Author Topic: Brooklyn: IKEA superstore  (Read 26005 times)

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
Brooklyn: IKEA superstore
« on: August 20, 2015, 08:42:58 AM »
This should probably have its own development thread now. A site map is at the link below....

Ikea proposal for Brooklyn site sees pushback from environmental groups (photos)
By Michelle Jarboe McFee, The Plain Dealer
on August 19, 2015 at 3:52 PM, updated August 20, 2015 at 7:15 AM

BROOKLYN, Ohio – Northeast Ohio shoppers might be pleased at the prospect of an Ikea store opening in this suburb southwest of Cleveland.

But local organizations focused on the region's water quality aren't so happy that the Swedish furniture retailer has zeroed in on a site on Tiedeman Road.

In a letter dated Aug. 11, a committee that represents local governments, nonprofits, businesses and watershed groups asked the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to reject Ikea's request to build a store that would erase 15.5 acres of wetlands.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2015/08/ikea_proposal_in_brooklyn_sees.html#incart_river
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline originaljbw

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • Livin in the OB!
Re: Brooklyn: IKEA superstore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:15:38 AM »
Just have them put new wetlands where the super Kmart stood... Solved.
-Mea Gloria Fides-

Offline BCCLE1

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:27:59 AM »
The Super K-Mart site is being looked at for a Menards.

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 01:58:07 PM »

Or how about the City View Center in Garfield Heights? There, problem solved. Plenty of room there.

Offline CLE618

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 12:53:34 PM »

Or how about the City View Center in Garfield Heights? There, problem solved. Plenty of room there.

Yes... Put it there! Things will just sliiiiide into place.

Offline inlovewithCLE

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »

😂😂😂

Offline OHKID

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 06:55:41 PM »
Just as an FYI.... Indianapolis will be getting an IKEA store:

http://www.wthr.com/story/30477305/ikea-to-announce-plans-for-fishers-store-on-tuesday

Or at least their plans are as far along as the ones for the Brooklyn site, although they did officially announce the store on Twitter.

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 07:43:39 PM »
An Indy store will mean IKEA will now be in 30 of the top 32 metros... With NEO (around 18th) and San Antonio.(around 27th) the only ones without.

Offline TheCOV

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »
IKEA has gone downhill considerably with all of this expansion.  They are constantly out of products, which isn't a good thing when most shoppers have a significant investment just to visit one of your stores. 
I no longer rely on them for what I once used as go-to items in my house or apartment renovations.  I just can't count on them having the item, or having sufficient quantities.
Finally, they have become more like Target in how quickly they rotate out styles. Things don't stay around for years at a time anymore. it's like nothing at IKEA is "Classic IKEA" anymore. 

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 09:43:22 PM »
What was the Army Corps decision on the Brooklyn site? And what was Ohio EPA's position, which was to be released after taht of the Army Corps?

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 07:11:32 AM »
IKEA has gone downhill considerably with all of this expansion.  They are constantly out of products, which isn't a good thing when most shoppers have a significant investment just to visit one of your stores. 
I no longer rely on them for what I once used as go-to items in my house or apartment renovations.  I just can't count on them having the item, or having sufficient quantities.
Finally, they have become more like Target in how quickly they rotate out styles. Things don't stay around for years at a time anymore. it's like nothing at IKEA is "Classic IKEA" anymore. 

I'm not a huge fan of Ikea or their products and once I moved out of my college house I donated all my Ikea furniture to my brother and have been replacing it over the last two years with quality furniture built to last since their products are generally incredibly cheap and not worth the cost savings.

That being said there are a handful of things they do decently well or offer at a price that is quite competitive. My condo has a 9' x 5' balcony that is quite comfortable with the exception of the floor being metal grate. Nothing like relaxing and being able to see 50' down to the ground and your neighbors' balconies below you.

Ikea offers an acacia wood decking that was perfect to cover it up so I went to the store at the beginning of summer. They had one package (covers 9 square feet) of the decking. Go online. Sold out with an estimated delivery date of 1.5 months. I asked if I could reserve some when the store got them in stock but they said they don't do that so I'd have to call everyday to check to see if they were delivered and then rush out to make sure I got them since their delivery size was basically only enough to cover my balcony. Why on earth a product like this wasn't stocked in time for summer baffles me. Yet they had four display areas with it on the ground that each took up roughly 100 square feet. Advertising a product you can't even get is pretty crappy.

They also once sent me the wrong bed frame and their records showed me buying a different frame than the receipt I printed. No idea how that happened but they refused to pick it up without charging me their obnoxious $90 delivery fee they attach to basically anything and everything. So I had to go through the process of finding a friend with a vehicle bigger than mine to bring it to the store. So the $90 I had spent to get the frame delivered (since it was out of stock originally) went down the toilet since they didn't view it as a mistake on their end despite me showing them my receipt that said otherwise.

I think Ikea is a great introduction into affordable modern furniture design which pleases me but their products and general lack of quality in build and customer service keeps me away from their stores. I have my handful of tiny items (decking, pots for plants, and a mirror) from there but that's about as extensive as I'm willing to invest my money into Ikea products.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:20:06 AM by jmicha »

Offline Ram23

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 07:50:42 AM »
I have had no problems with Ikea bathroom vanities (have one in each of my bathrooms) and kitchen cabinets, especially considering the fact that the kitchen cabinets were about 1/2 the cost of even an entry level Home Depot kitchen cabinet line. Unfortunately, as mentioned above, they redo their products so often that they don't make any part of the kitchen I installed just 2 1/2 years ago (granted their kitchens had been around for a couple decades by then).

Offline jmicha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 07:54:24 AM »
If you build them yourselves their cabinets are a great deal. They're similar quality to premade cabinets from Home Depot or Lowes but like you mentioned around half as much. They're one of the things Ikea does the best.

Offline MissinOhio

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 09:45:34 AM »

http://www.wthr.com/story/30477305/ikea-to-announce-plans-for-fishers-store-on-tuesday

Or at least their plans are as far along as the ones for the Brooklyn site, although they did officially announce the store on Twitter.

Uh, ok...

Nothing to do with Cleveland

Offline dave68

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 04:12:32 PM »
Why did Ikea settle on Brooklyn as their choice location?

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 04:57:03 PM »
Why Brooklyn? Central location it appears though it would be crammed into the space  (a multi story location south of San Francisco airport comes to mind). I think they said they reviewed 32ish locations. CLE just doesn't have that vacant visible highway land in most desirable retail spots like in Columbus, Cincy, Indy... (except for #1 below)

I still hold out two wild card locations if Brooklyn doesn't work. SE corner of Harvard/271 (near an original IKEA area of interest 15 years ago) and the Rt 8/I80 interchange near Hudson where Bass Pro and Costco are locating.

Offline OHKID

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »

Uh, ok...

Nothing to do with Cleveland

I was thinking it might be a sign they will officially pull the trigger on the Cleveland store soon and start work.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:13:05 PM by OHKID »

Online Jskinner

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 07:35:17 AM »
Are all the IKEA stores a SUPERSTORE or is this one proposed to be bigger than others?

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 08:20:19 AM »
This Indy store will be on the smaller side of their new store square foot range - under 300K sqaure feet.  CLE proposed store mid 300K square feet.

Note: new St Louis store also just opened (mid 300K) and article says IKEA looked at 30+ locations over 10 yeara. Settled on surprising inner ring industrial site.

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 08:30:11 AM »
Any news/knowledge on what was the Army Corps decision on the Brooklyn site? And what was Ohio EPA's position, which was to be released after that of the Army Corps?

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 06:23:18 AM »
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline jeremyck01

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 03:35:52 PM »

I don't get it. Is it supposed to be funny or just a comment on the quality of IKEA?  I don't think it achieves either.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 04:40:02 PM »

I don't get it. Is it supposed to be funny or just a comment on the quality of IKEA?  I don't think it achieves either.

IKEA is always "assemble it yourself" when you buy items there...nothing to do with quality.   
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 01:18:11 AM »

If the priest in the cartoon were to assemble the crucifix, he'd be nailing Jesus to the cross like the Romans, which is why he's unsure if he should have purchased from Ikea.
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline Clevecane

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 02:16:26 AM »
Meanwhile, any updates? I've been wanting to IKEA while I'm on vacation. It's that bad... When will we join the IKEA-laden cities?!
“This region gave birth to the whole twentieth century, and now it’s being discarded.” - Richard Stuebi, Cleveland Foundation

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 12:29:44 PM »
Interesting---can't find any info on the Army Corps or Ohio EPA on the IKEA issue--and its been a while---I thought the Army Corp had 90 days to respond and that was a long time ago. I'm also trying to follow this story.  KJP may be able to dig something up---he's really good at it!

Offline jeremyck01

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 08:53:33 PM »

If the priest in the cartoon were to assemble the crucifix, he'd be nailing Jesus to the cross like the Romans, which is why he's unsure if he should have purchased from Ikea.

Got it. Thanks. I kept thinking it was a comment on quality, but it was an "assemble it yourself" joke. It's funny how we (meaning me) can miss the obvious:)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:54:46 PM by jeremyck01 »

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 11:38:41 AM »
It's sort of hard to believe that with all the wetlands we've already lost in Northeast Ohio, that they can't (or won't) find a non-wetland property to acquire for this project.

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 10:44:07 PM »

City View, no, but the land just across the freeway in Garfield Heights would seem to make sense. Not sure if there is enough land available there, but the location is great. There has been talk of an outlet mall going in there, but I'm not sure if that's ever going to become a reality. Here's how it is marketed (all of the things that would make this a great place for an outlet mall seems to apply to a potential IKEA):

http://www.craigrealtygroup.com/App_Assets/CMSDocs/LeasingBrochures/LeasingBrochure-cleveland.pdf

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 01:22:39 PM »

City View, no, but the land just across the freeway in Garfield Heights would seem to make sense. Not sure if there is enough land available there, but the location is great. There has been talk of an outlet mall going in there, but I'm not sure if that's ever going to become a reality. Here's how it is marketed (all of the things that would make this a great place for an outlet mall seems to apply to a potential IKEA):

http://www.craigrealtygroup.com/App_Assets/CMSDocs/LeasingBrochures/LeasingBrochure-cleveland.pdf

For the record I was totally joking about City View. Seagulls don't even want to go there.

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 04:42:22 PM »
For the record I was totally joking about City View. Seagulls don't even want to go there.

I get that, but this other location is not City View and was never a landfill. It is about a mile from the I-77/I-480 interchange and has great visibility.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 05:27:16 AM »

I get that, but this other location is not City View and was never a landfill. It is about a mile from the I-77/I-480 interchange and has great visibility.

True and it has much better access to the surrounding area than Cityview.  But I suspect the latter has tarnished the area's reputation.
"I mean, this man just can't be president of the US. I mean, they got this button, it's in a briefcase, he's gonna find it."
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 04:00:45 PM »

Wait a second...is it downhill from the Cityview/landfill?

Lol, I'm reading a Pulitzer winning book about how my home town on the Jersey Shore was a secret toxic waste dump. Hello cancer cluster! 

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 04:10:16 PM »
Chromium in Jersey City?
Vibrate your greenspace today with Frank Jackson

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 04:16:55 PM »
Chromium in Jersey City?

Nah. It's "Toms River: A Story of Science and Salvation"

http://www.amazon.com/Toms-River-Story-Science-Salvation/dp/055380653X

To keep this on topic, there are several "hills" in the vicinity of the IKEA site that are obviously man made. Red flag. Back in the day these areas just outside city limits were prime dumping grounds for God knows what. Unfortunately there was a real lack of knowledge and foresight; it just made sense at the time.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 06:04:25 AM »

Wait a second...is it downhill from the Cityview/landfill?

No, uphill if anything and on the other side of 480.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 06:27:58 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2016/02/ikea_drops_plans_to_build_on_b.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Odd comment at the end.   C-bus isn't any closer to us than Pittsburgh or Detroit.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:29:37 AM by E Rocc »
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
Ikea drops plans to build on Brooklyn site, southwest of Cleveland http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2016/02/ikea_drops_plans_to_build_on_b.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:05:15 AM by KJP »
"Greater Cleveland is last in the country in number of jobs accessible in typical commute distance, creating a huge drag on economy and more air & water pollution."-- Vibrant NEO

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 08:16:45 AM »
Indy and Las Vegas are other recent new store announcements and 30 of the top 32 metros now have or will have IKEA stores.  I remember reading in Crains that they were looking at Cleveland at least as far back as 2001 (Chagrin Highlands). Don't understand how nothing can be found, regardless of specific property needs.

Offline MidwestChamp

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »
Sorry if that's been covered already but this seems like a perfect traffic driver to Pinecrest.  I wonder if room could be made there or somewhere else in the Chagrin Highlands?

However with that said I'm not upset if this thing does not get built at this point.  We missed the opportunity for an Ikea in Cleveland to be a regional draw anyway.  Isn't the model for their ginormous stores the ability for them to draw from several hundreds of miles away anyway?  We'll now be ringed by 3 stores each less than 200 miles away.  I think it would be damaging to our region's retail comeback story if an IKEA were built and it then be deemed unsuccessful because it can only draw from Cleveland/Akron metro.  At this point I'm more interested in attracting stores that aren't in Pittsburgh, Columbus or Detroit that can attract their shopping dollars here.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »
Sorry if that's been covered already but this seems like a perfect traffic driver to Pinecrest.  I wonder if room could be made there or somewhere else in the Chagrin Highlands?

However with that said I'm not upset if this thing does not get built at this point.  We missed the opportunity for an Ikea in Cleveland to be a regional draw anyway.  Isn't the model for their ginormous stores the ability for them to draw from several hundreds of miles away anyway?  We'll now be ringed by 3 stores each less than 200 miles away.  I think it would be damaging to our region's retail comeback story if an IKEA were built and it then be deemed unsuccessful because it can only draw from Cleveland/Akron metro.  At this point I'm more interested in attracting stores that aren't in Pittsburgh, Columbus or Detroit that can attract their shopping dollars here.

If I was Arhaus I would be all over this gap.  They could put an outlet and/or showroom in their existing Walton Hills plant right by the casino, adjacent to their new plant in Boston Heights, or hell...both.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Online roman totale XVII

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2016, 09:33:23 AM »
It's a pity this is getting pushed back to the point it may never happen, as we will soon have 3 Ikeas within 2-3 hours drive.

I agree with the above posters that we should have something more unique to the region. Personally, I'd love a BO Concept downtown, or even at Croker, Eton etc.

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »

Well Pinecrest land can't handle an IKEA BUT the land immediately South across Harvard, which Jacobs just announced for 2 restaurants, a Drury Inn, and office building, is PRIME space for IKEA - and with an already improved off ramp. However, local restrictions on big box stores likely in play at CHighlands (thanks Mayor Marcia Fudge) to keep it out.

Minimum IKEA requirements something like 2MM population within 60 miles and 30+ highway viaibke acres. CLE/NEO has 4MM within an hour of any centrally located IKEA. Columbus and Indy will have 2MM within same drive. I am not worried about IKEA prospects. 25%+ of PIT IKEA sales have been rumored to be from NEO.

Also: related to the above - Arhaus is planning a 20K Sq ft Pinecrest store/showplace I hear and the land by their new HQ, which will have Costco/Bass Pro, could and should be a potential IKEA location to check out... as it is central enough to NEO cities and Rt 8/271/80 access adjacent/nearby.

IKEA site requirements per their Joe Roth contained here:
http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=542362

(CLE far surpasses many cities already with stores on these)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:41:45 PM by eyehrtfood »

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2016, 02:51:44 PM »
Why do you folks think IKEA won't build in the Cleveland area? Does anyone have a real idea?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2016, 03:18:38 PM »
Interesting....

.@clevelanddotcom @IKEAUSA use vacant American Greetings property...why destroy Big Creek #wetlands? So many existing large sites available

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 04:08:22 PM »
Existing AG building spot a half mile off/not visible from highway = breaks several IKEA site rules...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:15:22 PM by eyehrtfood »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »
Tear down the First Energy Lakeshore plant and build the IKEA there.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 05:47:32 AM »
Tear down the First Energy Lakeshore plant and build the IKEA there.

There is no way in Hades that a foreign based retailer is going to build on a site with that sort of potential CERCLA issues.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 06:01:38 AM »
Except where's the justification for site clean up without a potential user?

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2016, 06:34:48 AM »
Except where's the justification for site clean up without a potential user?

Exactly.  Hence the vicious circle that is CERCLA.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2016, 09:39:53 AM »
The old Randall Mall site?  Maybe it would help that decrepit area as opposed to bulldozing more green space.   
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Online Firenze98

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2016, 10:16:57 AM »
The old Bridgeview Crossing site off of Transportation Blvd, north of I-480?  The retail site crashed during the recession but right off highway and visible.  Not sure who controls that site.
"All architecture is shelter, all great architecture is the design of space that contains, cuddles, exhalts or stimulates the persons in that space."
Philip Johnson

“Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!”  
Leonardo da Vinci

AIA, LEED BD+C, EDAC

Offline I Went West

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »
Hasn't IKEA been looking for 20 years now in greater Cleveland? There's so much vacant space in the area. Had they truly wanted to been in Cleveland they would have made something work by now.

With cbus opening in 2017 I'd wager than the odds of Cleveland getting an IKEA is low sadly.

Offline Oldmanladyluck

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »
Euclid Square Mall (Church Square Mall now).  close to I-271, 90, and Route 2.  Two freeway exits (E. 260th and Babbit Rd).  A little over a mile from the lake.  Very visible from the freeway heading both east and west.
A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
-Mohandas Gandhi

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2016, 03:02:23 PM »
Hasn't IKEA been looking for 20 years now in greater Cleveland? There's so much vacant space in the area. Had they truly wanted to been in Cleveland they would have made something work by now.

With cbus opening in 2017 I'd wager than the odds of Cleveland getting an IKEA is low sadly.

But few are large, clean-n-green sites within sight from interstate highways, next to highway interchanges.

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2016, 03:25:53 PM »

But few are large, clean-n-green sites within sight from interstate highways, next to highway interchanges.

I certainly feel we will get an IKEA... 2x the size of markets like Columbus and Indy amd SLC and Jacksonville etc which are getting them stores or have them. Stores 2-3 hrs away are not competition.

And when I think of relatively central to CLE/Akron/Canton (and/or other major retail) green tracts of land, SE corner of Chagrin/Harvard (size restrictions for retailers aside) is tops,  Rt 8/I80 by new Arhaus and Seasons Road exit on route 8 in Hudson area (previously rumored for IKEA).

I also agree NW corner of 480/Transportation would have crazy visibility on that hill... but that could be some problem land.

Sure, Avon or Medina might have room, but further from the masses.

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »
The old Bridgeview Crossing site off of Transportation Blvd, north of I-480?  The retail site crashed during the recession but right off highway and visible.  Not sure who controls that site.

I've mentioned this site several times now. I think would be perfect.

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2016, 07:42:11 AM »
I would love to see that site off of Transportation redeveloped for it. Or the Outlet mall that was proposed a couple years ago. It has everything going for it, and would be a great boost for Garfield Hts, which could surely use a nice shot in the arm. Does anyone know just how big it is though? Is it big enough for Ikea's needs?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 10:24:18 AM »
I thought that development at Cityview was stopped by the EPA because of methane from the landfill underneath?

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 11:26:47 AM »
I thought that development at Cityview was stopped by the EPA because of methane from the landfill underneath?

Bridgeview is on the north side of 480, Cityview is south.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2016, 01:38:19 PM »
A map of the site, my recollection is that the acreage is enough for Ikea:

http://www.garfieldhts.org/userfiles/file/economicdevelopment/OutletsOfCleveland.pdf

I have no idea what's going on with the Outlet Malls. Probably never going to happen, but whoever owns it should do something to ensure that this prime piece of realty can be developed. And the extension of Transportation Boulevard to Rockside Road would need to be part of the plan.

Offline freethink

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2016, 02:57:06 PM »
live small  dream big

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
Just throw in Ikea as an anchor and a couple parking garages and we'll be looking pretty good!

Offline OHKID

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »
Quick question - what happened to all the box anchors on the other side of the interstate? That whole center is dead, but it looks relatively new. Where did they all go?

I was curious and looked up the site (btw, looks like a good one for Ikea). I'm hoping they do it, but IMO just from the map the Randall Park site makes more sense
IF they could get zoning and land to put a big IKEA sign at the intersection of 480 and 271.

Interstate access would be good, and they would be within spitting distance of Pinecrest and all the higher end stuff in Gates Mills/Beechwood/etc.
Also would have a lot of Solon within the 5-10 mile radius, which should drive up the median incomes in the area.

Or they could buy out the self storage facility and low-rent apartment complex at the SW corner of the 480/271 interchange and build there.
IMO if they want visibility this seems like an easy way to get it.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2016, 06:48:10 PM »
Quick question - what happened to all the box anchors on the other side of the interstate? That whole center is dead, but it looks relatively new. Where did they all go?

Go over there, light a match and you'll get your answer.

(FYI I mentioned the reason why above)

Offline OHKID

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2016, 10:48:14 PM »
Ah. I see. Methane. Why hasnt the center been imploded yet?

Offline eurokie

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
Ah. I see. Methane. Why hasnt the center been imploded yet?

It's probably pretty hard to book a wrecking ball these days.  :roll:
Travels, issues, and ideas: www.greenlakebluecity.com

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2016, 05:25:37 AM »

Looks dead unless you pull in.  Giant Eagle is still open as are a few others, IIRC.

You want "dead", go to Rockside and Northfield.  Ironically, the latter location's Walmart replaced Cityview's.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »

Looks dead unless you pull in.  Giant Eagle is still open as are a few others, IIRC.

You want "dead", go to Rockside and Northfield.  Ironically, the latter location's Walmart replaced Cityview's.

The strip next to the freeway with Chipotle and Starbucks is full other than what use to be a Chili's (I think). Other than that Giant Eagle and First Merit Bank are the only things open in the actual City View Center. Who knows how long first Merit will be open there too with the merger with Huntington since there is a current Huntington branch in Giant Eagle.

Meadowbrook at Rockside and Northfield has got to be the saddest shopping center in Cleveland. If it wasn't so far from the highway for Ikea's need for visibility, I'd say it would be a good site. Otherwise that whole (huge!) area needs bulldozed. Would probably be much better off redeveloped as housing.

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2016, 07:13:31 AM »
A stray comment about IKEA on CLE.com caught my attention. A poster said IKEA was looking at an empty piece of land just east of Lowe's in Bedford Heights (technically, I believe) - which is just east of 271 on Miles Road and immediately South of 422 (where continues East from 480). This is essentially on the SE side of the larger interchange where Randall Park is on the NW side.

I took note because this is not a spot an average Joe would just pick out of the blue - the person would almost have to know something - and yet it is maybe 1/4 mile off highway, quite visible from the road (especially 271, which is almost on top of the aforementioned Lowe's) - and central to an interchange that brings traffic from 4 directions. Pretty much exactly what IKEA is looking for, save for an open field somewhere. Interesting.

CarMax and Tim Lally Chevrolet recently built large complexes just across the street.. so the area is getting noticed. Sure, it's likely just a runor, but it makes sense - and if Bedford could score this, well.....
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:16:33 AM by eyehrtfood »

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2016, 08:18:19 AM »
That is such a weird spot to get to amongst that jumble of highway ramps etc.   

I go to that Lowe's quit a bit and even though there is good highway visibility, wondered when they decided to build CarMax about the weird access issues and figured likely only the locals would know how to get to these places easily. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:14:19 AM by willyboy »
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »
A stray comment about IKEA on CLE.com caught my attention. A poster said IKEA was looking at an empty piece of land just east of Lowe's in Bedford Heights (technically, I believe) - which is just east of 271 on Miles Road and immediately South of 422 (where continues East from 480). This is essentially on the SE side of the larger interchange where Randall Park is on the NW side.

I took note because this is not a spot an average Joe would just pick out of the blue - the person would almost have to know something - and yet it is maybe 1/4 mile off highway, quite visible from the road (especially 271, which is almost on top of the aforementioned Lowe's) - and central to an interchange that brings traffic from 4 directions. Pretty much exactly what IKEA is looking for, save for an open field somewhere. Interesting.

CarMax and Tim Lally Chevrolet recently built large complexes just across the street.. so the area is getting noticed. Sure, it's likely just a runor, but it makes sense - and if Bedford could score this, well.....

That's Bedford Heights, and north of Miles is Warrensville Heights.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:18:58 AM by E Rocc »
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2016, 10:23:12 AM »

A very good location. I see the spot the poster is referring to. The site is twice the size of the neighboring Lowe's. It's just opposite of the end of the ramp from 271 NB. The access road into an IKEA could be the south road of a four-way intersection with east-west Miles Road, and the I-271 ramp being the road coming in from the north.

In this era of GPS navigation, finding an IKEA located here shouldn't be a problem for those unfamiliar with the area.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »

A very good location. I see the spot the poster is referring to. The site is twice the size of the neighboring Lowe's. It's just opposite of the end of the ramp from 271 NB. The access road into an IKEA could be the south road of a four-way intersection with east-west Miles Road, and the I-271 ramp being the road coming in from the north.

In this era of GPS navigation, finding an IKEA located here shouldn't be a problem for those unfamiliar with the area.

For what it's worth that is the old Mr. Coffee plant location.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2016, 07:12:50 PM »

Mobsters!! ;)

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2016, 05:44:06 AM »

Mobsters!! ;)

Are you saying CERCLA isn't the main reason they shouldn't dig there?   :)
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2016, 07:13:10 AM »
I'll take the 5th. Mr. Coffee had some interesting characters "working" there.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:15:02 AM by KJP »

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »
Crains morning update has article link that notes IKEA has been contacted by numerous CLE-area cities in wake of the no-go Brooklyn news:

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2016/02/23/ikea-rep-county-a-bit-too-far-west-for-ne-ohio-store/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:51:05 AM by eyehrtfood »

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2016, 09:38:33 AM »
^good to see that IKEA wants to be central and not pushing sprawl.

There's a big piece of land north of steelyard, great visibility from I-71. See SW corner of Steelyard and Quigley. That's a great spot. maybe relocate the stand-alone bldgs for Key Bank and Steak-n-Shake if need be.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »
I'll take the 5th. Mr. Coffee had some interesting characters "working" there.

Keep in mind DiMaggio was their spokesman.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:12 PM »
I did some rough measuring. The Steelyard site is the same size as the Brooklyn site--so it would fit. Plus highway access AND highway exposure.  :yap:

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2016, 02:22:04 PM »
^good to see that IKEA wants to be central and not pushing sprawl.

There's a big piece of land north of steelyard, great visibility from I-71. See SW corner of Steelyard and Quigley. That's a great spot. maybe relocate the stand-alone bldgs for Key Bank and Steak-n-Shake if need be.

That's not "central" either, in the metropolitan area.  Especially if Akron-Canton is factored in.

Bridgeview and the old Mr. Coffee site are moreso.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2016, 07:15:11 PM »
I wouldnt say it's that visible from the highways either, especially when compared to Bridgeview. The shopping center level is quite a bit lower than the freeway levels.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2016, 11:46:25 PM »
It's quite central when you consider transportation routes. It's right off 71/176 and within a mile or two of 90/490, 77, and 480.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2016, 05:10:56 AM »
It's quite central when you consider transportation routes. It's right off 71/176 and within a mile or two of 90/490, 77, and 480.

But not physically central, which is what they mean.  Especially when they factor in the Akron MSA.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:11:08 AM by E Rocc »
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2016, 05:15:29 AM »

The strip next to the freeway with Chipotle and Starbucks is full other than what use to be a Chili's (I think). Other than that Giant Eagle and First Merit Bank are the only things open in the actual City View Center. Who knows how long first Merit will be open there too with the merger with Huntington since there is a current Huntington branch in Giant Eagle.

Meadowbrook at Rockside and Northfield has got to be the saddest shopping center in Cleveland. If it wasn't so far from the highway for Ikea's need for visibility, I'd say it would be a good site. Otherwise that whole (huge!) area needs bulldozed. Would probably be much better off redeveloped as housing.

That's the last thing the city of Bedford wants to see there. 
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »
IKEA Cleveland rumors have gone pretty silent...  A good sign?

Meanwhile, both Milwaukee and Norfolk have had new stores announced in recent months. Of the top 35 metros, only CLE, San Antonio and Nashville (can't find right spot in this boomtown they say) don't have stores now.

'bout time...

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2016, 05:20:36 PM »
Well it looks like the outlet mall plan at Bridgeview Crossing in Garfield Heights fell through. I still think that should be IKEA's spot!

Offline cfdwarrior

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2016, 07:53:47 PM »
I thought it was being built in Columbus...and plans for Cleveland were no longer a consideration?

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2016, 08:39:04 PM »
Columbus is getting one, too - but they just had a good spot pop up first. IKEA has been looking in CLE some 15 years The IKEA requirement is 2MM people within 60 miles... which is just about what Columbus has. CLE store will have 3.5MM in same distance, so we will get one, but location yet to be finalized, as last one killed by the EPA due to "wetlands."

Offline eurokie

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2016, 11:18:50 PM »
Columbus just recently hit 2 million and is one of the fastest growing metros in the northern US, not surprising that they jumped on it.

I think the Cleveland location should go on the Opportunity Corridor and that the city should find a way to procure some empowerment/enterprise zone monies, New Markets Tax Credits, income and corporate tax rebates, and any other applicable incentives. Then the city should find a way to connect such a site, perhaps using some of the aforementioned funding sources, to the RTA rail lines that parallel the Opportunity Corridor.

I don't think IKEA typically works with such complicated financing, BUT they'd get a lot of credit for joining the rust belt revival story of Cleveland, and that kind of financing would be needed to shield themselves from some of the financial risk they might initially fear.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:21:28 PM by eurokie »
Travels, issues, and ideas: www.greenlakebluecity.com

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2016, 07:56:42 AM »
^interesting. But IKEA likes visibility and access from the interstate system.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2016, 08:05:26 AM »
So there is no project anymore correct? or are they still scouting sites?

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2016, 08:06:57 AM »
as far as I know, still scouting.

Offline CLE618

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »
http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2016/03/10/new-outlet-mall-planned-for-garfield-heights

"I've signed a confidentiality agreement, but the outlet mall is not coming here. [Craig Realty Group] is pursuing a different venture," Collova told Cleveland 19. "If this new direction comes to fruition, I'm certain there won't be any disappointed people in Garfield. They'll be very happy.

Hmm.... Maybe?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:56:14 PM by CLE618 »

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2016, 03:21:27 PM »
IKEA would seem to be at the top of the list based on those clues...  I'm more curious what prompted the story on Channel 19...? A tipto station caused call to mayor? This was a minor outlet mall plan... not one that people would care is or isn't happening enough to keep tabs on it. That could be the sign of something breaking soon.... (Michelle?)

BTW, was just at the Detroit IKEA this weekend and surprised to find it is about a 1/4 mile off interstate - unlike others I have been to - with NO visibility of building from the road other than a very large sign placed away from the building by the road... (Visibility from road has been a stated requirement of new/recent stores). For those who know the Berea exit off I71, it was NW of an intersection full of mature businesses, in a spot similar to where the Kmart is - though lots of trees blocked view from surface stree, too... A top of hill/Transportation Blvd spot would be much more high profile.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:35:50 PM by eyehrtfood »

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2016, 06:37:17 PM »
That location is still my top choice for Ikea. I really don't see any negatives for it, other than it was mentioned before about being tied up in litigation from the previous development. Hopefully that's all cleared up by now. I'd normally be bummed out over the outlets falling through, but clearly there's still interest in developing some more in the city.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2016, 12:06:59 PM »
^ totally agree. meanwhile, i saw a photo in the cols dispatch this week that showed the blue is starting to show on their ikea store construction. i hope that opening doesn't stall ikea's thoughts about a cle area store as the pittsburgh ikea has seemed to for so many years now.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2016, 09:48:53 PM »
Reading an early May 2016 story about the recently announced Milwaukee IKEA - and Cleveland came up from the IKEA spokesman, Joe Roth:

"That exit off 94 and Drexel Avenue did not exist up until three or four years ago," Roth said. "And in some of the older, more established metropolitan areas it's just difficult to find 25 to 35 acres of land. We had the same challenge in St. Louis that took us 10 years. We've been looking in Cleveland and we still haven't found the site there. When you're going to put one store in the major metropolitan area, you just need to get it right the first time and it was worth the wait for us."

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2016/05/05/why-ikea-chose-to-open-its-first-wisconsin.html

And another CLE IKEA Joe Roth mention in a March 2016 story on a potential Norfolk store - finally announced in June:

"In the meantime, Hampton Roads shouldn’t feel too left out. There are only 41 Ikeas nationwide, with the 42nd opening in Las Vegas in May. Roth said it took 10 years before the company recently found a site in St. Louis, and it’s still looking for a spot in Cleveland. Stores for Memphis; Indianapolis; Columbus, Ohio; and Jacksonville, Fla., are opening within the next two years."

http://pilotonline.com/business/biz-buzz/so-when-will-ikea-come-to-hampton-roads-rabid-fans/article_951380a7-91c8-5da6-94dc-9a0652928942.html

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:56:17 PM by eyehrtfood »

Offline gottaplan

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Sidewalk Superintendent extraordinaire
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2016, 10:08:05 PM »
Rumored to be looking at the defunct Bridgeview site at 480 and Transportation

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2016, 10:38:57 PM »
Looks like they are exaggerating their space requirements.  I just looked at several Ikea sites on Google Earth and they seem to be mostly in the 15-20 acre range, with some as low as 10 acres (shared parking across the street at a mall).

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2016, 10:11:15 PM »
About time for an official IKEA Garfield Heights announcement, isn't it? I'm thinking so...

Online musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2016, 08:58:29 AM »
You'd think with all the work to increase capacity at the Tiedeman interchange that Brooklyn might know something we don't.

Offline originaljbw

• Livin in the OB!
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2016, 11:48:59 AM »
^especially with American Greetings moving
-Mea Gloria Fides-

Offline AmrapinVA

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
Reading an early May 2016 story about the recently announced Milwaukee IKEA - and Cleveland came up from the IKEA spokesman, Joe Roth:

"That exit off 94 and Drexel Avenue did not exist up until three or four years ago," Roth said. "And in some of the older, more established metropolitan areas it's just difficult to find 25 to 35 acres of land. We had the same challenge in St. Louis that took us 10 years. We've been looking in Cleveland and we still haven't found the site there. When you're going to put one store in the major metropolitan area, you just need to get it right the first time and it was worth the wait for us."

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2016/05/05/why-ikea-chose-to-open-its-first-wisconsin.html

And another CLE IKEA Joe Roth mention in a March 2016 story on a potential Norfolk store - finally announced in June:

"In the meantime, Hampton Roads shouldn’t feel too left out. There are only 41 Ikeas nationwide, with the 42nd opening in Las Vegas in May. Roth said it took 10 years before the company recently found a site in St. Louis, and it’s still looking for a spot in Cleveland. Stores for Memphis; Indianapolis; Columbus, Ohio; and Jacksonville, Fla., are opening within the next two years."

http://pilotonline.com/business/biz-buzz/so-when-will-ikea-come-to-hampton-roads-rabid-fans/article_951380a7-91c8-5da6-94dc-9a0652928942.html

Looking at the much smaller markets they're entering now, it's hard to believe they want to put a store in the Cleveland area for whatever reason. I can't believe it takes 20+ years to find a spot for what is simply another big-box store.

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »
I thought this thread was about Brooklyn, NY, until reading the above comment. 

Offline Loretto

• Premium Member
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2016, 06:29:24 PM »
You'd think with all the work to increase capacity at the Tiedeman interchange that Brooklyn might know something we don't.

They started that work two years ago. Obviously the planning even before that. Place is a total cluster when Key lets out. You'd sit over there and hear fire/EMS sirens and just think "well somebody is screwed."

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2017, 01:19:58 AM »
Ikea scorecard: April 2017 (all have or are building stores, except those noted).... So it's about time for CLE, isn't it?

2010 Metro Rank
1   New York   
2   Los Angeles   
3   Chicago   
4   Washington, DC   
5   Boston   
6   San Francisco   
7   Dallas   
8   Philadelphia   
9   Houston   
10   Atlanta   
11   Miami   
12   Detroit   
13   Seattle   
14   Phoenix   
15   Minneapolis   
16   Cleveland/NEO                       NO IKEA
17   San Diego
18   Denver   
19   St. Louis   
20   Orlando   
21   Tampa   
22   Sacramento   
23   Pittsburgh   
24   Charlotte   
25   Portland   
26   Cincinnati   
27   San Antonio   
28   Kansas City   
29   Indianapolis   
30   Columbus   
31   Las Vegas   
32   Austin   
33   Milwaukee   
34   Raleigh-Durham                        JUST ANNOUNCED - May 2017
35   Salt Lake City   
36   Norfolk/Virginia Beach   
37   Nashville                                JUST ANNOUNCED - May 2017
38   Greensboro/Winston-Salem        NO IKEA
39   Louisville                                NO IKEA
40   Jacksonville   
(oh, and Memphis...)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:05:52 AM by eyehrtfood »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2017, 07:59:27 AM »
Did the mother of IKEA's CEO die in a car crash here or something?

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2017, 08:21:52 PM »
I was told today (second hand, but from a good source) that this site is still actively in play, and is the ONLY site in Cleveland Ikea is willing to build. I forget the details of it, but basically the type of wetland designation is one that the Army Corp's of Engineers does not cover, but instead is under the jurisdiction of the state. So things are going to be appealed and worked through the state.

My own thinking now: Since the state of Ohio doesn't give a SH!T about the environment, we should see Ikea here sooner or later.

Offline Urbanophile

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2017, 10:42:31 PM »
Why the hell would they absolutely rule out the potential site in Garfield Heights? That one seems like an equally viable choice, just without the environmental concerns.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2017, 06:48:10 AM »
Why the hell would they absolutely rule out the potential site in Garfield Heights? That one seems like an equally viable choice, just without the environmental concerns.

There's environmental concerns as well there, just not like across the freeway.   Perhaps more importantly, there's the perception of environmental concerns.

Garfield Heights in that area is also getting a less than stellar reputation.  Brooklyn may be no worse in definable terms, but again perception carries a lot of weight in a case like this.

Brooklyn's probably got a more competent city government too.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2017, 12:49:21 AM »
IKEA update: Both Raleigh-Durham and Nashville had new IKEA stores announced in the last week, alone...  Unreal.  Of the top 40 markets noted above, 37 will now have stores - and Cleveland/NEO will be the only region in the top 37 not to have one.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/05/25/ikea-nashville-announcement/345242001/

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/05/18/ikea-confirms-plans-for-2020-store-opening-at-cary.html

The one change from most recent announcement of stores/articles about/leading up to announcements - the past few years  - is a comment that it takes a long time to find a location for one of their stores (and have looked in said market for x year..- them mentioning they are still looking in CLE after years without a site)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:59:53 AM by eyehrtfood »

Offline audidave

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2017, 02:47:41 PM »
Here's a crazy idea: an ikea on the lake. Also, use it as a shipping and distribution location to other ikeas. That would be very green since it would reduce the amount of trucks driving to the stores from the east coast. Sweden is practically on the way from the current freighter line that comes into the Port of Cleveland.

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »
From WKYC last night:

http://www.wkyc.com/life/shopping/northeast-ohio-ikea-prospects-remain-as-columbus-opens/445355419

The IKEA rep's language about no specific timeline or committed location in CLE is similar language with regards to "location and timeline" to what he has used in other metros just prior to store announcements... In Norfolk and Raleigh, both announced in the last year, he has used almost identical language - in published reports of IKEA rumors - within 3-4 months of store announcements. (He has other language for use when there is not a chance of a store, etc...)

Offline eyehrtfood

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2017, 05:25:10 PM »
"IKEA focused on Cleveland..." - was supposed to open in CLE 1st per their president:

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170606/with-columbus-store-ready-to-open-ikea-now-focused-on-cleveland

Remove Ads