Author Topic: Brooklyn: IKEA superstore  (Read 29892 times)

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Brooklyn: IKEA superstore
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »
I thought this thread was about Brooklyn, NY, until reading the above comment. 

Offline Loretto

• Premium Member
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2016, 06:29:24 PM »
You'd think with all the work to increase capacity at the Tiedeman interchange that Brooklyn might know something we don't.

They started that work two years ago. Obviously the planning even before that. Place is a total cluster when Key lets out. You'd sit over there and hear fire/EMS sirens and just think "well somebody is screwed."

Offline eyehrtfood

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:58 AM »
Ikea scorecard: April 2017 (all have or are building stores, except those noted).... So it's about time for CLE, isn't it?

2010 Metro Rank
1   New York   
2   Los Angeles   
3   Chicago   
4   Washington, DC   
5   Boston   
6   San Francisco   
7   Dallas   
8   Philadelphia   
9   Houston   
10   Atlanta   
11   Miami   
12   Detroit   
13   Seattle   
14   Phoenix   
15   Minneapolis   
16   Cleveland/NEO                       NO IKEA
17   San Diego
18   Denver   
19   St. Louis   
20   Orlando   
21   Tampa   
22   Sacramento   
23   Pittsburgh   
24   Charlotte   
25   Portland   
26   Cincinnati   
27   San Antonio   
28   Kansas City   
29   Indianapolis   
30   Columbus   
31   Las Vegas   
32   Austin   
33   Milwaukee   
34   Raleigh-Durham                        JUST ANNOUNCED - May 2017
35   Salt Lake City   
36   Norfolk/Virginia Beach   
37   Nashville                                JUST ANNOUNCED - May 2017
38   Greensboro/Winston-Salem        NO IKEA
39   Louisville                                NO IKEA
40   Jacksonville   
(oh, and Memphis...)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:05:52 AM by eyehrtfood »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2017, 07:59:27 AM »
Did the mother of IKEA's CEO die in a car crash here or something?
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2017, 08:21:52 PM »
I was told today (second hand, but from a good source) that this site is still actively in play, and is the ONLY site in Cleveland Ikea is willing to build. I forget the details of it, but basically the type of wetland designation is one that the Army Corp's of Engineers does not cover, but instead is under the jurisdiction of the state. So things are going to be appealed and worked through the state.

My own thinking now: Since the state of Ohio doesn't give a SH!T about the environment, we should see Ikea here sooner or later.

Offline Urbanophile

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2017, 10:42:31 PM »
Why the hell would they absolutely rule out the potential site in Garfield Heights? That one seems like an equally viable choice, just without the environmental concerns.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2017, 06:48:10 AM »
Why the hell would they absolutely rule out the potential site in Garfield Heights? That one seems like an equally viable choice, just without the environmental concerns.

There's environmental concerns as well there, just not like across the freeway.   Perhaps more importantly, there's the perception of environmental concerns.

Garfield Heights in that area is also getting a less than stellar reputation.  Brooklyn may be no worse in definable terms, but again perception carries a lot of weight in a case like this.

Brooklyn's probably got a more competent city government too.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2017, 12:49:21 AM »
IKEA update: Both Raleigh-Durham and Nashville had new IKEA stores announced in the last week, alone...  Unreal.  Of the top 40 markets noted above, 37 will now have stores - and Cleveland/NEO will be the only region in the top 37 not to have one.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/05/25/ikea-nashville-announcement/345242001/

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/05/18/ikea-confirms-plans-for-2020-store-opening-at-cary.html

The one change from most recent announcement of stores/articles about/leading up to announcements - the past few years  - is a comment that it takes a long time to find a location for one of their stores (and have looked in said market for x year..- them mentioning they are still looking in CLE after years without a site)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:59:53 AM by eyehrtfood »

Offline audidave

• 947'-Key Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2017, 02:47:41 PM »
Here's a crazy idea: an ikea on the lake. Also, use it as a shipping and distribution location to other ikeas. That would be very green since it would reduce the amount of trucks driving to the stores from the east coast. Sweden is practically on the way from the current freighter line that comes into the Port of Cleveland.

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »
From WKYC last night:

http://www.wkyc.com/life/shopping/northeast-ohio-ikea-prospects-remain-as-columbus-opens/445355419

The IKEA rep's language about no specific timeline or committed location in CLE is similar language with regards to "location and timeline" to what he has used in other metros just prior to store announcements... In Norfolk and Raleigh, both announced in the last year, he has used almost identical language - in published reports of IKEA rumors - within 3-4 months of store announcements. (He has other language for use when there is not a chance of a store, etc...)

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2017, 05:25:10 PM »
"IKEA focused on Cleveland..." - was supposed to open in CLE 1st per their president:

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170606/with-columbus-store-ready-to-open-ikea-now-focused-on-cleveland

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2017, 01:51:19 AM »
Here's pretty strong evidence, from a local real estate insider, that IKEA may announce a northwest corner 480/Transportation Blvd location in the "very near future"  - a year since the published reports on this site began and public officials went silent...... (For those keeping score, most recent IKEA new store announcements have occurred on Tuesdays or Thursdays... so keeping an eye on the calendar...)

http://www.grs-global.com/messin-with-sasquatch-in-cleveland/

If this is the location, will be interesting to see what might become of the nearly vacant CityView center on the south side of this intersection... The increased traffic might be enough to make something happen there...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:16:19 AM by eyehrtfood »

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »
If this is the location, will be interesting to see what might become of the nearly vacant CityView center on the south side of this intersection... The increased traffic might be enough to make something happen there...

I can't find a news article, but I have heard that CityView was sold recently. The property isn't in good shape and any new development will have to deal with the perception problem and the fact that Giant Eagle has used its veto power in the past to stifle just about every suggested use for the adjacent storefronts.

Regardless of what happens with CityView, if Bridgeview is indeed going to be the location for Greater Cleveland's IKEA, Garfield Heights should finally complete the long discussed project of extending Transportation Boulevard to Rockside Road.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:28:35 AM by Clevelander17 »

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
IKEA has two Cleveland stores: one is on Polaris Pkwy in Deleware County or you can shop the original Cleveland store in the west suburbs of Pittsburgh. Pretty clear they have no interest in NE Ohio despite all their claims of shopping for a "perfect" spot. Somehow they have managed to find these spots all over the rest of the country.

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
IKEA has two Cleveland stores: one is on Polaris Pkwy in Deleware County or you can shop the original Cleveland store in the west suburbs of Pittsburgh. Pretty clear they have no interest in NE Ohio despite all their claims of shopping for a "perfect" spot. Somehow they have managed to find these spots all over the rest of the country.

Although some may consider Columbus to be a suburb of Cleveland, that is still a mighty long trek for Clevelanders. Pittsburgh is in another state. No thanks.

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2017, 04:45:57 PM »
Cleveland CSA = 2.7 million
Columbus CSA = 2.1 million
Pittsburgh CSA = 2.6 million

Cleveland should have its own IKEA.

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2017, 05:12:13 PM »
I completely agree Cleveland should have it's own. IKEA clearly has some sort of commitment issue with the area. So when I hear these rumors of IKEA it's a lot of hot air to keep Cleveland people hopeful and sucker them to drive to the "Cleveland" stores in Pittsburgh and now Columbus. IKEA is becoming the ultimate Cleveland "troll".

With the growth of Amazon why pave over more land for a big box store that might not exist in a decade. IKEA is already making changes to counter Amazon and feeling the pressure. Maybe, Cleveland will get the last laugh in this charade after all.

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
I completely agree Cleveland should have it's own. IKEA clearly has some sort of commitment issue with the area. So when I hear these rumors of IKEA it's a lot of hot air to keep Cleveland people hopeful and sucker them to drive to the "Cleveland" stores in Pittsburgh and now Columbus. IKEA is becoming the ultimate Cleveland "troll".

With the growth of Amazon why pave over more land for a big box store that might not exist in a decade. IKEA is already making changes to counter Amazon and feeling the pressure. Maybe, Cleveland will get the last laugh in this charade after all.

IKEA seemed pretty committed on the Brooklyn site - purchase agreement and all - until the Army Corps stepped in and screamed "wetlands."

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2017, 06:54:37 PM »

Eh, Amazon can't grow much more in that space... or in a lot of spaces really. It's the thrift stores that are the real problem for all furniture retailers. With the stigma removed from going to the thrift store a massive amount of money never gets spent since furniture is sold at 10 cents on the dollar at them as compared to new.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:55:04 PM by GCrites80s »

Offline McLovin

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2017, 08:12:21 PM »
I think the biggest issue is that Cuyahoga County, due to its big boom back in the day, is a built out county. There is probably very slim pickings in the county that can satisfy the needs of IKEA so easily and that probably is causing a big issue.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2017, 10:52:36 PM »
I think the biggest issue is that Cuyahoga County, due to its big boom back in the day, is a built out county. There is probably very slim pickings in the county that can satisfy the needs of IKEA so easily and that probably is causing a big issue.

But does it have to be built in Cuyahoga County?  Both of Ohio's IKEAs are not in their primary county but in adjacent, growing suburban counties (Butler and Delaware).  Could it not be built in, say, Medina or Lorain County?  I'm not saying it should but Cuyahoga would be an anomaly in this state for the primary county to get one.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2017, 11:38:07 PM »

But does it have to be built in Cuyahoga County?  Both of Ohio's IKEAs are not in their primary county but in adjacent, growing suburban counties (Butler and Delaware).  Could it not be built in, say, Medina or Lorain County?  I'm not saying it should but Cuyahoga would be an anomaly in this state for the primary county to get one.

Every market is a bit different, of course - and while in Columbus, the IKEA sits north - though close to other major shopping areas - and in Cincinnati the IKEA also is north - but between two major metro areas - IKEA is on record in stating that they want a central location for the NEO location - likely taking the east/west Cleveland areas and the southern Akron/Canton markets into consideration. Here's what was said when Elyria pitched a deal after the Brooklyn deal fell through:

"Joseph Roth, an Ikea spokesman, said that while the company is still scouting out possible locations in the Cleveland area, it isn’t looking to go too far east or too far west, which makes Lorain County a “pretty unlikely” destination.

“We’re looking for something a little more central in the metropolitan area,” he said.

Cities from across the region, including from the counties east and west of Cuyahoga County have both reached out to the company since the announcement earlier this month that the Brooklyn land Ikea had been considering was out of the running."

http://www.chroniclet.com/news/2016/02/23/Ikea-rep-County-a-bit-too-far-west-for-NE-Ohio-store.html

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2017, 11:48:59 PM »
IKEA wants to be as close to the core as possible in Cleveland--even if the Pittsburgh and Detroit stores are out in the boonies.

Offline PIB Guy

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2017, 10:15:08 AM »
I think a lot of people are missing the point here.  I'm sure Ikea knows a store could be successful in Cleveland.  I imagine a great deal of their discussions revolve around, what will a store in Cleveland do to stores in Columbus or Pittsburgh.  Similar to Crate and Barrel.  Sure, it would succeed in Westlake, but would that cause the demise of Lyndhurst or vice versa. 

As far as opening in Medina, heck no.  That would kill either Columbus Ikea or Medina Ikea.  And Streetsboro, that would compete with Pittsburgh.  The last thing a retail entity wants to do is compete amongst themselves.  Too many retail Giants have destroyed they're companies by doing so. 

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2017, 10:29:21 AM »
Actions speak louder than words.

IKEA had a very limited financial investment in the Brooklyn site and bailed before the Army Corps even made a decision because they would have had to invest more.

Since that time IKEA built a store on Polaris that is situated to attract Cleveland shoppers. A location much like the one in Pittsburgh. Then they claim there are no good retail locations for a store in the metro. Meanwhile, markets half the size of Cleveland are getting IKEA's. It just feels like they have no respect for the NE Ohio retail market. IKEA built your new Cleveland store, it's in Columbus.

Cleveland is so overstaturated with retail that Amazon bought Randall Park yet IKEA can't find a site anywhere to suit their needs? Sounds like they are trying string loyal IKEA shoppers along.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:34:36 AM by AmrapinVA »

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2017, 11:01:35 AM »
MOST people I know would not drive to columbus or pittsburgh or detroit for an ikea. Ikea would still stand to make more $ by opening a CLE store, even though it may impact Detroit and Pittsburgh (and Columbus if people go there) a tiny bit, as the net number of new customers would be profound. Stores make money on repeat customers. For the 3MM people in CLE, going to a store in CLE could be done every month or so. But those 3MM people, who may drive to Pitts/Detroit for a few items, will do that only when big purchases are needed---thus would bypass the frequent purchases of all the little stuff that Ikea sells plus all that frozen food by the cash registers. In other words, I assume IKEA knows all this, and thus a CLE store is still in their planning.

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2017, 11:08:52 AM »
According to IKEA, 1/3 of the sales at the Pittsburgh store are from NE Ohio. I'm sure Polaris was built in mind to attract more Cleveland shoppers as well. Why would IKEA canabalize these stores when they can sucker so many Clevelanders to drive? They're actions over the last 3 years are screaming this is what they want. There's no site in all of NE Ohio to build an IKEA? Meanwhile they're starting to build second stores in markets Cleveland's size? C'mon.

IKEA doesn't respect the market, why do Clevelanders invest in them? They are "trolling" Cleveland big time.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2017, 11:10:14 AM »
To people from other countries all of Ohio is Cleveland

Offline MidwestChamp

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2017, 08:27:05 AM »
I have no desire to be the last city to get an Ikea anyway.  If this were 10 or 15 years ago, sure.  But much like Ohio's late arrival to casinos it's just too late to be a draw beyond our region in any significant way.  A Cleveland Ikea will not pull any new dollars from other metros, so what's the fuss, outside of Ikea loyalist upset at the drive to Pitt or Cbus. 

I think Ikea has peaked anyway, at least in the big box form.  I'd rather see us get the first Ikea "mini store on main street" in a development like FEB, or in a historic building in Lakewood or something.  THAT would be unique.  Here's an article on Ikea trying out this format in the UK, Norway and other EU locales:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/17/news/companies/ikea-store-london-click-and-collect/index.html

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2017, 07:16:47 PM »
It will keep money IN the CLE metro and introduce untold numbers to IKEA for the first time. I have spent thousands of $ at IKEA in the last 20 years on my now college senior's room, including hundreds of $last week in Pittsburgh (which was slammed...) - and many hundreds more $ on the way when taking her east to school/her first apartment this week. Wish I could have spent that in CLE,for easier transport/decisions, etc...  Pretty much every bit of bedroom furniture and bedding and rugs and storage and knick knacks for her 21 years has been from IKEA. There is a reason they are popular, whether it is everyone's thing or not. C'mon Garfield Heights.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »
I have no desire to be the last city to get an Ikea anyway.  If this were 10 or 15 years ago, sure.  But much like Ohio's late arrival to casinos it's just too late to be a draw beyond our region in any significant way.  A Cleveland Ikea will not pull any new dollars from other metros, so what's the fuss, outside of Ikea loyalist upset at the drive to Pitt or Cbus. 

I think Ikea has peaked anyway, at least in the big box form.  I'd rather see us get the first Ikea "mini store on main street" in a development like FEB, or in a historic building in Lakewood or something.  THAT would be unique.  Here's an article on Ikea trying out this format in the UK, Norway and other EU locales:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/17/news/companies/ikea-store-london-click-and-collect/index.html

yeah, that would be fine. thats the next thing in retail anyway. the amazon locker shops are setting the pace. you just don't need a big box showroom for that kind of merch when nowadays you have 360 views of products online. you just need a place to pick up and return things. same for groceries. i'm not sold on that kind of concept for clothes though.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2017, 09:15:39 PM »
^you can't buy furniture by looking online. You can't see the real finish quality or stability. Take IKEA, for example---some stuff looks great online---when I went to check it out--I didn't like it. I'd rather have a full-sized Ikea here than some smaller, lesser version.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2017, 11:35:02 PM »
^ well you can probably buy most of what ikea offers by looking at it online, but yeah not all of it. if these new ikea mini stores are anything like amazon locker rooms, or maybe an even better example is actually bonobos (where they keep one of every item on hand), or something like that, you can get to see it in person or they can get it for you and you can take it back. i think that is the idea anyway. who knows if it works in the long run and how these changes in retail plays out?
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
Recent court filings show something is stirring at Interstate 480 and Transportation Boulevard in Garfield Heights: https://t.co/TpnYsdftJn
"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others." – Winston Churchill

Offline eyehrtfood

« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
Here's Michelle's story from today about the Transportation Blvd/480 NW corner Bridgeview land finally approved to change hands - in as little as a week or so... Perhaps we'll hear more soon...

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/09/bridgeview_crossing_site_in_ga.html

Remove Ads