Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 337465 times)

DarkandStormy, David, sir2gees, stpats44113, Clefan98, CincyIntheKnow, Jskinner, jbcmh81, BigDipper 80, gaslight, subocincy, audidave, Cygnus, gottaplan, unusualfire, ColDayMan, Oldmanladyluck and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #10815 on: September 13, 2017, 07:57:54 PM »
I'd have to say it was his WWE appearance. 

No seriously, there was very little if anything that made me vote for Trump.  I knew he had a ton of baggage & was in over his head but it was "anybody but Hillary" for me from Day 1.  I would've voted for Sanders had he won the primary and in the Republican primary I voted for Kasich.  I absolutely was one of the voters who held their nose in the voting booth because I hated both options.

I know many will say that's so stupid but guess what - my vote counts same as yours!

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10816 on: September 13, 2017, 09:24:57 PM »
Mnuchin wanted to use a government plane to go on his honeymoon.  Draining the swamp.

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #10817 on: September 13, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »
I'd have to say it was his WWE appearance. 

No seriously, there was very little if anything that made me vote for Trump.  I knew he had a ton of baggage & was in over his head but it was "anybody but Hillary" for me from Day 1.  I would've voted for Sanders had he won the primary and in the Republican primary I voted for Kasich.  I absolutely was one of the voters who held their nose in the voting booth because I hated both options.

I know many will say that's so stupid but guess what - my vote counts same as yours!

I'm actually really curious about the "anyone but Hillary" mindset. A lot of liberals on here would assume after all of my blunt and harsh criticisms of Islam that I'd vote for Trump but I actually went out of my way that day to vote for her because she at least isn't as crazy and as much of a liability on the global scale, when it comes to saying crazy sh!t. Aside from global perception, Trump supports legislation, even regarding immigrants, that I don't agree with. I'm about as moderate as they  come and I think Hillary was a bad candidate but I don't think she was as bad as Trump. It would be interesting to know why you voted for Donald over her. Was it the prospect of "Change" in the form of a politician who isn't actually a politician? To some degree, I can appreciate that Donald Trump isn't an insider and career politician but his presidency has proven that it hasn't prevented him from making a lot of dumb moves that aren't in favor of the majority of Americans. Honestly, I saw that coming before he was even elected, which is why I voted for Hillary even though she wasn't a good candidate.
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #10818 on: September 14, 2017, 12:02:13 AM »
Finally, Rust Belt voters have a POTUS and Cabinet sticking it to those out of touch coastal elites

Mnuchin requested government jet for his European honeymoon: report https://t.co/naTJMVObdy
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #10819 on: September 14, 2017, 12:03:47 AM »
So Trump thinks NAZIS with guns are exercising free speech but a citizen criticizing HIM isn't?

#BREAKING: White House demands ESPN fire host who called Trump a "white supremacist" https://t.co/jz8OpGlzBK
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I'll tell you what you value." -- Joe Biden

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #10820 on: September 14, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »
Jemele Hill: "Donald Trump is a white supremacist surrounded by other white supremacists."

ESPN: "We don't agree."

White House: https://t.co/IW37wlttlo

Online gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10821 on: September 14, 2017, 06:54:08 AM »
And ESPN fired Curt Schilling when he criticized the transgender bathroom laws.  The network did so because it said it had a policy prohibiting analysts from discussing politics.  Go figure

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10822 on: September 14, 2017, 07:10:03 AM »
I don't care who ESPN  fires but it's inappropriate for the White House to call for it.

Offline AJ93

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10823 on: September 14, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »
^ This absolutely. ESPN has its corporate policy. Jemele Hill has a right to say what she wanted (and for the record I agree with her and completely endorse what she said) but to the extent using her ESPN twitter violated company policy and exposes her to possible termination is something between her and ESPN. To have the White House call for her to be fired (through it's official mouthpiece in SHS) is a chilling example of actual first amendment suppression (not the usual complaint where someone says something and they get a public backlash).
Cleveland: Tell your dame it's the bee's knees! - 327

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #10824 on: September 14, 2017, 08:27:13 AM »
And ESPN fired Curt Schilling when he criticized the transgender bathroom laws.  The network did so because it said it had a policy prohibiting analysts from discussing politics.  Go figure

ESPN didn't fire Curt Schilling because he discussed politics. He was alienating potential viewers by being publicly transphobic. ESPN didn't need his baggage causing controversy, so they fired him.

If he had simply posted a responsible, mature explanation for his opposition to the restroom bill he would't have been fired. Instead, he insulted trans people and then played the victim for being fired over his right to free speech.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:28:37 AM by ryanlammi »
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Online gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10825 on: September 14, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »

ESPN didn't fire Curt Schilling because he discussed politics. He was alienating potential viewers by being publicly transphobic. ESPN didn't need his baggage causing controversy, so they fired him.

If he had simply posted a responsible, mature explanation for his opposition to the restroom bill he would't have been fired. Instead, he insulted trans people and then played the victim for being fired over his right to free speech.

So aside from all that, does ESPN have a policy regarding analysts discussing politics or not?

Jemelle Hill was also suspended for comments in 2008 compare rooting for Boston Celtics to Adolf Hitler
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:37:57 AM by gottaplan »

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #10826 on: September 14, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
^I don't know what their policy is towards discussing politics.

Obviously there is some cross over of sports and politics, which ESPN analysts should have every right to discuss. The NCAA pulled games out of North Carolina because of the bill. It's perfectly reasonable to discuss this publicly whether officially on air, or over social media. Many ESPN employees make their politics known, as they should be allowed to do. I'm sure there were a bunch of right-leaning commentators or employees at ESPN who had similar opinions on the bathroom bill. But none expressed their opinion with such vitriol and hatred as Curt Schilling.

If Jemele Hill was fired for her comments, I don't think most people here would cause a stir about it, because that's ESPN's right. She made an offensive comment toward Trump, which could alienate viewers of ESPN. The president should have risen above this and not commented (or rather, his staff should have risen above this and not commented).

Flickr Profile

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10827 on: September 14, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
Obviously there is some cross over of sports and politics, which ESPN analysts should have every right to discuss.

There doesn't have to be, and there shouldn't be. This is one of the big reasons ESPN's ratings are in freefall, far outpacing the general cord-cutting trends, and one of the reasons they can only afford people like Ms. Hill instead of actual talented broadcasters.

Now that people can find .webm highlights on Reddit 30 seconds after they happen, there's no real reason to watch most of ESPN's programming, and even less of a reason to listen to their commentary - as, seemingly, 1/4 of internet commenters are more knowledgeable than the average ESPN on-air personality (you all saw Sergio Dipp on MNF, right? He should thank Jemele Hill for taking the heat off him). ESPN needed a way to encourage people to watch, and instead of innovating or doubling down on their few-and-far-between successes like 30 for 30, they opted to inject political talking points into their daily lineup. It's been an unmitigated disaster so far, because even the people who might agree with their agenda are sick and tired of being blasted with it everywhere they turn. People watch sports as an escape from reality, if you start to take away that aspect of it, you're going to alienate people.

This was published a few months ago and is a good take on how and why ESPN is failing miserably. Jemele Hill is probably one of the best examples of all of these points, combined - it's like all of the reasons ESPN sucks now manifested themselves into a single living entity, and she is that entity:

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2017/03/21/the-top-5-reasons-espns-ratings-are-in-freefall/

Offline smith

• formerly CorySnyder
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
    • Kevin Smith Photography
« Reply #10828 on: September 14, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »
Obviously there is some cross over of sports and politics, which ESPN analysts should have every right to discuss.

ESPN needed a way to encourage people to watch, and instead of innovating or doubling down on their few-and-far-between successes like 30 for 30, they opted to inject political talking points into their daily lineup. It's been an unmitigated disaster so far, because even the people who might agree with their agenda are sick and tired of being blasted with it everywhere they turn. People watch sports as an escape from reality, if you start to take away that aspect of it, you're going to alienate people.

I must have missed where Ms Hill injected her agenda on an espn broadcast.

You know I frankly blame the mainstream media.  If not for their liberal agenda, they wouldn't be posting Ms Hill's comments from her personal Twitter.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:14:58 AM by smith »

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10829 on: September 14, 2017, 10:17:19 AM »
Whether it was proper protocol or not, I applaud Jemele Hill for having the guts to say what a whole lot of people think about Donald Trump... If that jackass had the audacity to say and do the things he did and still get elected to the most powerful seat in the world, surely Ms. Hill should have a right to comment on it and NOT suffer employment consequences.

Online YABO713

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #10830 on: September 14, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
While I think Jemele was wrong.... The White House calling for a private citizen to be fired over voicing an opinion is some Banana Republic sh**.
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Online gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10831 on: September 14, 2017, 10:31:57 AM »
Whether it was proper protocol or not, I applaud Jemele Hill for having the guts to say what a whole lot of people think about Donald Trump... If that jackass had the audacity to say and do the things he did and still get elected to the most powerful seat in the world, surely Ms. Hill should have a right to comment on it and NOT suffer employment consequences.

Does it really take guts to say what she said?  If she's not afraid of any discipline from ESPN, what's the fear? 

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10832 on: September 14, 2017, 10:32:11 AM »
^ people are missing that you can think both things are wrong.  so many are just blinded by having to defend their team.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #10833 on: September 14, 2017, 10:56:07 AM »

There doesn't have to be, and there shouldn't be. This is one of the big reasons ESPN's ratings are in freefall, far outpacing the general cord-cutting trends, and one of the reasons they can only afford people like Ms. Hill instead of actual talented broadcasters.

Now that people can find .webm highlights on Reddit 30 seconds after they happen, there's no real reason to watch most of ESPN's programming, and even less of a reason to listen to their commentary - as, seemingly, 1/4 of internet commenters are more knowledgeable than the average ESPN on-air personality (you all saw Sergio Dipp on MNF, right? He should thank Jemele Hill for taking the heat off him). ESPN needed a way to encourage people to watch, and instead of innovating or doubling down on their few-and-far-between successes like 30 for 30, they opted to inject political talking points into their daily lineup. It's been an unmitigated disaster so far, because even the people who might agree with their agenda are sick and tired of being blasted with it everywhere they turn. People watch sports as an escape from reality, if you start to take away that aspect of it, you're going to alienate people.

This was published a few months ago and is a good take on how and why ESPN is failing miserably. Jemele Hill is probably one of the best examples of all of these points, combined - it's like all of the reasons ESPN sucks now manifested themselves into a single living entity, and she is that entity:

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2017/03/21/the-top-5-reasons-espns-ratings-are-in-freefall/

So when the NCAA announced they were pulling games out of North Carolina because of the bathroom bill, they should have just announced the fact and then moved on to something else?

Also, modern sports has ALWAYS been an outlet for social change. Integration in baseball. Muhammad Ali. Gay athletes coming out today. Jesse Owens winning 4 Gold Medals in the 1936 Olympics. This isn't new. People just have a habit of hating social change while it's happening, but being extremely proud of the social change from the past. Sports will always be an outlet for this.

Flickr Profile

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #10834 on: September 14, 2017, 11:07:24 AM »
Meanwhile....

Federal ethics office allowing Trump staffers with defense funds to accept gifts from lobbyists: report https://t.co/BtqKvlXiXB

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10835 on: September 14, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »

Who the hell is PJ Media?  Oh...

"We've been there through primaries and general elections; the U.S. border crisis; doctored climate change data; the gunrunners' scandal; Department of Justice voter fraud and the Ground Zero mosque -- stories that others in the media initially passed by."

https://pjmedia.com/about-us

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10836 on: September 14, 2017, 11:10:10 AM »
Does anybody think the SHS violated this law?

18 USC 227

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/227
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:10:21 AM by down4cle »

Online ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #10837 on: September 14, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
People just have a habit of hating social change while it's happening, but being extremely proud of the social change from the past. Sports will always be an outlet for this.

Indeed, Lammo, indeed.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #10838 on: September 14, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
According to the white-, er right-wing, this is the only panel of experts allowed to discuss racism and Trump's policies. Such diversity here.....

Online down4cle

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10839 on: September 14, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »
I wonder if Fox is providing Tomi with her butt warmer.  She goes nuts if she doesn't have one while complaining about entitled liberals.

Online YABO713

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #10840 on: September 14, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
Can we all talk about Klann Koulter's Twitter meltdown...
"They tell me of the River Cuyahoga in the Ohio territory; upon it a great city will emerge." - Correspondence of Thomas Jefferson in drafting 'Notes on the State of Virginia'

Online David

• Premium Member
« Reply #10841 on: September 14, 2017, 11:23:31 AM »
Trump hasn't said anything particularly dumb in the past couple weeks. Its really weird.
Modern architects recognize 300 masterpieces but ignore the other 30 million buildings that have ruined the world. - Andres Duany

Online YABO713

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #10842 on: September 14, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
Trump hasn't said anything particularly dumb in the past couple weeks. Its really weird.

Actually, this morning he said "we are not talking about citizenship or amnesty, we are talking about letting some people stay in the country."

Hate to burst your bubble, @KJP

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #10843 on: September 14, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »
Yes, I saw Trump said that. But you quoted David, not me.

There was a funny tweet in response to Trump's non-amnesty amnesty policy -- "Trump also said he's going to talk about vehicles that have four wheels but he's not going to talk about cars."

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10844 on: September 14, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »
So when the NCAA announced they were pulling games out of North Carolina because of the bathroom bill, they should have just announced the fact and then moved on to something else?

Yes. This is a good example of why more and more people are turning off ESPN they dont care about those types of political decisions, they just want to watch sports. If they cared about the political aspects of these stories, theyd watch CNN or Fox News.

Also, modern sports has ALWAYS been an outlet for social change. Integration in baseball. Muhammad Ali. Gay athletes coming out today. Jesse Owens winning 4 Gold Medals in the 1936 Olympics. This isn't new. People just have a habit of hating social change while it's happening, but being extremely proud of the social change from the past. Sports will always be an outlet for this.

I agree people have a habit of hating social change while its happening. This is very, very visible even in this thread people still refuse to accept that Trump is president, and that real, actual social change in America is going in a different direction than they think it is.  We arent heading in a direction where its acceptable for ESPN to talk more about the political implications of what a guy does during the national anthem than what he does on the field.

Online YABO713

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #10845 on: September 14, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »
Yes, I saw Trump said that. But you quoted David, not me.

There was a funny tweet in response to Trump's non-amnesty amnesty policy -- "Trump also said he's going to talk about vehicles that have four wheels but he's not going to talk about cars."

Sorry @KJP!

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Coach Bombay
  • 665'-Queen City Square
  • www.queencitydisco.com
    • Queen City Discovery - Cincinnati and Urban Exploration Photography
« Reply #10846 on: September 14, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »
This is very, very visible even in this thread people still refuse to accept that Trump is president, and that real, actual social change in America is going in a different direction than they think it is. 

Wrong. No one here is refusing to accept that Trump is president, rather, they're refusing to accept this "social change" you speak of. It's not that people don't believe Trump is actually the president, they do and most are embarrassed by it. People take issue with his policies, words, actions, golfing, lack of action, lack of understanding, and general incompetency.
www.queencitydisco.com
^Cincinnati Urban Adventure

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #10847 on: September 14, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »
I agree people have a habit of hating social change while its happening. This is very, very visible even in this thread people still refuse to accept that Trump is president

Haha very good trolling attempt there.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Online YABO713

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #10848 on: September 14, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »
^ Few have the God-given ability to troll quite like Ram

Online YABO713

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #10849 on: September 14, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
@Ram23 People should let the market dictate if she gets fired. If people stop watching her show, ESPN won't renew. The call should come from the market, not the highest office in our country.

Remove Ads