Author Topic: Cleveland Mayoral Race 2017  (Read 14305 times)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Re: Cleveland Mayoral Race 2017
« Reply #245 on: August 04, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
I haven't either.  I was referring specifically to mutual friends on my FB, most of whom are suburbanite millenials.

Are you running a summer camp or something?? :P
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline YABO713

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #246 on: August 04, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
I haven't either.  I was referring specifically to mutual friends on my FB, most of whom are suburbanite millenials.

Easy on the millenial hate
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2017, 04:17:33 PM »

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »

You do know millenials are in their 20's and 30's now?

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »

I'm mostly talking about people in their 30s I know from the bar or through Holly.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2017, 09:05:29 AM »
Driving through the west side of Cleveland last week, surprised how many signs I saw for Jeff Johnson, also a couple bill boards for Zack Reed.  Crazy that Reed has been able to raise money to pay for anything

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »

Yes, in other words, big children. :)
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline ethlaw

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2017, 10:01:42 PM »
Driving through the west side of Cleveland last week, surprised how many signs I saw for Jeff Johnson, also a couple bill boards for Zack Reed.  Crazy that Reed has been able to raise money to pay for anything

Recently the Cuyahoga County Progressive Caucus went around and put up a bunch of Johnson signs. I live on the west side, and I frequently see Johnson signs, but rarely in front of houses.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2017, 10:44:08 PM »

Recently the Cuyahoga County Progressive Caucus went around and put up a bunch of Johnson signs. I live on the west side, and I frequently see Johnson signs, but rarely in front of houses.

That's not exactly legal.

I still haven't figured out the differences between Johnson and Reed.   They've been allies in Council, along with Polensek.  It will be interesting to see if he does a primary endorsement.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:44:35 PM by E Rocc »
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline YABO713

« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2017, 10:13:01 AM »
^HE WAS ENTRAPPED!
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2017, 10:40:16 AM »
I don't know much of anything about Jeff Johnson other than what I've read on this forum, but should he somehow win, I cant help but cringe at the national headlines that will announce Cleveland elected a former felon to become it's mayor....

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2017, 11:36:30 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/08/cleveland_mayoral_candidates_w_1.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Brewer proving again what an asshat he is.   He wouldn't hire more cops but he'd make their job tougher and be very quick to throw them under the bus.

At least he's not proposing treating them like his ISIS buddies do pilots.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2017, 11:37:14 AM »
I don't know much of anything about Jeff Johnson other than what I've read on this forum, but should he somehow win, I cant help but cringe at the national headlines that will announce Cleveland elected a former felon to become it's mayor....

Since we've already elected active felons to key county leadership positions.....
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »
Some comparisons by Cleveland Magazine, though only of six of those running. 

Jeff Johnson, Ward 10 councilman
Campaign in a Sentence: “Public dollars has to go into the neighborhoods.”

If that is an accurate quote, he can't even get his grammar correct.

Comparing Jeff Johnson to Zach Reed, Zach's profile comes off much better and Johnson more like a fool--including his talk of a $15 minimum wage.

Zack Reed, Ward 2 councilman
Campaign in a Sentence: “Nothing stops a bullet like a job.”

I don't support Reed, but I do think that that's a pretty crisp statement. (Don't know if he knows how to create jobs, though!)

Here's the story:  https://clevelandmagazine.com/in-the-cle/politics/articles/the-race-for-cleveland-mayor-has-gotten-crowded
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:50:37 AM by Pugu »

Offline YABO713

« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2017, 11:54:05 AM »

To that... HALF of the candidates in Detroit's mayoral race are convicted felons.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »

Did he plagiarize George W. Bush?

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »

Comparing Jeff Johnson to Zach Reed, Zach's profile comes off much better and Johnson more like a fool--including his talk of a $15 minimum wage.

I don't support Reed, but I do think that that's a pretty crisp statement. (Don't know if he knows how to create jobs, though!)

Here's the story:  https://clevelandmagazine.com/in-the-cle/politics/articles/the-race-for-cleveland-mayor-has-gotten-crowded

Jeff's very well spoken when he wants to be.   He has a little bit of a tendency to pander in his dialect, but that often goes over well. 
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #262 on: August 08, 2017, 08:09:34 PM »
^I'm not sure saying "they HAS" over "they HAVE" is a "dialect" rather than just improper English.  It could be misquote by Cleveland Magazine. But if its not, you don't want the mayor of a major American city to be unable to speak properly......

Online TPH2

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • Twitter
« Reply #263 on: August 08, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »
...you don't want the mayor of a major American city to be unable to speak properly......

We've already been dealing with that for the last 12 years...
The quality of life in cities has much to do with systems of transport...Many cars, used by one or more people, circulate in cities, causing traffic congestion, raising the level of pollution, and consuming enormous quantities of non-renewable energy. -Pope Francis

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #264 on: August 08, 2017, 08:52:48 PM »

Jeff's very well spoken when he wants to be.   He has a little bit of a tendency to pander in his dialect, but that often goes over well. 

When white politicians speak in a dialect it's called being folksy. 

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #265 on: August 10, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »
Jackson 33%, Reed 12%, Johnson 8%, no one else above 3%.   1/3 undecided.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/08/cleveland_mayor_frank_jackson_44.html#incart_river_home
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2017, 11:32:39 AM »
^^I weep for my city.....
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Online Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
^You'd weep more if Reed or Jeff Johnson wins.  I hope that the polls are accurate. Frank, though not the most visionary guy and has his weaknesses, is really the best of the lot we have.

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
^You'd weep more if Reed or Jeff Johnson wins.  I hope that the polls are accurate. Frank, though not the most visionary guy and has his weaknesses, is really the best of the lot we have.[/i][/b]

I have to borrow Cleburger's post for that one....  ^^I weep for my city.....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:07:11 PM by willyboy »
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #269 on: August 10, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »
Indeed.  On the bright side maybe one of these late-comers will stick with it and build a base for next time.  This time, it seems like no one bothered until they all figured out that no one else was bothering.  And by then it was too late.
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline YABO713

« Reply #270 on: August 10, 2017, 02:40:51 PM »
^^ Matt Zone, Kerry Maccormack, or Zach Reed will be our next mayor. Provided Lebron doesn't run lol

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #271 on: August 10, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
^ Matt Zone appears to be positioning himself for a run in the next election.  I think if FJ had stepped aside he would've run now.  It's a sham because I think Zone would be a good candidate.

Remove Ads