Author Topic: Cincinnati: West End: Development and News  (Read 8381 times)

Offline greatgooglymoogly

• 367'-PNC Bank
  • drive to the ocean/swim good
Re: Cincinnati: West End: Development and News
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »
This is the stable that houses the carriage horses for downtown.

Every once in awhile there is a Facebook flair up with people alleging the animals are being abused by being housed there, but the facility is inspected by the SPCA.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/12/carriage-horses-focus-of-cruelty-debate-/5439297/

The flare-ups usually regard the cruelty of horse-drawn carriages operating on busy city streets, not where the animals are housed.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 12:21:20 PM »
Apartments open in former West End school

Sands Montessori School on Poplar Street in the West End has new life.

The former school at 940 Poplar St. opened last week as the Sands Senior Apartments.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/11/14/apartments-open-in-former-west-end-school.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »
^That flew under the radar. I remember discussion of it, but don't remember it actually starting construction.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.”

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline Yves Behar

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 01:22:20 PM »
I work a block away and drive by that building a lot and I had no idea that much of anything was going on. I knew it was being renovated but it's been awfully quiet over here.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2016, 02:43:24 PM »
Over neighborhood objections, panel OKs change needed for St. Vincent de Paul expansion

St. Vincent de Paul, a social service agency offering food, a pharmacy, dental and eye clinics, counseling, and other services, will expand in a new building across the street from its current site in Cincinnati’s West End under zoning changes unanimously approved by the Cincinnati Planning Commission on Friday.

Some West End residents and the neighborhood’s council objected to the decision, saying that the West End is oversaturated with social services. St. Vincent de Paul has been at its current facility at 1125 Bank St. since 1962, but other social services that had been in Over-the-Rhine have moved west as that neighborhood has redeveloped.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/12/16/over-neighborhood-objections-panel-oks-change.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline oakiehigh

• The majority of sprawl in this country is produced by those who are fleeing from sprawl.
  • 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
...there's a reason that Elm Street and Main Street resonate in our cultural memory. It's not because we're sentimental saps. It's because this pattern of human ecology produced places that worked wonderfully well, and which people deeply loved. - Jim Kunstler

Offline jwulsin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »
Glad to see Deeper Roots moving their production facility to the West End:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/10/exclusive-cincinnati-coffee-roaster-moving.html

Combined with the new coffee shop they're opening next to Findlay Market, they're going to have a much stronger presence in the urban basin.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 06:46:10 PM »
21-unit condo redevelopment announced for the strip of buildings in the 400-block of Wade St.  This is between Central Ave. and John St., right behind the Cincinnati Ballet's building on Central Parkway. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:49:18 PM by jmecklenborg »

Offline oudd

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 09:49:58 AM »
I never noticed that tiny stretch of non-destroyed West End. Seems so random to have that cluster of buildings while pretty much everything else old south of Liberty aside from Betts-Longworth was demolished.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 11:58:59 AM »
I never noticed that tiny stretch of non-destroyed West End. Seems so random to have that cluster of buildings while pretty much everything else old south of Liberty aside from Betts-Longworth was demolished.

Almost everything on the west side of John St. was demolished but the blocks between John and Central Parkway weren't touched by urban renewal.  But there will still a lot of tear-downs...the Taft High School stadium obviously used to be row buildings and in fact the parcels all still exist.  If you look at historic aerials you will see a pretty amazing narrow but 400-foot long building that created a "T" in the center of the block south of Wade St.  The property is now owned by the Jehova's Witnesses.  The 400-foot mid-block lot is still there but the bottom of the T is in the CPS stadium property. 

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2017, 04:12:36 PM »
According to the auditor's website, "HOAMTDD REAL ESTATE, LLC" bought this property on April 29, 2016 for $25,000.

Now listed for...$500k!
https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/CIN/1533242/514-Oliver-St-Cincinnati-OH-45214

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »
^ I saw that listed and couldn't believe it. I looked it up on CAGIS and it looks like they did do some renovation work, but they had a lot of problems getting their permits and inspections so I don't know how professional a job it was. I also kind of doubt it was $475,000 worth of renovations.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
^ I saw that listed and couldn't believe it. I looked it up on CAGIS and it looks like they did do some renovation work, but they had a lot of problems getting their permits and inspections so I don't know how professional a job it was. I also kind of doubt it was $475,000 worth of renovations.

It's in an island of nothing, not an area of "rapid redevelopment" as they claim. 

Offline SleepyLeroy

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 06:38:48 PM »

It's in an island of nothing, not an area of "rapid redevelopment" as they claim.

and only 20min to Kenwood Town Center!!

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 10:19:36 PM »
$5 million office project coming close to downtown

A full-service international research and consulting company is building a $5 million office building near downtown in Cincinnati’s West End.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/06/27/5-million-office-project-coming-close-to-downtown.html

Remove Ads