Author Topic: Akron: Random Development News & Info  (Read 295759 times)

Offline RubberSoul

• 0'-Surface Lot
    • Historic Goodyear Heights
Re: Akron: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #1015 on: August 15, 2017, 10:56:08 AM »
I think the Whole Foods 365 will be a better fit, too. For those who weren't familiar with Whole Foods (like me) the thinking was that it would be almost a direct a replacement for West Point - which it clearly is not. The "365" concept is even further from this; far less "high-end" offerings, but more quality-at-a--fair price-focused, and with prepared foods, etc. as well. Hopefully this will complement what Mustard Seed and even Acme #1 has to offer. Regardless, folks in West Akron can't complain.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
Re: Akron: Downtown: Development and News
« Reply #1017 on: August 24, 2017, 09:52:15 AM »
Akron awarded $5.7 million for Evans Avenue bridge construction
Posted on August 23, 2017 at 3:59 PM
By Brittany Nader, special to cleveland.com

AKRON, Ohio -- Akron will receive $5.7 million in FASTLANE grant funding to construct a bridge along Evans Avenue over CSX and Metro RTA railroad tracks.

The project includes the construction of pair of bridges to realign Evans Avenue, removing a potentially dangerous at-grade crossing with both CSX and Metro RTA railroads.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2017/08/akron_awarded_partial_funding.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Online audidave

• 947'-Key Tower
  • Akron skyline
Re: Re: Akron: Downtown: Development and News
« Reply #1018 on: August 24, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »
This isn't really downtown as its in the chapel hill area.  The road is not that heavily used of a road but since the crossing gets blocked a lot by some traffic and train movements it was decided to build a bridge over it in order to allow safety vehicles through and not have school buses cross the tracks any more.
  This is definitely a nicety.  It is one less at-grade crossing to worry about for trains in the Akron area.  I don't think this changes the equation much of any new passenger service whether the dinner train concept or commuter.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1019 on: August 28, 2017, 10:16:44 AM »
Testa Cos. plans 40 townhomes for refugees in Akron's North Hill
Posted on August 25, 2017 at 3:59 PM
By Jennifer Conn, Akron reporter, cleveland.com

AKRON, Ohio - Testa Companies plans to build 40 townhomes in North Hill, in what will be the first new family housing development in North Akron in more than 20 years.

Through a partnership with the International Institute of Akron, the city and the Ohio Housing Finance Agency, Testa plans to break ground in spring 2018 on the International House at San Tomasso (Italian for St. Thomas). The units will be built on land near St. Thomas Hospital and St. Anthony of Padua Parish on N. Main Street and is intended to be largely occupied by refugees.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2017/08/testa_companies_to_build_new_h.html#incart_river_index

Rolling Acres demolition continues; JCPenney is coming down
Published: August 24, 2017 - 4:02 PM | Updated: August 24, 2017 - 9:34 PM
By Betty Lin-Fisher

Demolition on the former Rolling Acres Mall continues, including at the former J.C. Penney Outlet building.

Wrecking crews began work on the former department store a few weeks ago after the city of Akron officially took ownership. J.C. Penney donated the building to the city, but legal issues took longer than expected for the transfer, said Brad Beckert, city development engineering manager in the mayor’s office of economic development.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/breaking-news/rolling-acres-demolition-continues-jcpenney-is-coming-down

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1020 on: August 30, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »
Plan to transform Akron's iconic Rubber Bowl into entertainment venue is dead
Updated on August 29, 2017 at 2:28 PM Posted on August 29, 2017 at 2:26 PM

AKRON, Ohio - Efforts to revitalize Akron's iconic Rubber Bowl as a live music and entertainment venue have come to an end.

Team 1 Marketing Group, the Rubber Bowl's recent owners, posted this message on the stadium's Facebook page on Tuesday.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2017/08/efforts_end_to_transform_akron.html#incart_river_home

Offline jeremyck01

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #1021 on: August 30, 2017, 11:54:59 PM »

AKRON, Ohio - Efforts to revitalize Akron's iconic Rubber Bowl as a live music and entertainment venue have come to an end.

Team 1 Marketing Group, the Rubber Bowl's recent owners, posted this message on the stadium's Facebook page on Tuesday.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2017/08/efforts_end_to_transform_akron.html#incart_river_home

Not surprised about this. The RB is in such bad shape it's going to be difficult to rehab it. I would like to see it repourposed, but I have a feeling the wrecking ball is imminent.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1022 on: August 31, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »

Not surprised about this. The RB is in such bad shape it's going to be difficult to rehab it. I would like to see it repourposed, but I have a feeling the wrecking ball is imminent.

It's a goner at this point. Give the land to the airport or Derby.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1023 on: September 12, 2017, 12:32:29 PM »
 September 10, 2017 4:00 am      Updated 2 days ago
Akron's Middlebury neighborhood is a microcosm of the city itself
Area mixes the new development, old character and blight typical of former industrial towns
By DAN SHINGLER

Put the entire Rust Belt into a snow globe, and you might get something like Middlebury.

"There's definitely a little bit of everything here," said Jason Segedy, Akron's director of planning and urban development, on a recent tour he gave of the Akron neighborhood, which he says was a town even before the Rubber City itself was founded in 1825.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170910/news/134896/akrons-middlebury-neighborhood-microcosm-city-itself

Offline jeremyck01

« Reply #1024 on: September 12, 2017, 08:06:52 PM »
The Akron Whole Foods 365 was/is slated to open today, Sept 12. At least that's what the sign said when I was there a month ago. Anyone stop in?

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1025 on: September 15, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »
I did, and it was packed.  Of course it still has the newness factor.

The integration with Amazon is still a work in progress.  For example, Business Insider reported some time ago that Amazon Prime members would get discounts at Whole Foods (http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-prime-whole-foods-discount-2017-8), but no such system was in place there and the place was aggressively signing people up for its 365 Rewards program.

The place felt surprisingly small, all things considered.  I don't know if that was an illusion because of the crowds, but I don't really think it is.  Also, because of the lack of a second level, the cafe portion of the store really feels a lot more like just eating in the middle of a grocery store (which will likely greatly limit its appeal, especially in colder months when the street-level outdoor seating isn't really usable), whereas the second-floor Mustard Seed Cafe only a mile or two away down Market is going to get much more mileage out of its cafe.  The prepared food section of the Whole Foods 365, however, is considerably larger.

I laugh at the plaza as a whole now, because it's like a Buzzfeed article about "How Basic Are You?" come to life: Whole Foods 365, Lululemon, OrangeTheory, a nail spa, and a ritzy pet store (as well as the Piada and the Great Clips, but eh).

Offline jeremyck01

« Reply #1026 on: September 15, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
^The 365 stores are generally smaller than most regular Whole Foods size stores. Also, the café in the middle of the store is a similar set up to how most Whole Foods stores have them set up. It does lead to some awkward shopping traffic patterns as Whole Foods stores are not known for their great inside design or traffic flow.

I'm interested to see how this new store as well as the upscale stores in the plaza will impact the Wallhaven neighborhood which can sometimes be a little rough around the edges.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1027 on: Yesterday at 09:57:18 PM »
Downtown Akron Vision & Redevelopment Plan lays out plan for more vibrant city
http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2017/09/donwtown_akron_vision_redevelo.html
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Remove Ads