Author Topic: Cincinnati: Findlay Market News & Info  (Read 41738 times)

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cincinnati: Findlay Market News & Info
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2015, 03:22:44 PM »
I bought 3 pounds of pork yesterday at Findlay market and spent the rest of the day roasting so I could have some pulled pork to pack for lunch the next few days. Talk about bad timing. Maybe I'll stop by Eli's in a couple weeks, hopefully it's BYOB but I don't know how that would work since most of the seating is out in the beer garden area.

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »
I was just wondering when Eli's was going to open! Wonderful news for OTR, bad news for my waistline, I fear.

Offline ProkNo5

• Living and Loving Milwaukee
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2015, 03:58:09 PM »
Just picked up my first helping. It's all togo (there are two picnic tables to eat inside, but they still serve you in togo containers) and there's no BYOB. This just makes me want an open container district set up in Over the Rhine so much more.
Here's to Cincinnati, The Queen of the West,
A dirty old city, but still nobly blest.
For it's here that fine arts with the frivolous twine,
A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2015, 11:54:37 AM »
Findlay Market's new construction project aims to attract new businesses (Video)
Apr 8, 2015, 12:18pm EDT
Andy Brownfield Reporter- Cincinnati Business Courier

Construction has begun on an industrial kitchen near Findlay Market that will be available to food entrepreneurs who want an entree into the market.

Corporation for Findlay Market President Joe Hansbauer announced on Wednesday that the corporation now owns the 8,000-square-foot building that will house the kitchen at 1719 Elm St. The kitchen is scheduled to open in the fall of 2015.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/04/08/findlay-markets-new-construction-project-aims-to.html
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2015, 03:38:05 PM »
EXCLUSIVE: Findlay Market expanding biergarten hours
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/04/17/exclusive-findlay-market-expanding-biergarten.html?r=full
Findlay Market is extending the hours that its biergarten is open as part of an effort to eventually keep the entire market open later into the evening.
The biergarten is currently open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. on Sundays. But with the addition of restaurants like Eli's BBQ, which is open until 9 p.m. at the market, it made sense to extend biergarten hours, Corporation for Findlay Market President and CEO Joe Hansbauer told me.

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2016, 01:07:29 PM »
This is behind the paywall, so I can't see the details: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/02/04/urban-grocery-store-coming-to-findlay-market.html

​Urban grocery store coming to Findlay Market

Two veterans of the grocery industry will open a small market and lunch counter just east of Findlay Market in September aimed at allowing people to do all of their grocery shopping at the venerable Cincinnati institution.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:07:41 PM by jwulsin »

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2016, 01:10:39 PM »
I believe this is the project on Race Street. It's been announced for some time and is supposed to sell staples that you currently can't get at the market itself (frozen foods, paper towels, cleaning supplies, snack foods, etc.). Not a lot of details have been released about it, though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:11:13 PM by ryanlammi »
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2016, 01:12:03 PM »
That would make sense. It would go in one of the buildings on Race that Model Group is renovating.

I'm curious who these "veterans of the grocery industry" are.

Offline Robu

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2016, 01:24:04 PM »
I'm curious who these "veterans of the grocery industry" are.

It's the people who own Fresh Table in the market.

They are "veterans" in the sense that she was a buyer and he was a corporate chef for Biggs.

ETA: It is on Race, in the Model Group's "Market Square" development.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:27:01 PM by Robu »

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »
The Enquirer is reporting that the "grocery store" will be named Epicurean Mercantile Co. and will go in 1818 Race St. It'll have a lunch counter and "offer fresh foods, shelf stable foods, libations, personal hygiene and seasonal gift items to complement what shoppers can find at Findlay Market." I'm excited about this, but it doesn't really sounds like a "grocery store". But whatever. It'll be good for the area.  Hopefully their hours reflect grocery hours and they stay open late.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/blogs/newintown/2016/02/05/new-otr-grocery-lunch-store-plans-september-opening/79867698/

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2016, 10:33:51 AM »

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:01 PM »
The storefront next to Eli's is going to be occupied by Deerhaus Decor, which is planning to open in September: http://www.deerhausdecor.com/

Online chinkley

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2016, 12:47:28 PM »
This is an observation totally based on my own perceptions, but I feel like there are more muslims frequenting the market now than in the past. I am there every weekend to buy groceries, and sometimes multiple times a weekend. I now see at least one person or family member wearing a hijab on every visit.

Personally, I am thrilled at this development and hope that they are finding the market experience to be a rewarding one. I'm also curious as to what shops they are using, particularly for meat. I would love to see a halal shop open up to hopefully draw more muslim cincinnatians to the market.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »
Shooting today at Our Daily Bread, the soup kitchen directly across from Findlay Market:
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/over-the-rhine/pd-two-people-shot-near-our-daily-bread-in-over-the-rhime

Luckily the market is closed on Mondays.  This is the sort of crazy gun crime that used to happen all the time in Over-the-Rhine.  It's a bit of a miracle that Findlay Market survived during the 80s and 90s.   

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »
Race Street between Liberty and Findlay Market still feels like the sketchiest part of the neighborhood. Even with all of the development happening right around Findlay Market, I predict Findlay is going to remain a somewhat isolated bubble separated from the southern half of OTR. I guess it will slowly clean up as the Findlay Market developments inch south and the developments along Liberty creep north.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:40:30 PM by taestell »
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline jdm00

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2017, 09:22:05 PM »
That's a weird one--shooting actually inside the soup kitchen.  Not that that is good, but it's a lot different than what the original tweets made it sound like (e.g., a shooting out on the street). 

Offline Rabbit Hash

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2017, 01:05:22 PM »
Reports in the media say it was DV related...a targeted attack.

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2017, 02:56:28 PM »
Findlay Market will stay open until 8 on Wednesday evenings, May to September:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/12/findlay-market-expands-hours.html

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2017, 08:27:16 PM »
Indian street food concept to pop up at Findlay Market

A new vendor selling Indian street food is popping up at Findlay Market this summer.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/12/exclusive-indian-street-food-concept-to-pop-up-at.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »
Findlay Market unveils new feature for extended summer hours

Cincinnati's oldest continually operating covered market unveiled a new tasty feature for its extended hours this summer.

Findlay Market installed a large outdoor demonstration grill at the Race Street entrance of the market along with several smaller grills nearby.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/12/findlay-market-unveils-new-feature-for-extended.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2017, 08:52:22 PM »
Findlay Market's president says, "Something strange is afoot in leader furniture. More action to come...."
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Online Cincy513

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »
That is a prime building at a prominent corner.  Opening up the top two levels of windows will make it look even better.  I would think they'd have a lot of interest if it went on the open market. 

Online jim uber

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2017, 11:03:45 AM »
I was under the impression that this building has already sold, and that's why Leader's moved out all of their stuff.

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »
I thought that it was the other way around. Leader's was choosing on their own terms to close and that is what prompted the building's sale. I seem to remember some knee jerk reactions about businesses being forced out and then further clarification that Leader was choosing to leave for their own reasons, none of which were because of rent increases, pressure from a landlord, or anything like what people were assuming or claiming.

Is that right? Or am I remembering a different business?

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »
Findlay Market's president says, "Something strange is afoot in leader furniture. More action to come...."

Also, "Be excellent to each other"

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
Leader closed because the owners were ready to retire. The building was put on the market while they were still having their clearance sale, I believe. I would not be surprised if it's already been sold and they're just waiting on a developer to make an announcement.

Offline IAGuy39

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
The new HCB Packet has a cool rehab of one of the builders on Elder front the Market which also fronts the walk way into the market from the parking lot to the north.

Which actually had me wondering, how many of the buildings lining the actual Market are occupied on the top floors?

Remove Ads