Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: 515 Euclid Avenue  (Read 186025 times)

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
Re: 515 Euclid Avenue Garage
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2005, 09:56:39 AM »
Work hard.

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2005, 09:56:55 AM »
Work hard.

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2005, 09:58:08 AM »
Work hard.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2005, 04:22:22 PM »
another stroll by this week reinforced my earlier statement...I like the aesthetics of this building a lot!  The different glass materials encasing the garage reflect the historic buildings around 515 in a very attractive way.  nice job.

also, there are no "for rent" or "for lease" signs on the structure...does this mean they've got a tenant lined up???

can you imagine if they put in a Whole Foods and built the tower on top???  Those places would sell like hotcakes!!!  And the apartments all around (East 4th, Euclid, Prospect, etc) would get a nice boost as well...

Offline urbanlife

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • don't be complacent. innovate.
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2005, 05:08:33 PM »
there is one sign posted on the far west window that says "retail space available."

i think they are experimenting with some colorful window coverings as opposed to the normal "for lease" signs. 

i don't think there is room for even a small whole foods.  if you look at the spaces, they are divided in the middle by garage pedestrian entrance from euclid.  and i don't know of the ultimate build out opportunities, but it appears more suited for retail rather than restuarant / grocery use.

i'd like to see 2 things: 1) Baja Fresh on the corner with some nice umbrellas and a little fenced in dining.  I've done some analysis (and forwarded this to Baja Fresh), but basically there doesn't appear to be anyone locally who wants to underwrite this and corporate franchises are on hold for now. 

2) Move the starbucks from BP.  I know it does brisk business from the tower, but after hours and weekends, even when open, doesn't give nearly as good street presence as most suburban strip malls.

a nice wide sidewalk like this needs some trees and some tables and umbrellas.
"Never mistake motion for action." - E. Hemingway

Offline zaceman

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • zaklong.tumblr.com
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2005, 08:28:07 AM »
^it would go well with the arcade restaurants next to it. 

i was driving home the one day and i really like the contrasting look of this building.  my only issue is they need to finish it, it even looks like it should have a tower...

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2005, 09:16:56 AM »
thanks for the comments, urbanlife.  I really haven't looked through the windows and didn't notice how the spaces were divided.  I'm just a big dork for Whole Foods and couldn't get the image out of my mind! 

on your other comments...I agree.  There's ample sidewalk space for cafe/restaurant seating and plantings.  An earlier comment here questioned if they were waiting for Euclid Corridor construction to finish up before throwing a bunch of money at sidewalk improvements that might have to be moved for construction anyways...

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2005, 01:08:34 PM »
Check out this article from propertiesmag.com - it has a small rendering of the condo tower... I think this project would look much better with *that* on top.

Please don't post their pics here, folks :-)

http://www.propertiesmag.com/current/2005-09/515.htm

Offline zaceman

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • zaklong.tumblr.com
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2005, 08:14:18 PM »
oh wow, i like it aside from the weird roof, i say just keep it flat and simple.

its funny, working for the art museum at ingenuity i must have heard at least ten people talking about how they "heard theres going to be a condo tower going up" too...

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2005, 01:50:14 PM »
why is the tower offset from the main parking structure? i'm just going to assume it has to do with structual supports or something..........

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2005, 01:57:28 PM »
This looks the same as those pics from a long time ago...still not doing much of anything for me.  Although, I'd love to see them build it!

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2005, 02:16:22 PM »
Wow, it actually sounds like this tower might actually get built
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2005, 03:31:54 PM »
"why is the tower offset from the main parking structure?"

The elevator core is located closer to the southeast corner of the garage. My guess is that the tower would just continue from that.

It would be interesting to see this building in the skyline - it would be at a distinct angle from 5/3rd since it would front Euclid.

Offline Punch

« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2005, 10:40:24 AM »
Is there some sort of height restriction for buildings next to the arcade?  I just noticed that the BP garage and the 515 garage are the same height as the arcade.  Maybe that is why the tower is offset.
Just a thought

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2005, 11:43:20 AM »
i think it looks interesting which in a way is outside of good or bad -- it grabs your attention. best of all it's forward thinking which we need to see more of. i hope everyone read that propertiesmag article mayday linked it was very informative to hear the inside story. i liked the inspirational quote at the end from daivid goldberg, co-chair of ohio savings bank:

“This building, the Business Improvement District (BID) that's underway and House of Blues are each a small part of the solution for downtown Cleveland,” Goldberg says. “I look at this building as 1% of the solution, but if there are a hundred of these sorts of projects, then you have New York City or Chicago. You can do it. When you put the BID, the House of Blues and the 515 building together with housing and controlling the panhandling, they all add up together. Each party basically has to put in its 1% and take the risk. You put them all together and, no question, Downtown Cleveland will become spectacular.”

"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2005, 02:20:57 PM »
From the article, it doesn't seem like the condo project is going to happen anytime soon.  Yet, I think that it will happen sometime. 

Offline WoollyBear

• I'm a Witness
  • 468'-Scripps Center
  • Born: Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2005, 12:09:22 PM »
“All utilities have been sized for the addition and the core support is already there,” he says. “So now when a developer comes through, it can basically just start construction, raising the steel frame. All the tricky issues involved have been resolved. The elevators and stairwells are installed. Everything has been engineering to support this tower.

“With the Euclid Avenue Corridor project two years from completion, the timing is right for a developer to take over and have the 515 Euclid high rise completed at the same time. It's available as soon as someone comes in with a proposal that we will accept.”

I  think that construction on a tower may start this time next year. Judging by the Pinnacle project, it would probably take at least 1.5-2 years to build, which would coincide with the completion of the ECP. With the tower not covering the entire width of the garage I think it would be cool if they made the open area into a green space for the residents.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2005, 03:10:51 PM »
Word is that the residential tower will not be happening anytime soon. The market precludes a developer from getting a high enough price per square foot.

Offline Punch

« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2005, 07:17:18 PM »
How long was the Pinnacle garage there before Pinnacle.

By the way, they must have put up another piece of glass, what happened to the updates??

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2005, 07:32:53 PM »
I believe the Pinnacle garage was a former warehouse, converted for parking. It was not built with Pinnacle in mind.

KJP
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2005, 07:58:04 AM »
^The garage had to have been built with the Pinnacle in mind.  THe inner core of a warehouse could never support a 12 story addition atop it nor could the conventional spread/footer/column pad for a warehouse support the addition.

Offline urbanlife

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2005, 09:00:23 AM »
depending on when these buildings were built, it was fairly common in cleveland during the growth years to actually size the buildings to support upward additions.  Obviously, many of the buildings in the warehouse area were not built this way b/c they are old and meant to be 4 story or 6 story buildings, however it wouldn't surprise me that this warehouse/parking structure may have been built with upward additions in mind. 

i haven't seen the inside of the garage, but it almost appears that in the pinnacle case, they may have transferred most of the weight to the new steel skeleton, in which case, the garage itself would not have had to be built with upward additions in mind.  Any insights?

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2005, 01:19:30 PM »
Urbanlife, I believe you're correct -- the Pinnacle's support is independent of the warehouse. Its skeleton kind of "wraps around" the exterior of the warehouse to anchor at street level.

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2005, 02:10:22 PM »
i have to laugh that we've discussed a parking garage for 163 posts.........what are we, detroit?

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2005, 02:32:01 PM »
but it's a parking garage with so much potential!

Offline Punch

« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2005, 04:06:17 PM »
Any word on the tenants?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2005, 04:35:53 PM »
i have to laugh that we've discussed a parking garage for 163 posts.........what are we, detroit?

Not exactly, no.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2005, 05:17:44 PM »
Any word on the tenants?

Unfortunately, I'm not too confident that we'll see any tenants until the Euclid Corridor construction is wrapped up.  I wouldn't want to open my business here with the amount of heavy machinery that's out front right now and nothing to separate us but a big sheet of glass!

I hope I'm wrong, though, cause I walk by here every day and I could use some new shoes...Camper, perhaps?  Kenneth Cole?  I could even buy my girl some makeup if there was something in a...say...Sephora?

Offline Ewoops

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2005, 09:50:42 AM »
I would agree that leasings on Lower Euclid may be sparse until the completion of the Corridor.  I talked to someone close to the leasing operations for one of the buildings in Playhouse Square, and potential tenants are paying for options to the storefronts in that building that would allow them the opportunity to lease after the completion of the Corridor. 

I also heard from a non-profit currently headquartered in a storefront on Lower Euclid that they will likely be forced out at the end of their lease, due to cost projections for the space based on a completed Corridor.

Offline Punch

« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2005, 11:28:15 AM »
What is the timetable for Euclid Ave construction to be finished between Public Sq. and E. 9th?

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2005, 11:36:51 AM »
my 2 ˘     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2005, 07:51:38 PM »
They're better than a year behind on the timeline they have on that site.

Offline urbanlife

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2005, 10:30:41 AM »
you have to dig deeper.  they have updated the timeline in only certain sections.  i have emailed a few times regarding conflicting data and lack of updates - check out the press release and recent update sections.  very slim pickings here.  In good RTA style, no response or corrections made. 

Hello?  this is one of the biggest construction projects in cleveland now.

What I also don't understand is why the Public Square to Innerbelt portion was slated to be completed AFTER the Innerbelt to E.79th street section.  This never made any sense and is actually penalizing downtown by keeping merchants away from the storefronts even longer than needed. 

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2005, 11:12:13 AM »
yes, that is an interesting choice, but I would like to think that there's a good reason for it!

anyone here on the Citizen's Advisory Committee for the RTA?

Offline Deech

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2006, 08:07:08 PM »
Is there any update on the residential tower being built on top?

Remove Ads