Author Topic: Cincinnati Mayoral Race 2017  (Read 15858 times)

Offline TroyEros

• 665'-Queen City Square
Re: Cincinnati Mayoral Race 2017
« Reply #210 on: May 03, 2017, 03:22:03 AM »
I really hope Simpson wins the general election in November. With her at the helm I could see an extended street car route to uptown maybe even north side and walnut hills beyond that.

I could see a city that truly cares about preservation ensuring that every historic building remaining be converted to either affordable housing or other alternatives.

This city has so much potential, its insane. With the right mayor and the right council members, this city can literally be anchoring a true bonafide rennisance period if Simpson claims victory this year.

Offline seicer

• Premium Member
« Reply #211 on: May 03, 2017, 07:13:48 AM »
Are TIGER grants even being distributed? Even with Simpson as mayor, I am doubtful that an extension would receive federal funding with this political climate.

Offline PAlexander

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #212 on: May 03, 2017, 10:05:38 AM »
^Agreed. Plus, what should be happening first is all new construction within 3 blocks of either side of the streetcar should be without parking, and empty parking lots in that area should get built on as soon as possible.

The problem with the focus on Phase 2 is the same as it has always been- people can't imagine the future without seeing it first.  That's why those trips to Portland were organized.  There's much less animosity to the streetcar now that it exist.  The thing that is needed next is people seeing, "Oh, the densities that are so charming in other cities that I might visit, like New York, or Paris, or even a small European city like Florence, are achievable here so long as there is a good public transit network."  The route to Clifton is less important than increasing density around the existing line.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #213 on: May 03, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
Let's be very clear about this. The streetcar is not going to be extended in the next four years, no matter who is mayor. Chris Wetterich wrote a great op-ed about this in the Business Courier. Cranley is the only candidate talking about streetcar expansion right now. He has been saying over and over, "Yvette Simpson wants to spend a hundred bajillion dollars to extend the streetcar," and it has actually stuck with a lot of people. Yvette has not made any comment about extending the streetcar, where it would go, or what route it would take. And we don't know how much any particular extension would cost because we haven't studied them yet. And yet people just take it for granted that, "Yvette is going to expand the streetcar."

Cranley is trying to make this another campaign about the streetcar because it's his only hope of winning. He doesn't have very many accomplishments to point to because many of his positive ideas have failed (i.e., parks levy). The only real positives that he can point to are accelerating road repaving and giving huge raises to city employees.

So, please, let's not let Cranley control the news cycle by making this yet another election about the streetcar. Please share that Business Courier op-ed with anyone that tries to claim it is.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Online GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #214 on: May 03, 2017, 10:31:38 AM »
Cranley doesn't have his old wizard power over black seniors this time. He still has it over middle-age West Side salesmen guys who hate the streetcar, so he shouldn't even waste his breath. They're not going to go Yvette. I suppose that falls into the category of base-rallying.

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Coach Bombay
  • 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • www.queencitydisco.com
    • Queen City Discovery - Cincinnati and Urban Exploration Photography
« Reply #215 on: May 03, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »
I think the focus of a Yyvette term needs to be on transit in general. Maybe there's a discussion later on about further study for Phase 2 or something similar, but in the meantime there's a lot of good that can be done to help the existing streetcar route:

- Transit only lanes (that also help out buses)
- Priority lights/proper signal timing (that also help out buses)
- Coming to a solution on Metro's funding woes.

We can continue making the current streetcar even better and rallying support for a potential Phase 2. I believe Simpson has alluded to potentially using the transit center. I'm not sure if that's feasible or provides any real benefit (as has been discussed in that thread), but it would be interesting to pursue and consider. A central bus hub that allowed for Metro/Tank/CTC customers to wait out of the elements would go a long way to making transit in this city somewhat more accommodating. Also allow for ride shares/taxis to use it, maybe even Greyhound/MegaBus/China Bus and we'd truly have a central hub.

Plus, the streetcar circulator is right above.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:09:46 AM by Gordon Bombay »
www.queencitydisco.com
^Cincinnati Urban Adventure

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #216 on: May 03, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »
Exactly. I think that we should study where the streetcar should go next, what route it should take, and how much it would cost. Once we have that information, we can make an educated decision about whether and when to move forward with that.

What will happen if Yvette becomes the mayor is that these dumb problems we're having with Phase 1 will go away. We can easily add traffic signal priority for the streetcar and buses and make our downtown grid more efficient. We can do a better job of enforcing traffic laws along the route and ticket/tow people who park on the tracks. We can add better signage and pavement markings to prevent people from driving in transit-only lanes and stopping on tracks. There are a million low-cost ways that Phase 1 can be improved that we have thrown around on this forum, but will never get implemented under our current mayor.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Coach Bombay
  • www.queencitydisco.com
    • Queen City Discovery - Cincinnati and Urban Exploration Photography
« Reply #217 on: May 03, 2017, 02:09:19 PM »
^Amen.

As a side note: I ride the streetcar almost daily. I've seen a lot of fare checking by CPD, yesterday was the FIRST time though I saw someone not in compliance and watched an officer issue them a citation. The woman who received the citation was pretty upset, gave the cop a lot of attitude, etc.

Officer handled it well. "Gotta pay the fare."

www.queencitydisco.com
^Cincinnati Urban Adventure

Online Brutus_buckeye

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #218 on: May 03, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
I almost feel as if Richardson would have been a tougher opponent for Cranley than Simpson. This is 2013 all over again. Richardson had a strong bloc of college kids and Union support. Cranley has strong Union support and Richardson would have split that. Those that don't like Cranley for transit were not going to vote for him. I think Richardson actually overlapped more with Cranley's voting blocs than Simpson.

Offline brian korte

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #219 on: May 03, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »
Are TIGER grants even being distributed? Even with Simpson as mayor, I am doubtful that an extension would receive federal funding with this political climate.

Not a TIGER grant, but Sacramento got $50M in this congressional budget for their streetcar (http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article147892159.html)

You'd think as a Trump state with a powerful Republican Senator and Republican Congressmen we could get money... right? Right?

Offline brian korte

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
I almost feel as if Richardson would have been a tougher opponent for Cranley than Simpson. This is 2013 all over again. Richardson had a strong bloc of college kids and Union support. Cranley has strong Union support and Richardson would have split that. Those that don't like Cranley for transit were not going to vote for him. I think Richardson actually overlapped more with Cranley's voting blocs than Simpson.

I see your point but not sure I agree with it. If you're a Richardson voter and you've already essentially said "John Cranley isn't my guy" what makes you want to vote for him in November? Rob ran much more as the "anti-incumbent" candidate than he did the "union" candidate. Yvette is obviously far closer to anti-incumbent than John.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #221 on: May 03, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »

Not a TIGER grant, but Sacramento got $50M in this congressional budget for their streetcar (http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article147892159.html)

You'd think as a Trump state with a powerful Republican Senator and Republican Congressmen we could get money... right? Right?

But then again, our Republican Governor hates Trump and vice-versa.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • An Apollo Legend
« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
^Amen.

As a side note: I ride the streetcar almost daily. I've seen a lot of fare checking by CPD, yesterday was the FIRST time though I saw someone not in compliance and watched an officer issue them a citation. The woman who received the citation was pretty upset, gave the cop a lot of attitude, etc.

Officer handled it well. "Gotta pay the fare."

A few months ago I saw a police officer call out a teenage boy (well maybe 18 or 19) for having a spiked drink on the streetcar.  He was with his family and the officer took the drink and threw it out at the next station.  He told the boy that he wasn't going to arrest him in front of his family but then incredibly the boy back talked the officer.  Everything got tense on the streetcar because we were all expecting a dramatic scene but the officer just strolled away and went back to where he was standing before the incident began.  I bring this up because in example after example, the problem passengers are the suburban frat types, not the homeless and "velosiraptors" Joe Deters warned us about. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:41:16 PM by jmecklenborg »

Online Brutus_buckeye

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2017, 04:07:37 PM »

I see your point but not sure I agree with it. If you're a Richardson voter and you've already essentially said "John Cranley isn't my guy" what makes you want to vote for him in November? Rob ran much more as the "anti-incumbent" candidate than he did the "union" candidate. Yvette is obviously far closer to anti-incumbent than John.
If it was Richardson v Cranley, Richardson would have likely won the anti-incumbent vote, along with the streetcar, urbanist downtown voters and college crowd. He did well with the college crowd as is but Simpson obviously was the preferred choice of the urbanist downtown crowd. So Richardson would have got that vote too. Cranley's key strength is his labor ties, and Richardson would have cut into that because he had strong connections to the labor crowd. Simpson is essentially going to be running a turnout race, i.e. can she turn out her supporters more than Cranley, whereas, Richardson would have been able to cut into Cranley loyalists a bit better. Now the downside is Richardson may not have motivated as many Simpson voters to turn out so he may have lost some support on that end, but who knows. It would have been interesting.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #224 on: May 03, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »

Richardson might have a strong following, but he wasn't able to mobilize them to come out and vote yesterday. I think that because Richardson is a political outsider, his followers aren't the same people that usually get involved in local politics or understand the day-to-day of what happens at City Hall. So, many of the people that voted for Richardson yesterday may not have even had a very strong opinion about Cranley or Simpson or know what they support.

College kids are a mixed bag because while they can sway things if they show up to vote in big numbers, many of them probably aren't registered to vote in Cincinnati. I'm pretty sure that I stayed registered at my parent's house the first year or two I lived on campus. And if his campaign would've made a big effort to get students registered, it definitely would've caught the attention of the "Ohio Voter Integrity Project", the group that has actively tried to void the voter registrations of college students by finding any little mistake or process error.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 04:14:04 PM by taestell »

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2017, 04:19:16 PM »
I'm surprised Cranley's campaign has thus far focused so heavily on the streetcar. It was his biggest political failure as mayor - his 2013 campaign promised to stop construction, and he failed. Now, he's running a campaign focused on stopping expansion. He's making almost the same promise he failed to deliver on last time. This just reminds everyone of his previous failure, in lieu of focusing on some of the things he's done right. You'd think $600,000+ would buy someone a better campaign strategy. 

Online bfwissel

• My Cincinnati Life
« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »
I'm surprised Cranley's campaign has thus far focused so heavily on the streetcar. It was his biggest political failure as mayor - his 2013 campaign promised to stop construction, and he failed. Now, he's running a campaign focused on stopping expansion. He's making almost the same promise he failed to deliver on last time. This just reminds everyone of his previous failure, in lieu of focusing on some of the things he's done right. You'd think $600,000+ would buy someone a better campaign strategy. 

When talking to my barber today he was happy to say he'll vote against due to his failure to stop the streetcar.  Even though Simpson was a supporter of the project there is a lot of venom towards Cranley for letting it get finished.
"Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Online Brutus_buckeye

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2017, 04:39:53 PM »

Richardson might have a strong following, but he wasn't able to mobilize them to come out and vote yesterday. I think that because Richardson is a political outsider, his followers aren't the same people that usually get involved in local politics or understand the day-to-day of what happens at City Hall. So, many of the people that voted for Richardson yesterday may not have even had a very strong opinion about Cranley or Simpson or know what they support.

College kids are a mixed bag because while they can sway things if they show up to vote in big numbers, many of them probably aren't registered to vote in Cincinnati. I'm pretty sure that I stayed registered at my parent's house the first year or two I lived on campus. And if his campaign would've made a big effort to get students registered, it definitely would've caught the attention of the "Ohio Voter Integrity Project", the group that has actively tried to void the voter registrations of college students by finding any little mistake or process error.

He certainly capitalized on that but he also had the Union machine behind him along with the NAACP and urban league due to his father's role in leadership of these organizations. While the casual outsider may not have voted for him because they did not want a Cranley or Simpson, political lightweight his is not. He is very well connected amongst many of the power brokers. Almost more so than Simpson. Put it this way, you don't become the director of UC board of trustee's based on your leadership vision, it helps to have friends in high places.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2017, 04:45:43 PM »
^ But didn't many of the unions endorse Cranley before the primary? Especially police and fire, but some others as well? I think Richardson would've had a hard time convincing members to vote for him when their leadership is telling them to vote for Cranley.

Online Brutus_buckeye

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
^ many did, but Richardson got in the race late too. Unions also typically demur to the incumbent, but Richardson would have been able to get some strong support if he had advanced and if it would have been a two way race, he would have had considerable labor support.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »
Cranley: Why the November election will be different

Mayor John Cranley says he believes his path to victory in November over Councilwoman Yvette Simpson rests with increasing voter turnout in areas where he traditionally has done well with voters, particularly Cincinnati’s West Side.

“There’s going to be a larger turnout in November,” Cranley said in a phone interview on Thursday. “We believe that can help us.”

Simpson finished first in Tuesday’s mayoral primary with 45.1 percent to Cranley’s 34.5 percent. Attorney Rob Richardson Jr. finished third with about 20 percent of the vote.

Only 11 percent of the city’s registered voters cast ballots on Tuesday, nearly double the percentage that did so in the 2013 primary. That year’s primary saw Cranley wallop then-Vice Mayor Roxanne Qualls, who also predicted at the time that the November results would be different for her because more people would vote.

That didn’t happen. In fact, Qualls did worse in the general election than the primary election, losing the general 58 percent to 42 percent compared to 56 percent to 37 percent in the primary with two minor candidates taking the balance.

Full article below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/04/cranley-why-the-november-election-will-be.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Online neilworms

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »
This is a really good analysis of the sort I missed back in 2013:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2017/05/04/what-do-maps-tells-us-cincinnati-mayoral-election/101300600/

In short I think Simpson outperformed Qualls among african american voters (as I've said before that's what will determine the election, they united with the conservatives last time), however Richardson's voters remain a wild card for areas like College Hill...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:47:23 AM by neilworms »

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »
Someone on Cranley's social media team just learned how to use Boomerang! https://instagram.com/p/BUKqFaWAI50/

Offline Rabbit Hash

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »
Someone on Cranley's social media team just learned how to use Boomerang! https://instagram.com/p/BUKqFaWAI50/

Freaking awkward.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • 부자태
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #234 on: May 18, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
Mayor’s office mistakenly declares “Tre Day” in honor of Cincinnati cop killer

Mayor John Cranley is apologizing to police leaders after his office mistakenly named a day for the man who killed Cincinnati police officer Sonny Kim.

A staffer on Thursday approved a proclamation declaring June 1 as “Tre Day”  in honor of Trepierre Hummons. [...]

Hummons killed a veteran Cincinnati Police Officer Sonny Kim on June 19, 2015.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:56:39 PM by taestell »

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
Mayor’s office mistakenly declares “Tre Day” in honor of Cincinnati cop killer

Mayor John Cranley is apologizing to police leaders after his office mistakenly named a day for the man who killed Cincinnati police officer Sonny Kim.

A staffer on Thursday approved a proclamation declaring June 1 as “Tre Day”  in honor of Trepierre Hummons. [...]

Hummons killed a veteran Cincinnati Police Officer Sonny Kim on June 19, 2015.

If Cranley's  opponents are less than scrupulous and want to win at all costs, they can now destroy his career with "TreDay" commercials, Willie Horton style.   

Remove Ads