Author Topic: FC Cincinnati Discussion  (Read 54485 times)

Online ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
Re: FC Cincinnati Discussion
« Reply #735 on: August 17, 2017, 04:40:24 PM »
FC Cincinnatiís TV ratings soar

More than 60,000 Greater Cincinnati households tuned in to at least part of the telecast of FC Cincinnatiís semifinal U.S. Open Cup soccer match on Tuesday night, making it the second-most-watched show of the night.

FC Cincinnatiís 3-2 overtime loss to Major League Soccerís New York Red Bulls posted a 6.1 rating, meaning 6.1 percent of all TV households in Greater Cincinnati tuned into the game broadcast on WSTR-TV (Channel 64), according to Nielsen TV ratings data.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/08/17/fc-cincinnati-s-tv-ratings-soar.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Coach Bombay
  • 665'-Queen City Square
  • www.queencitydisco.com
    • Queen City Discovery - Cincinnati and Urban Exploration Photography
« Reply #736 on: August 18, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »
That's a great article, and I agree with most all of your reasons why Newport would still be a great choice. I have thought a lot about how to refer to the Cincinnati urban core in a more inclusive way, usually referring to the "basin" to include downtown Cincinnati, Newport/Bellevue and Covington but we need a better name for the urban core that includes both sides of the river. Most normal people don't really know what you are talking about when you call it the "basin" however. I also tend to be a smart a$$ when people ask what part of town I live or what part I'm from and say the South Side. It takes a few seconds for them to remember that Cincinnati doesn't have a South Side, but then they laugh and ask if I'm from Covington.

I believe that to encourage Cincinnati to continue it's momentum it also needs Newport and Covington to pick up the slack and help that process in a 'rising tides lift all boats' kind of way. I think it is important for them all to provide something unique and complimentary. Cincinnati for sports and arts, Newport for family activities, Covington for bars/smoking...

Also it isn't mentioned in your article, but it's worth reminding people that the New York Giants/Jets both play in New Jersey, the Redskins play outside of Washington D.C. in Maryland etc.

Thanks so much for taking the time to check it out and read it over. Couldn't agree more about the rising tides lift all boats mantra, I feel like the Cov is starting to make some really positive momentum and my hope is that this stadium would be an impetus for Newport to take a more urban minded approach when connecting with Cincinnati.

Totally forgot to mention the Jets/Giants/RBNY thing, but didn't want to get too into the weeds about that and get people all hot and bothered about how "Columbus will still say they're Ohio's team."

For the record, only people in Columbus seem to care about The Crew.
www.queencitydisco.com
^Cincinnati Urban Adventure

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #737 on: August 18, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »
I actually like the idea of calling NKY the "south side". The NKY river cities have been trying to push the "South Bank" moniker for awhile but it hasn't really caught on, other than the South Bank Shuttle.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Coach Bombay
  • 665'-Queen City Square
  • www.queencitydisco.com
« Reply #738 on: August 18, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »
other than the South Bank Shuttle.

If a stadium lands in Newport, I really think TANK could boost ridership on this with some tweaks. Market it as a way to connect that stadium with Covington and Downtown Cincinnati and have hours that actually help out people on weekend nights. With $1 a ride, these faux trolleys would be PACKED on match days. 
www.queencitydisco.com

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • www.cincystreetcar.tumblr.com
« Reply #739 on: August 18, 2017, 01:58:48 PM »

If a stadium lands in Newport, I really think TANK could boost ridership on this with some tweaks. Market it as a way to connect that stadium with Covington and Downtown Cincinnati and have hours that actually help out people on weekend nights. With $1 a ride, these faux trolleys would be PACKED on match days. 

Southbank Shuttle and Streetcar and maybe routes 1 and 85 need to have a unified 'circulator' fare

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #740 on: August 18, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
Don't Metro and TANK already have a unified stored value card and a monthly pass option for both systems? They should install some TVMs at the Southbank Shuttle stops, make the passes valid on both systems, and share the revenue.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Offline MGM

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #741 on: August 18, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »

Yes, no need to park in Newport is you don't want to.

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa

Offline TroyEros

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #743 on: August 29, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
How would this be related to anything FCC wise?

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #744 on: August 29, 2017, 04:17:07 PM »
The ballet location is right next to where the proposed West End stadium would go. Come on man...

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #745 on: August 29, 2017, 04:24:09 PM »
Here is the location:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1127013,-84.5222101,371m/data=!3m1!1e3

This would be a great location for a stadium.  Easy access from two major roads, plus a subway stop. 

Offline ucgrady

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #746 on: August 29, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »
When I read that story this was my very first thought as well. It's hard to tell how this site would work either as an alternate or in combination with the Stargel Stadium site, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Online Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
    • Mark Vaughn
« Reply #748 on: August 29, 2017, 05:42:10 PM »
"There is no set timeline for finding a new facility at this point. The organization still has about six years on its existing lease and overall the ballet is ďvery healthyĒ from a financial stand point. Fundraising for a new facility has not started at this point and itís unclear what the total cost would be."
"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Offline Chas Wiederhold

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #749 on: August 30, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »
Pretty certain the ballet has been interested in finding a new location since before FCC has grown to what it is now, but that doesn't mean that FCC's success hasn't expedited their search.

I personally wonder if the story could be triggered or linked to the North Wing of the Main Library. Things that make you go hmmmm.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:13:42 PM by Chas Wiederhold »

Online Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
    • Mark Vaughn
« Reply #750 on: August 30, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »
I personally wonder if the story could be triggered or linked to the North Wing of the Main Library. Things that make you go hmmmm.

See: https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,133.msg871863.html#msg871863
"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Online ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #751 on: August 30, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »
What Market is FC Cincinnatiís Biggest Threat for MLS Expansion Bid

FC Cincinnati find themselves in the dog days of summer chasing a USL playoff berth for the second consecutive year. However, while the clubís league performances have not quite lived up to last yearís incredible inaugural campaign, FC Cincinnati did do well in the U.S. Open Cup. In fact, FC Cincinnati currently holds a 2-1 overall record against Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs. This Cinderella story of epic proportions has a lot of people asking how does FC Cincinnati not get an invitation to join MLS?

Going back to January of this year, twelve different teams/cities submitted bids to join MLS. Those twelve bids were from Raleigh, Charlotte, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Detroit, San Antonio, Saint Louis, Phoenix, Sacramento, and San Diego. Most of them have current USL or NASL teams attached to their bids, but not all of them. Detroit and San Diego would be new teams built from scratch, and Nashville will have a team eventually, joining USL in the Spring of 2018.

As of right now, we expect MLS to extend an invitation to two teams at the beginning of December, with two more invitations being offered by 2020. That will bring the total number of MLS teams to 28. MLS could expand beyond 28 teams and if I could speculate if there was such a thing as a ďhard capĒ on the number of teams in MLS, that number is probably 32. It is worth pointing out here that FIFA has a guideline that top-flight leagues be limited to twenty teams. But in years past, FIFA has mandated that leagues cap themselves to eighteen teams, and well, the world collectively shrugged its shoulders and ignored FIFA.

More below:
http://cincinnatisoccertalk.com/2017/08/28/market-fc-cincinnatis-biggest-threat-mls-expansion-bid
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #752 on: August 30, 2017, 04:07:43 PM »
^ As far the market and demographics go, Nashville is in a virtual tie with Cincinnati on things like TV market, Fortune 500 companies, and percentage of population under the age of 35.

Surprising to read this. I just assumed Nashville was overflowing with Millenials.

Online thebillshark

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #753 on: August 31, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »
Anyone have an extra ticket for the Bailey this weekend they'd be willing to part with? Message me to work out details if so

Online cincydave8

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #754 on: August 31, 2017, 08:19:39 AM »
Anyone have an extra ticket for the Bailey this weekend they'd be willing to part with? Message me to work out details if so

Try The Bailey Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1479848725665133/

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • www.cincystreetcar.tumblr.com
« Reply #755 on: August 31, 2017, 09:48:20 AM »
Pretty certain the ballet has been interested in finding a new location since before FCC has grown to what it is now, but that doesn't mean that FCC's success hasn't expedited their search.

I though the exact same thing about the North Library building, that or the UC Law School.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #756 on: August 31, 2017, 10:02:30 PM »

I though the exact same thing about the North Library building, that or the UC Law School.

I talked to someone at UC who has his finger on the pulse of such things, and he basically told me there's no way in h*ck that the College of Law is moving off campus.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 01, 2017, 08:36:56 AM »
^Yeah from the whole conversation about the Law College moving to the Banks, it sounded like they were set on keeping them on main campus. Speculating about a possible move seems like a waste of time.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.Ē

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #758 on: September 01, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »
^ This is a dead issue now. They closed the door on moving it over a year ago now.

Online ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #759 on: September 01, 2017, 04:16:22 PM »
Here's how much money UC makes from stadium lease to FC Cincinnati

FC Cincinnatiís big soccer crowds the past two years have netted the University of Cincinnati an extra $100,000-plus.

Thatís just one of the details unveiled in the pro soccer teamís lease with UC for its use of Nippert Stadium, the on-campus home of UC football, for home games and for practice and training. After weeks of waiting, the Courier has obtained a copy of the lease following a public records request to the University of Cincinnati. The lease, signed in Aug. 2015, covers FC Cincinnatiís first three seasons and is renewable after that.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/01/heres-how-much-moneyuc-makes-from-stadium-lease-to.html

Offline bendixondavis

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #760 on: September 07, 2017, 09:53:08 PM »

Online Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
    • Mark Vaughn
« Reply #761 on: September 13, 2017, 02:50:42 PM »

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #762 on: September 13, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »
^ I highly doubt that.

Offline Gordon Bombay

• Coach Bombay
  • 665'-Queen City Square
  • www.queencitydisco.com
« Reply #763 on: September 13, 2017, 10:06:15 PM »
^ I highly doubt that.

Yeah, I agree and frankly I'm surprised to see local governments scrambling to offer incentives for not a stadium, but a practice facility.
www.queencitydisco.com

Online ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #764 on: September 14, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »
Berding talks about FC Cincinnatiís upcoming record crowd

Amid a sea of records set by FC Cincinnati in its first two years of existence, the one it will set Saturday might be the most impressive.

The club will break the United Soccer League regular season single-game attendance record Saturday when it hosts New York Red Bulls II at Nippert Stadium on the University of Cincinnati campus.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/14/berding-talks-about-fc-cincinnati-s-upcoming.html

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #765 on: September 23, 2017, 10:51:58 AM »
PX: FC Cincinnati stadium issue back in political spotlight
Jason Williams, jwilliams@enquirer.com Published 4:56 p.m. ET Sept. 22, 2017 | Updated 9:09 p.m. ET Sept. 22, 2017

It's been really quiet lately on the FC Cincinnati stadium front.

But the public debate will heat back up on Tuesday night. Soccer fans are expected to show up en masse for a 7 p.m. public meeting at the Hamilton County Board of Elections in Norwood to implore commissioners to spend taxpayer money on a new stadium.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics-extra/2017/09/22/px/690116001/
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Remove Ads