Author Topic: Akron: Random Development News & Info  (Read 295809 times)

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
Re: Akron: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #980 on: January 24, 2017, 06:17:53 PM »
Akron’s 2017 construction plan slashes spending by more than $75 million
By Doug Livingston
Beacon Journal staff writer

Big ticket purchases include $533,000 to equip police with body cameras by summer, a $3 million resurfacing of Tallmadge Avenue (funded mostly by the Ohio Department of Transportation) and a new $21.5 million Akron Municipal Courthouse between the Akron STEM Middle School and East Bowery Street.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/akron-s-2017-construction-plan-slashes-spending-by-more-than-75-million-1.742631

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #981 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:24 PM »
B.F. Goodrich smokestack getting cut in half to ‘RICH’
By Rick Armon
 Published: January 24, 2017 - 02:59 PM | Updated: January 25, 2017 - 07:23 AM

An Akron landmark is getting a big haircut.

The city plans to chop off 100 feet from one of the iconic red brick B.F. Goodrich smokestacks along South Main Street for safety reasons.

The smokestacks, both rising 195 feet and with the word “GOODRICH” on them in white, have towered over the city skyline for about 100 years.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/b-f-goodrich-smokestack-getting-cut-in-half-to-rich-1.742784

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #982 on: February 01, 2017, 11:52:40 AM »
I didn't find a separate Fairlawn or Copley-Fairlawn news and developments thread, and I'm not sure it would get much use if it did (and I think I might have seen Fairlawn news on here already earlier vis-a-vis the Omnova building going vacant).  Regardless, this story deserves more press than it's getting:

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/fairlawn-flipping-the-switch-on-its-new-internet-utility-1.744012

Fairlawn flipping the switch on its new internet utility

The Perkins family has jettisoned their private internet provider and recently became one of the first households in the community to connect to FairlawnGig, a new city-owned, citywide and super-fast broadband utility.

The Akron suburb is investing about $10 million to install fiber — which will deliver speeds of up to 1 gigabit — on every street in the community and the Joint Economic Development District, bringing not only internet service but also phone service literally to the front doors of homeowners and businesses alike.

The city is now flipping the switch on the first installations.

====================================

I'm not far from the Akron-Fairlawn border and I really hope that they ultimately expand the service.  So sick of Time Warner.  If this muni fiber network proves to be financially sustainable (and legally sustainable, I know TWC lobbies heavily to ban competition like this and preserve its hellish monopoly), and my wife and I do decide to decamp for the suburbs when our eldest child comes of age, the availability of a service like this would actually be a fairly salient factor in our decision as to what suburbs to look at.  (Fairlawn also has the advantage of being fairly close-in, so I wouldn't actually be moving that much farther away from downtown and my and my wife's jobs.)

Seriously, I wish Akron could pull off something like this.  Considering the extraordinary strain on the capital budget flowing (no pun intended) from the CSO project, I'm sure it's unlikely, but man it would be great to see.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #983 on: February 07, 2017, 09:01:17 AM »
Developer proposes new restaurants, retail in Fairlawn
By Rick Armon
 Published: February 6, 2017 - 06:36 PM | Updated: February 7, 2017 - 07:34 AM

FAIRLAWN: A developer is proposing to tear down an aging shopping center along West Market Street and construct a new 9,400-square-foot building for two restaurants and a retail store.

The project, located at 2858 and 2872 W. Market St. near the Fairlawn Town Centre, is expected to cost about $1 million.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/developer-proposes-new-restaurants-retail-in-fairlawn-1.745625#

PPG, Universal Display Corp. to make a $15 million investment in Barberton plant
By Scott Suttell
 February 06, 2017 Updated 20 hours ago

A $15 million investment in a Barberton plant operated by Pittsburgh-based PPG (NYSE: PPG) that makes materials for Universal Display Corp. (Nasdaq: OLED) of Ewing, N.J., will lead to the addition of 20 jobs. The companies on Monday, Feb. 6, announced that the investment will double the commercial production capacity for Universal Display's UniversalPHOLED phosphorescent emitter products. The expansion project is scheduled to be completed in the third quarter of this year, according to a news…

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20170206/NEWS/170209884/ppg-universal-display-corp-to-make-a-15-million-investment-in

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #984 on: February 07, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
I barely even notice that shopping center when I drive by it.  I would question the need for new restaurant and retail space in Fairlawn generally (Fairlawn is in many respects the poster child for America's glut of retail space), but if a developer really wants to take a stab at it, no one will miss the buildings currently in that space, so have at it.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #985 on: February 08, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
I barely even notice that shopping center when I drive by it.  I would question the need for new restaurant and retail space in Fairlawn generally (Fairlawn is in many respects the poster child for America's glut of retail space), but if a developer really wants to take a stab at it, no one will miss the buildings currently in that space, so have at it.

You need to hone your architectural eye! ha
It's not a great looking building. They painted it a couple of years ago, but they only painted the front. If you look at the side you can see the original treatment. It looks really bad, but I guess they figure most people don't notice that kind of thing.
In terms of more restaurants, I think there will always be a demand. If you look at the Belden area it doesn't strike you as the type of place where restaurants are tested for the Ohio market, but it indeed is.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #986 on: February 16, 2017, 05:16:55 PM »
Akron Children’s Hospital commits more than $250,000 to North High School health academy
By Monica L. Thomas
Published: February 15, 2017 - 04:12 PM

The Akron Public Schools and Akron Children’s Hospital are expanding their partnership to further develop North High School’s Academy of Health and Human Services.

Superintendent David James announced a $250,000 commitment from Children’s at his annual State of the Schools address Wednesday during the Akron Press Club’s luncheon with about 400 attendees at Quaker Station. The hospital also is committing $150,000 for in-kind services that will include internships, teacher externships on the Children’s campus, white-coat experiences, speakers, job shadowing and other programs.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/akron-children-s-hospital-commits-more-than-250-000-to-north-high-school-health-academy-1.747614

Offline NEOBuckeye

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #987 on: February 16, 2017, 07:48:39 PM »
In terms of more restaurants, I think there will always be a demand. If you look at the Belden area it doesn't strike you as the type of place where restaurants are tested for the Ohio market, but it indeed is.
The Belden Village/Strip area is very much like the "Mini-Columbus" of NE Ohio in this regard. Many new concepts usually open there before they move further north into Akron and Cleveland if they are successful.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #988 on: March 02, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »
North Hill's Exchange House opens refugee community center and Airbnb
By Jennifer Conn, Akron reporter, cleveland.com
on March 01, 2017 at 4:33 PM, updated March 01, 2017 at 6:18 PM

AKRON, Ohio - North Hill's Exchange House, a community center for refugees downstairs with an international hostel upstairs, opened its doors to the Akron community on Tuesday.

The once-deteriorating three-bedroom house is already generating bookings on Airbnb, which lists it as "Little Bhutan in Akron," for $27 per night.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2017/03/north_hills_exchange_house_ope.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #989 on: March 24, 2017, 10:05:28 AM »
Business group seeks train depot in Merriman Valley
By Mary Beth Breckenridge
Published: March 21, 2017 - 12:13 PM

A business group is hoping to get a train depot built in Akron’s Merriman Valley.

Whether that’s possible, however, isn’t clear to the many entities that would be involved.

The newly formed Merriman Valley Business Association has posted a petition on Change.org encouraging the construction of the building, which would serve as a stop for the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/business-group-seeks-train-depot-in-merriman-valley-1.755109

Future is uncertain for $200,000 tax-delinquent and dilapidated Rubber Bowl
By Doug Livingston
Published: March 23, 2017 - 02:44 PM

Back taxes are approaching $200,000 at the Rubber Bowl as the private owner punts on a football-themed reutilization plan. Now, the owner is selling a $9.2 million renovation to convert the iconic stadium into “the second-largest venue in Northeast Ohio for holding concerts” and outdoor music festivals.

But, quietly, leaders from the city and county are inching toward foreclosing on what has become a safety concern. A garage beneath the bleachers caught fire in January, and there have been reports of unauthorized inhabitants.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/future-is-uncertain-for-200-000-tax-delinquent-and-dilapidated-rubber-bowl-1.755745#
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:18:41 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #990 on: April 06, 2017, 09:39:32 AM »
Summit County Land Bank moves to foreclose on Rubber Bowl
By Doug Livingston
Published: April 5, 2017 - 12:20 PM | Updated: April 6, 2017 - 08:18 AM

The deteriorating Rubber Bowl could be rock ’n’ rolling if Akron rezones it for music concerts, a move its latest owners say would unleash millions of dollars in private investments from the other side of the country.

No more back taxes, which are approaching $200,000. No more unsightly and unsafe conditions.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/summit-county-land-bank-moves-to-foreclose-on-rubber-bowl-1.758407

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #991 on: April 10, 2017, 09:46:02 AM »
On tax incentives for home building, Horrigan says no time ‘to be timid or reserved’
By Doug Livingston
Published: April 9, 2017 - 10:54 PM | Updated: April 10, 2017 - 07:20 AM

Tucked between the Little Cuyahoga River and scenic cliff, a sign beckons Akronites to come home.

“A great place to live along the Towpath Trail,” it reads. Beyond it, two houses stand like lonely sentinels at the frontier of a development off Hickory Street. White flowers blossom on rows of dogwood trees. A winding road connects fire hydrants and electrical boxes, each with an address but no mailbox.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/on-tax-incentives-for-home-building-horrigan-says-no-time-to-be-timid-or-reserved-1.759483

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #992 on: April 19, 2017, 09:48:02 AM »
This happened quietly. I guess a data center doesn't make the mouth water but $17 mil. is nothing to sneeze at.

Bridgestone Americas rededicates its data center in Akron
By Beacon Journal staff report
Published: April 18, 2017 - 06:02 PM | Updated: April 19, 2017 - 08:22 AM

Bridgestone Americas on Tuesday rededicated its newly consolidated data center in Akron after a two-year, $17.3 million renovation project.

The 10,000-square-foot Akron Data Center houses the tire maker’s core information technology systems, including 3,000 physical and virtual servers.

http://www.ohio.com/business/bridgestone-americas-rededicates-its-data-center-in-akron-1.761344

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #993 on: May 09, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »
Akron to consider taking ownership of J.C. Penney store at Rolling Acres Mall to tear it down
By Rick Armon
Published: May 8, 2017 - 02:48 PM | Updated: May 9, 2017 - 07:24 AM

Akron is considering taking ownership of the former J.C. Penney store at Rolling Acres Mall and possibly demolishing the building.

The Plano, Texas-based department store chain has agreed to give the vacant building to the city at no cost.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/akron-to-consider-taking-ownership-of-j-c-penney-store-at-rolling-acres-mall-to-tear-it-down-1.765600#

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #994 on: May 15, 2017, 09:05:36 AM »
Fairlawn approves project to bring CoreLife Eatery and City Barbecue to community
By Rick Armon
Published: May 12, 2017 - 12:43 PM

RLAWN: The city Planning Commission has approved a proposal to tear down the aging Wyant Buildings along West Market Street to make room for a new complex featuring two restaurants.

“That’s a big plus for that area,” Mayor Bill Roth said Friday. “Those buildings have outlived their use.”

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/fairlawn-approves-project-to-bring-corelife-eatery-and-city-barbecue-to-community-1.766473

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #995 on: May 15, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »
CoreLife is so good. We just had one open up in Ithaca, NY and it's like Chipolte, but healthy and cheap. You can get a decent meal for about $10.

These are the buildings to be razed: https://goo.gl/maps/UC6x86LEdK12 . Not a big loss it would be nice if this was the catalyst for more urban developments along West Market.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #996 on: May 15, 2017, 04:30:12 PM »
CoreLife is so good. We just had one open up in Ithaca, NY and it's like Chipolte, but healthy and cheap. You can get a decent meal for about $10.

These are the buildings to be razed: https://goo.gl/maps/UC6x86LEdK12 . Not a big loss it would be nice if this was the catalyst for more urban developments along West Market.

Look at the aerial. These are deep buildings. I wonder if the whole strip mall is coming down on both lots?

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #997 on: May 16, 2017, 07:28:43 AM »
I am thinking so. They were not that well maintained partly because of the vacancy.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #998 on: May 16, 2017, 08:50:06 AM »
Akron commission to guide ‘complete streets’ effort
By Paula Schleis
Published: May 15, 2017 - 10:10 PM

new Akron city commission will guide efforts to create safer and friendlier streets that blend cars, pedestrians and bikes to meet modern urban needs.

City Council Monday approved the formation of the Complete, Livable and Green Streets Advisory Commission, which will develop recommendations for use in future transportation and infrastructure plans.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/akron-commission-to-guide-complete-streets-effort-1.767223
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 08:50:23 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #999 on: May 16, 2017, 10:34:47 AM »
I always have mixed feelings about announcements like that.  Of course, I support efforts to create safer and friendlier multimodal streets (not to mention multimodal developments along those multimodal streets).  But why does this need a new commission?  Why not just incorporate complete streets principles into the operating principles of the already-existing planning department, zoning commission, etc.?  There are plenty of urban enthusiasts already in those departments; it's not like the people there are just hearing about these principles for the first time and need an advisory commission to get them up to speed.  Is this just going to effectively add another cook to the kitchen?

Maybe I'm overrreacting, of course, and I obviously appreciate the general symbolic statement of priorities that the city is making here.

Offline audidave

• 947'-Key Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #1000 on: May 16, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »
I would imagine that the purpose is to revisit all thoroughfares in the city and figure out where they can be improved with these new guidelines. Figure out how much it will cost per street and let the powers that be figure out which streets will give the community the biggest bang for the buck to implement.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1001 on: May 16, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »
I would imagine that the purpose is to revisit all thoroughfares in the city and figure out where they can be improved with these new guidelines.

My first thought is how strange and off putting it is to be walking to Musica or Crave on Market St. and have cars zipping past you going +50 mph.   

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1002 on: May 16, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
I always have mixed feelings about announcements like that.  Of course, I support efforts to create safer and friendlier multimodal streets (not to mention multimodal developments along those multimodal streets).  But why does this need a new commission?  Why not just incorporate complete streets principles into the operating principles of the already-existing planning department, zoning commission, etc.?  There are plenty of urban enthusiasts already in those departments; it's not like the people there are just hearing about these principles for the first time and need an advisory commission to get them up to speed.  Is this just going to effectively add another cook to the kitchen?

Maybe I'm overrreacting, of course, and I obviously appreciate the general symbolic statement of priorities that the city is making here.

The ordinance states that the commission is comprised of the following:
Director of Planning (or someone designated by them)
Director of Public Service (or someone designated by them)
Two City Council members
3 members of the public at large (non-compensated positions)

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1003 on: May 19, 2017, 04:50:50 PM »
Fairlawn looks to buy vacant property along Ridgewood Road
By Rick Armon
Published: May 18, 2017 - 02:50 PM | Updated: May 19, 2017 - 07:39 AM

FAIRLAWN: The city is looking to buy 14.5 acres of vacant property along Ridgewood Road to help expand its Fairlawn Corporate Park and improve stormwater retention.

Fairlawn has a tentative deal in place to purchase the land for $805,000 from the Presentation of Our Lord Romanian Orthodox Church at 3365 Ridgewood.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/fairlawn-looks-to-buy-vacant-property-along-ridgewood-road-1.767959
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:51:33 PM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1004 on: May 31, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »
Old Akron buildings are new again thanks to historic preservation that earns recognition
By Katie Byard
Published: May 30, 2017 - 09:12 PM | Updated: May 31, 2017 - 08:26 AM

Dan Sarvis stands on an old wood floor in one of Akron’s newest urban apartment buildings — in a restored old tire factory near downtown.

“This is ancient ground,” Sarvis said of the restored floor. “This wood would have been grown in the 1700s and 1800s and put in here in 1904.”

http://www.ohio.com/business/old-akron-buildings-are-new-again-thanks-to-historic-preservation-that-earns-recognition-1.770826#

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1005 on: June 05, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »
Akron planning commissioners recommend against approving medical marijuana facilities
By Doug Livingston
Published: June 2, 2017 - 04:48 PM

The Akron Planning Commission shot down every proposal in the first round of prospective medical mari­juana growers.

The five-member commission met Friday, splitting 3-2 on four proposals for marijuana grow sites in Akron and unanimously voting down a fifth on South Broadway after its backer didn’t show up to lobby for the plan.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/akron-planning-commissioners-recommend-against-approving-medical-marijuana-facilities-1.771577

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1006 on: July 06, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »
Akron opens application window for residential property tax breaks
By Doug Livingston
Published: July 5, 2017 - 02:20 PM | Updated: July 5, 2017 - 11:02 PM

Akron is now accepting applications for tax breaks on new or remodeled homes, including work completed months ago.

The Ohio Department of Development in June accepted Mayor Dan Horrigan’s request to make the entire city a “community reinvestment area.” The declaration allows for tax exemptions on the improved value of property due to new construction. Horrigan’s plan, among the most liberal adopted by any Ohio mayor, forgives 100 percent of additional property taxes for 15 years on any new home or projects of $5,000 or more.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/akron-opens-application-window-for-residential-property-tax-breaks-1.778547

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1007 on: July 13, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »
Whole Foods in West Akron to open Sept. 14, anchors new plaza
By Katie Byard
Published: July 12, 2017 - 12:02 PM | Updated: July 13, 2017 - 08:04 AM

Whole Foods has finally revealed an opening date for its store in the Wallhaven neighborhood of West Akron: Sept. 14.

The store — at 1745 W. Market St. in the new West Market Street Station shopping plaza — will be the first Whole Foods store in the Akron area and the first Whole Foods Market 365 to open in Ohio.

http://www.ohio.com/business/whole-foods-in-west-akron-to-open-sept-14-anchors-new-plaza-1.779821

Offline jeremyck01

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #1008 on: July 13, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
^Finally. It feels like they've been building that Whole Foods 365 forever.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:51:10 AM by jeremyck01 »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1009 on: July 26, 2017, 07:20:40 AM »
Yea, they definitely stopped for a while once the shell was done.

Offline jeremyck01

« Reply #1010 on: July 26, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »

I was concerned that the Akron store might be the victim of Whole Food's downsizing over the past six months. There have been several projects across the country that were canceled or abandoned. I'm glad to see that's not the case here.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:25:56 PM by jeremyck01 »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1011 on: July 29, 2017, 05:53:06 PM »

I was concerned that the Akron store might be the victim of Whole Food's downsizing over the past six months. There have been several projects across the country that were canceled or abandoned. I'm glad to see that's not the case here.

It was actually a victim. It was announced and sold as a Whole Foods. Once approved, they came back later and changed it to the 365 by Whole Foods. But, from some of the articles I read they are not building the traditional Whole Foods anymore.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1012 on: August 11, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »

It was actually a victim. It was announced and sold as a Whole Foods. Once approved, they came back later and changed it to the 365 by Whole Foods. But, from some of the articles I read they are not building the traditional Whole Foods anymore.

Late to this, but I think a 365 is clearly a better fit there, anyway.  With Mustard Seed, West Point, and Earth Fare all not far from there, the premium organic grocery section in Akron is already brutally competitive for a metro our size.

Offline jeremyck01

« Reply #1013 on: August 11, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »

Late to this, but I think a 365 is clearly a better fit there, anyway.  With Mustard Seed, West Point, and Earth Fare all not far from there, the premium organic grocery section in Akron is already brutally competitive for a metro our size.

I agree.  Akron has an amazing amount of grocery options, both high-end and on down.  The opening date for WF 365 is September 14.

I was back in Akron two weeks ago for a few days and I also got a chance to check out the "new" West Point Market.  I'm happy it's there and the products offered were good, but I really didn't like the way the interior space was chopped up.  There are different rooms for different products as opposed to a large, un-interrupted space where a shopper could look around and see everything.  I thought the design inside was inefficient and looked cheap.

The new Mustard Seed it great, especially the upstairs bar area.  My only complaint is the awkward entrance to the upstairs which is by the exit from the downstairs store.  The downstairs store also has a different entrance, so it makes for a strange flow.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:10:28 PM by jeremyck01 »

Offline audidave

• 947'-Key Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #1014 on: August 11, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
^I'm not sure that west point is finished with their layout. I think they are slowly adding departments. If I'm wrong, then yea its lame.  I would expect a flow to it.  This is just putting out their best high margin items with cheese and alcohol.

Remove Ads