016
9:30
Calendar No. 16-237:
515 Euclid Avenue
Ward 3
Kerry McCormack
11 Notices
Euclid Avenue Garage LLC., owner, proposes to erect a 19 story residential addition on an existing 8 story parking garage in an E5 General Retail Business District. The owner appeals for relief from the following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:
1. Section 355.04 which states that in an E area district the maximum gross floor area cannot exceed 1 times the lot area. In this case 55,461 square feet of maximum gross floor area is permitted and 265,160 square feet of maximum gross floor area (excluding parking garage area) is proposed.
2. Section 353.01 which states that in a 5 height district a 250 foot maximum height is permitted and the appellant is proposing a 355 foot height.
3. Section 357.09(b)(2)(c) which states that an interior side yard equal to the height of the building is required and none proposed.
4. Section 357.08(b)(2) which states that a rear yard equal to the height of the building is required and no rear yard is proposed.
5. Section 357.05(a) which states that a side street yard of five feet is required. (Filed August 29, 2016-Testimony Taken) REHEARING DUE TO AN ADMINISTRATIVE ERROR REGARDING A CHANGE IN THE HEIGHT OF THE BUILDING.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/cpc.html

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #643 on: May 11, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »
How are they going to get away with not having a 177.5 foot rear yard?  Where will the swing set go?

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #644 on: May 11, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »
Duh, the amenity level ;-)

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #645 on: May 11, 2017, 12:59:41 PM »
Looks like the height of the Beacon has increased by 20'. 

REHEARING FROM SEPTEMBER 26, 2016
9:30
Calendar No. 16-237:
515 Euclid Avenue
Ward 3
Kerry McCormack
11 Notices
Euclid Avenue Garage LLC., owner, proposes to erect a 19 story residential addition on an existing 8 story parking garage in an E5 General Retail Business District. The owner appeals for relief from the following sections of the Cleveland Codified Ordinances:
1. Section 355.04 which states that in an E area district the maximum gross floor area cannot exceed 1 times the lot area. In this case 55,461 square feet of maximum gross floor area is permitted and 265,160 square feet of maximum gross floor area (excluding parking garage area) is proposed.
2. Section 353.01 which states that in a 5 height district a 250 foot maximum height is permitted and the appellant is proposing a 355 foot height.
3. Section 357.09(b)(2)(c) which states that an interior side yard equal to the height of the building is required and none proposed.
4. Section 357.08(b)(2) which states that a rear yard equal to the height of the building is required and no rear yard is proposed.
5. Section 357.05(a) which states that a side street yard of five feet is required. (Filed August 29, 2016-Testimony Taken) REHEARING DUE TO AN ADMINISTRATIVE ERROR REGARDING A CHANGE IN THE HEIGHT OF THE BUILDING.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/cpc.html

It would be lovely to see the top floor be sold as duplex penthouses, not unlike many residential towers in NY and Chicago

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #646 on: May 16, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
I so badly want this to start. "Crane-in-the-sky" during the NBA finals (knock on wood) just sends SUCH a different message visually.

Offline Deech

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #647 on: May 16, 2017, 12:51:29 PM »
I thought people's "sources" said May 1st is the start date?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #648 on: May 16, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »
See the post by clefan98 from May 11?
"George Washington could never tell a lie.
Richard Nixon could never tell the truth.
Donald Trump cannot tell the difference."

-- Mark Shields,  News Hour

Offline mack34

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #649 on: May 16, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
can anyone explain why there is a 250' height limit in that area of Downtown Cleveland??  Some of these zoning requirements are ridiculous.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #650 on: May 16, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »
^The current zoning serves no purpose other than forcing developers to come to the city for discretionary approvals, so the city can weigh in on the design.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #651 on: May 16, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
I thought people's "sources" said May 1st is the start date?

Yeah, these same sources I had heard it from say that there has been staff to the site daily since May 1st. Nonetheless, would be nice to see the construction beginning, as finance is lined up.

Offline CleveFan

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #652 on: May 17, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »
So when might we finally see the crane for 515?

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #653 on: May 18, 2017, 08:03:01 AM »
Sometime this summer.  They are finalizing financing as we speak.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #654 on: May 18, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »

wow, now this is the kind of anecdotal on the scene good news we love -- thanks.

yeah, when they do these walk-throughs, all the contractors on-site with paperwork walking around, it is on, on on -- and soon -- at least that is what i see when things get built around ny town.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #655 on: May 18, 2017, 04:43:37 PM »
A reliable source has told me construction probably won't begin until August...

Offline simplythis

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #656 on: May 18, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »
and why is your source telling us that we have a 2-3 month delay. I thought financing was wrapped up in late April.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #657 on: May 18, 2017, 04:55:30 PM »
I'll bet the typo in the PZD variance screwed things up. A new building permit will have to be issued. And I can only imagine what a building permit for a residential skyscraper looks like....

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:57:47 PM by KJP »

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #658 on: May 18, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
No reason given but everyone was surprised at the delay. Sorry I can't give more info

Offline Klingaling87

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #659 on: May 18, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »
A reliable source has told me construction probably won't begin until August...

Yup. At the earliest.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #660 on: May 18, 2017, 05:20:42 PM »
I know everyone wants to ask the same questions and people want ground broken right after project announcements. This is complex stuff. But I have to ask does anyone know what this says about the legitimacy of NuCleUs?

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #661 on: May 19, 2017, 01:34:32 PM »
Just talked to a couple people at least nominally involved he feel duped, to say the least.

If this is any indication of how Stark would handle NuCLEus, I wouldn't ever expect to see it in the sky. Hopefully, that's different, though, given the tenant commitments.

As noted above, I know this is complex, but this is so unbelievably frustrating. Especially when you see the speed with which 25th and Detroit is moving (I know they're completely different developments with differing zoning requirements etc etc). Nonetheless, it IS possible for projects to move expeditiously in Cleveland.

Offline YABO713

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #662 on: May 19, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
Another concern, just given my profession... continuous delays after financing has been closed often results in litigation, especially on a project of this size where some of the subs have cleared their calendars. I'm being a pessimist, one of you PLEASE save me and remind me that I'm being unreasonable.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #663 on: May 19, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »
If the cause of delay is the typo in the BZA variance, wouldn't it be cheaper just to press ahead with a building that's 15 feet shorter?

Offline w28th

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #664 on: May 19, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
So removing 2 floors of apartments renting at $2/sf, paying the architect and engineers too?
"When you stand at the corner of Euclid Avenue and East Ninth Street in Cleveland, you stand at one of the busiest corners in the world -- and in the heart of a shopping district known far and wide for its many fine shops."

Remove Ads