Author Topic: Cleveland Mayoral Race 2017  (Read 14173 times)

Offline ethlaw

• 367'-PNC Bank
Re: Cleveland Mayoral Race 2017
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
I agree that it'd be ideal to have the next mayor be from outside of Cleveland politics. That's why I'm so unimpressed with our current lineup. However I'm really not sold by Madalone at all, and I'm still a little unclear as to why people on here seem to be preferring him over any of the other "outsider" choices. Why would he be preferable to Chrostowski, whose business at least has a solid social mission and who has done more for the community than Madalone has (as far as I know)?

Online YABO713

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »
Someone with the last name Lanci has endorsed Madalone - per his website.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 04:47:05 PM by YABO713 »
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2017, 08:01:10 PM »
I agree that it'd be ideal to have the next mayor be from outside of Cleveland politics. That's why I'm so unimpressed with our current lineup. However I'm really not sold by Madalone at all, and I'm still a little unclear as to why people on here seem to be preferring him over any of the other "outsider" choices. Why would he be preferable to Chrostowski, whose business at least has a solid social mission and who has done more for the community than Madalone has (as far as I know)?

I like his immigration, urban and transportation policies as they get away from fear factor (or shakedown factor, ala Johnson) and are more embracing of new approaches. Supporting more aggressive pro-immigrant policies, urging more no-strings-attached development in the neighborhoods, making public transit and biking more of a priority, and establishing a city department of transportation are all progressive policies I like from Tony Mad.
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2017, 10:42:36 PM »

I like his immigration, urban and transportation policies as they get away from fear factor (or shakedown factor, ala Johnson) and are more embracing of new approaches. Supporting more aggressive pro-immigrant policies, urging more no-strings-attached development in the neighborhoods, making public transit and biking more of a priority, and establishing a city department of transportation are all progressive policies I like from Tony Mad.

I just PMed this thread to his campaign FB page.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:42:50 PM by E Rocc »
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline mu2010

• Back in CLE
« Reply #179 on: June 09, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »
I'm not as familiar with Cleveland politics as probably many of you are, but does an outsider like this really stand a chance in hell?

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
^ possibly,  if he makes it out of the primary.

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »
Saw this on Cleveland.com today.

Another candidate enters the race for Mayor of Cleveland.

Former Cleveland mayoral candidate Robert Kilo enters 2017 race

In 2009 Robert Kilo challenged Mayor Frank Jackson, finishing third in the primary behind Jackson and current state Rep. Bill Patmon, a Cleveland Democrat. Kilo is circulating petitions as a candidate for mayor. (Chuck Crow, The Plain Dealer)

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/04/former_cleveland_mayoral_candi.html

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
I suppose the "Frank Jackson Alternative Urban Transportation Center" is now going to include a firing range.....
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »
CLE Chatter: T-shirt guy Tony Madalone pokes Mayor Frank Jackson and Councilman Zack Reed as he readies campaign (and other noteworthy tidbits from our town)
http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2017/06/cle_chatter_t-shirt_guy_tony_m.html
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for."-- Barack Obama

Offline TPH2

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • Twitter
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »
CLE Chatter: T-shirt guy Tony Madalone pokes Mayor Frank Jackson and Councilman Zack Reed as he readies campaign (and other noteworthy tidbits from our town)
http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2017/06/cle_chatter_t-shirt_guy_tony_m.html

"[Umberto] Fedeli is hosting a high-dollar fundraiser for Jackson at his Gates Mills home at the end of the month."

A conservative Republican who lives in the Village of Gates Mills and whose business is located in the City of Independence is hosting a fundraiser for the Democratic mayor of the City of Cleveland
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:36:16 PM by TPH2 »
The quality of life in cities has much to do with systems of transport...Many cars, used by one or more people, circulate in cities, causing traffic congestion, raising the level of pollution, and consuming enormous quantities of non-renewable energy. -Pope Francis

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »

Offline mu2010

• Back in CLE
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2017, 05:38:51 PM »
Ken Lanci was the Donald Trump of Cleveland before Donald Trump was Donald Trump.

Online YABO713

« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2017, 08:04:23 PM »

"[Umberto] Fedeli is hosting a high-dollar fundraiser for Jackson at his Gates Mills home at the end of the month."

A conservative Republican who lives in the Village of Gates Mills and whose business is located in the City of Independence is hosting a fundraiser for the Democratic mayor of the City of Cleveland

ANNNNNNNNNNND the election is over. He's quietly the most powerful man in the county.
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2017, 10:11:33 PM »
Look at all of the people living and working outside of Cleveland influencing Cleveland politics and favoring Jackson.

If Jackson is trying to make Cleveland a city of choice but his biggest benefactors chose not to live or work in Cleveland, doesn't that send an unintended message?

Online YABO713

« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2017, 09:24:38 AM »
Look at all of the people living and working outside of Cleveland influencing Cleveland politics and favoring Jackson.

If Jackson is trying to make Cleveland a city of choice but his biggest benefactors chose not to live or work in Cleveland, doesn't that send an unintended message?

Moreover, Fideli's business is in Independence.

Offline ethlaw

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
I'm so disheartened by our current lineup. Can someone please force Chris Ronayne to run? I wanna be on the Ronayne trayne.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »

Moreover, Fideli's business is in Independence.

A strong believer in regionalism, I guess.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »

He supposedly had a grandson playing football for Maple Heights last season (I saw him at the Willoughby game) so apparently either his son or daughter chose not to live there either.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online sizzlinbeef

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2017, 12:49:27 PM »
I'm so disheartened by our current lineup. Can someone please force Chris Ronayne to run? I wanna be on the Ronayne trayne.

Kerping up with the Ronayne trayne would be awfulky tough.

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2017, 08:44:06 AM »

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
Scene Magazine reviewed the Mayoral forum and had some interesting takeaways.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/06/27/unexpected-winners-and-losers-in-cleveland-mayoral-forum

Keep in mind this was the “progressive” coalition.  And Scene.

Brewer’s one of three people I can think of I’d vote for Jackson against (Dennis and Calamity Jane are the others).  He makes excuses for ISIS atrocities and is so disjointed he talks up his air force experience but thought F-15s fought in Vietnam.  He’s great at talking like he knows things, but fact checkers can make it suck to be him.

Ironically, the one thing I don’t give a damn about (his cross dressing skills) is probably what would sink his candidacy if it ever even began to gain traction.

Tony was on the Triv show last week, though it was the actual professional (Glenn Forbes) hosting that day.  I know you guys hate it, I find it unlistenable a lot.  But maybe he and Zack will be on at the same time.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:48:28 AM by E Rocc »
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2017, 12:20:07 PM »
Scene Magazine reviewed the Mayoral forum and had some interesting takeaways.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2017/06/27/unexpected-winners-and-losers-in-cleveland-mayoral-forum

Keep in mind this was the “progressive” coalition.  And Scene.

The reporter seemed to have a grudge against that Kilo guy. I thought his MLK quote in that context (police relations) was thoughtful and eloquent. I suppose he should have instead quoted Bono or something.

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »
I don't live in Cleveland myself (Lakewood) but I like to keep up with the politics.  From the people running, I really like Tony M. He seems to have a fresh approach but I worry about his lack of experience.  Jeff Johnson seems to really be playing things correctly.  He does come off as a seasoned politician. I mean that in a good way.  His social media was filled with photos from the Pride festival over the weekend.  He seemed to really enjoy being there and had his rainbow shirt on.  I know this might all be "an act" but I think he might be the most serious challenger. 

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »
I don't live in Cleveland myself (Lakewood) but I like to keep up with the politics.  From the people running, I really like Tony M. He seems to have a fresh approach but I worry about his lack of experience.  Jeff Johnson seems to really be playing things correctly.  He does come off as a seasoned politician. I mean that in a good way.  His social media was filled with photos from the Pride festival over the weekend.  He seemed to really enjoy being there and had his rainbow shirt on.  I know this might all be "an act" but I think he might be the most serious challenger. 

Yeah I like Tony too, but I have to agree with the Scene article, and with his skinny jeans he may have a hard time connecting with the non-Detroit Shoreway/Ohio City/Tremont population of the city. 

Argh Johnson supports a citywide $15 minimum wage though....     
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
^^Sorry, but I don't want "an act" for mayor.

I want a person with Integrity, honesty, responsible, etc....

I want a person for mayor who can get this city on the move again. Like it was in the early 1900's, with growth in population, culture, stature. One who can get the population growing again with the things they put into place as mayor. Like more police to serve the community; neighborhood growth through new/rehabbed housing, new and/or expanded businesses, parks and bike/hike paths; a clean/safe city; and a great transportation system to get people to their destination. Just to name a few things.

Education is a key too. With approximately 65% of the students still not graduating from high school in the CLE, the new mayor must work with the corporate community, non-profit community, philanthropy community, to get the children of Cleveland educated.

The current mayor has been in office too long, and he just does not cut it for me. Neither do any of the other career politicians (Brewer, Johnson, Reed). I am hopeful that the residents of the CLE will finally wake up and vote the career politicians out at both levels of city government (council and mayor). That the new mayor will fundamentally make changes that will make the CLE more desirable for new businesses to be started here, or moved here; that the people of NEO and the nation will say wow I want to be a part of what is happening in the CLE.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:14:38 PM by BCCLE1 »

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »
^ I didn't say that it was an act.  Merely that it might be an act.  I guess what I want to say is that Johnson comes across as very polished and wants to focus on neighborhood development over downtown development.  I don't know that I agree with that but he appears to be the best politician in the group of challengers. 

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »

To late, Frank Jackson is already putting it in place.  http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/06/cleveland_mayor_frank_jackson_39.html
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2017, 02:39:46 PM »
^ That is just for city employees.

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2017, 02:40:28 PM »

To late, Frank Jackson is already putting it in place.  http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/06/cleveland_mayor_frank_jackson_39.html
Yeah he is putting it in place at the city employee level.  What a dumb a$$.     
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
^ I'd find it hard to believe that there are very many city employees that make less than $15 per hour but perhaps some clerks and part-time workers. 

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2017, 02:50:06 PM »
^ I'd find it hard to believe that there are very many city employees that make less than $15 per hour but perhaps some clerks and part-time workers. 

It's hard to find very many that DESERVE $15/hour from my experience.
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »
What about all the summer help?  Or are they excluded? 

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2017, 07:40:19 AM »

I wonder how many unionized employees get automatic raises if their salary falls below a certain percentage of the "base rate".  Such contracts aren't uncommon in the private sector.   Stealth raise in exchange for an endorsement?
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2017, 10:32:58 AM »
Just saw with the wikipedia entry on the election. Long list of people.  I know its not always accurate....Madalone is not listed, for example. But I was trying to find a global view of the election and couldn't find one anywhere else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_mayoral_election,_2017

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #209 on: June 29, 2017, 02:57:50 PM »
They don't have to, Zack. You just did it for them...

It's official, running for Mayor @CityofCleveland.My opponents may bring up my past drunkenness & DUI's.I am focused on the future of #CLE https://t.co/6tvSilvrud

Remove Ads