Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 121673 times)

stpats44113 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #5145 on: March 20, 2017, 04:20:12 PM »
Picks fights with all of our allies, but nothing except praise for Putin.  Silent on Russia's aggression in Crimea and Syria.  Silent on Russian intelligence's meddling in Western Democracies.  Silent on Putin's human rights abuses, equates his authoritarian regime with America.  Wants to weaken or dismantle NATO, UN, EU, and any other alliance we have with a country that defies Russia.  If Trump isn't a bought man then that means he's delivered himself for free.  If he isn't a puppet, he still dances to Putin's tune perfectly.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #5146 on: March 20, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »
Trump admires the strongman aura and couldn't care less about the actual substance of governing. Putin MRGA. Putin is "respected." Putin said nice things about Trump. They were on the same episode of 60 minutes together.  This insane line of reasoning just seems totally consistent with everything else we've seen from Trump. It's ridiculous, but doesn't beg for any actual conspiracy for it to make sense to me. I could be totally wrong, but this seems a lot more like symbiosis than collusion.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5147 on: March 20, 2017, 04:40:22 PM »
The current President of the United States is under investigation for treason. 

Let

that

sink

in

Offline audidave

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #5148 on: March 20, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »
My feeling is that Trunp has been the Moscow candidate. I would expect that Trump has billions in loans from Russia.  They likely have compromising video tape as well. 
   So if Trump is beholden to Putin no wonder he acts like he does.  He has had very pro-Putin people in many positions.  Until the FBI gets to the bottom of the money deals with Russia, the investigation will continue. 

Offline jbcmh81

• 665'-Queen City Square
    • All Columbus Data
« Reply #5149 on: March 20, 2017, 05:09:59 PM »
Trump admires the strongman aura and couldn't care less about the actual substance of governing. Putin MRGA. Putin is "respected." Putin said nice things about Trump. They were on the same episode of 60 minutes together.  This insane line of reasoning just seems totally consistent with everything else we've seen from Trump. It's ridiculous, but doesn't beg for any actual conspiracy for it to make sense to me. I could be totally wrong, but this seems a lot more like symbiosis than collusion.

Trump seems to value loyalty, but also someone who strokes his ego.  Would it really be that hard to win Trump over to any cause with the right methods?  He doesn't seem to actually have any real values beyond enriching his own pockets and narcissism, so it's not exactly hard to believe he would sell out his own country for a little more attention and cash.

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #5150 on: March 20, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »
I'll say this...there are a lot of coincidences and a lot of lying by the Trump campaign when it comes to Russia. The fact Comey confirmed there's an investigation is significant. Will we see where this goes...

That's what I thought during the election.  I'm less sure he was personally involved than I was.   Bannon, Flynn et al I am pretty sure of.

My problem with Trump is that he would either have to be the dumbest, most oblivious patsy of all time, or directly involved.  The latter is obviously worse, but the former is damn scary as well.  There really isn't a conclusion where Trump walks away from this looking good.

Willful ignorance begets plausible deniability. If there were something going on involving Russia (and believe me, that's a really, really big "if"), Trump is smart enough and self-aware enough to not ask anyone any questions. It's only a bonus that the ignorant masses mistakenly identify this cunning behavior as "dumb" or indicative of "a patsy" when in reality it is the exact opposite.

And there is a conclusion where Trump walks away from this looking good. It's the most likely one - the investigation will turn up no evidence, and Democrats will be left in terrible shape in 2018. "Russia!" is their last hope and it's a long shot. We probably won't see anything more than what's currently known - tidbits of circumstantial evidence that Russia might have done the hacking. There's no evidence proving it was Russia. There's no evidence connecting Trump to the leaks. There's no evidence Trump has any connections to Putin or Russia at all. Even if all of this were true, the odds of proving it would be about one in a million. However, those odds compound with the reality that the possibility of this being true to begin with are about one in a million as well. Do the math - those aren't good odds. They are very, very bad odds. And what's truly scary if you're a Democrat is that short of all of this coming true and leading to an impeachment, the Democratic base will be decimated by the midterms and moderates will abandon them in droves.

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5151 on: March 20, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »
Only stupid people look at this situation through a political lens.   This is beyond politics.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #5152 on: March 20, 2017, 05:44:15 PM »
I'll say this...there are a lot of coincidences and a lot of lying by the Trump campaign when it comes to Russia. The fact Comey confirmed there's an investigation is significant. Will we see where this goes...

That's what I thought during the election.  I'm less sure he was personally involved than I was.   Bannon, Flynn et al I am pretty sure of.

E Rocc, just to clarify, are you "pretty sure" that Bannon and Flynn were actively colluding with Russia to violate American cyber-security laws (or at least had knowledge of such violations perpetrated within the jurisdiction of the US and failed to report them to law enforcement)?  Or just that they had politically sensitive conversations with Russian agents and have lied about it since then?

Remember, Bannon and even Flynn were never themselves in possession of any confidential information that would have assisted the Russians in hacking the Podesta and DNC e-mails.  I have no doubt that Russian agents were behind it.  What I question is whether the Russians would have even solicited the help of people like Bannon and Flynn, who could offer no assistance and whom the Russians most likely wanted in power, given the likelihood that Trump and his team would be the least hostile presidency towards Russia of literally any of the 22 contenders (17 Republicans and 5 Democrats) who started out seeking the presidency (or any Libertarian or Green contender, for that matter).  So what colluding is argued to have happened?  Maybe that Russians tipped off the Trump campaign as to when big leaks were going to drop at WikiLeaks?  I have little reason to doubt that WikiLeaks is effectively a Russian front site at this point, regardless of whether it was ever anything else in the past, but even if Russia gave advance notice of such drops to the Trump campaign (and as yet, we certainly haven't seen beyond-reasonable-doubt-level evidence that that happened), what does the campaign's non-reporting of that amount to?  How would you distinguish between that and the hypothetical in which a hacker penetrated the cyber-security of the Trump Organization and/or whatever accounting firm does Trump's taxes and posted a full copy of all the returns on the Internet for the world to see?  Or, for that matter, penetrated Breitbart and published internal e-mails among the permanent staff there (which I assume are infinitely saltier than anything found in the DNC leaks)?

Then again, maybe I just circled around to an answer to my own question: Those things would not actually be the basis for legitimate criminal investigations of the Clinton campaign itself.  But they would certainly be used by Republicans to attempt to delegitimize her presidency relentlessly from the outset, which is the real purpose of most of this progressive-troll caterwauling.

Offline jbcmh81

• 665'-Queen City Square
    • All Columbus Data
« Reply #5153 on: March 20, 2017, 05:48:58 PM »

My problem with Trump is that he would either have to be the dumbest, most oblivious patsy of all time, or directly involved.  The latter is obviously worse, but the former is damn scary as well.  There really isn't a conclusion where Trump walks away from this looking good.

Willful ignorance begets plausible deniability. If there were something going on involving Russia (and believe me, that's a really, really big "if"), Trump is smart enough and self-aware enough to not ask anyone any questions. It's only a bonus that the ignorant masses mistakenly identify this cunning behavior as "dumb" or indicative of "a patsy" when in reality it is the exact opposite.

And there is a conclusion where Trump walks away from this looking good. It's the most likely one - the investigation will turn up no evidence, and Democrats will be left in terrible shape in 2018. "Russia!" is their last hope and it's a long shot. We probably won't see anything more than what's currently known - tidbits of circumstantial evidence that Russia might have done the hacking. There's no evidence proving it was Russia. There's no evidence connecting Trump to the leaks. There's no evidence Trump has any connections to Putin or Russia at all. Even if all of this were true, the odds of proving it would be about one in a million. However, those odds compound with the reality that the possibility of this being true to begin with are about one in a million as well. Do the math - those aren't good odds. They are very, very bad odds. And what's truly scary if you're a Democrat is that short of all of this coming true and leading to an impeachment, the Democratic base will be decimated by the midterms and moderates will abandon them in droves.

I don't think anyone really expects you to acknowledge that there are *at least* enough concerning coincidences to have warranted an investigation.  Your "there is no there, there" act is totally illogical, even as a supporter. 

Let's actually look at the possibilities:
1. Trump directly colluded with the Russians to influence the US election in his favor.  Trump is booted from office in the biggest presidential scandal of all-time and potentially, if not likely, would face prison.
2. Trump didn't directly collude, but was aware that members of his campaign were and did nothing to stop it.  That is at least being complicit.  He still ends up booted from office in disgrace, but other consequences are unknown.
3. Trump didn't directly collude, and was completely unaware that members of his campaign were.  Trump ends up looking oblivious and with questionable abilities to function as president, particularly in his ability to surround himself with the "best people".  He would look easily manipulated and would be humiliated.  He would probably stay in office, but his reputation would be even further tarnished outside of his rabid supporters who would continue to come up with creative excuses on how awesome he is.
4. No one within the Trump team, before or since the election, had any direct or indirect involvement with hacking or collusion.  The Russian government, however, did take action to help Trump win without his consent, because they believed that Trump was better for their interests than Hillary.  While this wouldn't necessarily hurt Trump, it would perhaps call into question the legitimacy of his win.
5. Trump didn't collude, no one in his campaign team did either, the Russians totally minded their own business and all of the connections and smoke are just a series of unfortunate misunderstandings and coincidences.  Trump and his team are exonerated legally, but their reputation would still probably take a hit just because people believe what they want and this kind of stuff leaves a stain, not that different than when people believed everything about Hillary.  And Trump would still be an extremely controversial, often-immoral human being that would no doubt involve the nation in many further embarrassments.

You're obviously going with #5, only without any lasting negative views whatsoever.  This seems the least likely to me.  It's by far the least logical given the behavior of Trump and his team and all of the many connections that have been established.  Now, for me personally, while I am not convinced it is #1, I am personally pretty confident in saying it's not #5.  In fact, I would say #5 is impossible, just because we already know that the Russians hacked the Democrats and did not mind their own business.  I'm thinking it has to be #3 or higher.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:03:10 PM by jbcmh81 »

Offline audidave

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #5154 on: March 20, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
This isn't just about hacking and timing of releases by Russia and wikileaks. This is about an onslaught of fake news and disinformation that was also directed by Russia and their troll farms. This is about a potential quid pro quo with sanctions loosening.

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5155 on: March 20, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
Remember this is only the first public hearing and we already know that there is an investigation into the treasonous activities of the Trump campaign.   I can only imagine what Feinstein and Grassley llwere told in private.

Also, this investigation goes back to July.   The fact it is still ongoing is very telling.  Fake stories like trump's wiretap are dispelled quickly.  I wonder what song Mike Flynn is singing these days

Lock them up

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5156 on: March 20, 2017, 07:03:12 PM »

I totally agree about Trump's admiration of political strongmen. He's held a similiarly high opinion of Filipino president Duterte despite his use of death squads against thousands of accused criminals.

However... The business and financial links between Russian oligarchs (all of whom engage to some degree in criminal behavior as a matter of course) to Trump, his inner circle and some in his cabinet is well documented, extensive and lucrative. How does Trump sell a $41 million Florida estate to a Russian mobster for $95 million? Because the mobster was just being a nice guy?? To know Russia is to know that they expect a quid pro quo. And since all Russian oligarchs operate (er, live or die) with the express permission of Putin, the quid pro quo is ultimately between Putin and Trump even if the two had never spoken. But of course they have spoken, as have their subordinates. It's all well documented and published.

As for the others' critiques of the leaks and liberal media... If it takes whistleblowers and the liberal media to reclaim democracy from enemies that conservatives used to abhor but have now sold their souls, then so be it. A prison cell looks and feels the same to a liberal or conservative.
"I play to people’s fantasies."
--Donald Trump

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5157 on: March 20, 2017, 08:16:26 PM »
Hillary Clinton was right.  Trump is putin's puppet.   Everyone with a half a brain could tell during the campaign.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5158 on: March 20, 2017, 08:17:17 PM »
These tweets by Anders Östlund, the founder of several European business networks, are priceless:

It appears many American politicians consider the New York Times to be a bigger threat to national security than Russia.

The party of Lincoln, Eisenhower and Reagan is now a complete disgrace. This will be a headache for historians for decades to come.

I always honestly believed Americans were all patriots at heart.

I was wrong.
--Donald Trump

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5159 on: March 20, 2017, 08:17:39 PM »
Very good summary and realistic theory of Trump's deal with Putin. It's all about the money. Read the whole thread. 
#Trump #Russia https://t.co/AOMEDL7nyt
--Donald Trump

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5160 on: March 20, 2017, 08:27:07 PM »
^^It's obvious that the current GOP at the Federal level is comprised of traitors.  The line of questions from Rep. Gowdy was proof.  He wants to prosecute the Washington Post journalist that broke the Flynn story.  Watching him try to convince Comey that the reporter broke the law was surreal. 

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5161 on: March 20, 2017, 08:42:55 PM »
This is how the GOP legislates.

the new version of the bill will not say at all what to do with the $75 billion. Instead it will just “instruct the Senate” to come up with a plan to use the money to help people between the ages of 50 and 64.

This is a very unusual way to legislate and reflects House Republicans’ desperation to pass basically anything as soon as possible and pass the buck to the Senate.

These fools don't want to take the time to write a proper piece of legislation.  They've only has 8 yars to come up with something.  GOP doesn't know how to govern.
http://www.vox.com/2017/3/20/14991184/ahca-magic-asterisk

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5162 on: March 20, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure Ram has shared news from some of these Russian propaganda sites:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/fbi/324909-fbi-probing-far-right-news-sites-report

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #5163 on: March 20, 2017, 08:58:36 PM »
Very, very bad day for Trump. There's no way to spin it.  They certainly knew it was coming and the GOP members on the committee did their best to soften the blow.  Team Trump did them no favors however, including but certainly not limited to Spicer saying Manafort played a very insignificant role in the campaign. Yeah.... he was the campaign chairman, Sean. 
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline ck

• --ch4k1ng--
  • 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #5164 on: March 20, 2017, 09:02:27 PM »
If there were something going on involving Russia (and believe me, that's a really, really big "if"), Trump is smart enough and self-aware enough to not ask anyone any questions. It's only a bonus that the ignorant masses mistakenly identify this cunning behavior as "dumb" or indicative of "a patsy" when in reality it is the exact opposite.

I feel like if Trump was smart 60%+ of the population wouldn't be able to see right through his lies, he wouldn't have an investigation concerning his campaign and Russia ongoing, he would have passed travel bans that didn't get stopped in the courts on the first couple tries, wouldn't have said that nobody knew healthcare was complex,  wouldn't rely on FOX for his worldviews, and would have a much higher approval rating. 

I'm totally missing the smart part.  It takes a real diehard to spin anything that has happened in the last couple months as smart.

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5165 on: March 20, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »
"none of our candidates is under FBI investigation" - Marco Rubio

it would send the wrong signal to all those charged with safeguarding our nation’s secrets if you choose to provide her access to this information despite the FBI’s findings ... I firmly believe this is necessary to reassure the public that our nation’s secrets are secure. - Paul Ryan

Ouch - that didn't age well
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:08:03 PM by down4cle »

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #5166 on: March 20, 2017, 09:43:28 PM »
WCPO reports that this letter was sent to a parent of a woman who overdosed on heroin one year ago:

Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5167 on: March 20, 2017, 09:49:43 PM »
more proof that Republicans on the House Committee are not acting in good faith:

“The tweets make it much more difficult for us as we try to build a case against these leakers,” said Representative Peter T. King, a New York Republican who sits on the Intelligence Committee. “We always have to be answering questions about the tweets — it puts us on defense all the time when we could be building a case for the president.”

his job is not to build a case for the president.  his job is to be investigating.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/20/us/trump-obama-wiretap-comey.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5168 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »
For whom is Trump administration working?

Exclusive: Tillerson plans to skip NATO meeting, visit Russia in April - sources
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN16S04I

Exclusive: Powerful Russian Partner Boasts Of Ongoing Access To Trump Family
https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkirsch/2017/03/20/russian-billionaire-family-trump-ties-ongoing/#61ec2f7869b3
--Donald Trump

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5169 on: March 20, 2017, 10:03:11 PM »
Real conservatives will stand up for our republic & the rule of law against meddling by foreign dictators. Don't pretend this is hard, folks.
--Donald Trump

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5170 on: March 20, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »
^there are no real conservatives left it seems. 

This is what it means to be a conservative now:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 10:20:02 PM by down4cle »

Offline Urbanophile

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #5171 on: March 20, 2017, 10:24:09 PM »
Let's also not forget about the Christopher Steele dossier and how much evidence he has that has not yet surfaced.

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5172 on: March 20, 2017, 11:05:53 PM »
^ I'm sure that the IC has a vast amount of evidence that is not known publicly.  With just the evidence available in the public realm there is a vast amount circumstantial evidence and uncanny coincidences.  Additionally, there is definite proof of lying about Russian meeting and conversations. 

Something striking is that Comey had not briefed the congressional committee until today.  Comey knows that Devin Nunes is compromised.  He cannot be trusted.  When this is said and done I bet Manafort, Page, Stone, Nunes, Sessions and Trump all go down.. If Trump is directly involved, his name will forever replace Benedict Arnold as the most famous traitor.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5173 on: March 20, 2017, 11:13:10 PM »
Ivanka Trump moves into a West Wing office, acknowledging there’s "no modern precedent" for her role https://t.co/YgRvW8HNCI
--Donald Trump

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5174 on: March 20, 2017, 11:14:33 PM »
Bill Gates is still the world's richest person, while President Trump falls 220 spots https://t.co/Mo3UKlV6LZ
--Donald Trump

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5175 on: March 20, 2017, 11:16:40 PM »
Great moments in movie history:

Q: "Did you order the Code Red?"

A: "I can't believe that was leaked?!?"
--Donald Trump

Offline Cleburger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #5176 on: March 21, 2017, 07:16:47 AM »
I heard a good analogy of the recent events this morning:

"The White House is on fire and Donald Trump is standing there with a can of gas and some matches.   The GOP Congress is inquiring into who called the fire department...."
I got some records from World War II
I play 'em just like me grand dad do
He was a rocker and I am too....Now Cleveland rocks....

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #5177 on: March 21, 2017, 09:11:20 AM »
--Donald Trump

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5178 on: March 21, 2017, 09:39:29 AM »
^Pretty much everybody that has a working brain and ability to reason should know that Trump is a bully, liar and someone who stiffs workers.  Any paying any attention at all would realize how deeply flawed Trump's character is.  I know I come off as rude and snarky but I really cannot understand what anyone sees in the compulsive lying circus clown that said, "let me vote for this guy."  He has no grasp of policy whatsoever.  None.  I would bet everything I have that Trump couldn't explain how ACA works or how AHCA works.  He will tell you ACA is terrible and AHCA is great.  That is how he describes everything but yet people out there were like - this guy is who I want to run the country.

Offline down4cle

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #5179 on: March 21, 2017, 09:48:20 AM »
This is weird.  Nunes said he had never heard or Page or Stone yesterday.

Remove Ads