Author Topic: Akron: Random Development News & Info  (Read 290811 times)

jeremyhz, clevezip, audidave and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Akron: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2010, 07:19:16 AM »
Any word on what, if anything, might be moving into the old Key space at Bowery & Main?

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2010, 07:27:50 AM »
Any word on what, if anything, might be moving into the old Key space at Bowery & Main?

I haven't heard anything.  There are some other businesses in that building though.  I was surprised to read that they only leased that space.  Odd b/c they have their sign at the top of the building.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2010, 07:44:27 AM »
I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about that.  Many marquee tenants don't own their own office buildings; professional management companies do.  I'm pretty sure the Advanced Elastomer Systems building just a couple of blocks to the south, for example, isn't owned by AES.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:45:15 AM by Gramarye »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2010, 08:00:17 AM »
I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about that.  Many marquee tenants don't own their own office buildings; professional management companies do.  I'm pretty sure the Advanced Elastomer Systems building just a couple of blocks to the south, for example, isn't owned by AES.

I understand that.  It makes sense that if a large company is leasing space under a contract that you would give them priviliges, or maybe they pay more for that.  The problem is when they leave and take their sign down the older, sometimes historic buildings are left with holes in the stone/ masonry and irregular weather in those spots.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2010, 08:07:13 AM »
Too true. :-(  Though I think the larger problem is the empty space on the inside of the buildings, not the outside.

I don't know the official figures, but just from walking around downtown at lunchtime and in the evenings, there are way too many "Space Available" signs up, including some on buildings that look to be in pretty good shape.  In addition, many of the largest buildings don't put up such signs, so if any of the towers in the Cascade area

Offline JamesMatthew

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Very Interesting Indeed!!!
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »
Havnt been on here in awhile..so heres my two cents..
I like whats being down around lock 3.. The new Key building is nice.. Akron needs more steel and glass structures.. (could have been taller though) 

I would love to see the area around gojo and spaghetti warehouse built up a bit more..  Oh..and when are we going to see that new downtown hotel?   I would love to see an art museum hotel like the one in louisville,ky..
You will never be a Leader unless you first learn to follow and be led!

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »
Too true. :-(  Though I think the larger problem is the empty space on the inside of the buildings, not the outside.

I don't know the official figures, but just from walking around downtown at lunchtime and in the evenings, there are way too many "Space Available" signs up, including some on buildings that look to be in pretty good shape.  In addition, many of the largest buildings don't put up such signs, so if any of the towers in the Cascade area

Very true.  DAP is working to get more small business downtown, maybe even do a market type setup.  As a side note, I looked up at the Key signage on the old building and it looks like its hung with hooks over the parapet,  not attached directly to the building. 

Havnt been on here in awhile..so heres my two cents..
I like whats being down around lock 3.. The new Key building is nice.. Akron needs more steel and glass structures.. (could have been taller though) 

I would love to see the area around gojo and spaghetti warehouse built up a bit more..  Oh..and when are we going to see that new downtown hotel?   I would love to see an art museum hotel like the one in louisville,ky..

The hotel should be officially announced in about 1-2 months.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:22:25 PM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline JamesMatthew

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2010, 05:32:51 AM »
I was surfing the web and found this company (MSI) that has drawings for an renovation of the Cascade plaza area.

The project description states the following:
The premier business and public center in downtown Akron, Cascade Plaza is a rooftop structure consisting of a 6-acre public square, built over a 5-level underground parking facility. The goal is to redesign the plaza, improve connections to the garage below, and strengthen the connections between the plaza and surrounding streets and venues. Surrounded by the highest density of office use in Akron, the plaza has a unique opportunity to become the civic gateway to the city.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:44:53 AM by JamesMatthew »

Offline G-Mann17

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »

If you have any other information on this please share.

I had heard several "theories" and rumors on something being attached to the Greystone or something being built around Canal Park.  Mostly though I had heard that hotels were reluctant to do anything without a commitment from the city to get more people downtown (meaning shows, expos, arena?)

Offline G-Mann17

« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2010, 08:37:06 AM »
oops  :-( repeat post
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:51:34 AM by G-Mann17 »

Offline G-Mann17

« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2010, 08:37:48 AM »
oops again
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:51:52 AM by G-Mann17 »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2010, 08:16:25 AM »

If you have any other information on this please share.

I had heard several "theories" and rumors on something being attached to the Greystone or something being built around Canal Park.  Mostly though I had heard that hotels were reluctant to do anything without a commitment from the city to get more people downtown (meaning shows, expos, arena?)

I don't really have any concrete evidence, just some rumors.  Someone pointed and said, you should hear about a chain hotel there in about 1-2 months.  As far as location, let me put it this way.  There is one venue that already attracts out of town visitors, but can't get a large amount b/c of...no chain hotel.  People want to be able to reserve a hotel online, get to the hotel and walk to their destination as well as restaurants/nightlife.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:17:58 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: April 06, 2010, 08:29:20 AM »
Nice!  I just posted some photos of this area.  Any idea if this is still a go, or how old this is?  The reason I ask is b/c the Lock area on the south of the plan is built a little differently than what is shown.

Offline JamesMatthew

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »

I know the Art Museum attracts alot of out of towners especially on free admission sundays.. the Knight Center is innovative on events that attract visitors..  You talking about one of those or another?

I've heard rumors of a Hyatt Regency trying to get into the Akron scene. It would def have to be somehow connected to the Knight center.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:56:37 PM by JamesMatthew »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2010, 08:43:51 AM »
 2010 STATE-OF-THE-CITY ADDRESS
Plusquellic takes lead

Highland Square grocery and Goodyear complex are priorities for Akron

By Stephanie Warsmith
Beacon Journal staff writer

Akron wants to take the lead on bringing a grocery store to Highland Square, Mayor Don Plusquellic announced Thursday in his annual state-of-the-city speech.

The city is working on an agreement with Steve Albrecht and his real estate company to buy the buildings, property and parking lot that Albrecht owns in Highland Square for ''just their cost,'' Plusquellic said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/90331719.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: April 14, 2010, 07:45:26 AM »
Board rejects State Road deal

By Betty Lin-Fisher,
Katie Byard
and Gina Mace
Beacon Journal writers

CUYAHOGA FALLS: A proposed $60 million retail development on the site of the former State Road Shopping Center has fallen through after the Cuyahoga Falls Board of Education rejected a tax-sharing plan.

The school board, in a 3-2 vote Monday, rejected the city's proposal to split tax revenues on improvements 78 percent to 22 percent, with the city taking most of the money to pay for its $13 million in costs to buy the land and make

http://www.ohio.com/news/90802359.html

Offline G-Mann17

« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Board rejects State Road deal

By Betty Lin-Fisher,
Katie Byard
and Gina Mace
Beacon Journal writers

CUYAHOGA FALLS: A proposed $60 million retail development on the site of the former State Road Shopping Center has fallen through after the Cuyahoga Falls Board of Education rejected a tax-sharing plan.

The school board, in a 3-2 vote Monday, rejected the city's proposal to split tax revenues on improvements 78 percent to 22 percent, with the city taking most of the money to pay for its $13 million in costs to buy the land and make

http://www.ohio.com/news/90802359.html

Yeah Cuyahoga Falls really let the school board "screw the pooch" on this one.  What part of $250,000 is more than 0 did they miss out on?  What because you want it 50/50 so that the city ends up defaulting on the debt?  They were also going to build housing in parts of that project and that revenue wouldn't have been part of the "in lieu of taxes" proposal, it was just for the retail.  Have fun getting money from the dirt piles that are there.

Online audidave

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2010, 11:15:12 AM »
^The development plans for this are murky at best.  I think the school board realizes this.  Basically they are needing to take a pittance of the tax money and like it so that this development can be started and be successful.  Well maybe the development plans aren't so good then.  If $20-30,000 a year in additional tax revenue is going to do this project in, then really they shouldn't do the project.

The premise for the project is that Starks wants to put a big flashy grocery store smack up against Portage Trail.  A store has not been named.  There is a nice Giant Eagle 2-3 blocks away.  There is an ACME that is in need of a serious makeover/rebuild about 10+ blocks away.  The obvious thought would be to make this a new ACME.  But that is not the Albrecht's M.O.  The Albrechts own much property in Akron and own ACME and would likely require that the store be on Albrecht controlled land and buildings. 

Say that Starks has come up with a Heinens to fill the space or maybe a Buehlers.  He still needs to fill the other retail spots and is supposedly going to keep it mixed with offices and condos up above the retail below.   i think this idea could've got off the ground 7-8 years ago.  The reality is Chapel Hill's retail complex is 5 minutes away and it takes 8-10 minutes to get to Montrose/Summit Mall from there.  There are still retail shops up and down State rd and Portage trails. 

I don't believe that Starks has retailers banging down his door to try to get their stores into this development.  Even the development he's essentially trying to emulate, 1st and Main in Hudson is having a challenging time keeping their stores from being vacant.

So perhaps another more community-minded developer with a bit more vision can put something together without needing to raid the property taxes.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2010, 06:47:12 AM »
Falls school board greenlights State Road project

By Gina Mace
Special to the Beacon Journal

CUYAHOGA FALLS: With two small changes and no extra money on the table from the city, the Cuyahoga Falls school board voted unanimously Monday to clear the way for the $60 million Portage Crossing development to move forward.

http://www.ohio.com/news/92728134.html

Offline CBC

• Just a Gigalo in the "Real Housewives of Cleveland!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
Looks like Tangier's is getting some facade work. There was a crew mortaring/nailing foam board to it when I ran by at lunch.
If I were a color, I'd be bitter brown. As in Cleveland Browns fan bitter....

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2010, 01:08:33 PM »
Looks like Tangier's is getting some facade work. There was a crew mortaring/nailing foam board to it when I ran by at lunch.

Yea, its starting to deteriorate pretty badly.  The parking garage is in bad shape as well and will probably get some work.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2010, 12:24:41 PM »
10 charter schools sue White Hat over assets

For-profit management firm founded by David Brennan has too much power, boards say

By John Higgins

The governing boards of 10 Ohio charter schools are challenging the legality of the state law regulating the for-profit corporation that operates their schools, Akron-based White Hat Management.

In a suit filed Monday in Franklin County Common Pleas Court, the school boards argue the law is unconstitutional because it gives too much power to White Hat, one of the largest charter school operators in the nation.

http://www.ohio.com/news/94046789.html

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2010, 01:56:23 PM »
My wife is a teacher.

She used to work for White Hat in Cleveland.

She had no breaks during the day, and had to eat lunch standing, while teaching class.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2010, 02:26:52 PM »
Demo work at Market St. Plaza strip mall.  This is the area that was once home to General Cinemas movie theater.  My guess is they are gutting it to add more retail space.

New home of One of a Kind pets in West Akron.  This is where the old bowling alley used to be.  Looks like they are keeping the steel sculpture that once marked the entrance to the bowling alley.

Construction at the new animal shelter near downtown

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
Aultman breaks ground on hospice
$5.9 million, 12-bed facility to offer end-of-life care in home-like setting
By Cheryl Powell
Beacon Journal medical writer

The 20,000-square-foot, 12-bed hospice will offer end-of-life care in a setting ''more analogous to what would be going on at home,'' said Dr. Steven David Grossman, medical director of Aultman Hospice and Palliative Care Services.

http://www.ohio.com/news/94995314.html

Mercy calls Aultman's tactics 'corrupt'
CEO Cecconi contends that secret 'bribes' to insurance brokers harmed hospital financially
By Cheryl Powell
Beacon Journal medical writer

http://www.ohio.com/news/94994899.html

I'm no math wiz, but $5.9 million for 12 beds seems like a bit much.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:58:40 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
I would almost think that the Aultman-Mercy litigation deserves its own thread; certainly if the same institutions were doing battle in a bigger burb, it would warrant more attention.  (Plus it's not quite "development" news.)  It's apparently gotten ugly between the two of them, which is a shame, because they are both major civic (as well as medical) institutions in Canton and have greater potential to be flagships of the area than any old Rust Belt industrial player (except maybe Timken).

With respect to the expense per bed of 12 beds: It's ridiculous, but what's most ridiculous about it is that it's not all that ridiculous.  Or at least, not all that unusual.  Elder care is a *huge* business nationally and is even more prominent than average in Ohio; the nursing home industry owns a controlling interest in numerous members of the General Assembly.  It's really disturbing, honestly.

It may seem like a lot to invest $5.9 million in 12 beds--but every single one of those beds can yield a *massive* amount of annual revenue.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:36:46 PM by Gramarye »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2010, 04:15:41 PM »
/\/\/\

As far as the law suit, it probably does deserve to be in the city discussion, but I found it funny that the two articles were released so close in time to each other.  One in praise of the new facility then the other with some pretty staunch accusations.

As far as the price of the hospice, I can understand the cost.  They probably have some public spaces, lots of medical equipment, cost of land, etc...  I am just puzzled why we continue to build all this crap that looks the same at such an exorbitant cost.  Pretty soon NE Ohio is going to look like a model train set.  Look at what Richard Rodgers did in the same type of setting recently:
http://www.richardrogers.co.uk/work/selected_works/maggie_s_centre/completed

It has received some of the highest acclaim that the Architecture and Healthcare realm have to offer.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:16:35 PM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »
Narrowing Portage Trail in the Falls a good thing, developer says
By Gina Mace

"Stark said worrying about cars instead of worrying about people creates urban sprawl."

http://www.ohio.com/news/95426374.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2010, 07:25:01 PM »

They really destroyed the character of the facade.

work continues at a snails pace on 22 Exchange:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:26:32 PM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2010, 10:38:30 AM »
They have torn out the storefronts in Highland Sq. in the old Two Amigos building.  New construction is finally underway!

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2010, 07:17:05 AM »
Knight Foundation grants $717,500

By Dorothy Shinn
Beacon Journal arts writer

The projects cover a broad range of endeavors, from the creation of a cultural center where artists can meet and share their work with the community to a variety of educational opportunities for students.

The Akron Area Arts Alliance received $200,000 to establish Summit Artspace, 140 E. Market St., as a central, highly visible headquarters for arts and culture by renovating and expanding its space in the 1927 art-deco building.

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/97125699.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2010, 12:08:55 PM »
Planners approve school locations

Administrative offices for Wadsworth schools will be part of building

By Beau Dusz

WADSWORTH: The Planning Commission this week approved site plans for three new elementary school buildings.

Isham Elementary will be built at 348 College St.; Valley View at 160 W. Good St.; and Overlook at 650 Broad St.

http://www.ohio.com/news/98485694.html

Pieces in place for developing Stow 'frontier'

Summa system states interest in area off Route 8. Hudson and Cuyahoga Falls join in partnership

By Paula Schleis

Hospital developers have announced their intent to build in the area, and officials from Stow and the bordering communities of Hudson and Cuyahoga Falls are considering a partnership to develop and market 99 acres together.

http://www.ohio.com/news/97831984.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: July 19, 2010, 04:07:20 PM »
DEFENSE PLAN

For nearly 30 years, All-America Bridge has lured suicidal people. Renovators hope new fence will be serious deterrent to jumpers

By Stephanie Warsmith

Those working on the Y-Bridge project realize it might not be feasible to design a fence that can't be scaled, but they've done their best.

At the same time, they've been challenged to balance this with other goals, including creating a product that doesn't disturb the view, is aesthetically pleasing, can be built, isn't too heavy for the bridge and stays within budget.

''Other than that, it's easy,'' said Travis Capper, another city engineer working on the project.

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/98692159.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »
Went around the Rolling Acres Mall yesterday, pretty scary site:

Testa developing some housing on Hawkins St.  There was a vacant strip mall on the site and it appears they used that structure and are building new housing on top.

Offline metrocity

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Wherever you are, Whatever you do, Look Around You
    • 650sq ft...Inspired and creative design for small spaces
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2010, 10:56:17 PM »
Wow, those Rolling Acres pictures are amazing, thanks for posting.  Hard to believe I worked there in college at The Athlete's Foot and to now see it in that state.
Cul de sac is just another word for Dead End.

www.650sqft.com

Remove Ads