Author Topic: Cincinnati: Downtown: Central Parkway and Walnut Development  (Read 16619 times)

Offline thebillshark

• 771'-Terminal Tower
Re: Cincinnati: Downtown: Central Parkway and Walnut Development
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »
Here's the street level view of that corner:

Here's a link to the July 24 packet (125 mb): https://www.dropbox.com/s/neqeba63vo7q9gv/2017.07.24.pdf?dl=0

Really hope that corner gets a taller add-on some day. That is not a flattering side of the County Admin. Building to leave exposed for all time.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Obtaining Glory on UrbanOhio since 2008.
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
It would be a great place for an ArtWorks mural in the mean time...
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline Toledophisher

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2017, 10:08:13 PM »
I noticed today that the parking lot is now closed and they have removed at least one billboard with a crane and another they're working on. No is currently parking on the last as of Monday of this week (less a few rebels). It looks like it could move quickly! 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »
Aerials from July 2:

Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline Chas Wiederhold

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »
I would just LOVE if this development ushered a redesign of Court Street that gave it the public space and the canopy that 8th has between Elm and Vine. And before you holler... there would still be parking.

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »
If you kept just the parallel parking on the north and south edges, minimized the width of the driving lane, and then used everything else as a public space you could create a really great street out of Court. I really hope/believe 3CDC will push for something to happen here to make it more hospitable.

Offline atlas

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2017, 05:53:36 PM »
Or make the south side of it 2-way and close down the north side to make a widened linear plaza for pedestrians. Get tons of green in there to take advantage of the solar amenity on that side of the street and to really give it good vibes.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »
Hey, that's not a bad idea. I hope 3CDC takes the time to truly re-envision the street and not just rebuild the streets and sidewalks in the existing configuration. And just ignore Dusty when he complains about losing a few metered parking spaces.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2017, 10:49:34 PM »
And I'll repeat -- move the streetcar transformer into the new parking garage. 

Offline Chas Wiederhold

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2017, 12:19:36 PM »
And while we're throwing out ideas based off of @taestell's photo: How about another 4 or 5 stories on top of the southern half of the Gateway Garage a la the Senhauser/7 at Broadway project to contribute to the midrise canyon of Central Parkway. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »
Can we also do something about Central Parkway between Main and Walnut? The two turn lanes from WB Central to SB Walnut have whittled down the median to the point where it basically doesn't exist. There is no reason why Central should be 10 lanes wide. DOTE needs to rethink this block and optimize it to be pedestrian friendly, especially since OTR residents are going to be walking across Central here with their groceries.

Offline jjakucyk

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2017, 03:14:18 PM »
^ And the barely 4 feet of sidewalk in front of Salvation Army.

Offline urbanpioneer

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2017, 07:11:12 PM »
I kind of doubt the developers would want Central Pkwy. between Main and Walnut Streets narrowed.  There'll be much more traffic in the area once the development's completed, with more shoppers, residents and office workers in the immediate vicinity.  Now that I'm thinking about it, Walnut can already be a nightmare during evening rush hours (somebody ban the pedal wagons then, please!) and it'll only get worse.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:53:29 AM by urbanpioneer »

Offline jjakucyk

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »
It could be narrowed a decent bit just by reducing lane widths.  Especially on the north side of the parkway there's some weird extra unused space (again in front of Salvation Army), like what appears to be a 12' to 14' parking lane.  https://goo.gl/maps/nL7noSQiaKN2

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
Central Parkway is narrower east of Main, but instead of expanding the sidewalks and "funneling" the traffic down, the two outermost parking lanes just get strangely wider, both on the north side where @jjakucyk mentioned but also on the south side in front of the 1-story building. They're like double-width parking lanes. Expanding the sidewalks would be an easy way to improve pedestrian friendliness. But ideally I would prefer that the city rethinks the need so so many center turn lanes on that block. Bring back the median!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:14:32 AM by taestell »

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2017, 10:47:38 AM »
From memory I believe that the parkway is 15 feet narrower between property lines in the block between Main and Sycamore.  That dates back to the fact that the block for the county courthouse was designated and platted before the canal itself.  That location was chosen because it was at the convergence of Reading Road and McMicken, which were the two original main roads out of the basin. 

The state designated the wider (155 feet?) section of Central Parkway from Main, around the bend, and up to Liberty in order to create an extensive public warf area that ensured that no one party could control the terminus of the canal.  That's what happened on the Thames in London and in many examples around the United States a public warf was dedicated in charters.  That's why Cincinnati had and still has a public landing at the central spot on the river.  They viewed the state-owned canal in the same way.  The various public markets in DT Cincinnati were also part of the same concept -- public land for commerce that could not be controlled by an aristocratic family for hundreds of years as was the issue all over Europe. 

Offline urbanpioneer

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2017, 11:09:33 PM »
In any case this development will truly transform the area.  The City's investment (new sidewalks and medians with pavers, uniform signage and metal supports for produce stand awnings, etc.) in Court Street 30 years ago was ill-timed, and occurred just as market-day vendors that used to line the street were dwindling in numbers.  Of course the rest of the CBD was in decline then too for several reasons, as Baby Boomers began moving to suburbia and exurbia in search of better schools when their children got older.  Now they're empty nesters and coming back in droves.

When I used to grocery shop regularly on Court Street years ago, it became a bleaker and bleaker experience as time went by.  I'm so glad 3CDC has taken an interest in the area and I hope it won't be too long before the surface parking lot south of the new Kroger's is developed.  Those lots have been eyesores for too long, considering Walnut Street's such a major artery into the CBD.

Remove Ads